Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 02-26-2017 06:09 PM

Dunked all the DW into the 46G to start soaking, a couple hours later, every snail in the tank is either already on the DW or headed in that direction.

megi-lin 02-26-2017 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a 50% PWC on my 20 gal. Didn't realize I was doing such a heavy change until I replaced 9 gallons of water (took out 8.) I did a good gravel vac. It was SO much better today after giving bloodworms twice a day for the past 6 days due to chronic constipation problems. The floor was so much cleaner. Now it is just a matter of doing deep gravel cleans on a weekly basis (with the pwc) until it is good and clean. I feel like my tank is so dirty sometimes. But in reality, it's the cleanest it has ever been since original set up and New Year's Eve restart/clean/transport in 2015. The edges of my tank, the gravel gets bad along there and the corners. But other than that, it's pretty clean. Today was supposed to be a fasting day. Buuut, I fed them twice with bloodworms since that's good for their digestive system, too. And of course, I watched them eat away.
Attachment 295567

flchamp89 02-26-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megi-lin (Post 3418139)
I did a 50% PWC on my 20 gal. Didn't realize I was doing such a heavy change until I replaced 9 gallons of water (took out 8.) I did a good gravel vac. It was SO much better today after giving bloodworms twice a day for the past 6 days due to chronic constipation problems. The floor was so much cleaner. Now it is just a matter of doing deep gravel cleans on a weekly basis (with the pwc) until it is good and clean. I feel like my tank is so dirty sometimes. But in reality, it's the cleanest it has ever been since original set up and New Year's Eve restart/clean/transport in 2015. The edges of my tank, the gravel gets bad along there and the corners. But other than that, it's pretty clean. Today was supposed to be a fasting day. Buuut, I fed them twice with bloodworms since that's good for their digestive system, too. And of course, I watched them eat away.
Attachment 295567

Looks clean. Good job.

TMaier 02-26-2017 09:01 PM

PWC on the Snail/Shrimp nursery. Canister clean/rinse. Prefilter is doing the job, no shrimp in the canister. Moved things around a bit too.

Barliman 02-26-2017 10:28 PM

Found my first suicide today: I had been wondering why I had only been seeing one otocinclus for a while, finally thought to look behind the aquarium with a flashlight... :shock:

Yep, there he was, and he'd apparently been there for a while, a little dust-bunny mummy. RIP, little Oto.

Why do they always pick the most out of the way, hard to get to places to do this? :rolleyes:

mrscmurray 02-27-2017 03:46 AM

I dropped in some cucumber & broccoli and then fed my millions of guppy fry with liquifry. That's it really!

Betta keeper 02-27-2017 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Discovered that goldfish think melon is ice cream Attachment 295586
Lol!

nirbhao 02-27-2017 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3416758)
Many heaters come with guards now to help protect the sucking, sticky critters and bettas.

I haven't seen anybody rest on the heater in the other tank, even though it's longer and still horizontal. We got a second of that type.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3417899)
Also did some work prepping my new tree for ties. First I ran out of stainless wire and then fishing line....2/3 done. Woohoo trip the the craft/crap store today!!!

I'm so excited to see what you do! I'm sure it will be amazing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3418299)
Discovered that goldfish think melon is ice cream Attachment 295586
Lol!

Awesome!

Attachment 295598

Ready for a very short dry-ish start!

Not sure how to keep the snails in the same tank separated from the puffers without it looking terrible.

Betta keeper 02-27-2017 01:13 PM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

2 Attachment(s)
Perhaps the snails could enhabit a "critter keeper" ?

I bought a pretty terrarium for the Betta to hang out in today, but it looks like an alien coming to abduct the islanders lol!

Good thing I'm never satisfied with my tank, and always happy to make changes:p

I think I'll go back for a couple more and put them on the bottom, surrounded by plants:)Attachment 295599Attachment 295600

54seaweed 02-27-2017 04:09 PM

oh no what I do :D I did it again . ordered another bulk box of coral frags like I did a few years back I must be insane lol , LPS , SPS , Softies I hope I have enough room . just couldn't resist the deal 60+ frags :eek: , think I may be adding a few islands on the sand bed , picts in next day or so , gives me a excuse to start another tank. .
Save
Save

TMaier 02-27-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 3418423)
oh no what I do :D I did it again . ordered another bulk box of coral frags like I did a few years back I must be insane lol , LPS , SPS , Softies I hope I have enough room . just couldn't resist the deal 60+ frags :eek: , think I may be adding a few islands on the sand bed , picts in next day or so , gives me a excuse to start another tank. .
Save
Save

MTS syndrome strikes again!

Autumnsky 02-27-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 3418423)
Save
Save

Golly, you'd hate to run out of things to do Seaweed, me too lol. When will we learn! :popcorn:

I am just gonna start pwc for the week, hitting one or 2 at a time as I can squeeze out the time.

~~~***~~~

Trying to decide if I want to move the 6.6G nano to a 12G Mr. Aqua since I have yet to get the other low iron bottom glass repaired yet, at least it ould be more room. I fear making a move on any thing because of issues in losses.

I have a bag of black Hawaiian sand for a SW tank since about a year now still sitting in my drawer. Maybe time to get it out and get busy. Probably Friday I will have a day off and time to complete and watch for issues I can be there to fix if needed. I would have much more room for the MacroAlgae and a new fish! Hmmm.

Hoobfoob 02-27-2017 09:31 PM

Deconstructed my 20 gallon. I'm turning it into a terrarium. It was time for me to concentrate on the 36 gallon...which is turning out lovely! Did a small pwc, cleaned the gravel a little, and tidied up the plants. Gave the fish their weekly bloodworm feeding - they went nuts as usual! They're so funny.

Autumnsky 02-27-2017 11:14 PM

Found higher nitrates in my 72G, did a canister filter flush and changed about 50G. Better but not great yet, so likely another 1/3rd tonight. Moving a few fish.

Found a odly shaped Starfish in my SW nano which I am gonna guess is a Asterina Star. I haven't ever had one before, but I hear you get them from too much feeding. So now I will need to cut back some. I figure it came in with my RFA order a couple months back and is finally growing up.

Did a test on the new ADA Amazonia Light and found after a few days of sitting it is at .50 ammonia so will do a rinse out tonight and test in a couple more days. I will get to setting up a review thread for it soon. Took pics for that already.

Her is one for comparison -Dark is Amazonia, Brownish tan is Amazonia Light
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture70937.jpg

TMaier 02-27-2017 11:21 PM

What is a canister flush?

92cw12 02-27-2017 11:26 PM

today i got 5 pairs and trios of fancy guppys for my breeding projects, got 5 unidentified rainbow fish, did a video Blog for my youtube fish channel. setup a 55 galon. Finished moving into my new fish room. And i am planning on buying 3 new 10 galons to use as breeding tanks.

Autumnsky 02-28-2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3418678)
What is a canister flush?

A canister flush is a wonderful thing that my Fluval FX-5 can do because it has a valve at the bottom which you can attach a hose to unplug, and open the valve and whoosh goes the water through the filter and helps move the gunk out.

I have only done it a few times because the filter is below grade and has to go up 5 feet to the exit point so it makes the pushing water part out a little trickier than if it was just being hosed out to the yard or a tub. Also I do not have the exact fitting for the tubing and it has taken a few times of using it to get it right, and not spill any water.

So far now, have done 3 changes and not spilled any water at all from that valve fitting. Basically it is a little pliable and I just jam the python hose fitting onto it. Was scared the pressure would blow it off, but after a couple time practicing with a second person to make sure one held it and one watched to make sure the water was going where it was supposed to - Victory! (haha, long answer for a short question)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92cw12 (Post 3418681)
today i got 5 pairs and trios of fancy guppys for my breeding projects, got 5 unidentified rainbow fish, did a video Blog for my youtube fish channel. setup a 55 galon. Finished moving into my new fish room. And i am planning on buying 3 new 10 galons to use as breeding tanks.

Congrats on a really busy day!

~~~~

Tonight was able to give the little Red Cherry Shrimp in the planted bowl some new plants and a fresh clean on their substrate and a 2/3 pwc. Removes some pale plants and added Susswasswertang. There are 6 - 2 are really dark, one is really almost tan. 3 pinkish-red.

Did the extra pwc 50% on the 72G and after retesting a couple hours after the last change only had 10 nitrates. Very happy indeed.

Need to do a test for the 46G tonight and will do a pwc tomorrow for that tank so I can move over some fish.

Also noticed my female Rio Xtappa Swordtail, is medium close to giving birth, so maybe gonna move her over to the Spec V.

Pwc on the TT Shrimp tank 30%.

Good days work, happy to get those things done, almost caught up again.

54seaweed 02-28-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3418708)
A canister flush is a wonderful thing that my Fluval FX-5 can do because it has a valve at the bottom which you can attach a hose to unplug, and open the valve and whoosh goes the water through the filter and helps move the gunk out.

I have only done it a few times because the filter is below grade and has to go up 5 feet to the exit point so it makes the pushing water part out a little trickier than if it was just being hosed out to the yard or a tub. Also I do not have the exact fitting for the tubing and it has taken a few times of using it to get it right, and not spill any water.

So far now, have done 3 changes and not spilled any water at all from that valve fitting. Basically it is a little pliable and I just jam the python hose fitting onto it. Was scared the pressure would blow it off, but after a couple time practicing with a second person to make sure one held it and one watched to make sure the water was going where it was supposed to - Victory! (haha, long answer for a short question)

Congrats on a really busy day!

~~~~

Tonight was able to give the little Red Cherry Shrimp in the planted bowl some new plants and a fresh clean on their substrate and a 2/3 pwc. Removes some pale plants and added Susswasswertang. There are 6 - 2 are really dark, one is really almost tan. 3 pinkish-red.

Did the extra pwc 50% on the 72G and after retesting a couple hours after the last change only had 10 nitrates. Very happy indeed.

Need to do a test for the 46G tonight and will do a pwc tomorrow for that tank so I can move over some fish.

Also noticed my female Rio Xtappa Swordtail, is medium close to giving birth, so maybe gonna move her over to the Spec V.

Pwc on the TT Shrimp tank 30%.

Good days work, happy to get those things done, almost caught up again.

That almost sounds like a sand filter for a pool when you back wash ,

I'm working my way slowly to get water changes done , just been a couch potato today , frags come on thurs so I need to get this done. not looking forward to next fri that is when my sump is due for it's full service cleaning cleaning the pumps and stuff and what ever crud I find , replacing all hoses adding ball cocks one thing I forgot when I first built it . looks like my main skimmer pump is on it's last leg so prob replace that too. good time to figure out why my overflow don't hold it's prim during power outages I have it on a remote switch so it don't start pumping when power comes back on or it overflows the tank , been thee done that not fun , a lot of stuff to do in the next week

jeffruth 02-28-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 3418838)
...good time to figure out why my overflow don't hold it's prim during power outages I have it on a remote switch so it don't start pumping when power comes back on or it overflows the tank , been thee done that not fun , a lot of stuff to do in the next week

I can show you a very easy float switch wire diagram that prevents the tank from overflowing if the overflow does not start back up. I have it on my tank. It has saved my floor on a number of occasions

Check out my thread here. It shows the float switch

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...mp-351469.html

Although it sounds like you have this already...

Autumnsky 02-28-2017 06:50 PM

As I was walking out the door today for work I fed the fish and saw a tiny Albino BN Pleco fry on the glass, moving around everywhere sucking on the glass. Was very excited that they spawned successfully but do not know if I will ever see it again, (added a cave which they didn't use this time) not long ago and also hadn't seen the big bushy face male only for a minute in the mast 6 weeks maybe, now I know why, he was guarding his eggs.

So proud to be a Pleco grandma. I wasn't able to take the time to catch it, but if I see that one or more of them I will (try to) capture it and move it.

Did 6 pwc and have 2 left.

Also saw one more Asterina Starfish. If I see more of those I will move them to the macroalgae vase tank, I think 2 would be enough there.

Spent a little time trying to figure out if I could move my 12 Mr. Aqua to the SW nano tank stand and it is about a half inch so 1/4" on each side to wide. Might move off the Edge soon and see how bad that difference in size makes it look. It might be fine.

The pics I took of the tiny Pleco fry was blurry and not good pic :(.

Oh and I think the big pwc's caused the 2 of the 3 Koi Angels to spawn. :eek: Mad doggin all the fish.

Betta keeper 02-28-2017 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After being so excited yesterday to finally find ghost shrimp, it turns out they may have been close cousins...these are definitely NOT peaceful

Today I set up a hospital tank for Betta, who's tail was shredded by the "ghost shrimp "

Tore my tank apart so that my teen and I could find and can catch them before they harm the pleco

Currently acclimating them to the goldfish tank, and adding lots of hiding places. I'll put them in the breeder box and hope they have enough sense to stay there until I get a critter keeper
This should help if they escape Attachment 295690I checked and the basket is a safe plastic, so they have a "safe space " if they climb out

54seaweed 02-28-2017 07:57 PM

well I found the problem on the overflow it's burned out dead kaput , since I got to go out and buy a new pump for my main skimmer might as well get a new lift pump. how I never noticed it was dead I don't know . but that's next weeks job ,

Barliman 02-28-2017 09:26 PM

Switched the lighting on my 20-long to four-on four-off four-on to see if that helps with algae control.

Autumnsky 02-28-2017 11:46 PM

Put away a cart load worth of stuff I had laying around from the fish work, foods, nets dead plant material on a paper towel I picked out of the tank, etc. Messy Marvin. Wiped off all the tank stands and glass and tops.

Dumped the bucket of shrimp substrate from the previous tank into the 12G Mr. Aqua tank and plants mainly so I can be sure they are getting enough light, moved the plexi top back to it, it is rimless so it has acrylic brackets to hold the top and light sets on that.

There are 10 containers- /tanks, including a bucket and a bowl which have plants, snails, fish and /or shrimp...SW and FW. Not including the bucket of substrate, no living creatures in it though. But still having to change its water every few days.

There are only supposed to be 4 yet somehow they keep multiplying instead of reducing. This is the reason I have been feeling swamped with tank chores.

TOO MANY for me right now.

Found a "Brittle" Starfish which has MUCH longer arms than any of my other ones ever did, so guessing it is a Serpent Starfish which is growing up. I am planing to try to move it to my MacroAglae Vase tank if I can capture it. I had company over at dinner and couldn't take the time to get it out right then. :eek:

Betta keeper 03-01-2017 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a lid for my Betta hospital tank Attachment 295697its a little saggy but it should keep the cats out unless they step on it

Thinking of getting a 2-3gallon setup for the month we will need to leave him in for healing....this second hand ten is a bit risky if the cats realize that it doesn't have a real lid.....and someone ate the last minnow I qt'd without a real lid[emoji33]

Autumnsky 03-01-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3418947)
Made a lid for my Betta hospital tank Attachment 295697its a little saggy but it should keep the cats out unless they step on it

Thinking of getting a 2-3gallon setup for the month we will need to leave him in for healing....this second hand ten is a bit risky if the cats realize that it doesn't have a real lid.....and someone ate the last minnow I qt'd without a real lid[emoji33]

Nice. I got a lid a guy made with plexi for around $5. from the local big box store (came with my rimless tank). He dremel cut the spaces for the hob and airlines and a hole in the top with a drill.

Betta keeper 03-01-2017 12:59 AM

My dad could probably do that but I don't have the tools

Too bad he's not closer

Autumnsky 03-01-2017 01:01 AM

Cats are sneaky.

TMaier 03-01-2017 09:18 AM

It's totally worth getting your paw wet for fresh sushi.

megi-lin 03-01-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3418143)
Looks clean. Good job.

Thank you! I scrubbed it down the other week. Working hard to get it tip top.

e.mmareese 03-01-2017 06:30 PM

Added a ropefish and a rainbow shark

Autumnsky 03-01-2017 09:31 PM

Doing a pwc and didn't get around to the filter clean so doing that too, on the 46G so I can move over a couple fish out of the 72G.

Angelfish are getting even more aggressive, from sparring stances and dancing back and forth to biting it seems. Still undecided on moving the female out or a male and female pair over. Can't see anyeggs but they sure are protecting the back area, and the eggs could be behind the DW.

The female pretty much ignores both of them. Thinking now maybe get her out of there, and do a big pwc again in the next day or 2 to get rid of /dilute the females scent. If the males still can't get along I will move one of them.

Kind of amused, watching the big Opaline Gourami having enough of their feuding and chasing them away from his corner where he picks food out of the floating Wisteria.

54seaweed 03-01-2017 10:03 PM

super large water change on my 90g don't know what I touched but my lift pump started back up but still getting new one , awaiting the morning delivery of my coral.
also did water change on other tank yesterday

Betta keeper 03-01-2017 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some more plants

Soon I'll be dense enough to add harlequins[emoji4]Attachment 295742

Maybe a little more java or Anubis for leaf cover.....and a log for the pleco

They have new stock in at the lfs, Ill just leave them there long enough to see if they get ich or anything first....I watched him add paraguard as a precaution while I was there so that's one less thing to worry about when I buy...

Autumnsky 03-02-2017 12:35 AM

Played musical fish after the AC 110 disgusting filter clean and pwc.

Did a pwc of 95% on the Spec V.

Added a pregnant Swordtail to the Spec V while I think over whether or not I want to try and save the babies.

I moved the big Opaline Gourami and the female Koi Angel over to the 46G.

Also found some male Green Lantern Platy with the females, and some females with the males. Separated them. Caught all the males from the 72G and moved them into the 12G. Temporary. I plan to bring a bag of them to the auction, at least 6.

Found the big Spotted Raphael Catfish wedged in a lava rock in the 72G. I am going to try and and pull it up and out of the tank and move it over to the 46G. She is huge and eats my Neons so I would love for her to be in the other tank!!!

This will relieve the the excess bioload from the 72G. The 72G already looksmore peaceful.

So happy to move them finally!

I have a great pair of Platy out of the M & F groups, and they're probably headed to the fish show on Friday, and see if they will place in the open show.

Betta keeper 03-03-2017 06:50 PM

Took back my mondo grass, which it turns out is not aquatic

Got 9harlequins, driftwood and Anubis for 34bucks

flchamp89 03-03-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3419761)
Took back my mondo grass, which it turns out is not aquatic

Got 9harlequins, driftwood and Anubis for 34bucks

Makes a great border around flower beds.

Betta keeper 03-03-2017 06:53 PM

If I had more, I would have considered that but I only got 5 bits

TMaier 03-03-2017 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added kaleidoscope agate today. And some seaglass. Just waiting for Ursula's arrival. Attachment 295806

Autumnsky 03-04-2017 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3419784)
Added kaleidoscope agate today. And some seaglass. Just waiting for Ursula's arrival. Attachment 295806

I'll go with pretty rocks any day, scary looking sea witch not too sure :lol:

~~~~
Went to the CAS meeting and had a good time. Speaker was in charge of the hosting of the Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention being held here in Denver. BIG in planted tanks.

Missed out on some nice Widelov Java Fern a couple rounds on the mini auction. And a couple other things like a "Koi" Betta female, and a very nice big Oranda Orange and White Goldfish. She was bought by someone with a better home for her though and was happy she will be in a 135G. And missed a nice bright blue green Mushroom for my SW tank. Usually the SW stuff goes for $2-4 because no one wants it. It went to $16. and that was too much for me. Afterwards, the person who donated it said he'd make sure I get a mushroom. :thumb:

What I did get was a big bag of Marsilea. Shared half of it with my friend and brought home the rest and added ahandful to a few stems into 4 different tanks so I can see which tank it might like best, I have previously killed off the couple stems I had had.

Our big auction is on April 1st. Will be volunteering for that like usual.

Also was asked to and will help out at the Aquatic Gardeners convention (they will have the plant auction to end plant auctions there, world class suppliers and everything they bring to the show is for sale at the end!!) . I am really jazzed up about that, drooling really, it is going to be outstanding!

Fed all the fish and told them they are gonna get some new plant friends soon.

Almost considering CO2, rather - I guess, considering C02, almost. Thinking of the items and costs. Heard I can get a decent 2 stage regulator for around $60 (used?), will need to check on that from the person who said it for more details like where. Already have the big size container for the C02, I think, will work.

Why not go crazy here.

TMaier 03-04-2017 01:55 PM

You are a very busy lady. The convention sounds like fun work.

And as to Ursula, I'm pretty sure she has an amazing backstory and ultimate redemption just like Malificent. I wish Disney would get around to that movie.

TMaier 03-04-2017 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ursula arrived! And the shrimp love her. Attachment 295871

megi-lin 03-04-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3420034)
Ursula arrived! And the shrimp love her. Attachment 295871

I love your tank and your new Ursula!

Barliman 03-04-2017 10:43 PM

Ordered a new light for the 10g, a Finnex Stingray. While the current light (your basic Marineland LED) is good for tanks with no plants, the PAR value is just too low to get even low-light plants to grow steadily. So, it gets changed.

Meanwhile, a change I made last weekend, instituting a 4-4-4 light period on the 20-long, seems to already be showing results: the dread green fuzz algae has almost wholly vanished from my alternanthera, which is starting to recover. Fingers crossed!

TMaier 03-04-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megi-lin (Post 3420036)
I love your tank and your new Ursula!

Thanks. I'm 53 going on 5. Lol

Autumnsky 03-05-2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3420056)

;)
The work of the conventions (haven't done a fish one yet) and auctions is the most fun work!!!

Watched my fish and critters for awhile.

I think my Gourami is swimming strangely. All other fish in the tank look/swim fine. Maybe a water test is in order.

Probably gonna do a pwc on the SW nano, and the
Shrimp tank and the 46G if there is a water issue.

All the DW is soaking in that 46G tank where the Gourami is, covering a large part of the surface, I took out one piece to make sure there was open room for surface breathing but maybe it is stressed out about it limited available area???

Off to check the water.

Autumnsky 03-05-2017 04:50 AM

Nitrates were creeping up and were around 60ppm in the 46G and did a 15G pwc and vac up all the muck at the bottom of the bare bottom glass and 50 ppm in the 72G, so I did 10G pwc vacing the substrate.

Here is the thread link for the substrate ADA Amazonia Light "review/experience"
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post3420110

Found the Orange Eye Orange Tiger sitting at the top of the DW, took a pic but the filter water was rippling and tried to get a close up but it came out awfully. You can see the rounded circles are the orange eyes. (kinda, :/)
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture70943.jpg

Pwc on the 12G Edge and the TT shrimp tank.

flchamp89 03-05-2017 04:57 AM

Good looking shrimp. I so want different colors lol.

Autumnsky 03-05-2017 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420113)
Good looking shrimp. I so want different colors lol.

It is so addictive. I again had to (mentally, lol) hold my arm down at the mini auction last night as there were Carbon Rili shrimp with a bit of blue to them.

flchamp89 03-05-2017 05:14 AM

Its like im on mars. All yall with lfs, clubs, auctions lol. Jealous

flchamp89 03-05-2017 11:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Im done got my maintenance done. Propagated helferi from last week has already split. One of my favorites. Pitched some minima. Added a little more pothos. Stopped trimming rotala I like the side shoots. Parva FINALLY going good. Increased micro doseage. Attachment 295884Attachment 295885Attachment 295886

Fresh2o 03-05-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420124)
Its like im on mars. All yall with lfs, clubs, auctions lol. Jealous

I am pretty fortunate to have a few local fish clubs and one plant society in the area. Got to meet Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd) at one of the meetings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420172)
I shoots. Parva FINALLY going good. Increased micro doseage. ]

Nice looking stand of parva. I tried twice with that plant: first time not enough light, second time sold it off before it go going.

flchamp89 03-05-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3420189)
I am pretty fortunate to have a few local fish clubs and one plant society in the area. Got to meet Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd) at one of the meetings.

Nice looking stand of parva. I tried twice with that plant: first time not enough light, second time sold it off before it go going.

I dont get it. It grows well in my low par. Im studying water gh/kh vs plants. I think it likes my hard water.

megi-lin 03-05-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3420056)

Lol! Never grow up!

flchamp89 03-05-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megi-lin (Post 3420206)
Lol! Never grow up!

I feel better now lol. 46

TMaier 03-05-2017 02:20 PM

We're in good company. [emoji39]

megi-lin 03-05-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420207)
I feel better now lol. 46

I'm 24 but always getting older! It's all in how you look at things.

flchamp89 03-05-2017 02:38 PM

I look at it as ......I hurt lol

TMaier 03-05-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420218)
I look at it as ......I hurt lol

Dang buckets of water get heavier every year.

guppygourami 03-05-2017 03:20 PM

50PWC on my betta's tank. He looks much happier with his new moss. Tested the main and betta tanks and the pH levels are too high in both. Really happy though b/c my main tank's nitrate level is finally ~40ppm. Woohoo! Also thinking of setting up the 10G but not too sure as to what I'll put in there.

megi-lin 03-05-2017 04:19 PM

50% PWC on my 20 gal. Also have all the parts a good scrub in the tub. What a workout! I may go get more fish soon, well today. I have Aquarium fever! I want to plant my tank and add more fish.

54seaweed 03-05-2017 05:09 PM

playing detective trying to figure out who the culprit is eating complete zoa colony's , who ever it is got 2 in the last 2 nights ,

Autumnsky 03-05-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 3420270)
playing detective trying to figure out who the culprit is eating complete zoa colony's , who ever it is got 2 in the last 2 nights ,

You need a field /game camera!

Fed my pom pom Crab in the SW nano, going to do a 25% pwc in a little while.

Need to post the Platy locally or see if a local shop would want to take them and give me credit towards something else. I am gonna look at which ones colorations are may favs and keep 6 out of ~20.

flchamp89 03-05-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3420241)
Dang buckets of water get heavier every year.

There a reason I have a 10g these day. I traded buckets for milk jugs lol

aseradyn 03-05-2017 09:25 PM

Today I played musical fish.

I want to play with dirt in a tank, which means getting the betta out of the 10, at least temporarily. So I moved the flame tetras and the peacock gudgeons* out of the 29 into the 75, and moved the betta from the 10 to the 29. The corys got to just chill.

* Well, 4 out of 5. I haven't been able to catch #5; she's quick, and doesn't fall for my trap! I'll try again tomorrow.

Then I gave the 29 a major haircut. I pulled out about half of the bacopa to give the rotala some more breathing room. I cut the wisteria waaaay back. I pulled out handfuls of java moss and cladophora. And, just for good measure, I trimmed a little off the top of the pellia. Gave the filter on that tank a good cleaning; among other things, I removed a sponge that clogs up super fast and added more little bio-ball thingies... cleaned out the inside of the spray bar as long as everything was stopped. I have water movement again :D

A few days before:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/233972/P2260046.jpg

Just now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...305_190030.jpg

flchamp89 03-05-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseradyn (Post 3420318)
Today I played musical fish.

I want to play with dirt in a tank, which means getting the betta out of the 10, at least temporarily. So I moved the flame tetras and the peacock gudgeons* out of the 29 into the 75, and moved the betta from the 10 to the 29. The corys got to just chill.

* Well, 4 out of 5. I haven't been able to catch #5; she's quick, and doesn't fall for my trap! I'll try again tomorrow.

Then I gave the 29 a major haircut. I pulled out about half of the bacopa to give the rotala some more breathing room. I cut the wisteria waaaay back. I pulled out handfuls of java moss and cladophora. And, just for good measure, I trimmed a little off the top of the pellia. Gave the filter on that tank a good cleaning; among other things, I removed a sponge that clogs up super fast and added more little bio-ball thingies... cleaned out the inside of the spray bar as long as everything was stopped. I have water movement again :D

A few days before:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/233972/P2260046.jpg

Just now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...305_190030.jpg

Looks good. Betta will love all the room.

aseradyn 03-05-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420319)
Looks good. Betta will love all the room.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think he will. This is the tank he was in when I first got him, but he got ornery with the tetras, so I set him up in the 10. It was ... okay, but not my favorite. This'll probably just be my betta tank from now on. I think I'm going to go with shrimp and fancy snails in the 10, once I get it settled. I feel like it's a bit small for fish.

TMaier 03-05-2017 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Set up the Baby Biorb. 4gallon. Did some crazy under sand sponges to see if I can do this with sand instead of gravel. Attachment 295913

Ramshorn snails and plant starts to keep things rolling. These were all in jars for the past few months with the sand to prepare. Got this tank for $25 used back in November and finally took a minute to set it up and buff the scratches.

Barliman 03-06-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3420280)
There a reason I have a 10g these day. I traded buckets for milk jugs lol

I have four gallon-jugs under my stand for top-offs and water changes on the 10 and 20-long. Way easier than prepping a bucket. :D

Autumnsky 03-07-2017 12:16 AM

Moving things around again

Got a little progress made today.

12G Edge - Removed Platys and plants, stones, DW and the substrate rinsed, rinsed tank

12G Mr Aqua - Moved all plants, stones and DW, rinsed and moved all the substrate over to the 12G Edge.

This is the substrate for shrimp Up Aqua Sand and it has been used by me previously for the Tangerine Tiger Shrimp.

Refilling the 12G Edge adding a bunch of the rocks and stones and DW to keep the light on and keep the substrate active and the biofilm growing.

So what did I do with the 12G MR Aqua???

I added the Hawaiian Aragonite Saltwater CaribSea sand with live bacteria. 2 Saltwater stones I used before and I had kept in the drawer waiting to set up the larger Nano.

Dug out a 30 AC filter, added a filter pad and also a pouch of ammonia buster from Fluval added to the container.

Then decided to add some Chaeto. BUT it was full of little Serpent/Brittle Stars and I ended up moving at least 8 of them to the MacroAlgae vase/tank.

Lookie here for the little guys!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture70956.jpg

Autumnsky 03-10-2017 02:06 AM

New nano pic it is now nice and clear
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture70965.jpg

I have this little guy in the 5G - Spec V Dwarf Mexican Crayfish 1 inch
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture70969.jpg

7 Sundadanio Axelrodi now in the 12G Edge with a few handfuls of plants and a DW and the Cholla with the Buce.

Oh yeah, and 3 Glass Catfish to go with the other 2 in the 72G after QT.

The Sundadanios are colored up nicely and are glowing. It seems there are a bunch of females and maybe 3 males. But maybe one is a green not a blue. Still very pretty.

Scrubbed the algae off of the front of the SW 6.6G and noticed that the fancy rock flower anemone moved about 6 inches to a less flow area, I reduced the flow to the rest of the tank.

Took care of the Vinegar Eels, divided the main culture into 3 and had one previous one which seemed to be not viable. But did not have a magnifying glass to look that closely.

Added fresh apple slices to all bottles and added new vinegar. I need to find a way to clean the bottle of old apple slices. Used all the Bragg's vinegar I had left, need a new bottle tomorrow.

Betta keeper 03-10-2017 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tiny shrimp tank

Attachment 296056

I'm thinking tiny daily water changes with water from the main tank[emoji848]

It holds the last two ghosts that I couldn't move out before, when I realized that they like to snack on fish-tails... the others reside in the goldfish tank, with plenty of cover. They occasionally pinch a too-curious monster lol

Getting ready for another water change...adding in so many harlequins at once damaged my balance and my nitrite spiked, costing me one harlequin yesterday

Betta could use more clean water too, and I may as well make a day of it and do the '38 while I have everything out

Betta's tail looks like it's recovering well from the shrimp snacking on it....I'll put him back into the big tank in another week or so. He currently spends his days alternating between menacing the heater and making nests.....not much to do alone in a ten g stuffed in a corner on a cat tower lol. Usually he's into all sorts of trouble in the 29:p

Edit: Ugh spikes all over the place:/

Don't know what's up but it's good that I decided to w/c today

I only cleaned house three days ago, but I had nitrates up to 20ppm(my normal is 5-10) in the Betta tank, and ammonia and nitrates in my main tank too. Didn't take the time to test goldfish.....they're goldfish...there will be ammonia lol. Better just to clean up and ask questions later [emoji6]
I'm happy to say that the shrimp are still glaring at me during water changes...how dare I move the rock he's hiding behind lol!

TMaier 03-10-2017 03:33 PM

Moved the 15L Baby Biorb into my office from the garage. Added a few more plants. Ramshorn snails are doing just fine in there.

Took the yellowish Anubias out of my 29G. Potassium didn't seem to help and I really don't have a shady spot for it in there so back into the 30L Biorb.

Added another heater to the 30L Biorb to bring the temp up to 81+ hoping Red, my Betta will show some improvement.

Tomorrow is Nursery day....

Betta keeper 03-10-2017 03:37 PM

Is Anubis a low light plant then? I just got 3, and didn't know that

TMaier 03-10-2017 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 4 different kinds of Anubias and this is the only one with issues. Attachment 296081
I do not know the exact species. Congensis I think.The leaves are narrowed and a little over 2"long.

It was in the biorb and I moved it into higher light. It might have been ok if it had started there?

nirbhao 03-10-2017 11:02 PM

I got nice new aquascaping tools.... And I'm out of town until Sunday. It's hard being away from the critters!

Fresh2o 03-10-2017 11:06 PM

Fed zucchini to the RCS and neon yellows. One of the latter is now berried! https://i.imgur.com/lC4bpOC.jpg
Water changes this weekend.
Ordered 30# of black mountain seiryu stone. Will be here on Monday.

Autumnsky 03-11-2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3421636)
Fed zucchini to the RCS and neon yellows. One of the latter is now berried! https://i.imgur.com/lC4bpOC.jpg

Nice!!! Good looking mama shrimp too.

TMaier 03-11-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3421636)

Woohoo!!! It's fun watching them fan those eggs.

Fresh2o 03-11-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3421700)
Woohoo!!! It's fun watching them fan those eggs.

Actually, there are two berried females plus two saddled.
Correction: I ordered 20, not 30 lbs of black mountain seiryu stone.

TMaier 03-11-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3421712)
Actually, there are two berried females plus two saddled.
Correction: I ordered 20, not 30 lbs of black mountain seiryu stone.

I just can't buy rock online. I have to touch them. Spin them around a scrutinize them. I wander around the local building material/landscaping supply stores. Armed with my smartphone to research mineral content of the ones I like.

However I did buy that Kaleidoscope Jasper Agate online for the nursery. We don't have anywhere local that carries cut rock that is rough or polished.

I hope they arrive and you are thrilled with them.

nemesisil 03-11-2017 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 296108
Pepper and Righteye's new home

Fresh2o 03-11-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3421715)
I just can't buy rock online...

That's because I live dangerously (said the person who has purchased fish only five times in the last five years, QTs everything 1-2 weeks minimum, and does hour long drip acclimations).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3421715)
...I hope they arrive and you are thrilled with them.

I hope so as well. I'll post a review on my Planted tank thread.

Betta keeper 03-11-2017 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugh! So disappointed [emoji17]

I spent hours yesterday doing water changes in all the tanks, only to find this today Attachment 296132

.25/.25/10
Guess what I'm doing again today?

flchamp89 03-12-2017 12:16 PM

H2o2 some clado in spec iii with 50 pwc. 75 pwc on 10g. Big trim on the java today.

Betta keeper 03-12-2017 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got to the lfs and picked up fungal meds

Turned my water green...kids love it lol

Betta is more than happy to look after the expensive plants and inverts Attachment 296173
I left anything that was fluffy in the tank to withstand treatment

TMaier 03-12-2017 07:49 PM

PWC and vacuum on the nursery tank. Nail biter though with all those shrimplettes bobbing around.

Betta keeper 03-12-2017 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made this craft I saw online

It's meant to be a Betta tank but I don't think it could hold anything bigger than a couple of shrimp or a plant Attachment 296201
A Betta wouldn't be able to turn around, let alone live for long [emoji33]

Barliman 03-12-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3421778)
Ugh! So disappointed [emoji17]

I spent hours yesterday doing water changes in all the tanks, only to find this today Attachment 296132

.25/.25/10
Guess what I'm doing again today?

I know I've read somewhere that a .25 reading in ammonia could be an artifact of Prime dosing.

TMaier 03-12-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3422078)

It's meant to be a Betta tank but I don't think it could hold anything bigger than a couple of shrimp or a plant Attachment 296201

I used to keep plants and pink ramshorn snails in a vase on the table. Fun to watch.

mhenry 03-12-2017 11:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got 2 mollies male and female and got gold gourmi Attachment 296217Attachment 296218

Autumnsky 03-13-2017 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3422053)
PWC and vacuum on the nursery tank. Nail biter though with all those shrimplettes bobbing around.

Work out alright???

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3422078)

Cute and fun to make one!

Yeah, Planted Bowl that size not too good for a Betta, poor thing if it were to contain a Betta, as someone might do from the craft recommendations. Walmart has a nice 3G container which is around $10-12 like a round old fashioned canister. Like this shape
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture55171.jpg

I've been eyeing the type jar which has a stand, looks like a Mason jar and you keep lemonade or ice tea in to serve. For a planted "bowl" for shrimp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhenry (Post 3422139)
I got 2 mollies male and female and got gold gourami Attachment 296217Attachment 296218

If that Gourami doesn't get yellow, you got a Opaline Gourami.

~~~~~

Watched the Cherry shrimp in their planted bowl chasing each other around in circles like a race track...must be mating time.

Here is a fun (older) thread about planted bowls with lots of nice pics
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ls-256693.html

Yesterday, tried to buy someones Cardinal School of about 50 but they were already sold.

TMaier 03-13-2017 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3422158)
Work out alright???.

I think so. I put the food in the back and swished around the front with my fingers slowly trying to get everyone to leave. They landed on me. Fearless critters.

I painstaking examined the water and found one I have vacuumed up. About the size of a mosquito larvae. I put him back in the tank.

Autumnsky 03-13-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3422160)
I think so. I put the food in the back and swished around the front with my fingers slowly trying to get everyone to leave. They landed on me. Fearless critters.

I painstaking examined the water and found one I have vacuumed up. About the size of a mosquito larvae. I put him back in the tank.

Yay!!! Good job! Funny how they like to swarm around ones hand.

Barliman 03-13-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3422162)
Yay!!! Good job! Funny how they like to swarm around ones hand.

Sometimes when I'm working on my tank, an amano will swim over to my hand and start picking. That isn't quite what I had in mind when "feeding" them. :eek: :lol:

TMaier 03-13-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3422308)
Sometimes when I'm working on my tank, an amano will swim over to my hand and start picking. That isn't quite what I had in mind when "feeding" them. :eek: :lol:

Oh my! I haven't had that happen yet. Just the little Red Cherry landings I can barely feel.

I bet you can feel the Amano picking away at your tasty human flesh.

jeffruth 03-13-2017 06:16 PM

Added 6 Otocinclus to the tank to help with my algae that is growing on all of my rocks.

Also found one of my Rams in my filter sock dead. Not sure if it died first or after in spent some time in the filter sock. I added some quilting mesh to the wier to prevent the fish from going into the sock. I quite often have had to remove fish/shrimp for the filter sock.

nirbhao 03-13-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3422308)

Guppies will try to eat my freckles.

Betta keeper 03-13-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3422109)
I know I've read somewhere that a .25 reading in ammonia could be an artifact of Prime dosing.

Really? I'm relieved to hear that

I think I will run before/after tests next time I water change and see how they pull out....I usually only do before unless I'm doing a series of them to bring down a stat I don't like.

nirbhao 03-13-2017 11:27 PM

Moved all of the guppy fry to the 10 gallon. I'm going to the fish nerd place tomorrow and asking the owner to order us some psuegomugil rainbow fish.

I'm ready for this tank to have the fish we choose to stock, instead of being overrun by prolific poopers we didn't put there. Ugh. Guppies.

Hopefully we'll be able to pick up a couple of kuhli loaches to round out the shoal and black worms for the puffers.

I need some crushed coral, too, I guess. Even with a cuttlebone, having coral skeletons in the tank, and using a hardness booster, the pH still drops out with the CO2. It's either that or add baking soda with each water change.