Why can't I upload larger pics??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I was going to add more but, Im getting sick of the "attachment is too big" crap. Sorry, but, that is very frustrating. I think we should be able to post what we want :x 8O :evil:

Well I was going to add more but, Im getting sick of the "attachment is too big" crap. Sorry, but, that is very frustrating. I think we should be able to post what we want .

Well, I suppose when space on the internet is free, and bandwith is unlimited and all users are on a broadband connection....we will allow you to post pics as large as you want :roll:

I gotta wonder about this as well...Why do you post the pics anyway? Do you do it for you to look at, or is your desire for us to look at them? Or simply those of us with a broadband connection? I'm on dial up, broadband will not be available in my area for at least another year, maybe longer. I won't wait 5-10 minutes for a pic to load, I suspect other dial-up users are the same way.

Now onto what should have been all I had to say :wink: The pics look great!

I can sympathize with both sides here.

Good looking pics MP!
You have a new camera and software (as do I) so it is frustrating for us to try to post pics while learning the tech stuff that will allow us to make them small enough.

I had dial-up for years, so I know what its like waiting for 5 minutes or more for pics to download.

Reefrunner wrote:

I gotta wonder about this as well...Why do you post the pics anyway? Do you do it for you to look at, or is your desire for us to look at them?

Dude, this forum is called Showoff/Photography, end of story.

Its rather simple. Dont try to upload images larger than 125KB. They will not work.

Obviously netetiqite says to have images that are only as big as they need to be to show that your trying to show. If you have a large image but there is only 1 specific part of the image you want people to focus on then crop the image down so you dont have all the extra. If your image is 1800X1600 then resize it to 800X600.

If the image is a Jpeg then drop the compression qualty a few points. Save it under a different name if your worried the image will suffer but I can tell you the average human eye will not notice the difference between a image saved with 70 jpeg compression or an image saved with 95 jpeg compression, and the one saved under 70 compression will be much smaller in size.

With that said there is 1 very easy way to get around our little file size limit. If you dont want to be restricted to 125kb then upload your images to your website. Then use the [ / img] tag to link your image from your website to your post. Since your not saving the image to this website your image will not be restricted in size nor will it be thumbnailed when displayed.

Just note that if you do link several large images you should also add to the subject (large photos) or something to that effect to give dialup users fair warning they may be waiting.

I ask that anyone who has a website of theirown that can upload images and store them on THEIR website do this. It will save vaulable disk space on this webserver and it will also give you full and total control over your image sizes.

Thanks for the explination on the picture posting problem fishfreek. I needed some light shead on it because I wasnt sure why I was having the problem. What you said makes sense.

As far as why I post pics reefrunner, is simply to show off. I am on dial up on my home computer and I personally dont have a problem waiting for pics to download. I love to see other peoples tanks. I constantly draw inspiration from other peoples tanks. If someone dont want to wait to see a photo download, then go to another thread. I never said people HAD to look at my pics, I just posted them in case they wanted to see my tank, thats all. After all, thats one major part I enjoy about forums, if I can enjoy using this site, then I would probably stop coming.

As far as the coral banded shrimp, I have a mated pair. I belive the picture is the male on. Hes the smaller of the two. And yes your right, him, nor his wife think much of me, or my camera.

As far as why I post pics reefrunner, is simply to show off.
I constantly draw inspiration from other peoples tanks. If someone dont want to wait to see a photo download, then go to another thread. I never said people HAD to look at my pics, I just posted them in case they wanted to see my tank, thats all.

This is my point exacvtly!!! I want to look at the pics posted on this site!!! I do not have the time to wait for 300-400KB (or larger) image to load. If you are posting these pics to show off to others, then making them reasonable in size is going to make the viewing experience, that much more enjoyable.

Dude, this forum is called Showoff/Photography, end of story.

saevilw.gif

Back
Top Bottom