Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

pcdebb 08-20-2012 07:19 PM

That's great news!

Bearchumjs 08-20-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronjohn20
Thanks everyone. Surgery went great and she is in her room resting! I just don't understand how they expect a 5yr old (6 in two days) to be down for 4 weeks lol

Awesome news! I was thinking about her all day. She'll be up and running in no time... 4 weeks... Yeah right!

Bearchumjs 08-20-2012 07:36 PM

I finally got my salinity in check on my pico start up. Added a new male swordtail to the 55. He is just what my tank needed!

Oceangirl 08-21-2012 12:24 PM

Lets see...

I Got 2 more platies for the main tank, One sunburst and 1 red wag to replace the one I lost. Removed the Endler Live bearer from main tank in now in with the guppies, stupid thing drives everyone in the tank to madness. Changed water in both tanks. Day 2 of treatment for a Platy, perhaps had a tail fungus due to nipping from Endler. Now settled down for a little lurk around the net. Should I get rid of it? the Endler got it free with a plant.

Bearchumjs 08-21-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceangirl
I Got 2 more platies for the main tank, One sunburst and 1 red wag to replace the one I lost. Removed the Endler Live bearer from main tank in now in with the guppies, stupid thing drives everyone in the tank to madness. Changed water in both tanks. Day 2 of treatment for a Platy, perhaps had a tail fungus due to nipping from Endler. Now settled down for a little lurk around the net. Should I get rid of it? the Endler got it free with a plant.

What kind? Picture? Male or female?

54seaweed 08-21-2012 01:04 PM

waiting on fed ex with my box of goodies

Oceangirl 08-21-2012 04:07 PM

Four girls and one boy. The male platy is sunburst red wag I guess, the girls are a Panda Platy, DARK red wag Platy, 2 sunburst Platy. The one looks just like sunshine I have the best news!! I just got a new job, they just called me and offered!! I accepted!! NO More retail for this girl! :dance:

Oceangirl 08-21-2012 04:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
They held STILL!! sort of!

BBradbury 08-21-2012 04:24 PM

What I Did to my Tanks

I'll tell you what I did. I got in over my head when it comes to the water keeping hobby and got tired of large, weekly water changes. Every weekend, I was carrying buckets of water up and down the stairs. I did this for years.

I read about emersing the roots of certain land plants into the aquarium water and the roots would take in the nitrogens from the fish waste and keep the water clean. So, I put Chinese evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos plants into the water. Just emersed the plant roots and the leaves stayed above the water.

I tested the water after a week and the ammonia and nitrites were "0" and the nitrates were at 10 ppm. So, I cleaned the filters and left everything else alone. I did top off the tank, but that's all.

The second week, I did the same thing. The land plants have been in the 5 large, tanks for more than two months. I've only changed out a few gallons a week to rinse the filters. The water chemistry is fine.

Mission accomplished. No more large, weekly water changes and the tanks are balanced. The new plants are growing very well thanks to the fish and the plants keep the water cleaner than I did!

B

pcdebb 08-21-2012 04:31 PM

That's quite interesting!

Bearchumjs 08-21-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Four girls and one boy. The male platy is sunburst red wag I guess, the girls are a Panda Platy, DARK red wag Platy, 2 sunburst Platy. The one looks just like sunshine I have the best news!! I just got a new job, they just called me and offered!! I accepted!! NO More retail for this girl! :dance:

Beautiful platies. I like that panda!

I was wondering about the little endler though. Lol! I'll take him if people think he'd survive shipping to WA state and shipping is low cost.

54seaweed 08-21-2012 05:31 PM

well my goodies came

6 new corals 1 feather duster

tons of pods , brine , mysiss filled up breeder tank

cheatoe my other macro was out of stock :facepalm:

Duddits 08-21-2012 05:35 PM

Fished out my dead Nimbochromis Livingstonii cichlid :(

Bearchumjs 08-21-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed
well my goodies came

6 new corals 1 feather duster

tons of pods , brine , mysiss filled up breeder tank

cheatoe my other macro was out of stock :facepalm:

Nikki_kaiser and I want to know how you get your corals ready to go into your tank? So that you kill any parasites they might have on them.

54seaweed 08-21-2012 05:35 PM

breeder tank

54seaweed 08-21-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs (Post 2083543)
Nikki_kaiser and I want to know how you get your corals ready to go into your tank? So that you kill any parasites they might have on them.

I Acclimate them first than a satlwater dip in clean tank water bout a gal swish knocks out any thing hiding than I add to my main tank

a lot will say quarantine first but I never had a issue doing it my way so I just do my thing :thumb:

Bearchumjs 08-21-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

I Acclimate them first than a satlwater dip in clean tank water bout a gal swish knocks out any thing hiding than I add to my main tank

a lot will say quarantine first but I never had a issue doing it my way so I just do my thing :thumb:

Thank you, and your breeding tanks look awesome. The ultimate sea monkey tank!

DragonFish71 08-21-2012 06:58 PM

Let's see, I added my new guys to their tanks after being in QT for two months.

6 rummynose tetras

6 lampeye killies

6 CPDs

3 threadfin rainbows

2 CPOs

Tetra1990 08-21-2012 09:29 PM

Moved all of my young java fern from my 29 to the 10 gallon. Fed the crew and debating weather or not to get rid of ALL of my hornwort. Its pretty but getting out of control. Anyone want it?

aaronjohn20 08-22-2012 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got home from the hospital today and checked in on my fish and fed them all. Didn't expect to find any dead and didn't :) I feed them twice a day. I fed them yesterday b4 we left and late 2day so they only missed out on 1 feeding each day. Daughters doin pretty good. Here she is right after surgery!

Attachment 114023

As u can see she didn't feel too good but after some tylenol with codine and 1ml of morphine and she was better. Oh man, u shoulda seen her b4 surgery when they give her valume (not sure how to spell it), she was the goofiest kid around!

Bearchumjs 08-22-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Got home from the hospital today and checked in on my fish and fed them all. Didn't expect to find any dead and didn't :) I feed them twice a day. I fed them yesterday b4 we left and late 2day so they only missed out on 1 feeding each day. Daughters doin pretty good. Here she is right after surgery!

As u can see she didn't feel too good but after some tylenol with codine and 1ml of morphine and she was better. Oh man, u shoulda seen her b4 surgery when they give her valume (not sure how to spell it), she was the goofiest kid around!

Poor little angel! I pray that she heals quickly! And I'm happy none of the fish died. :)

Exterminatank 08-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Awww. Get well.

Alyxx 08-22-2012 08:11 PM

Hooray! I finally ordered an aqueon water changer!!! No more buckets for me once it comes in! For anyone else looking at picking one up, the 25 foot one is on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith's website for around $25, which is cheaper than I've ever seen one online.

But it's water change day as it is so I'm going to get off of my iPad and go do some water changes the old fashioned way, with a siphon and bucket.

cbourg746 08-22-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx
Hooray! I finally ordered an aqueon water changer!!! No more buckets for me once it comes in! For anyone else looking at picking one up, the 25 foot one is on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith's website for around $25, which is cheaper than I've ever seen one online.

But it's water change day as it is so I'm going to get off of my iPad and go do some water changes the old fashioned way, with a siphon and bucket.

Ooooooh.....just wait till your new friend arrives. Goodbye buckets, hello free time.

Alyxx 08-22-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbourg746

Ooooooh.....just wait till your new friend arrives. Goodbye buckets, hello free time.

I can't wait. I did a 60% water change on my 56 gallon tank, so I emptied roughly 12 buckets. Filled it back up with the water hose, though. Did a big water change on my 5 gallon invert tank as well, and topped off the puffer tank.

clearancepuppy 08-23-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duddits
Fished out my dead Nimbochromis Livingstonii cichlid :(

Oh dear. I am sorry.

clearancepuppy 08-23-2012 12:48 AM

I think siphoning with a bucket is a skill anyone with a tank needs, just like it is a good idea to know how to drive a stick shift.

*python next purchase on list*

pcdebb 08-23-2012 02:07 AM

I counted more guppy fry today lol

Nu-Nu the eel 08-23-2012 02:09 AM

I watched my tank on a webcam and made sure all my fish and coral are ok...

Im offended, they seem happier when im not around. Lol

Bearchumjs 08-23-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I watched my tank on a webcam and made sure all my fish and coral are ok...

Im offended, they seem happier when im not around. Lol

I'm sure you are just imagining that! Its good they are doing well!

aaronjohn20 08-23-2012 08:05 AM

Was checking in on the breeder/fry tank, if you all remember I had said that I put some java moss in it to try and keep fry alive. Well the wife is the one that actually went and picked it up from the lfs. Anyways, I was checking the tank out and I come across a little tiny snail or something just chillin on the heater. I give her crap for it lol, and then I told her when you buy plants you are more than likely to have snails in them or eggs from snails. Hopefully there is just this one in the. Any ideas on getting rid of them if there becomes too many?????

pcdebb 08-23-2012 03:57 PM

You better get him now while you see him! Next week there will be more, considering what type. I had to totally break down a tank due to so many snails.

BBradbury 08-23-2012 05:37 PM

Snails

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 (Post 2085865)
Was checking in on the breeder/fry tank, if you all remember I had said that I put some java moss in it to try and keep fry alive. Well the wife is the one that actually went and picked it up from the lfs. Anyways, I was checking the tank out and I come across a little tiny snail or something just chillin on the heater. I give her crap for it lol, and then I told her when you buy plants you are more than likely to have snails in them or eggs from snails. Hopefully there is just this one in the. Any ideas on getting rid of them if there becomes too many?????

Hello aaron...

Good for your wife. Snails, in general, are an asset to any tank. I keep around 30-40, small Ramshorn snails in my planted tanks and have no visible algae anywhere. The snails remove it and any other decaying plant and fish material.

The Ramshorn variety don't damage healthy plants and if you don't over feed your fish, the snail numbers stay at a very managable number. You can get an interesting variety of colors too, from the standard brown, to a clear shell, red, grey and even a rare, white hybrid. I think they're a nice, natural addition to my tanks.

B

aaronjohn20 08-23-2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I actually found 2 today. This ones near the back corner. All that brown stuff is dead crap from the plant in there. I've been vacuuming it up, done it once need to do it again since its all together again. The other one is still on the heater. I tried to get a pic if it but its just too darn small.

Attachment 114391

Tetra1990 08-23-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Take all the new plants out ASAP and rinse them off.

aaronjohn20 08-23-2012 10:19 PM

As I'm lookin in on the tank today, I've found 5 more snails for a total of 7 so far. Good thing this is only a 10g tank so if I do break it down to clean it, it'll be a breeze.

ErinMcG 08-24-2012 10:41 AM

Pwc on main tank and Jupiter's 5 gallon tank. Gravel vac for both.

Added some java moss. Jupiter got a ball of it, all tied around a rock. He seemed quite curious about it. The rest is actually confined to a breeding trap in the big tank, while I wait for my new chunk of wood to soak. Once the new wood is ready, I can pull out the last plastic ornament from the big tank. :) Resisted the urge to buy more fish for the big tank. Mid-Sep is when I will allow myself more.

Mostly, stared at Alfred and worried. I moved him back to his bowl yesterday with aught but his heater, a thermometer, a wee bit of gravel, and awed silk plant. And salt and betta revive. Not sure there's any point in testing his tank parameters again (on his 5 gallon) - they were fine yesterday. Just can't work out what is making him sick.

aaronjohn20 08-24-2012 10:53 PM

Took the plants out of the 10g today to rinse any snails and eggs off and the wife WASN'T happy bout that lol. Told her someone on here recommended it and she was like "I hate your fish family"! Lol, I guess she wanted the snails. But like I told her. There's still snails in there, I just didn't want the tank overrun with them

BBradbury 08-25-2012 07:26 AM

Snail Infestation

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 (Post 2088043)
Took the plants out of the 10g today to rinse any snails and eggs off and the wife WASN'T happy bout that lol. Told her someone on here recommended it and she was like "I hate your fish family"! Lol, I guess she wanted the snails. But like I told her. There's still snails in there, I just didn't want the tank overrun with them

Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

ErinMcG 08-25-2012 11:23 PM

Busy fish day.

Our tenants left a fish tank when they broke their lease. They left a lot of other stuff too, but the tank pissed me off. It had fish in it! The guy got it used and obviously didn't care for it. Beautiful tank with huge plants, but full of algae. Like hugely full. And some sort of weird scum on top that almost looked like a fungus. One giant gourami and one zebra danio were swimming in that crud.

We tried to get someone to take the tank, but had no luck. So, I managed to get the fish into an ice cream bucket (no net, so it was tricky). We dumped the tank out and put it outside the house. Posted an ad on the public exchange and someone picked the tank up before we even made it to the ferry.

The fish survived the ferry ride and hour long car drive to our place. And I had a home arranged for them via Used Victoria before I even made it home. I slowly changed out about half their water with clean water treated with Prime, while I waited for the woman to come get them. So relieved when she said that she had quarantine tanks and that she wasn't planning to dump them in right away with her other fish. I confess, I was worried about it.

I acquired a master API test kit that had never been used. All the seals were still in place. But, I need to get colour cards for it. It had the manual and the ammonia card, but none of the others. Anyone know where I can get them?

Now that the evening has settled a bit, I am going to feed my fish and stare at them for a while. Oops... After I do a pwc for my sick betta.

aaronjohn20 08-25-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury

Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.

clearancepuppy 08-26-2012 02:49 AM

I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@

54seaweed 08-26-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearancepuppy (Post 2089639)
I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@

lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established :thumb:
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish:thumb:

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did

Tetra1990 08-26-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearancepuppy

Did your bank account have a say in this?lol

BBradbury 08-26-2012 10:54 AM

Mea Culpa

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 (Post 2089447)
I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.

Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B

bigbanker 08-26-2012 11:25 AM

B, I agree with you on the snails and feeding.

I currently have a 55g with pfs and a bucket of salt waiting to be set up but I too keep chickening out.

aaronjohn20 08-26-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury

Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B

No harm done. We currently have prob around 10 snails in the tank. I may just let them grow and then move them to the community tank. I would move them to the oscars tank as his gets dirtyer but I'm afraid he would have snacks then

clearancepuppy 08-26-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990

Did your bank account have a say in this?lol

It is not speaking to me at the moment. :P

clearancepuppy 08-26-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established :thumb:
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish:thumb:

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did

The 150 got emptied today and fish are in a barrel with the Marineland 530 running in it. I am going to Lowes later to scope out pond supplies. Then the 150 will be thoroughly cleaned and set up inside. With no fish. I am liking the idea of tinier fish ATM but right now just going to take my time with this.

Tetra1990 08-26-2012 06:08 PM

This Sunday was different than any other Sunday. I usually do nothing, even feed, on this day. But last week was a barn burner at work. So today I did an extra large pwc on the 29 and pulled 90-95% of my hornwort out as it was clamming the entire tank for itself. Normal 15% pwc on the 10 g along with a gravel vac. Interesting tid bit, after I cleaned everything up, I noticed all of my ghost shrimp in the 29 were out and real active. I never see more than 1-2 and I have around 15!

pcdebb 08-26-2012 07:49 PM

finally broke down the flatback hex today (gotta seal a leak). I made a sweet deal on another 44 gallon corner tank for only $30. the lady advertised it as a 35 gallon, and got a ton of calls, the person before me didnt call back so it's sitting in my corner now :) Saved a good portion of the water so I ended up doing a good PWC. once it settles I will move over the angels.

now its time to do some general regular maintenance on the other tanks

clearancepuppy 08-26-2012 08:13 PM

Got a complete above ground pond kit for $150 at Lowe's (orig $400). First, I was looking at the boxed ones on sale at end of season (there is something so bittersweet about nurseries at this time of year), which were marked $317 from $400. They have a series of three porthole windows. It includes the fountain (faux granite rectangle) and underwater filter. I left that area, because I am not in the mood to dig out a pond and am not going to spend $317 on this project. So I take a walk around the place looking at plants and such, when I find an area with what looks like pond fountains formerly on display. This black framework woven panel complete pond kit was in pieces with no sticker. I asked about it and the guy working there called his manager. Said he could sell it for $150.

It is already set up and fish are now transferred into their new apartment. They love the porthole windows. :D

https://penningtonaquagarden.com/index.php?id=9 (89 gallons)

BBradbury 08-26-2012 08:28 PM

Terraphyte / Biotope Tanks

Not much work to be done on my 5 large tanks anymore. The large, weekly water changes took so much time and effort on the weekends. Well, no more.

The Aglaonema, Philodendron and Pothos have cleaned the water more efficiently then I ever did when I was changing out half the tank volume every week. Kind of wish I'd known about these plants sooner. But, I know about them now and I did get some exercise going up and down the stairs for 6 or so years.

B

kjacks 08-27-2012 10:30 PM

Started a new job n sold my 55gal that never evenbgot fish in it .. keep tending to my small community 10g n really wantin a bigger tank so with this paycheck im gonna redo my 10gal n look at 75-100gal tanks .. im gettin my water n everything done and prayin tropical storm isaac is nice enough to let us keep our lights..but i have plenty of water jugs n gas for the generator ..oh n considerin buyin a betta for my office just dont think ill have enough room n dont really want a small tank would like atleast 5gals for the lil guy..

Bearchumjs 08-27-2012 10:35 PM

I looked at my fish and think I for ripped off on my swordtail. He's supposed to be red. He's just orange. I still like him though. I bought the water for a pwc on my 55 community and 5 gal cycling pico reef. I may do it later. But it's been a busy day.

54seaweed 08-27-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

prayin tropical storm isaac is nice enough to let us keep our lights..but i have plenty of water jugs n gas for the generator
Remember to stay safe ..Be prepared for anything you know how those storms are
I don't miss those storms one bit
after bertha and fran I had enough bertha fed my home to the ocean than the house I rented after losing my house lost its roof to fran
2 homes in 2 weeks I had enough

hope you and your family stay safe and dry

Alyxx 08-27-2012 11:50 PM

Just worried a little, seeing as tropical storm Issac is likely to knock my power out tomorrow. Hopefully the power will stay on through the storm, or get restored quickly. If not, well, I guess I'll be changing some water a few cups at a time from my Brita pitcher and keeping things aerated.

54seaweed 08-28-2012 12:43 AM

if you have like a battery operated fan hang it close to the water it will help keep water moving some

kjacks 08-28-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

I don't miss those storms one bit
after bertha and fran I had enough bertha fed my home to the ocean than the house I rented after losing my house lost its roof to fran
2 homes in 2 weeks I had enough

hope you and your family stay safe and dry

Thanks...hate to here u lost all that.. we have been lucky n the only ones we were really affected by was katrina n rita. But we also didnt have fish then .. im not concerned about my betta he will b fine its the 3 otos i worry about most so im gonna try n find a fan today n keep my water for backup to make changes if needed..

LyndaB 08-28-2012 02:42 PM

Checked the community tank and spotted new endlers fry! Whoot! I just love these guys, they are SO incredibly small.

Added some beautiful najas grass to my RCS tank and the community tank. Makes a huge difference!

clearancepuppy 08-29-2012 12:19 AM

Tested new 89 gal patio pond. Did 1/3 water change before test. Changed the Marineland 530 out for the underwater filter with light that came with it. Zeros all tests.

29 FW now down to eel, cory, pleco, and gourami, the latter is so laid back now you'd think he was living in San Diego lol... But tests not so good as the tank's vibe, with 80 nitrates and nitrites can't recall at moment but too high so I gave it 2 caps of prime and a spoon of salt. Will do another pwc tomorrow. I have cut back on feeding but am probably still overdoing it. Having a problem with the eel eyeing cory as snack now that eel is bored after the 3 goldfish moved to their new "pond". O_o

PS... Plans are to move the 150 indoors this weekend so anyone who wants to come up to escape the hurricane can get a free meal (other hobby is cooking :P) if you help move this glass monster...

clearancepuppy 08-29-2012 12:52 AM

Excuse me (been a long week already x_x)... The ph outdoor 89 was 7.6 sheesh...

aaronjohn20 08-29-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Did a 20% pwc on my 10g birthing/fry tank. My 1 mickey mouse moon appears that she may have aborted her pregnancy :-(

Good news, was looking in on the 10g today and the moon that I thought had aborted her pregnancy is holding still. I don't really understand it cause before I could see the lil fish eyes, then nothing, and now I can see them again. Weird!!!!!!!!

54seaweed 08-29-2012 03:15 PM

Not quite sure if platy s house their young in their mouth or not ,
I know my African ciclids do that , it s weird seeing them spit them out than suck them back in lol , but it sure was a learning experience

Bearchumjs 08-29-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Not quite sure if platy s house their young in their mouth or not ,
I know my African ciclids do that , it s weird seeing them spit them out than suck them back in lol , but it sure was a learning experience

My Mickey mouse and hi fin variatus fry hide in the plants so the parents don't eat them.

pcdebb 08-29-2012 05:08 PM

If you see A platy going in the parents mouth, they just became dinner. Live bearers are not mouth brooders. I have enough fry that I think they are safe lol

butterfly_koi 08-29-2012 05:23 PM

After three days of being in bed with the flu, I finally felt great enough today to do my water changes. Which were about three days late. I had been performing daily water changes because of a spot of ich on one of my neons, something of which I had not gotten in my tanks in a long time. So I threw in my ear buds, switched on the IPod and cleaned my sand really well, bumped the heat up a bit to 84 (I've been slowly increasing it) and finally planted the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. I'm hoping that it will start growing *Fingers crossed*

Bearchumjs 08-29-2012 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally did my weekly pwc on my 55. I've been so focused on my cycling pico reef (and school starte md this week for the kids) that I would look at my 55 and just didn't want to mess with it. I made myself do it tonight and I enjoyed it. I like how the fishies nibble at my arm. It tickles! My water wisteria is really taking off. It's going to be a forest soon!

clearancepuppy 08-30-2012 12:22 AM

25% pwc on 29 FW and down to 40 nitrate with no gravel in tank cause we are going to move it Sat. Decided to put 150 where it currently is, since it is on a main weightbearing wall. Getting excited about it finally coming together.

Fed outdoor 89 gal water garden fishes, who love the new space.

Sorry you haven't felt well butterfly. Seems every time the seasons start to change, people start catching colds and flu.

Bear...pretty tank!

Bearchumjs 08-30-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearancepuppy
25% pwc on 29 FW and down to 40 nitrate with no gravel in tank cause we are going to move it Sat. Decided to put 150 where it currently is, since it is on a main weightbearing wall. Getting excited about it finally coming together.

Fed outdoor 89 gal water garden fishes, who love the new space.

Sorry you haven't felt well butterfly. Seems every time the seasons start to change, people start catching colds and flu.

Bear...pretty tank!

Thanks puppy! And that's just the left corner. Lol!

clearancepuppy 09-01-2012 12:14 AM

*suddenly thinking about "Dude Where's My Car" where Ashton Kutcher says, "No, I mean THE WHOLE CAR..." roflmao

I have done a 50% water change on the 29 FW. Tomorrow morning, friends are helping move the extremely heavy 150 glass tank into the house. {{{Getting very nervous}}} Hub misses the 8" shubunkins and comet but I told him they would be much happier outside in the pond garden thingy. Too messy, and I am the one doing the maintenance, so that's that. :P

Got a 25' python.

Briefly considered going salt with the 150, then completely chickened out. Took vote on sand color, black or white. Hub and kid want white. I don't mind it actually, but was sort of wanting black.

pcdebb 09-01-2012 12:42 AM

i bet that would be the coolest tank if you would have gone salt!! (DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT) :D

put a marineland LED light on my 44 FOWLR and moved the light from that to the 44 Fresh. cant wait to turn on the moon light tonite to see how that looks in the dark.

put my maroon clown (Moony) back in the 75 tonite.

may get a few more angels tomorrow.

may start to work on the flatback hex re-seal project

clearancepuppy 09-01-2012 12:51 AM

I am so scared I am going to mess up with salt, for some reason. Or maybe it is fear of commitment...:hide:

Plus, I would have to get a really nice LED lighting system (by "nice" meaning at least $300 and programmable of course) and hub has already been looking at me like...hrm....we already spent $500, and then $150 on the outdoor thingy.

Not an easy sell, but then I can usually find a way to "convince" him we "need" this... :flowers:

pcdebb 09-01-2012 12:59 AM

Honestly I felt the same way for a long time. Found a good CL deal and since he sold alot of the stuff to get me started i just went with it. I've found that getting it started is the hardest part. I'm still in the "new tank" time frame, but it is getting easier for me. I've got to mixing the salt just about right (your LFS will even sell you salt water btw), and you just have to keep up with a few extra parameters.

if it wasnt for my love for angelfish and guppies I'd have all saltwater tanks right now

bigbanker 09-01-2012 01:54 AM

After three months of going back and forth I finally added water to my 55g! Saltwater!

Excited and nervous at the same time so I will be taking my time with my new saltwater tank

pcdebb 09-01-2012 02:26 AM

good luck! one thing i've learned about saltwater, time and patience is key :)

Krystle 09-01-2012 02:29 AM

Took down my 30 gallon turtle tank in anticipation of the completion of my new 55 gallon with custom 3d background! Sooo excited!!!!!

clearancepuppy 09-01-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcdebb
good luck! one thing i've learned about saltwater, time and patience is key :)

Someday, my friend, someday...

The 150 is in the house and sand is waiting to be put in. Now nappie tiemz :D. Back at it later.

Bearchumjs 09-01-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbanker
After three months of going back and forth I finally added water to my 55g! Saltwater!

Excited and nervous at the same time so I will be taking my time with my new saltwater tank

Awesome!! It took me 3 months of staring at my 5 gal fluval before I added saltwater! Now its about done cycling and I'll be getting a hermit crab or something small soon. Woot! Do you have a build thread?

clearancepuppy 09-01-2012 11:56 PM

Sand is washed (took four bags of play sand, help from hub and kid, and the very last fringe edge of my last nerve)...is in the 150 tank, which is FINALLY FILLED WITH ACTUAL WATER to be cycled, now closing the door on it all til tomorrow x_x

pcdebb 09-02-2012 12:31 AM

added a couple of 2-stripes to the 44 gallon fowlr
added a couple of angels to the 44 gallon fresh
cleaned out the flatback hex to start working on sealing it up

i'm looking for some sort of goby for sand-sifting duties but can't find anything. may have to do some driving tomorrow to find something. want to add something to the 75.

Tetra1990 09-02-2012 10:37 AM

Nothing because im outta town. Before I left my mom said she would feed the fish, had to hide the food. Not trusting her with turning on/off the lights. I just know that she would leave them on too long. Crossing my fingers she docent do anything 'because the fish looked hungry' lol

bigbanker 09-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

Awesome!! It took me 3 months of staring at my 5 gal fluval before I added saltwater! Now its about done cycling and I'll be getting a hermit crab or something small soon. Woot! Do you have a build thread?

No.... I tend to feel like I'm talking to myself. I did order my lights and currently contemplating a skimmer

clearancepuppy 09-02-2012 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
150 running with Marineland 530 FINALLY.

(((( collapse))))

Bearchumjs 09-02-2012 12:33 PM

@ bigbanker. Awesome! Id have a skimmer on my 55 if it were running as salt. I don't know of any good brands though.

@ clearancepuppy. That is huge!! I'm so glad it finally in the house. Sounds like it was a ton of work!

Oceangirl 09-02-2012 01:27 PM

Dollar per gallon sale going on @ petco now!!!

Bearchumjs 09-02-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Dollar per gallon sale going on @ petco now!!!

What size tank did you buy? Too bad my husband doesn't want a 55 gal tank for his bday....

pcdebb 09-02-2012 03:48 PM

I've been asking them folks and they claimed no time soon since they just had the sale!

Tetra1990 09-02-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

What size tank did you buy? Too bad my husband doesn't want a 55 gal tank for his bday....

I'll gladly take one please.

Slade 09-02-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Too small? I think he probably wants a 125, and he'll love it if you surprise him.

Bearchumjs 09-02-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade

Too small? I think he probably wants a 125, and he'll love it if you surprise him.

LMAO! Aquarium stuff is my hobby. Plus a 125 may fall through the floor. I'd get myself another tank (40 gal breeder) but I'm working on my pico reef project and don't need one right now. Speaking of which- its nearly done cycling and I redid the rockscape today. :)

If anyone is interested in my build it's titled "5 gallon Fluval chi nano?". It's getting to the good part where I get to buy a fish soon!

Alyxx 09-02-2012 06:19 PM

I've done what I've done for the past week, splashed water in with a cup to keep it aerated and done small water changes. Power went out early Tuesday when a tree broke and took out my meter pole and the line to my house. So we have to wait for an electrician to come hook us back up. Should be done tomorrow. But so far my only losses have been some neons that my crayfish thought were supposed to be their tasty dinner. I guess they weren't happy about not being fed to conserve water quality. I did get my python in last week, but I need to get an adapter for it to fit my sink. Figures, lol. So now I'm sitting at a coffee shop enjoying some AC and Internet while I can.

bud29 09-02-2012 06:32 PM

Dosed ammonia today.....week 10 of my cycle. Ugh.

Bubbles0oO 09-02-2012 08:14 PM

Waterchanges, pruning, and well everything! Cleaned out filters, fed and loved them all.

clearancepuppy 09-03-2012 04:40 PM

Boiling rocks for new tank. Put filter material from other in new tank. Getting clearer. Going to do tests on both later tonight.

Bearchumjs 09-03-2012 04:45 PM

I fed my little friends bloodworms today! They loved them. :)

shellyx 09-03-2012 05:29 PM

Did a 30% clean on my big tank, my husband helped arrange the plants think it,ll be the last time he,ll do it my elephant nose constantly chased & nipped him, don't think he was too impressed lol then I cleaned my bettas tank :)

Terrance 09-03-2012 05:36 PM

After being away for a 2 week vacation, I did a 75-85% water change for Barney and Titus.

I'm about to start cycling for my 46g mixed reef.

Heard from a member of my aquarium society about Petco restarting the Dollar Per Gallon Sale. Ends 9/22?

Bearchumjs 09-03-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrance
After being away for a 2 week vacation, I did a 75-85% water change for Barney and Titus.

I'm about to start cycling for my 46g mixed reef.

Heard from a member of my aquarium society about Petco restarting the Dollar Per Gallon Sale. Ends 9/22?

It may be by location. My petco isn't doing it. At least I don't think. They had one in july at my local store. Give your store a call and ask!

Alyxx 09-03-2012 06:26 PM

I moved my last remaining marbled crayfish into my 56 gallon tank this morning and changed about 60% of the water in that tank when I got home from work. Power is still out, and the 5 gallon tank crashed bad last night. All but one Marbled cray were belly up by the time I changed their water last night, and I'm pretty sure most of the snails and shrimp in there are gone, too. Thought I might pass out hauling the buckets in the hot house today, but I managed. I'm going to see about picking up an adapter for my new water changer tomorrow when the local hardware store reopened from labor day. Good news is, power will be back Wednesday at the latest, and today starts a two week vacation from work so I can get my tanks back into prime condition once we get power back on.