Problem with posts since last visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillD

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the last little while, ( month or 2), when I come on, and click on the posts since last visit, which is how I normally view this site, I get a message saying "can't make another search so soon, try again later". This is on the first click, so when I do come back later, that list of posts is gone. This happens at home with XP, IE 6, and at work with Win 2000. I find it truly annoying, and it occurs about 1/3 of the time I log on, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row. It happened as I logged on for this session. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have it bookmarked to go directly to view posts since last visit? If so then the page could still be loading and if you click refresh then it's going to assume you already searched.

Personally I prefer to watch the forums I'm interested in which sends emails for new posts. I have a dedicated email just for that purpose.

We implemented this feature as a way of garding aganst DOS (Deinal of Service) attacks that some hackers use to take down websites. THis is done by flooding the site's search feature causing the database backend to backup causing the entire site to go down.

There is a short limit that is less than 1 minute. I suspect your visiting the site via some kind of link that might itself be doing a search and after your logging in and trying to view the posts since last visit your doing another search before the timelimit has elapsed.

Visit the site via the main url http://www.aquariumadvice.com then use the login box on the front page. Pick to auto login on next visit. Then bookmark the home page. When you visit the site click the posts since last reply to see the new topics. This works with no issue. I knoiw as this is how I am doing it.

Back
Top Bottom