Will pristella tetras breed only with other pristella tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually they stick to same species HOWEVER, with so many fish that are now sub species or variations of same species ( I.E. Berry Tetras are from Black Skirt Tetras which were turned into White Tetras before becoming Berries) that it is possible that they look like they are interbreeding when in fact they are breeding with just a variation of their original type.
Hope this isn't too confusing ;)

I have painted tetra. I go one before I was aware of the cruel process to get them that color. What's the original painted tetra?

And can I stock my tank more. I have 6 pristella tetras and a painted tetra. Do you recommend adding more pristilla tetras to increase chance of breeding?

I have painted tetra. I go one before I was aware of the cruel process to get them that color. What's the original painted tetra?

And can I stock my tank more. I have 6 pristella tetras and a painted tetra. Do you recommend adding more pristilla tetras to increase chance of breeding?

They are painting too many fish these days so I'd need to see a pic of the fish to even hazard a guess as to it's origin.
As for breeding, it only takes 2 fish... a male and a female. It's a better process to breed them intentionally if you want to raise the fry which means a separate tank to do this. Otherwise, it really won't matter how many you have in the tank. The eggs will most likely be eaten by either the other fish in the tank or the parents themselves.

Hope this helps (y)

They are painting too many fish these days so I'd need to see a pic of the fish to even hazard a guess as to it's origin.
As for breeding, it only takes 2 fish... a male and a female. It's a better process to breed them intentionally if you want to raise the fry which means a separate tank to do this. Otherwise, it really won't matter how many you have in the tank. The eggs will most likely be eaten by either the other fish in the tank or the parents themselves.

Hope this helps (y)

A 5 gallon good for 2 small fish? If I order the, online can I get a garranteed male and female?

A 5 gallon good for 2 small fish? If I order the, online can I get a garranteed male and female?

There is never really a garrantee, sometimes you do get a moron as a breeder... learned from past experieces... but generaly someone will know their fish if their going to sell it. thats probably your best chance honestly. Whom whould you be ordering from?

Yes, a 5 gal would be a good breeding tank. You won;t be keeping the pair in there for more than a few days so be prepared with other tanks for holding the fish.
If you want guarantees, you need to buy from a LFS and see the fish before you buy them. You'll need to get older, larger fish as well if you want guaranteed sexes

Back
Top Bottom