Why no guppy fry's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are you intending to keeping the fry? keeping in mind that batches of over 100 arnt uncommon and thats a lot of extra waste. im not trying to be rude but every breeder i have delt with runs at least some kind of filtration, even if its just a HOB. its just about doing the best you can for your pets. belive me i love the whole biospher thing but fish are generally a little to complicated to do well in one.

ajaguilar said:
yea if I get a large number of frys I would ultimately need filtration. If.... lol

Daveho is just giving some helpful advice, what you decide to do with your tank is totally up to you. I have a female guppy that I've had since February and have yet to see a drop from her. I can see her gravid spot and can even see little eggs but nothing has developed from that. Maybe your male just hasn't fertilized your females. It was recommended to me at some point to get another male, that way when the new male went after the females, my original male would pick up on the hormones and go for it himself. But I never tried it because if I got another male I would have to get more females otherwise my ratio would be off. Then I would be overrun with guppies (again). And when they do drop the problem will not be if I get a large number of fry, the problem will be is what to do with them lol. My first guppy to ever drop had a total of three drops before I lost her, 36, 24, 30 that's 90 fry from just one guppy

ahh another good point, you have to have an outlet for your fry, i currently have a list of people willing to have free mollys but no one will pay for them. plus if they stay in a tank set up the way yours is you run the risk of an ammonia spike which can be fatal but then add a filter...which puts the tank into a cycle which can also be fatal. please just save yourself the heart ach and add an appropriate filter.

Butterfly,
I understand Daveho is giving helpful advice. I am aware of what filters do and have a 20 gal tank with a HOB. I have one male and 3 female. I now have 2 females separated in a 20 gal tank in case the fry were somehow being eaten before i saw them. Without the male the 2 female hide under my floating water lettuce and duck weed and or very timid. I think i will get another male and female guppy... When i look at the females they look so pergo but when i think they are gona let babies go its jut poop. lol

ajaguilar said:
Butterfly,
I understand Daveho is giving helpful advice. I am aware of what filters do and have a 20 gal tank with a HOB. I have one male and 3 female. I now have 2 females separated in a 20 gal tank in case the fry were somehow being eaten before i saw them. Without the male the 2 female hide under my floating water lettuce and duck weed and or very timid. I think i will get another male and female guppy... When i look at the females they look so pergo but when i think they are gona let babies go its jut poop. lol

Sorry we kinda got off topic for a minute. But this thread is not called why no filter its called why no guppy fry. so anyways back on track, I honestly don't think they are being eaten IMO I can't tell you that for sure but with the amount the my guppies have had I doubt that they would have been all eaten without you seeing at least one. I just think that they aren't being fertilized. Hence them looking like they are full of eggs but nothing ever goes from that stage. Or maybe they are aborting. Do you have a picture of your guppies?

thats true back to the topic, i have heard of eggs being absorbed by the mother however i havent done alot of reserch into the subject as im not trying for livebearer fry (just show up every few weeks).

Here is my guppy she has looked like this for four months and still nothing, my male takes no interest in her what so ever

View attachment 96454

Yes that is what they look like sometimes the spot gets darker other times just like in the picture. I can never get a good picture of them. I think you are right the fry are not occurring coming out (with my heavily planted tank some should survive). I am moving to a house next month and will get another male and female. I was told the females were prego when i got them since they were in with males but its possible they weren't and my male is shooting blanks.

Wow my girl friend looked into one of my tanks and she saw a baby guppy!!! We have now spotted 5 of them. I removed the dad and mom and now they swim freely all over the tank like they own it. Not sure how old they are but if baby guppies at birth are the size of baby gold fish these guys are weel over a week old. I had given up with the idea of having babies untill i move... which is this friday and then ...baby guppies! i guess my boy must not be shooting all blanks lol

Back
Top Bottom