Will angel fish fry survive on there own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keone23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now there just wigglers on my amazon sword but in a day or two they'll be free swimming. I'm thinking of trimming the leaf there on and placing them and the leaf in my little 4 by 6 hang on side nursery. Will they be okay by them selves? Is this enough room? (There's about 100 of them) do there parents need to be able to get to them? Besides the breeding pair I have 3 other angels in this tank (75gal) that I don't want eating the fry. What to do, what to do...

I've read they need to stay with the parents for a week or 2 because they feed off the parents.

I've read they need to stay with the parents for a week or 2 because they feed off the parents.

Thank you! I had read that they leave the parents with them for 2 weeks but didn't know why, I guess that means ill need to get a nursery tank and put the entire family in there for 2 weeks and then take the parents out.

the fry should be in at least a 10 gallon tank . make sure you fill it with water that they were laid in and hatched in. temp should be 80. and use a fine sponge filter. do daily 25% water changes. feed them baby brine shrimp either frozen or hatch them your self. mine do fine on frozen. i feed small amounts 3 times a day and clean out left overs at the end of the day.. i pull all the eggs out and hatch them my selfs so the answer is no they do not have to be with the parents. The sooner you get them out of there the better chance of them not getting eaten. i have 6 breeding pairs and about 300 fry and about 50 to 75 quater to 50 cent size . if i can be of further help please pm me

Here's the nursery, got the parents in there for now because I want them to move the fry off of the Amazon leaf I cut and put them onto the glass or another surface. Once they move them or the fry start free swimming I will put mom and pop back in there original tank, thanks again for all the help.

image-3389154170.jpg

Took the Parents out of the nursery tank today a couple of the fry are starting to swim! just a little... Cleaned out the waste and did a 25% water change. sucked up a few of the fry on accident with my baster but was able to squirt them right back into the bunch and they attached right away. looks like i still have about 120 fry so my odds of a good survival rate look great! how long till there color and shape start to show?

oh it will be a few weeks unless u have a big magnifying glass to look at them lol

oh it will be a few weeks unless u have a big magnifying glass to look at them lol

+1( lol as well)

Angels start to sprout their dorsal and anal fins at about 21- 30 days. You might see some color by then but their full color won't be known for a while. In the beginning, they are just orange from eating baby brine shrimp. Your tank should look like it's filled with swimming orange balls. lol

+1( lol as well)

Angels start to sprout their dorsal and anal fins at about 21- 30 days. You might see some color by then but their full color won't be known for a while. In the beginning, they are just orange from eating baby brine shrimp. Your tank should look like it's filled with swimming orange balls. lol

the fry should be in at least a 10 gallon tank . make sure you fill it with water that they were laid in and hatched in. temp should be 80. and use a fine sponge filter. do daily 25% water changes. feed them baby brine shrimp either frozen or hatch them your self. mine do fine on frozen. i feed small amounts 3 times a day and clean out left overs at the end of the day.. i pull all the eggs out and hatch them my selfs so the answer is no they do not have to be with the parents. The sooner you get them out of there the better chance of them not getting eaten. i have 6 breeding pairs and about 300 fry and about 50 to 75 quater to 50 cent size . if i can be of further help please pm me

I feel as though i too can raise health angel fry now after reading your reply.. Very nice! Very informative!

Haven't posted in a while, it's hard to watch these little guys die. We're down to about 12 fry. I believe it's due to the frozen baby brine shrimp i bought. After noticing for 2 days very little change in there size when eating, I purchased "first bites" and started feeding that and noticed an immediate change, rounder bellies and a stronger interest but I think it was a little to late as most fry were weak from not eating. I think the frozen bbs must have been a bad batch, harvested to late and their for too big. Having followed all the great advice it stinks to have still lost so many due to something I couldn't have foreseen. I'm still cheering for the last dozen and will post pics soon.

Haven't posted in a while, it's hard to watch these little guys die. We're down to about 12 fry. I believe it's due to the frozen baby brine shrimp i bought. After noticing for 2 days very little change in there size when eating, I purchased "first bites" and started feeding that and noticed an immediate change, rounder bellies and a stronger interest but I think it was a little to late as most fry were weak from not eating. I think the frozen bbs must have been a bad batch, harvested to late and their for too big. Having followed all the great advice it stinks to have still lost so many due to something I couldn't have foreseen. I'm still cheering for the last dozen and will post pics soon.

It's my understanding that some of the newer strains of Angels are having smaller fry than usual. ALSO, and I don't know if this applies to your fish but, younger fish tend to produce smaller fry as well. That's why I try not to let any fish less than 1 years old breed. The bigger the fish, the bigger the egg, the bigger the fry. ;)
For the next spawn, you may want to try having an infusoria culture or microworm culture going to feed them first or hatch out your own brine shrimp so you can control, to a degree, the size of the shrimp you feed.

Hope this helps (y)

Just a suggestion and perhaps you were doing this but the frozen baby brine shrimp would need to be thawed out in some of the tank water first before feeding to the fry. I've used Hikari First Bites on platy fry and they loved it. My current fry do seem to love decapsulated brine shrimp eggs as well. Hope things work out for you!

Your right, I had been melting the cubes in a bit of tank water and when that didn't work I used "first bites" and they seemed to like that! I have since started feeding the remaining 10 fry some live baby brine shrimp that I've hatched myself and that seems to have made all the difference. They are growing rapidly

image-4106138775.jpg

Hatching BBS is easy and the fish love it.

Your right, I had been melting the cubes in a bit of tank water and when that didn't work I used "first bites" and they seemed to like that! I have since started feeding the remaining 10 fry some live baby brine shrimp that I've hatched myself and that seems to have made all the difference. They are growing rapidly

View attachment 152143

Hatching BBS is easy and the fish love it.

Continuing from my last post.... If your fry are big enough to take newly hatched brine shrimp the day they become free swimming, you will find that they will grow very quickly as these are a very nutritous meal for them. I'v e never needed to use anything other than BBS but then again, I didn't have some of the newer strains of fish to deal with ;) My guess would be, if they can't handle the BBS at first, I'd make a microworm culture for a first food. I doubt that you would need to feed that more than a few days to get them to size to feed on BBS. These would be a higher protein food source than the infusoria which will get them growing quicker.

At least you still have some fry to deal with. (y) Use them as a learning spawn so you will know what to do for the next spawn.

Keep us posted (y)

Thank you, your advice was not only very helpful but also alleviated some of my feelings of guilt. After buying a whole new hatchery tank setup, several weeks of 3 to 4 times feedings, daily water changes, careful water monitoring and pouring heart and soul in to these little guys survival it's nice to know that I didn't fail for lack of trying. I'm confident that these last few fry will do well and my next group will stand a much better chance.

Thank you, your advice was not only very helpful but also alleviated some of my feelings of guilt. After buying a whole new hatchery tank setup, several weeks of 3 to 4 times feedings, daily water changes, careful water monitoring and pouring heart and soul in to these little guys survival it's nice to know that I didn't fail for lack of trying. I'm confident that these last few fry will do well and my next group will stand a much better chance.

Just remember, it takes the fish a few tries to get spawning right so you shouldn't feel bad about not getting 100% from your first few batches of fry either. Each spawn is a learning opportunity. You'd be surprised how long it can take to "get it right" yourself. ;) But once you do... watch out. You will be in heaven with a whole bunch of Angels when you do. ;) :lol:

Now you just have to wait for the next opportunity (y)

Back
Top Bottom