What does "Premium Member" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I've been using this wonderful site for a while now but just recently noticed some members with a "Premium Member" sign over their name.

What does this mean? Why do some members have it? And how did they get it?

Also, just out of plain curiosity, how are moderators chosen?

Thanks!

I think you have to sponsor the site to get one. Andy R has one, I clicked on it, and It said that.

Tyler

Cool, thanks. What about the Mod thing? I'm just curious of how the moderators on this site were selected.

Moderators are selected from mentors in most instances. They are people that have consistently shown good advice and posting practices on the site. The staff votes on who they want to become moderators.

Thanks guys for answering my questions! :)
They were just a few things I've always had in the back of my mind since I joined this site.
Thank you.

I'm not aware of any Moderators that have stopped posting and helping. They do have some additional duties to what the Mentors do, and if they see good advice has already been given may bypass a thread.
So I'm hoping you meant that 'tongue-in-cheek'.

AND... mentors don't have to go through the Mod initiation. I hear that it's brutal! :p

And then when they get chosen to be a mod, they stop posting/helping! (Except for BigJim, that is)

Even though we are mods... we still have lives! :) I've been gone for a while since I'm working 7 days a week and getting ready to go to Cape Town but I usually try to check in every other day.

Mods/mentors, I look at them all the same. You guys might be helping in the saltwater section, but I don't see alot of you in the freshwater.
I have noticed that most mods/mentors just stop helping out as much when they get moved to that position.
I have a busy life too, but I still get on here every day. I don't want someone with a sick fish to get on here, post a question, and then not get help for 2-3 days, since it's usually a little late by then.
I am expressing my opinion, no need to get feathers all ruffled, it's just something I have noticed. ;)

Nothing ruffled here, but I'll state my .02.

I post less now than before, but read more. I try to hold myself to posting only if I can provide new information or bolster good information by posting real experiences in a thread. I will quickly bow out of a thread that seems to be destined to fail due to either an OP's unwillingness to accept information or repeated bad advice being giving by new members. I'm about the worst at choosing my words and tend to come off a bit abrasive so I delete almost as many posts as I leave. lol

Besides the mentors and mods are here to help, but the vast majority of knowledge and experience is mathematically on the side of the members. We have a lot of wonderful members with a lot of good advice to share like yourself and honestly if I see good advice from a member, I'll usually give it a "+1" if it's early in the thread or just move on if it's an older thread. The members make the site, no way around that. :)

I post less now than before, but read more.

The members make the site, no way around that. :)

I couldn't agree more. There is a lot more going on in the 'back-end' of the site than you might think. I read tons of posts but usually by the time I check (late at night) they have all been answered.

The biggest thing I care about is posts with 0 replies. Even if I don't know the answer I will google it and read up on it until I can at least point them in the right direction.

I use the quick link (Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Search Results) to find all the posts that were made today and then go through one by one and make sure they all get answered.

I believe that's most of the mentors and mods do. If a post was answered by another member there's no reason to post again as a mentor or mod. If the question is goling in the wrong direction or has incorrect information I'll usually chime in.

I couldn't agree more. There is a lot more going on in the 'back-end' of the site than you might think. I read tons of posts but usually by the time I check (late at night) they have all been answered.

The biggest thing I care about is posts with 0 replies. Even if I don't know the answer I will google it and read up on it until I can at least point them in the right direction.

I use the quick link (Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Search Results) to find all the posts that were made today and then go through one by one and make sure they all get answered.

Wow, that's nice of you to do :)
Lol I was just reading your post and thought that was kind so I wanted to let ya know, haha.

Back
Top Bottom