My 20G Cichlid Breeding Tank - Aiming to convert into coldwater river tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

Thought it was about time i put up my other tanks beyond my 46G corner tank elsewhere in this section.

This is my low light 20G.

-Has been setup for about a year now.
-Has the standard 15W light fitting with a Arcadia plant bulb with reflector.
-I don't really fertilize at all other then the occasional bit of potassium.
-It has eco as the substrate which i think has helped keep things alive :)
-Its all pretty much low light plants (like anything else would live). Vall's, crypts, java moss, some java fern thats hung on since my first tank, and a lotus thing which is doing ok but i'm sure would love more light.

Current tank occupants are 2 oto's, 1 female A.Cacotodies (spelling) and 3 or 4 babies that totally hid from sight for months, there may be more. :D

img_879044_0_ad27fdda6b6060febbcf1b0b2a30327f.jpg

--------

Although it has been a great laugh having raising babies over months and month in this tank the raising power costs and a desire to try new things ive got it in my head to convert this to a chinese river tank.

High flow rate with powerhead, white cloud mountain minnows, hillstream loaches. Lots of cobbles, touch of driftwood with a switch to sand as a substrate.

I've been trying to work out the best plants to go with this vision, low light and low temp being the main requirements....

Any help would be appreciated.

But before i rip this down i can appreciate the fact i can grow stuff with bugger all light. :-D

Best Regards,

John

Looks Great man. Wish I had a breeder aquarium like this one.

thanks,

i forgot to mention there are two breeding caves made from small plant pots hidden under the stack of rocks on the left and right.

there is a smaller pile with hiding places in the middle for the teenagers to hide in.

i had two females and a male a.cac in here, which was hillarious when they both spawned at the same time at different ends of the tank at the same time. then turned nasty when the older female beat the younger one into submission as she moved her brood into the other end of the tank and her favored nursery spot. at the same time stealing the reminents of the younger females brood to join hers into a MeGaBrOoD!!.

Best Regards,

John

Back
Top Bottom