Suggestion: FW nano tanks sub-forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here. I think it would be a good idea to have a nano tank sub-forum in Freshwater. I know there is a nano reef one for SW.... It could be for all nano tanks, like 10 gallons and under. Betta and shrimp tanks would also count. What do you guys think?

In my day....

I'm not sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here. I think it would be a good idea to have a nano tank sub-forum in Freshwater. I know there is a nano reef one for SW.... It could be for all nano tanks, like 10 gallons and under. Betta and shrimp tanks would also count. What do you guys think?

In my day most all FW tanks were small tanks so the "NANO" FW tank isn't really a novel idea. The SW Nano tank actually is more of an acheivement as the theory was always "The smaller the tank, the harder to maintain." The cultivation and availability of smaller corals and fish and equipment makes the SW Nano tank more of an accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I like smaller tanks and I love raising small and tiny fish up to maturity. In fact, I am still using the stand I had for my 7 1/2 gallon Metaframe tank from when I was a kid( the one with metal sides and slate bottom. I don't get rid of ANY of my old equipment :brows:) which I've adapted for my 10 gal tank.
Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't think it really needs a thread. Sorry ;)

In my day most all FW tanks were small tanks so the "NANO" FW tank isn't really a novel idea. The SW Nano tank actually is more of an acheivement as the theory was always "The smaller the tank, the harder to maintain." The cultivation and availability of smaller corals and fish and equipment makes the SW Nano tank more of an accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I like smaller tanks and I love raising small and tiny fish up to maturity. In fact, I am still using the stand I had for my 7 1/2 gallon Metaframe tank from when I was a kid( the one with metal sides and slate bottom. I don't get rid of ANY of my old equipment :brows:) which I've adapted for my 10 gal tank.
Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't think it really needs a thread. Sorry ;)

+1
I know a hobbyist who thinks more about his SW 15g tank than his SW 125g tank.

Truth be told...

+1

Truth be told, I had a 1 gal SW tank and it was a lot more work than my 55 was. I was always checking to make sure everything was balanced because I was doing a natural filtration (the original live rock) tank. Just an airstone. This was over 25 years ago. In a larger tank, it takes longer for the tank to go bad than in a smaller tank. It's the same in FW but not nearly to the same degree as SW.

I don't think there's a debate between which one is more difficult than the other, but just because SW is more difficult than FW does that render FW invalid? I think max has noticed that the FW nano scene has been gaining popularity in the last few years. There's the new-ish species coming from myanmar, the different FW shrimp species, along with the classic favorites like dwarf puffers and badis. Whether that justifies a new section, who knows, but that's my personal view as a hobbyist.

jetajockey said:
I don't think there's a debate between which one is more difficult than the other, but just because SW is more difficult than FW does that render FW invalid? I think max has noticed that the FW nano scene has been gaining popularity in the last few years. There's the new-ish species coming from myanmar, the different FW shrimp species, along with the classic favorites like dwarf puffers and badis. Whether that justifies a new section, who knows, but that's my personal view as a hobbyist.

Yes, exactly my reasoning. :)

Andy Sager said:

Terrance said:
+1

Andy Sager said:
Truth be told, I had a 1 gal SW tank and it was a lot more work than my 55 was. I was always checking to make sure everything was balanced because I was doing a natural filtration (the original live rock) tank. Just an airstone. This was over 25 years ago. In a larger tank, it takes longer for the tank to go bad than in a smaller tank. It's the same in FW but not nearly to the same degree as SW.

I was never debating whether or not SW nano tanks are better than FW nano tanks... I just think the new subforum would help organize the site better and allow deeper discussions on smaller FW species.

The point, guys, is not about how hard either one is. The point is that it would be nice to have a thread for fw nano tanks

paytertot said:
The point, guys, is not about how hard either one is. The point is that it would be nice to have a thread for fw nano tanks

Yes. It would help the forum stay organized and allow more discussion over the topic.

Okay then.....

I was never debating whether or not SW nano tanks are better than FW nano tanks... I just think the new subforum would help organize the site better and allow deeper discussions on smaller FW species.

Okay then, to help me better understand today's hobby, let me ask this question....
Taking nothing away from it's current popularity or resurgence and deleteing any debate on difficulty from SW vs FW, What's so special about a FW nano tank?
It's been done for so many years, was all that was available a number of years ago, and takes the same amount of effort to keep going as a larger tank. As a novelty, I'm sorry but it's not a novel idea. As a specialty aquarium, it's not really special anymore. (As I said, it was all I had when I first got started in the hobby.)
Somebody please educate me :) I'm always willing to learn (y)

We aren't saying its novel or special. Just that lots of people have them, so it might be helpful to have a seperate place for them. And a 5 gallon fw tank is harder to take care of than a 55 gallon.

Andy Sager said:
Okay then, to help me better understand today's hobby, let me ask this question....
Taking nothing away from it's current popularity or resurgence and deleteing any debate on difficulty from SW vs FW, What's so special about a FW nano tank?
It's been done for so many years, was all that was available a number of years ago, and takes the same amount of effort to keep going as a larger tank. As a novelty, I'm sorry but it's not a novel idea. As a specialty aquarium, it's not really special anymore. (As I said, it was all I had when I first got started in the hobby.)
Somebody please educate me :) I'm always willing to learn (y)

There are some species that don't like strong flow or need species only tanks. A lot of them are nano species. Nano tanks allow people to keep such species in a smaller space. In some cases, nano tanks are easier to keep than larger tanks. For example, a high tech planted nano tank doesn't need as much co2 or filtration as a larger system. Nano tanks are a lot less expensive, but seem to be just as fun. Nano tanks also make good tanks for children. In nano tanks it is easier to mimic a (nano) fish's natural environment. For example, in my 5g tank I have 4 gulf coast pygmy sunfish. In nature, they live in very brown (tannins) water. They also live in areas without much flow. I have driftwood in there to leach tannins, and i also have the filter on a low setting. My favorite thing about nano tanks is that they cost <$100, compared to most tanks above 10gs costing a lot more. Basically, IMO you get more bang for your buck because it is just as fun.

paytertot said:
We aren't saying its novel or special. Just that lots of people have them, so it might be helpful to have a seperate place for them. And a 5 gallon fw tank is harder to take care of than a 55 gallon.

+ 1 its not like we hate SW... LOL.

okay...

Okay but, if set up correctly, a 5 gal FW tank shouldn't be harder to maintain than a 55 FW tank. I guess that's what I'm having problems with.:(
The only real difference I had between my little tanks and my biggest tank was the amount of water I had to change each week. You either scaled up or scaled down the equipment but you used the same materials/ items.
I need more info :) Why do you find the 5 gal more difficult?

Andy Sager said:
Okay but, if set up correctly, a 5 gal FW tank shouldn't be harder to maintain than a 55 FW tank. I guess that's what I'm having problems with.:(
The only real difference I had between my little tanks and my biggest tank was the amount of water I had to change each week. You either scaled up or scaled down the equipment but you used the same materials/ items.
I need more info :) Why do you find the 5 gal more difficult?

Well, I am not sure. If it is cycled and set up correctly, and is not overstocked, it should actually be easier. Here's a bunch of reasons:
-less water to change
-less glass to clean
-less filter media to clean
-less gravel to vacuum
-less food to feed

Why does it have to be a "novel idea" to be a forum topic??? The other forum headings aren't novel, but they are relevant most definitely.

+1 for a freshwater nano section. I would love it. :)

But, everything builds up faster. To be honest, the point of this thread was to make a suggestion and that has been done. I don't mean this in a rude way but I'm finishes talking about it all lol.

That is strange... I think it may be just as easy after all. People say that water quality is an issue for small tanks. Well if it is cycled and not overstocked, it should be fine. As long as people don't overstock their nano tanks, I don't think they are harder to keep. Everything is to scale. LOL. People say that it takes less ammonia to kill fish in a 1g. Well duh! Haha. But say you had one shrimp in a 1g. If you had 10 shrimp in a 10g. Sure it would take more ammonia to kill the shrimp in a 10g, but it is still the same amount in proportion... Say it was 1 ppm. If you dosed 1 ppm in a 1g, it would be extremely difficult. If you dosed it in a 10g, it would take 10x the amount for the one gallon.

Jill said:
Why does it have to be a "novel idea" to be a forum topic??? The other forum headings aren't novel, but they are relevant most definitely.

+1 for a freshwater nano section. I would love it. :)

Yes, I agree. People could get better ideas and opinions.

Okay then.....

There are some species that don't like strong flow or need species only tanks. A lot of them are nano species. Nano tanks allow people to keep such species in a smaller space. In some cases, nano tanks are easier to keep than larger tanks. For example, a high tech planted nano tank doesn't need as much co2 or filtration as a larger system. Nano tanks are a lot less expensive, but seem to be just as fun. Nano tanks also make good tanks for children. In nano tanks it is easier to mimic a (nano) fish's natural environment. For example, in my 5g tank I have 4 gulf coast pygmy sunfish. In nature, they live in very brown (tannins) water. They also live in areas without much flow. I have driftwood in there to leach tannins, and i also have the filter on a low setting. My favorite thing about nano tanks is that they cost <$100, compared to most tanks above 10gs costing a lot more. Basically, IMO you get more bang for your buck because it is just as fun.

Okay then, let me ask this:
You say you have 4 pigmy sunfish in a 5 gal tank. Is this tank big enough for them to reach maturity? If it isn't, you are not really doing right by your fish keeping them in a smaller aquarium. This goes back to another thread I participated in with the question being "can you vs should you?"
What you're proposing sounds more like a species specific discussion more than a tank size discussion.
I understand costs and the like but what I'm saying is that if you were to pick up a good book on maintaining a FW tank, the information would apply to any sized aquarium. The word "NANO" does not change anything. If you pick up a book on maintaining a SW aquarium, there is different info for a "NANO" tank due to it's size and limitations.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, it just sounds like this should be a species specific thread more than a tank size thread. Obviously, this is just my opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom