Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angel fish in my area range from $3.50 (sale price) - $22.00, average price for a quarter size body is about $7.50, most any store has them here. I think they are the most beautiful fish and can see how Andy got into breeding. I'd love to give it a try but I can't, I don't have the means and or the set up for such a task. I'm glad he can do this and bring the supply back into his area. He will love what he's doing and cashing in at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So for those who followed some of my earlier posts, you might remember I said "I am more about function over form." The following pics show this. This design takes little time to assemble and can hold a lot of tanks. This is the breeder's rack. It is one of the most secure designs and built for weight. Due to some last minute redesign, it will only hold 13 pairs instead of 14 but with the new tanks coming later this week, I will have enough tanks to have more pairs, if necessary, on top of another rack.
Total assembly time was only 2 hours ( 1/2 the total time it took just to polyurethane the wood :facepalm:)

The second pic is to show that YES, I put styro under every tank. I don't care what kind of manufacturer precautions have been taken, I want the security of flexibility.

The last pic is with the tanks "on the ready". The missing tanks for the top row are currently holding fish so once these other tanks are filled and being filtered, I can move the fish, then move their tanks. (y)

Attachments

• Breeder rack.jpg
    Breeder rack.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 288
  • Styro on rack.jpg
    Styro on rack.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 293
  • Breeder rack with tanks.jpg
    Breeder rack with tanks.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 325
Nice blocks, totally function. I opted for 2x4 uprights in my room, space saver for squeezing 1k gallons into a 8'x16' room. If I had the room to stretch it out I'd be going with the blocks as well. Anyone seeing this should know that you can downsize it, and build one of the most cost effective & sturdy racks ever.

Wow that's amazing. I would love to walk through there and see it. I would be able to watch for hours. Idk how you have time for anything other than your angels.

Wow that's amazing. I would love to walk through there and see it. I would be able to watch for hours. Idk how you have time for anything other than your angels.

You are more than welcome to when it's done ;) I'm a long way from there tho. 180(?) tanks coming on Wed. Who knows how many I'll get into the building. lol
Tank efficiency is the key for having time. My other biz, it's also in this building so I have to be able to do more than just the fish. Then again, I used to do 100 pairs by myself so 13 should be a cake walk for me now ;) (y)

What is your reasoning for having the top row of cinder blocks sideways?

Sent via Messenger of Gondor
Are you sitting down for this? :lol: It's really a structural marvel:D You ready????...... I am notorious for dropping things down the holes in the bricks so by turning the top one, I can't do that anymore. It's just that simple. :ROFLMAO: After that, there are some supplemental pluses I learned accidentally: I can run a PVC line through the holes for air or water or I can run some lumber through them to attach some extra lighting for the lower tanks or to use as a small shelf. I've used the shelf idea before just for nets so one net was used only for that one section. This way, if a tank got infectious with something, the worst it could get to is 4 tanks. (That methodology went out the window tho when I got the Angelfish aids in the 80s. :( ) So for now, it's just drop stoppage. :D (y)

180 tanks!?!?!?! Where are they coming from? The manufacturer?

Fishobsessed7

180 tanks!?!?!?! Where are they coming from? The manufacturer?

Fishobsessed7

I bought out a breeder's building. Unfortunately, he died and the house was then sold. The new owners need the building for other purposes. Once I have placed all the tanks I can use, I will be running a sale. Used tanks anyone?? CHEAP!!!! :brows: (y)

Next phase, The grow out tanks.......
NOW, I think I am ready to start breeding fish properly ;)

Attachments

• Tanks.jpg
    Tanks.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Tanks 3.jpg
    Tanks 3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Tanks 4.jpg
    Tanks 4.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Tubs & Pipes.jpg
    Tubs & Pipes.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 224
Those 20 and 30 breeders?! I'll take a few!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And it looks like I got these tanks just in time. While i was out hauling tanks, look what the blushers were doing. :brows: You think they knew what I was up to? :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Blushing Spawn.jpg
    Blushing Spawn.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 230
Looking good, seems the fish are ready to get started. :popcorn: How many pairs do you have at the moment?

4 mated pairs with 2 females from previous pairs and my male Silver veil from a pair so I have the ability to have 6 pairs immediately. My only question now is who am I going to mix with whom? :blink: :facepalm: My buddy has some some more fish for me but wants a few spawns before he'll let me have them. There are pearlscale Gold marbles and dark Marbles, regular gold marble veils and some Marbles. Too many fish, so many choices :facepalm: :lol:

Andy I am so happy for you and that you have gotten the opportunity to further pursue your dream. It sounds like your businesses will both run better and be more efficient with all the work you've put into it. As for how you managed to get so many tanks and the size you need that's fantastic, again I'm sure these folks are happy to know that you will have the same kind of passion as their lost family member ( making it easier to let something go as it still lives on) ya I'm sappy. Please continue to keep us up to date.

Back
Top Bottom