Marimo moss balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chemistryman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings

I'm thinking of adding these to my new 10 gallon aquarium once the 30 day fish-less nitrogen cycle is completed and before the introduction of a single male Betta. I'm curious to know the phosphate levels any members are seeing with the balls present. I know that plants consume phosphate. Is there such a thing as too high of a level? I would think that doing small, scheduled water changes would keep the phosphates manageable. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.:blink:

Hello,
Your post was lost in the admin and announcement forum, I hope you are doing well with your new Betta. The article link in my signature has good info for new fish keepers.

I have kept the moss balls in many tanks, but unfortunately haven't tested for Phosphates.

I've had many, many moss balls...
But never tested for phosphate...
All of my fish, snails & shrimp love them though!!
Between my 6 tanks, I have about 9 or 10.
Plus have one (my cat tore up when I had it "vacationing" in a small cold water jar) I took the pieces and glued them onto cholla wood and it is doing great!!!
Bright green and the shrimp especially love it!!
Good luck!! I love my moss balls.
Was my first aquatic "plant" lol. They're EASY! and seem to thrive in all of my tanks and even under different conditions!!
Hope you enjoy yours!! :)

Same here on the phosphates. I have a Betta in a 10g also, and a big moss ball has been part of the landscape from the beginning. The benefits: they suck up nitrates,provide some oxygen, help prevent excessive algae growth, are snail-proof and many residents (including shrimp) love them. They are very hardy.

When you do your weekly water changes scoop it out and gently squeeze out the water over a sink. It has absorbed some of what needs to be cleaned out and is now ready to absorb some more. When you submerge it back in the tank give it a couple of gentle squeezes so it absorbs water and sinks to the bottom.

Some Bettas like to roll them around with their noses for play. Others (like mine) ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom