Ammonia problem?? Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoolsGold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 20 gallon that’s currently having a huge ammonia problem, the levels are off the charts (I’m using API Ammo Lock to the ty and keep my fish from dying) and I need to move some fish out. The ammonia levels are measuring at 4ppm. I’m using the API Freshwater master test kit. I did a 50% water change last night and right after and this morning the ammonia was measuring the same as before the change. I’m going to be doing 20-25% water changes every day for the next week.

Another thing is that I changed the substrate of the tank last week, from gravel to to sand. It wasn’t live sand, but it seemed to be fine and I added API quick start to replace the lost bacteria.

The fish inside are 4 Dalmatian Mollies, 6 Kuhli Loaches, and 3 neon tetras. There’s no live plants. There was a snail in there too, but last night they died.

I have a small 5 gallon that has never had any fish and has been cycling for at least 2 weeks now, but when I went to test the water to see if I could move the tetras into it to relieve some stress from the 20 gallon the water measured at 1-2ppm of ammonia!? There’s no reason for there to be ammonia in that tank that I can think of. I don’t know what to do to fix this. None of the factors that could be affecting the 20 gallon should be affecting the 5 gallon.

I tested the tap water from the sink I use to for aquarium water and it didn’t have any ammonia in it, so I’m not sure where it’s coming from.

Please give any advice you can

I am unfamiliar with your issue, this forum is pretty dead, I would recommend joining fishlor. You will get help with in a couple minutes of posting :)

Hi,

I have a 20 gallon that’s currently having a huge ammonia problem, the levels are off the charts (I’m using API Ammo Lock to the ty and keep my fish from dying) and I need to move some fish out. The ammonia levels are measuring at 4ppm. I’m using the API Freshwater master test kit. I did a 50% water change last night and right after and this morning the ammonia was measuring the same as before the change. I’m going to be doing 20-25% water changes every day for the next week.

Another thing is that I changed the substrate of the tank last week, from gravel to to sand. It wasn’t live sand, but it seemed to be fine and I added API quick start to replace the lost bacteria.

The fish inside are 4 Dalmatian Mollies, 6 Kuhli Loaches, and 3 neon tetras. There’s no live plants. There was a snail in there too, but last night they died.

I have a small 5 gallon that has never had any fish and has been cycling for at least 2 weeks now, but when I went to test the water to see if I could move the tetras into it to relieve some stress from the 20 gallon the water measured at 1-2ppm of ammonia!? There’s no reason for there to be ammonia in that tank that I can think of. I don’t know what to do to fix this. None of the factors that could be affecting the 20 gallon should be affecting the 5 gallon.

I tested the tap water from the sink I use to for aquarium water and it didn’t have any ammonia in it, so I’m not sure where it’s coming from.

Please give any advice you can
I would do 40% changes daily and keep adding quick start. Keep me updated. :)

I suspect that switching the substrate released the ammonia - sand can get really dirty. I would do a 50% water change and see if that cuts the ammonia down.

Back
Top Bottom