wont stop breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver moggridge

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, my swordtails wont stop breeding and my tank is becoming overcome with baby swordtails! i dont know what to do!

Attachments

• DSCF1265.jpg
    DSCF1265.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 85
What other type of fish do you have in the tank? It is about a 30 gallon tank so a larger fish for population control would work. Think of it as nutritional supplements for your other fish. I have an angelfish that does very well keeping up with the swords.

Take the babies, and drop them intot he tank( the fish will see them plop in, and they will eat them). If not, get rid of the female.

a peacock eel also will get rid of the fry fairly quickly,
donation to the local fish store or giving them away to a friends tank is another good idea

:bulb:
Walmart is now carrying tiny little condoms in their pet dept. Best bet is to teach an aquatic frog to put them on the fish.

Kent in SD

I recently found out that a large koi angelfish does wonders on guppy fry. He has eaten 20+ fry and 2 adult female guppies. The adults were not intentional, I went away for a weekend and he got hungry. :)

kribensis12 is right about dropping them in the tank. If I net some fry from my 10g and throw them into my 30g it turns into a feeding frenzy. Diamond tetras also gobble up fry quickly.

bumble bee goby are another great fry eaters,
i had one of each the bumble goby and the peacock eel in my platty/sword/guppy tank to control fry they did an awesome job

bettas will demolish fry in a hurry as well. I once watched a betta eat an entire guppy litter of about 10 babies in less than 30 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom