Wigglers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally managed to get a batch of my angelfish eggs to the wiggler stage. This is what I did different: Previously I just took the object that they laid on, and placed it in my 29gal growout/breeder. After about 6 unsuccessful batches where everything got fungus and died, I decided to try something new. I put the filter intake tube with the eggs on it in a half gallon mason jar with an air tube going through the inside of the filter tube and blowing up along the eggs. I've also been adding 1/4 tsp hydrogen peroxide daily for fungus control. I came home today and found my wigglers. Almost all had been blown off the filter tube and were stuck to the floor of the jar, so I'll need to adjust that next time, but they all seem to be fine anyway. Looks like i had at least a 90% hatch rate. Only counted about 20 white eggs out of the maybe 600 eggs total. I'll keep you updated and get pictures if they get big enough to take pictures of.

day 2 update:
Wigglers are still intact. They have already developed heads and the starts of eyes. Things are moving pretty fast.

I managed to get a halfway decent shot of these tiny little buggers.
mg1358.jpg

fuzzy, yes, but you can mostly tell what's there
mg1359.jpg

Here's one that I used my digital wizardry to outline so you can better make out the shape

looks like I'm going to have to start up my brine shrimp hatchery again. haven't done that in almost a year

wigglers are still wiggling. Eyes and head have now become obvious. things seem to be moving along quite well.

I'm so happy for you. This must be quite the thrill! I'd love watching them grow! :) Good luck with them!

looks like some of my more adventurous little guys are beginning to try swimming. Time to start the hatchery me thinks

Back
Top Bottom