Zebra danio fry development

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandrago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!
I have nearly 2 week old fry. All 6 are doing well. I need to know how old they should be before i add them to the parent tank. I have 3 electric green tetra and 3 glofish( zebra danio). I know they need to be larger than the largest fishes mouth but im still worried about their well being. Thanks

Hello All!
I have nearly 2 week old fry. All 6 are doing well. I need to know how old they should be before i add them to the parent tank. I have 3 electric green tetra and 3 glofish( zebra danio). I know they need to be larger than the largest fishes mouth but im still worried about their well being. Thanks

You kinda answered your own question :D. It's not about age, it's about size. When they are bigger than the largest mouth and faster than the fastest swimmer then they are safe to put into the main tank. (FYI: Tetras are fast swimmers ;))

(y)

Another question then is when i release them and they mature then will inbreeding be an issue? Im not trying to breed these fish. Just happened. Anything i can do to stop the fish from breeding? I dont know anyone to give these fish to. Dont want to have 100 fish before the year is out. Breaks my heart to just let them get eaten.

Another question then is when i release them and they mature then will inbreeding be an issue? Im not trying to breed these fish. Just happened. Anything i can do to stop the fish from breeding? I dont know anyone to give these fish to. Dont want to have 100 fish before the year is out. Breaks my heart to just let them get eaten.

Genetic faults created by constant inbreeding don't usually happen until past the 5th or 6th generations of inbred fish. That means that a son and daughter from your original pair bred together and their son and daughter bred together and thier son and daughter bred and so on. You shouldn't need to worry about this at this point. As for how to stop the fish from breeding, keep only one sex in the tank. That's the only proven way, besides sterilization, to prevent offspring. ;) I'm pretty sure they don't make fish condoms yet :lol:

Hope this relieved some of the pressure (y)

Back
Top Bottom