Zebra Danio's eggs...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
8O My zebra danio laid her eggs last night she was very thin this morning. The daddy is my 1 pearl male?didn't realize that cross could be.. :oops:
I don't know what the eggs will look like..I don't seem to see them anywhere. She is hanging around one corner..but I see nothing..
does anyone know about an article related to this.. :?:

Heya dogartist.

Often the eggs are eaten in community tanks; either the other fish chow on them, or the parents eat them (better to get the energy expended back then to let some other fish get it). Danios are especially known for eating the eggs right after laying; its recommended to remove the parents right after laying. Theres some nice info about it here: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/danio.htm#bred

in my tank i have large pebbles as a substrate and when they laid the eggs they fell through so the parents could not eat them... you can BARELY see them even after they hatch--thats when they cling to things... you'll see them jet to something else and cling to that...

i got mine out by siphoning the water out and putting it in a pre-existing 5 gal tank.. and then i turned on the light and viola babies were sticking to the glass and everywhere else.. you can barely see them without the light... now they are about 2 months old.. some are bigger than others (im assuming they were actually born at differnt times... anyway.. thats my story!!

good luck with yours!! and yes the parents WILL eat the babies..

Back
Top Bottom