Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 03-27-2017 04:09 PM

That sounds like good useful chart to see. Mine was an experiment pond, why so small.

Betta keeper 03-27-2017 06:50 PM

I'd love to see it too

I know dad hates tending the tank, and if it were ok he would probably leave them outside

mattsfish 03-27-2017 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added sand to my 75. Attachment 296913

UntimelyLord 03-27-2017 07:45 PM

Today I set up the hospital tank for a fish with an eye injury. No one told me how much more difficult it would be to catch a fish in a fully planted tank ha ha. Been trying to treat the eye injury with lots of water changes but every time it seemed to be healing up it would get all red and puffy around the eye again overnight. I think the fish is poking it on the spiderwood! So I moved him to the hospital tank with just a soft silk plant for cover. I think this will help but may use some epsom salts as well. I hope that once the injury is fully healed the fish will be less likely to re-injure it.

flchamp89 03-27-2017 07:47 PM

Got my new lights and skimmer. Waiting on other stuff. I think tomorrow I should get sand.

nirbhao 03-27-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3426499)
If you look up Turquoise Discus I would say that seems the closest. The background is a red color and the lines that are glowing so much in the moon pics are the actually that beautiful turquoise, but not as glowing.

Have you forgotten the dress!?

TMaier 03-27-2017 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fish suicide today. I found him dried up on top when I went to feed. How in the heck did he get out of that hole? Standard paper clip there to show the scale. Attachment 296927

Autumnsky 03-27-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirbhao (Post 3426661)
Have you forgotten the dress!?

Haha, already went back to review spelling on so many things, think faster than I keyboard that's for sure!! And seems I have some sticky keys that don't always work.

Local hobbyist came over to see the Swordfish Trio. Female had a spot on her head, I maybe bumped her or she banged her head on the lid. Treating that with some salt, and maybe some meds, check tomorrow evening. 100% new water for them. With StressCoat.

Added some media to the 72G in the tank where the out flow is, The 12 x 4" full bag of Matrix and Fluval rings then one API AmmoCarb bag full in the same size bag placed under the out flow until I get more Prime Tomorrow and do the canister clean out.

Doing an additional check on the water tonight.

Barliman 03-27-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3425526)
So true! That last female fish which had been swimming all around the front of the tank looking for its friends for a couple hours, disappered instantly when I walked over to the tank to make another attempt that night before bed. :lol:

Two weekends ago I "harvested" ten adult platys from my 20-long and took them to the fish store. One of the females who remained behind still hides when I take the lid off the tank, certain that the "net monster" has come back. :eek:

Autumnsky 03-28-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3426745)
Two weekends ago I "harvested" ten adult platys from my 20-long and took them to the fish store. One of the females who remained behind still hides when I take the lid off the tank, certain that the "net monster" has come back. :eek:

And somebody decided fish don't have a memory, yeah right!

So I found that Swordtail which bonked her head on the lid jumping pretty hard while I was lifting her out in the net, got a red spot on it so I added some salt.

Then after returning the fish I needed a better heater, so switched the heater then came back an hour later noticing I didn't put the lid on. Then found a female fish on the plastic bag :facepalm: put her in and she swam around. Those fish love to jump!

KingKoopa512 03-28-2017 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3426657)
Got my new lights and skimmer. Waiting on other stuff. I think tomorrow I should get sand.

Nice what lights and skimmer

brendenscott 03-28-2017 01:17 AM

Changed co2 drop checker solution. Cleaned HOB sponge as it doing its job started kicking up the lid letting me know it was time to clean.

flchamp89 03-28-2017 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 (Post 3426801)
Nice what lights and skimmer

24/7 and reef octopus 80

nirbhao 03-28-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3426745)

I've made a point of just dropping the net in the water when I'm not removing fish, like during feeding and adjusting plants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3426784)
And somebody decided fish don't have a memory, yeah right!

The most recent research points to goldfish having memories of at least 30 days. I think the short memory thing is a lie we told ourselves to justify the small bowl b

flchamp89 03-28-2017 07:33 AM

Net monster.....that funny. Some fish are smarter than we think im sure.

flchamp89 03-28-2017 03:49 PM

Got my koralia and sand today. Test kit tomorrow. So friday I probably order my rock.

brendenscott 03-28-2017 03:51 PM

Calibrating my API nitrate test kit as we speak.

nemesisil 03-28-2017 05:41 PM

Watched my wife move a coral frag right side up, had Chemo this morning

Barliman 03-28-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirbhao (Post 3426877)
I've made a point of just dropping the net in the water when I'm not removing fish, like during feeding and adjusting plants.

I've thought about doing something like that at "harvest time": put the net in the water and leave it there for 20-30 minutes, so they get accustomed to it.

Then spring the trap... :bat:

KingKoopa512 03-28-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3427115)
I've thought about doing something like that at "harvest time": put the net in the water and leave it there for 20-30 minutes, so they get accustomed to it.

Then spring the trap... :bat:

Lol iv done that and been successful less than a handful of times lol fish are smart 🐠

brendenscott 03-28-2017 07:44 PM

Ended having to do a 60% WC due to high nitrates. All good now. Was a busy day.

Autumnsky 03-29-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesisil (Post 3427106)
Watched my wife move a coral frag right side up, had Chemo this morning

Need some putty?? Nice that she can help out, much easier to look at the tank if something isn't up side down!!! Hope you get stronger and better, I will be praying for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendenscott (Post 3427150)
Ended having to do a 60% WC due to high nitrates. All good now. Was a busy day.

Worth the extra work to keep the fish in the safe zone, good thing you realized it, our day to day life can be pretty tiring, even without giant pwc's!!!

Mentioning the female Swordtail jumper yesterday that I saved... found the male, a jumper previously found that time in the plastic bag, this time not so lucky...8 feet away!!! from a half filled 5G bucket. I never looked that far away from the bucket. :( Can't believe he jumped that far!!!

He was the mean one anyway so although he was beautiful, and it is too bad and sad. I will not be missing him biting at my other Angelfish's eye. The Angel is still a little wounded from that incident, with a damaged eye.

Trimmed a potted Dwarf Baby tears to try and get more starts as I used 2 other parts of it to be in potted vases as fairy plants (no real fairies, sorry guys, just tiny varieties of plants - nano plants!!!) Wanted to try some dry start growing but one problem is I can't decide which tank, poor me, lol! Any decision right now means moving a tank of something somewhere!!!.

Maybe wait for the 12G SW to finish cycling then I can use the 6.6G edge as a Iwagumi inspired tank.

The DHG in the 2 tissue cultured packs are greening up pretty well, they were pale but look healthy, as the stores "grow" light is broken and has been for a long while, so you have to get the plants within a few days of their arrival so they don't start dying!!!

Betta keeper 03-29-2017 02:16 PM

Water changes on both tanks

My nerites keep leaving the water-is this normal or should I take it as a warning for a water change?

I know that when assassin snails head for top it's bad water lol

The tank is cycling right now... I just sterilized it and reset it. Using prime and bacteria supplement to keep water safe

nirbhao 03-29-2017 08:23 PM

Sometimes nerites just want to be out of the water for a bit. Their natural habitat is tide pools, so they would spend time out of the water every so often.

Weekly water tests. I don't foresee getting over sun-yellow ammonia and sky blue nitrites. love them.

brendenscott 03-29-2017 08:29 PM

Got my nilocG diy ferts today so pre mixed in the 500ml bottles provided. Will start the EI tomorrow and going away from seachem ferts.

Autumnsky 03-30-2017 02:36 AM

Thinking I pretty near hate Angelfish. I know they are just doing what they would naturally, being stuck in a fish tank is reason to try and guard territory and kill or run off the competition. Hopefully they will all live until tomorrow when I can try sorting them out.

Now one of the Angels is biting the poor Gourami again. In the 46G.
And there are 2 Angels biting other Angels and fish in the 72G!!!! Just because they want to pair up and breed, very inconvenient for me, :/. So inconsiderate!

If I could be sure which are M and F that might be a big help, gonna have to do some studying. I was told but may be incorrect info. And know the sexes of the 3 I had originally, based upon previous issues and behavior.

Will attempt to divide the M and F so there are no pairs! Sorry fish.

Tomorrow is pwc on 46G and 72G again. Plus testing for the cycling SW nano. Hoping we are ate the tipping towards cycled??!

The Angels are biting the Gourami again, hop he doesn't mind being in a 5G for a couple days :eek: Think I have to get him moved! He's freaking out.

nemesisil 03-30-2017 08:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Be adding some new toys to the tank today can't wait

Attachment 297078Attachment 297079Attachment 297080Attachment 297081

KingKoopa512 03-30-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendenscott (Post 3427524)
Got my nilocG diy ferts today so pre mixed in the 500ml bottles provided. Will start the EI tomorrow and going away from seachem ferts.

Nice I use the thrive+ since my water is softer with the fluval stratum

KingKoopa512 03-30-2017 05:29 PM

Moved some equipment around the tank. Plants look like there growing good so far might trim the dwarf baby tears sat.

KingKoopa512 03-30-2017 05:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkoopa512 (Post 3427770)
moved some equipment around the tank. Plants look like there growing good so far might trim the dwarf baby tears sat.

Attachment 297102Attachment 297102Attachment 297102Attachment 297102

Autumnsky 03-31-2017 02:41 AM

Wow, just saw something I would have never believed if I hadn't have seen it just now...

Sitting on the couch reading about fsh, of course, and I hear a loud sucking swoosh water sound. Look straight across fromcouch to the tank and see the big Angel in the had just did a pole vault into the Breeder net in the 46G.

I was thinking and probably said you stupid fish. I turned around to get the net to scoop it out and I hear a tiny noise like water when you drop a small stone into it. Fish hopped back over the fence no problem. The joke was on me because it seems the baby Platy are not there now.

This really just happened. Incredulous! Just shaking my head! There are masses of plants all around the net, floating and DW floating. The water level is down 3/4 inch but the glass top is about an inch from the top of the net. What aim that fish has.

TMaier 03-31-2017 07:13 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Oh my! [emoji79] really wanted [emoji496]?

I did my PWC yesterday and vacuum the sand. I added the recommended amount of Seachem KH and my snails totally went into lockdown. I suspect I may lose some.

nirbhao 03-31-2017 10:11 AM

Speaking of fish being smart, I have never had such fans as when I set the little cup I use to thaw frozen food on top of the filter. Daphnia today.

I'm trying to figure out how to get CO2 to be consistent in the morning. Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with that.

TMaier 03-31-2017 10:38 AM

I treated some suspect algae yesterday with H2O2. I also did the water change. I thought everyone was freaked out about the KH...BUT...this morning lights on and everyone still isn't happy. So I run tests and sure enough I have .5 ammonia. Haven't seen green in years. I think I killed more than I thought with the peroxide! 60% PWC with Prime. Pulled all the snails out into clean water and only returning those the are in motion back in the tank. Will test again in an hour.

Barliman 03-31-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3427956)
Wow, just saw something I would have never believed if I hadn't have seen it just now...

Wow. When a predator wants a meal... :eek2:

TMaier 03-31-2017 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished the 2nd 60% water change when my husband asks if I tested the tap water. A month ago I did and it was close to .25. So I tested it....this is with Prime added. Attachment 297159

Gonna do another one in a few hours with RO.

Betta keeper 03-31-2017 06:14 PM

Looks like my tap water

The king of diy, on YouTube, shows how to make a filter to clean the water before it goes into the tank. It's essentially a pvc pipe with every type of Aqua clear media stuffed into it. Capped on the end, with holes drilled for water to come out, and by the time the water makes it into the tank it's safe:)

I'm going to make one

flchamp89 03-31-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3428207)
Looks like my tap water

The king of diy, on YouTube, shows how to make a filter to clean the water before it goes into the tank. It's essentially a pvc pipe with every type of Aqua clear media stuffed into it. Capped on the end, with holes drilled for water to come out, and by the time the water makes it into the tank it's safe:)

I'm going to make one

Thats a good one. Old school..

KingKoopa512 03-31-2017 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a new plant today golden nesaea replace the ludwigia repens .

brendenscott 03-31-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 (Post 3428226)
Got a new plant today golden nesaea replace the ludwigia repens .

Nice addition.

KingKoopa512 03-31-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendenscott (Post 3428236)
Nice addition.

Thanks Brenden :)

Autumnsky 03-31-2017 09:48 PM

Still shaking my head about that jumping Angelfish! lol

Got the last Swordtail to her new owner this morning.

Tested tanks.

Moved the last 2 Snakeskin Endlers (which I always usually say Guppies) over to the Spec V 30% pwc too.

pwc on the SW and add evap water too.

Tested the last 2 days for the cycling 12G nano SW. Did some reading and I think I will do a pwc on the tank for the Chaeto which is getting some brown on the highest lighted part on top, maybe diatoms or maybe needs more minerals, etc from new water.

Yesterday added a desk lamp with daylight 5600K bulb to light the Spec V as there is a bit of damage to the power adapter after it popped open again and this time lost the sodered connection and the other piece inside is misaligned and I can't snap it back together now. :(

As noted from above members previous posts of inconvenient issues with the tanks, I am not alone. It is always something isn't it?!

Didn't get to the canister filter clean out since I felt my supply of Prime wasn't adequate with back up reserve, lol, so got another bottle, the closest store only has the medium and small size.

Got it this morning and heading in to do the clean out now. Toes crossed it goes smoothly.

TMaier 04-01-2017 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another big water change today. RO/DI w equilibrium and Kh. Finally the ammonia is down. Lost 2 nerites, 6 mystery snails and 2 Amano shrimp. Took the moss off the rock and added some Buce. It might be 6 months before I can remove the plastic clips. Moved the circulation pump down to deal with the low dead spots. The fish are all fine. Or at least seem to be.

Attachment 297224Attachment 297225

Got the last of the plants in Big Daddy. No more jars with plant bits in the garage!!!Attachment 297226

flchamp89 04-01-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3428588)
Another big water change today. RO/DI w equilibrium and Kh. Finally the ammonia is down. Lost 2 nerites, 6 mystery snails and 2 Amano shrimp. Took the moss off the rock and added some Buce. It might be 6 months before I can remove the plastic clips. Moved the circulation pump down to deal with the low dead spots. The fish are all fine. Or at least seem to be.

Got the last of the plants in Big Daddy. No more jars with plant bits in the garage!!!Attachment 297226

29 looks super clear and clean.

Autumnsky 04-01-2017 10:06 PM

Busy Auction Day

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3428588)

So sorry about the loses, it is a punch to the gut when that stuff happens. I know, most of us know. :( :banghead:

What size is the big Orb? Looks fun, I love those tanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drum roll...........:band:

Spent too much money, lol!!! Like pretty much every Auction. :rolleyes:

BUT had fun! Helped out throughout the day.

Missed a couple good deals.

Got a couple Peppermint Shrimp for the SW MacroAlgae tank, both berried, not sure if they can reproduce in a tank, but I guess we'll find out.

The CAS president took pity on me for missing out on a Metalic Mushroom I really wanted last meeting mini Auction and gave me a frag of I think Purple Stylophora coral, and I got a Trumpet Frag too

I was proud of myself for gluing each one to a base to put into the tank. Before that they were just laying loose. Now they can stand tall.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture71072.jpg

A huge bag with a mass of Cryptocoryne Usteriana maybe 40+ little plants as 2 giant masses pulled out of sombody's tank for $22. I needed something big to take up some space, so spent more than I would have liked but happy for the awesome size.

A few nice Red Crypts. 5
Echinodorous Kleiner Prince 8.

A pair of almost fully grown Turquoise Rainbows, nice ones! $15

And something I am not too sure what I want to do with quite yet, but Thai Micro Crabs 5-7 of them, they are so tiny it is hard to count a couple small one cuddled together if 1 larger or 2 smaller. They are, as adults about the size of the flat round top of a pencil eraser, legs and body total. 21.00 they are pretty hard to find and at least now I don't need to pay shipping!

Then at the last minute/very end there were a few items left in quick sale.

I got a decent 29G and glass top (no light, I have one that size though) and it's nice black metal stand (holds 2 tanks not rusty) for 12.50 each as half price, so the tank and stand for $25. and the guy selling it gave me a homemade top to cover the light. :)

Will use it as a QT tank now and as an outdoor summer tank soon. Under the deck where the little patio area is. I a excited about that.

Talked with a couple Ancistrus breeders and I will try and save my little Pleco babies tonight if I can see them wiggling. Have to move the 2 Guppies and the little CPO Dwarf Orange Crayfish. To assist the survival rate. First batch I could try to raise so far.

Super fun day as usual when I get to spend money and buy fish stuff!!!

Oh, and also stopped at the far away good selection big box pet store that has SW and found a green and White Rock Flower Anemone for 14.99!! Deal!
Will try for a pic when it gets settled in.

Going to trim the MacroAlgae from the nano tank, test the cycling 12G nano, there were less NitrItes yesterday than a couple days before...hoping soon!

TMaier 04-01-2017 10:43 PM

flchamp89, thanks. It clears up fast. Canister is awesome.

Autumnsky, thanks for the kind words. Big Daddy is 60 liters or 16 gallon?

And you went shopping!!! Can't wait for all the new pics. Make sure that Angel doesn't tank hop and eat any of your newbies.

Autumnsky 04-01-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3428634)
flchamp89, thanks. It clears up fast. Canister is awesome.

Autumnsky, thanks for the kind words. Big Daddy is 60 liters or 16 gallon?

And you went shopping!!! Can't wait for all the new pics. Make sure that Angel doesn't tank hop and eat any of your newbies.

Nice size!!! That was the one I had wanted a long while back. Still would buy if I found one cheap! For shrimp.

That is an Olympic Champion freestyle jumping Angelfish!!! That tank will have only the Turquoise Rainbows.

OMGG, I am a fish tank addict!!!

Trying to figure out how I can add the other tank and pretend like it has been there all along!?! I don't have the back room, office tank room ready yet, getting ready for the tsk tsk looking frown.....and don't you aready have enough tanks??? look!

TMaier 04-01-2017 11:12 PM

$25 bargain. Had the light, transformer, pump and a heater. Scratched all to heck. I got the worst of them buffed out. I want to put a few fish in it to eat mosquito larvae but not sure what can take the temp range. 65-85? Shaded patio but we have some summer heat.

Autumnsky 04-02-2017 01:46 AM

Settled in the fish and corals and FW and Sw inverts!

New Rainbows ate,

BIG NEWS is that I moved the baby Albino BN plecos from the cave in the 72G over to the Spec V. The water was a bit different temp, a few babies fell out of the cave and skittered all around the tank, hopefully to eat! I changes the tiny heater for a medum size and dropped in a couple bits of a sinking wafer. I was instructed today that they can eat little wafers and be fine.

This is one of the easiest things if it works! If this is successful, I will try a couple new varieties in the future!

The babies are around the size of a letter I on a keyboard, in body tail is longer, though the front of the body is wider as a Pleco would be.

Autumnsky 04-02-2017 01:47 AM

Hey all you people stalking this thread, what are you waiting for??? Join in, it is for all the members!!!

Autumnsky 04-02-2017 02:29 AM

Tmaier-Guppies are a very wide range from 64-82F.
Betta to 75-86F
Cardinals 73-81F

TMaier 04-02-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3428719)
Tmaier-Guppies are a very wide range from 64-82F.
Betta to 75-86F
Cardinals 73-81F

Thanks! Nirabou also suggested guppies.

The tank is a bit new only set up a week+ and with all the plants and a few snails it's off and running. So far no larvae spotted and I want to give it a few more weeks to make sure I had enough established bacteria in everything and have no ammonia spikes.

aseradyn 04-02-2017 09:51 AM

I took the driftwood out of my 29 to dry it out. The clado was really getting out of control. It was pretty much only on the wood, but I couldn't scrape it off, so I pulled the whole piece out. It'll sit out until the algae gets very dead, then I'll scrub off as much as I can and put it back in. Tank looks a little odd without its hardscape!

I want to get some moss to glue on before I stick it back in the tank. Not sure what kind - just not java moss!

flchamp89 04-02-2017 12:39 PM

Wc day....new purigen for both tanks. The spec is cruising along. Nothing really exciting.

The 10g got a big java moss trim. Java fern has lots of new buds...but also had several dead leaves this week. Trimmed some rotala and planted a helferi cutting. New solution for drop checker.

KingKoopa512 04-02-2017 04:38 PM

Well I have some bay fry of the golden white cloud minnows. Saw something floating around got up took a closer look and there they were baby frys I don't think they will survive since my tank is not completely cycle yet but twisted fingers

Autumnsky 04-03-2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 (Post 3428889)
Well I have some bay fry of the golden white cloud minnows. Saw something floating around got up took a closer look and there they were baby frys I don't think they will survive since my tank is not completely cycle yet but twisted fingers

Must be spring around here!!! How cool

I have a golden fry too but little Albino BN Here is one that fell out of the cave when I was moving them in to their own space! Spec V

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71074.jpg

Set up the new tank for the Discus and a couple fish which need a dip for antifungal. Already added some salt not too, much but it didn't help enough.

So we are going for an antifungal treatment and then if that doesn't do enough I willl be headed to the real lfs for the other antibacterial meds.

Had to switch cords and and plugs to get closer to the tanks they actually attach to. Found a few which weren't even plugged in any more, lol! Then, after changing things around found the Current USA tank started flashing instead of staying on. Poor fish.

Had to move the 46G over about 3 inches too to fit the large stand in the space where there was a little table and a 12x12 stand.

pwc on the Spec V

mattsfish 04-03-2017 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 297329
Added 20 mbunas and a peacock. Got an awesome deal 50$ for all of em

KingKoopa512 04-03-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3429036)
Must be spring around here!!! How cool

I have a golden fry too but little Albino BN Here is one that fell out of the cave when I was moving them in to their own space! Spec V

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71074.jpg

Set up the new tank for the Discus and a couple fish which need a dip for antifungal. Already added some salt not too, much but it didn't help enough.

So we are going for an antifungal treatment and then if that doesn't do enough I willl be headed to the real lfs for the other antibacterial meds.

Had to switch cords and and plugs to get closer to the tanks they actually attach to. Found a few which weren't even plugged in any more, lol! Then, after changing things around found the Current USA tank started flashing instead of staying on. Poor fish.

Had to move the 46G over about 3 inches too to fit the large stand in the space where there was a little table and a 12x12 stand.

pwc on the Spec V

Very I remember having a breeding pair of BN Plecos got half albino half reg. BN babies lol it was cool there were so many

KingKoopa512 04-03-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattsfish (Post 3429114)
Attachment 297329

Niiiice! ;)

Barliman 04-03-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattsfish (Post 3429114)
Attachment 297329

Wow, that is a good price, well done! :thumb:

What size tank are they in?

flchamp89 04-03-2017 01:05 PM

That is a heck of a deal..

Barliman 04-03-2017 01:12 PM

I broke down the 10g that had been the platy grow-out tank: tossed the substrate, cleaned out everything else, now trying to decide what it will become. I've kept bettas in a 10g before and I'm not all that interested in invertebrates, so I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I've been toying with a lightly-planted low-light, low-tech tank with java fern and crypts, and maybe two small schools: microdevario kubotai and corydoras habrosus. :fish2:

UntimelyLord 04-05-2017 12:10 AM

Nothing too exciting, water changes all around. My fish with the eye injury is on what I think is day 9 of his stay in sick bay with 50% daily PWC but his eye only looks slightly better, although it doesn't look infected. Will give it more time I guess. Visited a couple local Petcos to scout out the dollar-per-gallon sale, overheard employees giving customers bad fish advice, was sad but not surprised. My current place of employment is closing this week and I'm almost thinking of applying there until I can find something better because I'd like to give people decent advice. Not sure if it'd be worth the stress of working in an environment that seems to encourage incorrect advice?

Autumnsky 04-05-2017 01:15 AM

Lost my beautiful male Discus. He was dead when I came home. This morning he looked better. Heart broken.

Got a new big plastic plant and a new air pump and diffuser set up, for the QT.

While at the lfs got some Brine Shrimp.

Bought some weights and floats to make a hiding screen out of needle point plastic mesh for the Discus in QT.

Fed all the fish.

Have to clean out the meds in the QT tank.

Moved the Gourami back to the 46G.

flchamp89 04-05-2017 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3429820)
Lost my beautiful male Discus. He was dead when I came home. This morning he looked better. Heart broken.

Got a new big plastic plant and a new air pump and diffuser set up, for the QT.

While at the lfs got some Brine Shrimp.

Bought some weights and floats to make a hiding screen out of needle point plastic mesh for the Discus in QT.

Fed all the fish.

Have to clean out the meds in the QT tank.

Moved the Gourami back to the 46G.

Sorry to hear about discus. I saw how excited you were.

Autumnsky 04-05-2017 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3429834)
Sorry to hear about discus. I saw how excited you were.

Thank you. One is still okay, maybe, who knows for sure, but looks okay.

flchamp89 04-05-2017 01:57 AM

Are discus still wild caught. I know years ago it was big money to get a tank raised one.

Autumnsky 04-05-2017 03:23 AM

Stated from the previous owner, the breeder had wild caught fish and these were raised from babies from his wild ones. Unknown if they were F1 or others from down the line.

The original breeder was a author of some fish book, also unknown name, His name was said but I will be darned if I can recall. He lived in Northern Colorado when they were babies.

The breeding has advanced tremendously along with most other fish in the hobby.

There are still wild caught fish I saw some at the lfs last week. They were not as expensive as many of the fancy ones. And there were some fancies which were a really good price (for Discus). Comparing them pricing for sizes.

Got the lone Discus back into the 29G QT tank after cleaning. The tank is covered on back and sides with some kind of coating like heavy duty contact paper (but isn't that). But it is light colored. So added a dark colored pillow case so she could hide and feel more comfortable. Also have been seeing her swim back and forth, maybe ate her wafers.

Put together the new air pump, 2 down to one tube, valve with tubing and connectors and airstone. Hoping.

Betta keeper 04-05-2017 08:19 AM

Ammonia and nitrite spiked in Betta tank cycling coming along well

Heard somewhere that if you bleached your sand it would never come out again.......my sand was in my tank when I sterilized it by soaking overnight with a cup of bleach in it (29 gallon)
I then spent 4 days doing water changes with unmeasured, massive doses of Prime....no bleach smell when I rebuilt the tank

Is it ruined?? What affect is it going to have on the Betta???

TMaier 04-05-2017 08:28 AM

Autumnsky so sorry to hear you lost your discus. Condolences.

flchamp89 04-05-2017 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep working on learning how to get j.moss tight im getting there.
Attachment 297436

KingKoopa512 04-05-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3429992)
Keep working on learning how to get j.moss tight im getting there.
Attachment 297436

Very nice

flchamp89 04-05-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 (Post 3429994)
Very nice

Thanks a bunch.. I got not much else to do lol. Im going to propagate a piece of the anubias nana. It grows fairly quick imo.

ylreveb20 04-06-2017 07:06 PM

Boiling driftwood for the last three days. I'm annoyed, tannins need to go.

brendenscott 04-06-2017 07:24 PM

Cleaned my Fluval fx4 tubing and put new Purigen media in filter. Did a 50% wc due to ammonia showing .25%. Now all good.

flchamp89 04-06-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylreveb20 (Post 3430402)
Boiling driftwood for the last three days. I'm annoyed, tannins need to go.

Purigen

brendenscott 04-06-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3430425)
Purigen

Lol yup

Atucker681 04-06-2017 07:52 PM

Spent my day in a mad rush, finished work to come home and found the strangest thing... my dwarf gourami had been biting my angelfish's eye and it was bleeding so set up a hospital tank and moved him to be treated and recover

jeffruth 04-06-2017 08:53 PM

CO2 system

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got the CO2 system up and running. Have a Saga inline diffuser. Milwaukee regulator. 5lb bottle. Injecting right after the return pump @ 1bubble/sec to start. Will check the drop checker in a few hours to see how things are going.

flchamp89 04-06-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffruth (Post 3430488)
Finally got the CO2 system up and running. Have a Saga inline diffuser. Milwaukee regulator. 5lb bottle. Injecting right after the return pump @ 1bubble/sec to start. Will check the drop checker in a few hours to see how things are going.

Nice looking rig.

flchamp89 04-06-2017 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I trimmed my lilly Attachment 297515

ylreveb20 04-06-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3430498)

Looks beautiful.

flchamp89 04-06-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylreveb20 (Post 3430500)
Looks beautiful.

Thank you. I think they are nice adds a little color. Likes the Fe

TMaier 04-06-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3430498)

Are they hard to grow?

OnTheFly 04-06-2017 10:33 PM

Tried to put a very large piece of driftwood in my new 60G. Wow is it bouyant. I think I would need a cinder block to sink it now. Forced it under water and hoping it soaks up some water soon. A lot of water.

TMaier 04-06-2017 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Watching the neons shoal. Shrimp are still eating...
Attachment 297519Attachment 297520

flchamp89 04-06-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3430521)
Are they hard to grow?

I would say easy. I wish I had another

TMaier 04-06-2017 11:47 PM

I might have to give one a try!

flchamp89 04-06-2017 11:53 PM

Aquarium plant discounts

That where I got mine ....5.00 I think

nirbhao 04-07-2017 12:19 AM

Rabbits love lotuses. Be ware.

The spouse brought home something shiny new made for the CO2 system. Very excited. He asked how the fish would react to him drilling the tank stand. I suggested that we partially drain the tank, move it, and then he can take the stand elsewhere to work on it. He asked if that would be stressful for the fish.

I'm sure drilling angle iron would be very relaxing.

Autumnsky 04-07-2017 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atucker681 (Post 3430432)
Spent my day in a mad rush, finished work to come home and found the strangest thing... my dwarf gourami had been biting my angelfish's eye and it was bleeding so set up a hospital tank and moved him to be treated and recover

Check the water parameters. Sometimes an issue.

Sometimes a mean fish. I just had a similar situation, it was a male Swordtail biting the eye of my Angel. Then started after my Gourami, both fish MUCH larger then he.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffruth (Post 3430488)

NICE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFly (Post 3430526)
Tried to put a very large piece of driftwood in my new 60G. Wow is it bouyant. I think I would need a cinder block to sink it now. Forced it under water and hoping it soaks up some water soon. A lot of water.

I have 5 recently purchased new driftwood floating for over a month now still bouncy like a buoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3430528)
Watching the neons shoal. Shrimp are still eating...
Attachment 297519Attachment 297520

Pretty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3430533)
I would say easy. I wish I had another

Check the edges of the plant, they split off and make new ones and can find them at the base sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirbhao (Post 3430552)
Rabbits love lotuses. Be ware.

The spouse brought home something shiny new made for the CO2 system. Very excited. He asked how the fish would react to him drilling the tank stand. I suggested that we partially drain the tank, move it, and then he can take the stand elsewhere to work on it. He asked if that would be stressful for the fish.

I'm sure drilling angle iron would be very relaxing.

Yes, the fish would love that. ROFL!!!

~~~~
Fed Tubifex and Plankton.

20% pwc on SW nano. Saw at least 7 Dwarf Brittle Stars grabbing for the foods. My Stylophora frag is bleaching in spots. Was warned about that from SniperHank. :(

Nice thing is the 12G SW fishless cycling tank is getting lighter color Nitrites test every few days, so it is getting closer, probably another week and we'll be in business. Fingers crossed, lol.

~38G pwc on the 46G tank. Had a touch of ammonia maybe .05-.10 and a little nitrate, probably 30-40, (0 Nitrite) have a bunch of fish in there because of the Platys. Cleaned out the AC 110 too. Bunch of Platy will hopefully go to the pond.

Was trying to save a gallon pitcher of seeded media but ran out of air bubblers to keep it circulating and after 2 days was a lot of die off and it was stinky!!! Dumped water and added some water from cleaning out the AC110, maybe save enough to keep it able to cycle the QT tank.

1.5G pwc on the Spec V (5G) with the baby Albino bn plecos and the Poppa BN still in the cave. Saw at least one of the tiny babies still zipping around the tank, from the 2 that fell out of the cave when being moved, and he's 2x as big as last week!!! Been keeping the light on it a little bit longer to grow more algae for when they come out of the cave.

The lone Discus seems to have decent color, no black stress bars and I think she ate a little bit.

Tested her water maybe .15 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and maybe 2 Nitrate Tomorrow pwc on that tank of 75%. She is the one of the pair that would come out and watch me, still coming out from behind her blanket covering and looking at me, a little swimming around rather than sitting in the corner, and that seems good.

Adding some Prime just to make sure the water stays good til morning after feeding cubes of both foods in an attempt to entice eating.

Maybe going to move the Angels from the 72G and switch the Discus back to the big tank which is where I would like her to be, sometime this week, need to redecorate the tank a little to make more room for swimming. Maybe will buy a moderate size companion for her, or a number of smaller ones, still trying to get best consensus for the decision. The stress from this fish is making me old faster than I'd like!!!

TMaier 04-07-2017 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While I love the garnet sand, I don't know if it shows the shrimplettes very well. Attachment 297529

If I change the sand it would be in sections at a time. Vacuuming up sand is easy.

What color though? Or should I just leave it and it's fine?

flchamp89 04-07-2017 09:16 AM

Your tanks have strongly made me consider that sand on my next build. Both I think nothing brings out rcs color like black.

Autumnsky 04-07-2017 11:34 AM

There is also garnet sand with orange sunset tones. I am passively looking for that at the moment. The sand from the river in idaho is all the purple color Garnet sand at least so far as I have seen.

TMaier 04-07-2017 12:23 PM

My 2 sands came from different sources. One is purple not reddish I ordered off eBay. One is more reddish that I got from a water filtration supply. Very different colors.

nirbhao 04-07-2017 08:10 PM

Rearranging some plants. Moved java fern to the 29, compacta to the 20. Bought a tiny banana plant for the topple popple's betta. I also got some microsword for the 20. I loved it when I had it before, and now I can give it CO2, good light, and fertilizers. Should be awesome.

brendenscott 04-07-2017 08:34 PM

Got a cleanup crew with some algae eaters. Yay.

jeffruth 04-07-2017 08:56 PM

Did a 40% water change. Love the Python. I drain the tank for 10mins, literally. I set a 10min timer on my phone. Removes just shy of 35 gallons (gravity run), then fill it which takes roughly 4mins. Have marks on my taps so the water goes in at or just below tank temp. So in 15mins, of which I only spend 5mins of actual work, I can do my WC.

Autumnsky 04-08-2017 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffruth (Post 3430913)
Did a 40% water change. Love the Python. I drain the tank for 10mins, literally. I set a 10min timer on my phone. Removes just shy of 35 gallons (gravity run), then fill it which takes roughly 4mins. Have marks on my taps so the water goes in at or just below tank temp. So in 15mins, of which I only spend 5mins of actual work, I can do my WC.

That sounds good!

Had a big mess in the 29G Discus Tank as the Discus didn't seem to eat the Plankton.

Emptied it again! Refilled it and had to dig around the fish closet for a working filter. I probably killed the BB on the seeded media I tried to save. It's always something. My big filter I dug out didn't work :facepalm: so I am stuck with a little one for now. Better than nothing for tonight as it was too late to go buy a new one.

Also found a bunch of dead tiny Plecos, I saw maybe 5 alive. I think the flow slowed down, there was some little bits of Subwassertang stuck in the inflow.

Not exactly sure what happened there but they got fuzzy, not sure if that was before, but probably just after they died. 70% pwc

Tried to capture the poppa but he squeezed away too many times. He has been sitting on the eggs not eating for so long I don't want to stress him out too much, cause him illness.

I'm getting tired of fish, lol. Mostly of changing water!!! Bought more Prime they only had a x-small bottle and got a big bottle of Stress Coat.

KingKoopa512 04-08-2017 11:36 AM

Added some SAEs to the tank where free on CL gotten about 2 weeks ago have a small 10gl quarantine tank and they checked out clear lol https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...72d3b00a33.jpg