Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   white spots on acan's (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/white-spots-on-acans-120889.html)

jcmelski 09-12-2009 02:51 PM

white spots on acan's

1 Attachment(s)
What are these white spots on my Acans? How do I get rid of them? I noticed them today when I went to turn on the lights to my QT tank. I'll admit I haven't kept the qt tank up to par since I've been busy at work then the one weekend I planned on doing major tank cleanings(qt, 29bc and 110g) my family shows up from DC and I get stuck showing them around NY. the acans are now in my 29g BC. should I remove them and do some type of coral dip? I had them in a QT tank with different types of zoo's and a daisy coral(I think that's the name of it.) I wish I could get a closer pic but my camera doesn't let me zoom in too much.

thincat 09-12-2009 03:01 PM

The white spots are on the acan before or after the move to the 29g? Do you have fish in the 29g? might be sand?

jcmelski 09-12-2009 03:10 PM

They were there before the move. I have two clown fish in my 29 and 3-4 shrimp. I say 3-4 shrimp since I can't find my peppermint shrimp anywhere. I didn't have sand in the qt tank. They looked great the day before when I went down to the basement to turn the lights on. Could it be some type of parasite?

AMDPhenomX4 09-12-2009 03:15 PM

Do they dissappear if you disturb the coral? Brush the acan and see if they dissappear. Do they move at all?

jcmelski 09-12-2009 03:30 PM

[QUOTE]Do they dissappear if you disturb the coral? /QUOTE]
They don't disappear or move. I tried brushing the coral then I tried to fan the coral very quickly to let the water flow over it and see what happened. Nothing. Funny thing is I have two acans tha thave the same spots. both were in the same qt tank but they were nowhere near each other. what gives. These Acans are pricey, so I don't want to lose them.

melosu58 09-12-2009 03:56 PM

I wish you could get a closer pic also. Hard for me to see it. Have you tested your water to rule that out.

jcmelski 09-12-2009 04:05 PM

I tested the water in the qt tank with some test strips. I had elevated nitrites so I'm doing a PWC tomorrow also. The funny thing is my zoo's are doing good. they usually don't open up if the water is off. I'll do a PWC in the 29 too. I'll try to get a closer pic. I'll see how can get a pic from the top to see if that helps.

InfernoST 09-13-2009 08:21 AM

Get rid of the test strips and get a good liquid test kit. The test strips are far from accurate

thincat 09-13-2009 02:11 PM

BTW, how old is your setup?

Kurt_Nelson 09-18-2009 04:19 PM

Can you describe where these white spots are on that picture? I'm just not seeing them. Looks like a healthy acan to me.

jcmelski 09-19-2009 11:03 AM

my 29 is 7 months old. my qt tank was about 3 months old.
Kurt
the spots are hard to see in the pic. they almost looked like the parasite that attacks clams but I spoke to someone at my LFS and he told me there isn't any parasites that attack Acans. Well right now I think the Acans are a total loss!:(
they're completely white, receded, and I see no way that there still alive. only time will tell i guess.

Zer0 09-19-2009 12:10 PM

Well your LFS is dumb because coral can and do get parasites/diseases.