Wooooop Guppies finaly gave birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got about 30 so far with 10 casualties. WHat I wanna know is when will I know she has no more left?

Congrats! Depending on the guppy, one birth can lead to 25-100+ fry. Typically a young guppy with her first birth may only have 20-30 fry whereas an older mother will have ~100 each time. I have kept guppies for years, and have seen experienced mothers have 100+ all within a couple hours (~3-6hrs). For new mothers, if the birthing is particularly difficult, they sometimes complete the birthing 24-48 hours after the first fry appear. It is also common for there to be some deformations and casualties unfortunately. This can be due to a number of circumstances, and to be expect with such large numbers of births.

It can be stressful, but better for the mother to put her in a breeding cage when she is showing signs of being ready to give birth. This way she is not constantly pestered by the males. Some signs are hanging out my the heater, or generally a quiet corner away from the action. In my experience, many guppies ready to give birth do not eat much in the days before. They bite at food but mostly spit it back out. They also tend to swim up and down vertically in a corner or along the wall of the tank.
When you see these signs and a very mature gravid spot, the black area below the gold ring of the belly become black and the base of the belly more squared off, it is time to move the mother into the breeder. If she seems stressed by this move, turn the lights out in the tank and perhaps add a spring of a plant and leave her be. If the mother does not give birth within 48 hours, I release her until she seems ready again as keeping her in the breeder isn't the best thing to do. When she shows signs again repeat the process.

This may not be an absolute, but you might find it interesting that almost every guppy I have ever owned gave birth between the very weee hours of the morning and daybreak. It may take into the morning to completely finish. Be sure to feed the mother after she has given birth, as she is sure to be very hungry given the labor. I typically leave the mother i the breeder for a couple hours to give her a break from being pestered by the male and regain her strength. It is also easier to feed the new mother in the breeder. After a recovery period of 4 hours or so I release the mother and remove the fry to a tank safer for them to grow up, if you plan to raise them and watch their development.

If you do not plan to breed the guppies and raise the fry, one could always let nature play its role and see who survives. Guppies can certainly outbirth your aquatic resources very quickly if you have a couple females. Once mature, you could be dealing with tons and tons of guppies :). be prepared.

Make sure to write down the date today for the fry birthdate, the mother will likely be giving birth again in another 30 days or so depending on the temperature of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom