what happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadielynn

Aquarium Advice Addict
WOW what happened to the site ? I cant log in and when I do get here I have to relog in ? Is there some sort of DOS attack in the works ? :(

Yea, the site was down all morning (eastern time). I can finally log in again now. I believe Aaron posted something about a failing hard drive on an old server that was also under a DOS attack against a different hosted site.

Those suck there is no real cure for DOS attack ,other than manual banning

Note the two issues are not related other than just timming. The DOS in no way caused the read/write issues on the drive. That was a physcial failure. The DOS attack has been taken care of with a much more agressive and automated firewall/script scanning system that I put into place on the new server load.

I know this is an all volunteer thing, and you're looking at reworking the site anyway, but can I say I was a little disappointed that the trufelsite/googlerank issue wasn't taken care of when this maintenance was being done? It's nice that you've put in a stronger firewall to protect YOUR servers, but it's getting a little tiresome hitting the "stop" button to kill that script before it hogs up all my memory. Let alone the folks that don't have up to date anti-virus that have gotten bit by it.

Don't take this the wrong way - this site is one of the best ones I've found out there. But this issue has been around for quite a while, and folks will only have so much patience with it until they just give up and frequent somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom