Will slate affect my water? Please help quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have purchased slate with no sealant, or chemicals of any kind (says the lowes worker). It's slate straight from the factory, untreated. Questions:
1. I was told the different colors (red, yellow, etc) are mineral deposits in the clay. What do I do to ensure these don't affect my water?
2. Will said minerals in the slate affect my ph? My gh/kh? How can I make sure it doesn't?
3. Do I need to do anything besides scrub the slate before putting it in aquarium?
Thanks for any info. I would be so upset if my trying to provide a place for my angels to lay eggs, ended up hurting them!

Have purchased slate with no sealant, or chemicals of any kind (says the lowes worker). It's slate straight from the factory, untreated. Questions:
1. I was told the different colors (red, yellow, etc) are mineral deposits in the clay. What do I do to ensure these don't affect my water?
2. Will said minerals in the slate affect my ph? My gh/kh? How can I make sure it doesn't?
3. Do I need to do anything besides scrub the slate before putting it in aquarium?
Thanks for any info. I would be so upset if my trying to provide a place for my angels to lay eggs, ended up hurting them!

No worries, I used the same kind for my planted tank. No ill effects.

So....the red and yellow throughout the grey (that the sales guy said were minerals....which I've worked so hard to get rid of by mixing RO water to lower my gh) will NOT raise my gh, or leech metals, minerals or anything else into the tank? I bought 2 pieces....one is prettier (more red and colors), but I care way more about the fish than the decorations. Would red slate have more minerals? I trust what you're saying.... Just want to be sure you understand what I have here! Thanks so much!

So....the red and yellow throughout the grey (that the sales guy said were minerals....which I've worked so hard to get rid of by mixing RO water to lower my gh) will NOT raise my gh, or leech metals, minerals or anything else into the tank? I bought 2 pieces....one is prettier (more red and colors), but I care way more about the fish than the decorations. Would red slate have more minerals? I trust what you're saying.... Just want to be sure you understand what I have here! Thanks so much!

Now that I can't promise. I could see the slate leeching some minerals. How much, can't say. Maybe explain your goals? I know you were trying to breed rams not too long ago? If your looking to provide cover, get yourself some exotic driftwood pieces and fake plants. South American fish are not used to rocky bottoms as much as they are rotting foliage (branches, leaves).

I know TCC uses RO and has slate in his tanks. See if his have the mineral discoloration as well. He has had plenty of success with his tanks.

The rams keep eating their eggs :(. So, I'm trying with the angelfish! That's the goal of the slate. I have beauties pairing off, looking around, etc. was told to put slate in, as the angels will also eat the eggs, so I will have to hatch them myself. I have a tank, methylene blue, air bubbles, and slate....ready to go! But, it would SUCK if I added the wrong slate, messed up the water, and lost the opportunity to breed....and all my beauties!

The rams keep eating their eggs :(. So, I'm trying with the angelfish! That's the goal of the slate. I have beauties pairing off, looking around, etc. was told to put slate in, as the angels will also eat the eggs, so I will have to hatch them myself. I have a tank, methylene blue, air bubbles, and slate....ready to go! But, it would SUCK if I added the wrong slate, messed up the water, and lost the opportunity to breed....and all my beauties!

That will change, give it time. They will eventually realize they need to parent instead of feast lol

I hope! ?. Either way, I put the grey slate on the other side (opposite the rams love castle...that the angels were cleaning). I'll report how it goes.

it will be fine iuse the same slate. your prime declor will take care of anything thats in the slate

Okay....so, I came home tonight and my rams were pale and lethargic. Immediately pulled out my test kit. Ammonia, nitrites-0. Nitrates-5. Gh-6. Kh-4. Ph: 8????? These are based on the liquid api test kit. My live ammonia/ph reader in the tank has a color that doesn't match any of the options. Ph reads either 7, or 7.8. My questions:
1. Could the slate affect my ph? (I soaked in prime water for an hour before putting in tank).
2. If so, wouldn't it affect the gh/kh also?
3. If it's not the slate, how is low gh/kh possible if the ph is high?
I don't use buffers. I mix 1/4 tap with 3/4 RO water. Prime or novaqua plus....and THATS IT! I am no scientist, but I've researched ph for months, as my water is hard and I want to breed soft-water fish. I wish someone could clearly explain how this works. Even if I'm a fool for mixing in RO water to begin with, I can't very well change my system now (straight tap water changes would really mess it up). So, how do I proceed? My ph has read 7.2 for months. I did do a water change yesterday, but didn't do anything different. Thanks for any feedback!

i personaly have never herd of slate changing anything. i know a few pros that i will call and see what they say

I've used slate in NJ where the water was very soft and acidic and in FL where the water was hard as nails and highly alkaline. The water in FL didn't change from using the slate and neither did the NJ water. If the rock has altered your water, it is not what it was sold to you as (IMO)
The only rock I have known to change water's chemistry is any calcium based rock which will raise the PH of water. I still say: "When in doubt, go with inert" Use plastic/PVC. That changes nothing. The fish won't care.

Can you post a picture of this slate. I too am suspecting it's not slate. Did you run a vinegar test on it before you put it in?

I have feeling that she has what I bought. It comes in a pack at lowes in the tile isle. I bought it cuz at the time their wasn't any outdoor slate in stock in their gardening section. I don't think it's pure slate cuz you can see the colored impurities but I never had an issue with it.

I think you're all right. I did buy from an aisle at lowes. When I broke the "slate" to make it the size I wanted, it broke easily, and looked red on the inside. It may not be what affected my water, but i switched to plexi-glass anyways. Thanks for all your help! I can't post pics (says I'm over the limit). I've deleted an entire album, but evidently, I still am too picture happy. Go figure! I did a water change after removing the slate, and ph has remained 7.2 since. I DID also use a new "RO" water that you actually refill the jugs from a machine at Walmart in the water change before the weird readings, so maybe the slate was never to blame. But I like the "when in doubt, go plastic"....so....I'll report any new issues (or hopefully baby pics) soon! Thx again!

Can you post a picture of this slate. I too am suspecting it's not slate. Did you run a vinegar test on it before you put it in?

I believe the diff between slate and shale is the limestone content. Which will effect your ph and is detectable using the vinegar. I also believe you may not have slate. Shale is also softer and easier to scratch with a fingernail.

Is the vineager test putting it on the material, and seeing if it bubbles? I did that to a piece I wasn't using. Nothing. I tried white vineager and red, just to be sure I was doing it right. I switched to plexi-glass, but lefts a piece in a smaller tank to see what would happen. Fish became more lethargic, and stopped eating. May not have been slate related, but I took it out, and all is well. I am now dealing with ph concerns. I just can't grasp the whole kh/gh/ph thing. I'm afraid of buffers, so I just mixed 1/4 tap with 3/4 RO. Everything has worked for months (except the 1 day slate scare). Always, my parameters are ammonia, nitrites:0. Ph : really, I don't know. It always seems lighter than high-range lightest (7.4) color, but bluer than the highest (7.6) regular ph test. Is there some calculation, if you know your kh and gh, to find out exact ph? I know stable is best and fish will adapt. But, I showed .25 ammonia for the first time in EVER, and when I tested....my kh was 2. I use the chemical api master test kit. I know under 3 is dangerous for crashes....but my gh was still 6-7. I paced the floors, but did nothing. Later, I retested. Kh was all that changed....to 4. Why does it fluctuate? I have every buffer on the market, I'm just too afraid to use them. And the one time I said "forget it" and started doing water changes with just tap water, my ph shot from 7.2 to 8.2 in an hour, killed a bunch of fish, etc. this was a different tank, thank god, but I can't just "forget trying to change ph". I am where I am, and need help fixing it. If anyone knows of a chart, or can help, please do. Message or post. Thx. My current kh fluctuates from 2-4. My gh has gone from 8-6 over about a week, because of driftwood. I did a water change yesterday for the ammonia, and upped the tap water in my mix ratio..,hoping to up the kh. It seems lowest at night, but I had no plants to be making that happen. Today, I test .25 ammonia, and the nitrite test wasn't to the .25 color, but it wasn't the light blue it always is. Sounds like a mini-cycle to me! I use purigen and nitra-zorb. No carbon. I now have a blue ram flicking and pale. I'm really frustrated! I have 2 egg-filled female angels in this tank, which will devestate me to lose.

Back
Top Bottom