will my molly ever deliver this fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
For crying out loud...it has been since at least late Feb since we noticed our little dalmation molly getting bigger, it's April now, still no fry. What is up? Any ideas or suggestions to get this show on the road? She looks like she is going to blow...at this point all readings on tank are WNL, we did have a fish die the end of March because of some intestinal parasite of some kind. We have an ADF and a clown pleco, all seem fine. I am waiting to get more fish until she has this fry so it doesn't spook her even more...someone mentioned mollies not being a "natural" breeder and might take 3-4 months to deliver...She eats fine and acts fine, but for crying out loud, I'm waiting like a father in the old days sitting in the waiting room, I can't smoke anymore cigars...waiting with my little fry seperater close at hand for our first batch of fry...the waiting is endless....AAAGGGGHHHH 8O :?

Are you absolutely positive she's pregnant? If yes, how do you know? Do you have a male present or is this something extra from purchasing the molly? Did you witness them copulate? Is there the typical gray spot toward the anal fin indicating pregnancy?

Only reason why I'm asking is because you lost a fish to intestinal parasites. Intestinal parasite can cause a bloating of the belly. So can constipation. Is she pooping and what color is that poop?

I don't mean to deal a low blow here. Just sorting through the facts. I do hope you are that positive she's pregnant, but if not, these other things should be taken into consideration.

I don't know any molly that would take 3-4 months to deliver, unless the first batch was eaten before anyone noticed, or for some reason the first batch didn't take and she aborted them. Mollies can store sperm from one breeding for a few months and multiple batches of fry.

she has gotten bigger in time, she is pooping what looks like her normal poop. I did witness some serious copulation, we did have a male but took him out a while ago due to the fact they said mollies could have about 60 fish. she has a dark spot next to her anal fin, but has for some time...I dont' know what to think....I'm baffled.

OK...good. So there is a very good chance she is pregnant. Time and patience. Make sure water quality remains stable and for heaven's sake...stop watching!!...LOL. It's like waiting for water to boil if you watch it all the time...LOL. Just kidding :)

well, I will just keep waiting and wishing this will be over soon...maybe someday I will make a post regarding our first fry...someday :D

Attachments

• fishiefunwithboys_022_150.jpg
    fishiefunwithboys_022_150.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 25
  • fishiefunwithboys_016_782.jpg
    fishiefunwithboys_016_782.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 25
  • fishiefunwithboys_040_243.jpg
    fishiefunwithboys_040_243.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom