FX4 vs Sun Sun HW-704b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidwolf

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently running the Sun Sun HW 704b canister filter on my 115-gallon tank. I was thinking about buying an additional filter to add with the Sun Sun but My wife bought me a gift FX4 canister that does 250 gallons.

Do you think the fx4 is an upgrade?

If so what's the best way to switch filters Without shocking my tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, fx4 is about 700gph, the 704b is 525gph. The fx can handle 150gal comfortably. The sunsun can a 100gal. This is going by the standard of a canister filter handling 4-5x water volume of tank an hr.
So if wanting to run the fx on tank I would move all media including sponges & floss from sunsun to fx & run this way for a while. Once tank is reestablished then slowly replace to media of choice.
You may lose some bacteria during this process so I also suggest you test for ammonia & nitrite during the next few weeks just to be safe. Hopefully this helps!!!!!
I'm currently running the Sun Sun HW 704b canister filter on my 115-gallon tank. I was thinking about buying an additional filter to add with the Sun Sun but My wife bought me a gift FX4 canister that dose 250 gallons.

Do you think the fx4 is an upgrade?

If so what's the best way to switch filters Without shocking my tank.

Back
Top Bottom