Control-click issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weldon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I am browsing forums with Firefox, I like to control-click on interesting threads to open them in a new tab while I continue to scroll down the list of topics in the forum. Then I go through and read all the threads that I opened in their own tab.

When I try and do this on Aquarium Advice, Firefox will open a new tab but also change the current tab to that thread at the same time. If I right-click on the link and select "open in new tab" everything works as normal. Control-click just doesn't work like it should because the current window goes to the link. This behavior doesn't seem to happen on other sites, but the ones I am on frequently are based on vBulletin.

Any idea why this happens? Is it by design? or is there some funky javascript that is forcing the current tab to update?

I dont use CTRL+Click to do what you describe but I click the center scroll wheel to open in new tab. When I do this I have no problem with the current tab changing.

I just tested CTRL+Click and the primary window does not change. It only opens a new tab.

Thanks for checking. I tried the wheel click and this works normally. Control-click still changes the current tab (there's a one or two second delay after the other tab opens). I've tried this on three different machines now, including an Apple Powerbook with the Safari web browser (command-click on the Mac). Since this is happening on multiple machines and with different browsers, could it be a user option in the board settings that I missed?

There are no user options to govern how clicking on a topic works. A note. If you click on the new topic icon (orange icon) it should open in the same window. If you click on the link it should open in a new window. This is the action if you use IE. Not sure if instead of a new window you get a new tab in FF as I only wheel click. I am using FF Version 1.5

That's what the problem is...

It only happens on the links to forum threads. I'm in the habit of using the text link and there is a funky javascript behavior when you control-click on these links. It will open the new tab and also change the current tab. When I control-click on the icon on the left, this doesn't happen (mine is blue rather than orange - different skin I guess). This funky behavior happens with the links to "view newest post" and the page number links as well.

OK, problem solved. I'll just click on the "button" on the left or use wheel-click.

Incidentally, clicking on the text link to a thread in IE doesn't open a new window. If it doesn't accomplish what it was meant to do, maybe you should just remove that "feature" so it doesn't mess up other browsers.

Also, the funky behaviour stops when I turn off javascript in Firefox. Which is why I blamed javascript above. I just wanted to be clear.

ncidentally, clicking on the text link to a thread in IE doesn't open a new window.

Does for me. Also works in Opera, as it was intended and it works perfectly fine on my copy of firefox as well. The search page does not change to the clicked page, either using ctrl + left click or simly left clicking. What style are you using, perhaps it is an issue with a certain style.

I've been using the fisubice style, but I tried a few different styles and got the same behavior in each one. Some styles don't seem to have a clickable icon to the left of the thread title so I couldn't check that part of it, but the text links all work the same way.

When I'm looking at the list of subscribed topics, clicking on those text links to the thread WILL open a new browser window. Control-clicking from that page will NOT change the current tab. However, as soon as I go to a forum index, I see the same issue where, when clicking on the text link (which is the thread topic title) with wheel-click or right-click to select "open in a new tab" work fine, but control-click will open a new tab and change the current tab.

Again, this is only from the forum index page when I control-click on the text link (thread title)

Turning javascript off will fix the "strange" behavior. I'm only running two extensions: SessionSaver (which is great, BTW) and DOM Inspector. Both are the latest versions.

I can't figure out what could be different about my system, but I can confirm that this is a problem on Firefox 1.5 on WinXP and Safari 2.03 on Mac OS X v10.4.4. It's not just that one computer. I tried logging out and removing all my cookies for aquariumadvice.com and I still see the same behavior.

At this point, I'm just curious as to why I see it you don't.

reefrunner69 said:
The search page does not change to the clicked page, either using ctrl + left click or simly left clicking.
Not sure what you meant, but just to be clear, I only see this behavior when I'm looking at the forum page with the list of current threads. This does NOT happen when I look at search results, the list of posts I'm watching, etc.

Oh ok. This is on the forum index not the topic index of a forum.

I was describing the behavor when I open a new topic from the topic listings. This will most likly be corrected when we launch the new version of the site that is going to happen very soon. Basicly we are just tweaking the grammer files.

I can reproduce the behavor from the forum index. The reason I never noticed this is because I never open new forum listings in new tabs. I basicly always search for new posts since last visit and open new topics from that search result into a new tab.

OK, I thought we were talking about the "view new posts since last visit" or similar predefined searches. At any rate when I ctrl+click on the forum page it works as it's supposed to as well.

I have java and javascript enabled in my options for firefox.

So are we talking about opening new forums from the list of forums, or are we talking about opening threads from the specific forum? I hadn't tried opening the forums from the list of forums.

Opening new forums from the forums list as best I can tell.

Verified what was reported does not occur on fisubice on the test site so this will be corrected when we launch the new version of AA.

Thanks for following up and verifying that it's not just me. I appreciate the attention given to a minor issue for a new member.

I'll work around it until the new version of the board is up.

Back
Top Bottom