Suggestion to the administration for a new sticky.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well after looking at a lot of threads here on AA it seems that we are gaining a lot of new members from foreign coutries. Well the idea is making a sticky so that the members can have a quick referance for the metric system and vice versa. You know liters to gallons, meters to feet, kilos to pounds, mililiters to ounces I think. This way it doesn't matter what part of the world your at we can all get a general idea of what the other one has for specs. Offcoarse some people don't need these references but I am sure a lot of members would find it handy. I'm sure something that would automatically convert number posting based on server location would be very cost prohibitive, but just a quick refeance sticky would be cool. Thanks guys.

We used to have a half dozen or so calculators and one of them was a conversion of metric to US measurements. It didnt go as far as convert ounces, and such but a recent server side upgrade broke the calcs.

If you or any other member knows PHP well and is willing to try to rewrite the calcs I can send you the source.

To be fully honest we have found over the years that stickies and announcements in the forums do very little. A topic that is stickied will still get plenty of posts asking the very question the sticky answers. In addition with the conversions there are so many places/forums where one would want a quick reference to a conversion tool that we would need to do something like a global announcement for it and we want to keep those to a minimum if possible. The calculators when they worked where linked in the header so it was seen from all forums.

I did actually find the calcs but it wasn't untill I made an errant trip into the photo gallery for something. Oh, well if I would of known that I probably wouldn't of started this thred, but rather another one asking why the calcs dont work. LOL As the first post says I would love to help with the PHP but you where the one that had to drag me out of the darkages switching over to FireFox so I doubt I would be of any help there. LOL

Thanks LWB for the link, I think I am going to have to put that in a tab for a quick referance.

Back
Top Bottom