Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Cichlid Discussion (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   My Jewel has bloat :( (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/my-jewel-has-bloat-186515.html)

CraigMac 01-05-2012 10:27 PM

My Jewel has bloat :(
 
Nd doesn't look good. Is there anything I can do? Are my other fish at risk?

Jmedic25 01-05-2012 10:39 PM

If your sure its bloat you need to get some metro...Seachem metro...Its an antibiotic. Your other fish are at risk. I soaked the food in metro and dosed the water. If your jewel is not eating and bloated already. It may be too late.

CraigMac 01-05-2012 10:56 PM

I was afraid it's too late for him. Stomach is swollen and he mainly sits on the substrate. So the other fish are at risk and I should medicate the entire tank? Will it kill off my bacteria and cause an ammonia issue?

Jmedic25 01-06-2012 12:02 AM

Metro is safe for your bacteria. You may want to euthanize him. I would treat your whole tank and then mix up a paste from nls, garlic, and metro. Try to lower stress, keep lights off. keep water perfect as possible. Make sure your only feeding NLS for now. Im not sure what your stock is. Just make sure its what your supposed to be feeding them. Some sources say bloat is caused by food like blood worms, and beef heart. Dosent agree with mbuna.. Also I dont feed my fish on Wednesday. Giving them a fasting day is supposed to help. check out the seachem website for dosing instructions for metro

CraigMac 01-06-2012 12:09 AM

Thanks. I too give a dating day but unfortunately I'm learning the hard way about the importance of good food. The flake food I've been giving them has 48% protein, I'm reading that protein should be under 40? This sux and I feel so bad for him. Hope the rest of the crew avoid it.

joel618 01-06-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigMac
Thanks. I too give a dating day but unfortunately I'm learning the hard way about the importance of good food. The flake food I've been giving them has 48% protein, I'm reading that protein should be under 40? This sux and I feel so bad for him. Hope the rest of the crew avoid it.

Also add epsome salt when you do your next pwc. I add 1tsp per 10 gallons when I suspect bloat. It will also add to the hardness of your water which your fish will like. Some add more but I try to add as little additives to the water as possible. Also feed blanched, deshelled peas once a week imo, it will help their digestion.

CraigMac 01-06-2012 12:23 AM

Ok thanks guys. Should I increase water temp to or no?

joel618 01-06-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigMac
Ok thanks guys. Should I increase water temp to or no?

It wouldn't hurt, just do it slowly. Higher temp will increase metabolism and digestion.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic 01-06-2012 01:45 PM

the advice was all correct and i hope its going to do well.

what i have heard works well is something to act like a laxative as soon as it starts eating again, like shelled/ blanched peas. but keep on with the treatment to prevent the other fish getting it x

Jmedic25 01-06-2012 01:47 PM

Most cichlid keepers agree that New life spectrum food is the best.

CraigMac 01-06-2012 02:43 PM

Is it ok to leave him in the tank and treat the whole tank or should I get another tank and pull him? I don't have a 2nd tank. Also is it bad to feed him, will he not eat? What about feeding my other guys? I don't wanna not feed any of them but if more food is bad for him what do I do?

joel618 01-06-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigMac
Is it ok to leave him in the tank and treat the whole tank or should I get another tank and pull him? I don't have a 2nd tank. Also is it bad to feed him, will he not eat? What about feeding my other guys? I don't wanna not feed any of them but if more food is bad for him what do I do?

Treat the whole tank. Do you have any "scaleless" fish in there? Ifso be careful about your dosage. I would hold off on feeding anything for at least 5 days. They will act hungry but they can go up to 30 without eating. Take a holding female for example.

CraigMac 01-06-2012 03:52 PM

Thanks. No scaleless fish. Good to know about feeding, I know they ALWAYS act starving but I can hold off for awhile. Will that increase aggression or they should be fine? Should I keep the lights off more?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for all the help.

joel618 01-06-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigMac
Thanks. No scaleless fish. Good to know about feeding, I know they ALWAYS act starving but I can hold off for awhile. Will that increase aggression or they should be fine? Should I keep the lights off more?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for all the help.

It may increase aggression some but they should be fine. Personally I keep the lights off when treating a tank. It helps them chill out.

Ask away, I will do my best to help. You have good questions, and I know how it is to be worried about something. My mind races with new questions.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.