Is "+1" allowed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Prey I posted this in the wrong section hopefully this is the right one. I just want to know why some people say its annoying

No, it's not allowed:

Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts or to keep a thread active. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or other 'content-free' posts to deliberately keep a thread hot.

Oh, and just for the record...

Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum.

+1 is not useless nor is it unnecessary bumping. It gives the op the peace of mind that there is more than one person that agrees with the advice.

I personally like it when someone says +1 to one of my posts, it makes me feel like others approve of my advice. It is against the rules though as rookie says.

Rookie, is it OK to say +1 but then add to that and explain why you agree? I feel like if you just posted +1 thats bad, but if you add to it its not so bad....

mfdrookie516 said:
No, it's not allowed:

Oh, and just for the record...

Bob, Joe, Fred
If you will notice responses have to be a certain length and "+1" isn't long enough. Sometimes I will +1 somebody then explain the reason that I agree with them. But in general, I do it so that the op sees that the person has given reliable advice.

+1!

It's fine to say +1 and add why you agree... but it's not ok to simply put +1... not to mention +1 no longer meets the minimum character requirement to post.

mfdrookie516 said:
It's fine to say +1 and add why you agree... but it's not ok to simply put +1... not to mention +1 no longer meets the minimum character requirement to post.

That is silly, +1 means I agree, why I agree is because I agree.

jetajockey said:
It's okay to make a post with content. If your goal is to just +1 someone and not add to the conversation then utilize the "thanks" button instead.

Then you should change the name to aquarium conversation. This is an advice forum. If someone asks a question and they get an answer from someone that has not posted much, has posted questionable advice or is just unknown to the op. a + 1 from one or more other posters (that have nothing further to add to the advice) will allow the op to follow the advice with much more confidence. And doesn't require the other posters to continually parrot the advice already given.

reefrunner69 said:
Then you should change the name to aquarium conversation. This is an advice forum. If someone asks a question and they get an answer from someone that has not posted much, has posted questionable advice or is just unknown to the op. a + 1 from one or more other posters (that have nothing further to add to the advice) will allow the op to follow the advice with much more confidence. And doesn't require the other posters to continually parrot the advice already given.

Well someone said they like being quickly notified when the advice they gave was helpful or approved by the OP which I can't agree more on. I know we can't do nuthin about it just sayin

+1 with rookie (y)

Just saying +1 and nothing else is not contributing anything more. But, +1 and explaining why you agree both reinforces the advice to the OP, and also gives kudos to the person your +1 is referring to. Especially if a few people have posted advice and we forget to either quote from the advice your backing up.

So by all means ... Feel free to +1 and tell us why.

+1

Just kidding! Don't shoot me, guys!

jcolon is exactly right. Here, what would you prefer in this situation:

You are a complete newbie to goldfish and someone on the forum tells you the stocking rule for them (1 in a 20 gal, 1 more for every 10 gallons after) Would you rather:

have someone quote the person who stated the rule and say, "+1, goldfish are very waste-heavy and grow much larger than at the pet store. They need to be in larger tanks that what you would think."

or

have someone say"+1."

Obviously you would want the first option! This is after all aquariumADVICE and the first option gives much more advice and helps much more than a simple "+1."

This thread did bring out alot of discussion. The last couple posters are exactly right in that we want lots of content or info in our posts. Google uses alot of our threads that have lots of info in them. They dont use threads with lots of +1 in them because they are content free. That is why we stress here on posting quality posts here at AA. That is also why our site rules do not allow content free posts. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom