Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

jeffruth 01-20-2018 09:25 PM

New fish

1 Attachment(s)
So I did a 50% WC on my Betta tank. Gravel vac’d the substrate.

Then, I went and got myself a Bushy Nose Pleco for my 90gal setup. He is pretty cool looking.

He blends into the wood nice so a little hard to see.

V227 01-20-2018 09:39 PM

That really is a cool looking Pleco. :thumb:

Angellove78 01-20-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3485193)
View from my fav chair. Attachment 306404

That is one fine Chrystal ball! I could watch that for hours. Seeing a view like that from where your sitting, that would be my favorite chair too. [emoji4]

Autumnsky 01-20-2018 11:33 PM

Since the coral would be exposed, I had to do 3 pwc on the 12G to refresh the water and 2 on the 6.6G. Added some new snails Nasarius -3 and Astrea -2.

But the best thing was this!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71730.jpg

Adorable!!!

KuhliCray 01-21-2018 12:49 AM

Pulled out a bunch of pest snails today. Planning on adding new fish tomorrow! 1 fancy male guppy and 6 kuhli loaches. I'm very excited!

TMaier 01-21-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3485376)
Since the coral would be exposed, I had to do 3 pwc on the 12G to refresh the water and 2 on the 6.6G. Added some new snails Nasarius -3 and Astrea -2.

But the best thing was this!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71730.jpg

Adorable!!!

What a little cutie.

TMaier 01-21-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellove78 (Post 3485364)
That is one fine Chrystal ball! I could watch that for hours. Seeing a view like that from where your sitting, that would be my favorite chair too. [emoji4]

Thanks. And I have a chair right next to it so the CPDís can really give me a great show.

Fresh2o 01-21-2018 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted a 29g tank today using Plasti Dip. After spraying 4-5 light coats, I did an opacity test by turning off all of the lights and seeing if the flashlight from my phone was visible through the glass. It was. Added 2 more coats. Still visible. Added the rest of the can (3-4 more coats) and the flashlight is barely visible. Probably overkill since there will not be such a strong light source behind the tank.
First time using plastidip. Selected it because removal is supposed to be very easy. You need good ventilation and protection from overspray. Before I peel off the blue painters tape I will take a box cutter blade to the seams so that the back does not get peeled off in the process. Attachment 306438

TMaier 01-21-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3485492)
Painted a 29g tank today using Plasti Dip. After spraying 4-5 light coats, I did an opacity test by turning off all of the lights and seeing if the flashlight from my phone was visible through the glass. It was. Added 2 more coats. Still visible. Added the rest of the can (3-4 more coats) and the flashlight is barely visible. Probably overkill since there will not be such a strong light source behind the tank.
First time using plastidip. Selected it because removal is supposed to be very easy. You need good ventilation and protection from overspray. Before I peel off the blue painters tape I will take a box cutter blade to the seams so that the back does not get peeled off in the process. Attachment 306438

Craft acrylic paint is easy to remove. $1 rubbing alcohol.

Fresh2o 01-21-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3485498)
Craft acrylic paint is easy to remove. $1 rubbing alcohol.

You know, I have 3 small unopened bottles of Jet Black Acrylic paint from my last tank paint job. Got good results from the acrylic though I need to be careful to not scratch it (with the filters). The Plastidip was something I heard good things about and wanted to try. When I bring in the tank Iíll take some pics to see how it turned out.
$1 rubbing alcohol, huh? You are wise beyond your years.

TMaier 01-21-2018 09:08 PM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The alcohol removes the paint pretty easy. I just sponge it on and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off with the paint with a bit more alcohol on a soft rag.
Iím a sloppy painter and had to learn how to clean up my mishaps. But Iíve done it on tank backs a few times.

jeffruth 01-22-2018 03:22 PM

Rescape

3 Attachment(s)
So I decided to do a rescape on the 90gal. Not a major one, but just wanted to open the front area of the tank some. I have a piece of wood that all the moss is attached to. The moss is out of control. I removed a 2 litre juice jug full of it. I cut about 16Ē off the price of wood and reinstalled it into the tank. This opened the front up nicely. I have a before and after of the tank. Also ended up doing a 80% WC on the tank.
First picture is old setup
Second picture is new
Third picture is just a nicer shot of my new pleco

V227 01-22-2018 06:11 PM

Jeff
I like the scape redo. Sometimes less is more.

Aski247 01-22-2018 07:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Added a new fish. [emoji41]Attachment 306469Attachment 306470

Fresh2o 01-22-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3485503)
The alcohol removes the paint pretty easy. I just sponge it on and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off with the paint with a bit more alcohol on a soft rag.
Iím a sloppy painter and had to learn how to clean up my mishaps. But Iíve done it on tank backs a few times.

Just a follow up: I ended up painted a couple of coats of acrylic over the plasti dip and there is zero light penetration. Thanks for the tips. Live and learn.

TMaier 01-22-2018 09:53 PM

Never thought of that! I hope they donít react to each other.

Tacit Blues 01-23-2018 12:31 AM

On my 40 breeder I did plasti dip on the back and I like it quite a bit. I also used it on the pvc hardware for the outlet, and itís working pretty good there. I think the trick is to do lots of light coats and let them dry in between.

Autumnsky 01-23-2018 01:23 AM

Just finished up with the prep for the trip away, I didn't get the timers hooked up for the lights. UGH!

Did make little tags for the tanks for the matching pill keepers with the foods for each day.

Topped off tanks and bowls and vases and containers of plants - YIKES! so many containers to fillup, hahaha. Might be away for some days, depends on the situation. Holding my breath on how the tanks situation goes.

Tired out!!!

Angellove78 01-23-2018 12:34 PM

I changed my polishing pad in my canister filter and forgot to rinse it, now my tank is pretty hazy. Ugh! Did a water change waiting for it to clear up alittle more so I can tackle it. Oops. First time I did that one.

TMaier 01-28-2018 09:39 PM

Biube and Biorb cleaned yesterday and today my main tank and the nursery got cleaned. The nursery got some new PFS. Pulled the Tahitian Moon sand out. Suspect it has been the source of issues with my inverts.

nirbhao 01-29-2018 06:58 PM

Our water is evaporating so quickly that I have to top off the tanks every day. It's so dry!

MLHoenig 01-29-2018 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 306696

Attachment 306697

Relocated our 29g from the living room to the bedroom, singlehanded; and with a bad back, thatís no small featÖbut with a 110g coming home in three days, ya does what ya gots to does. 🤠

Swapped some LR between the 29 and our 75 during the move; hope yíall appreciate how delicate one must be when working with montiporaÖthis babyís about 6Ē diameter and was becoming too much for the smaller tank.

Fresh2o 01-29-2018 08:32 PM

Testing out some new lighting in my 29g. https://i.imgur.com/T331jL4.jpg

TMaier 01-30-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3487028)

Lots of mood and intrigue. Looks nice. I thought the leaf debris would be thicker?

BBradbury 01-30-2018 10:16 AM

New Tank

Hello...

Getting the pieces together for a 75 gallon Comet tank. Rescued some from the local fish store a few months ago and they are great fish. Flashy looking orange and silver and these are surprisingly healthy. No heater needed, these fish like the cooler water. I'll use a couple of dual sponge filters and have some Anubias, Hornwort and Anacharis plants. Just a pea sized gravel substrate, nothing fancy and lots of large weekly water changes, these guys are enthusiastic eaters.

B

V227 01-30-2018 11:05 AM

BB
I did my 65 gal. With Pea Gravel purchased from Lowe's. Cost five bucks.

BBradbury 01-31-2018 07:21 AM

Pea-gravel

Quote:

Originally Posted by V227 (Post 3487147)
BB
I did my 65 gal. With Pea Gravel purchased from Lowe's. Cost five bucks.

Hello V...

Great idea! If I can save a few dollars, I'm all for it.

B

Autumnsky 02-01-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 3487346)
Hello V...

Great idea! If I can save a few dollars, I'm all for it.

B

GF tend to accidentally eat small gravel when they suck up their food - FYI. I have had to remove a piece from a fishes mouth which stuck, that came from the water lily basket used to weight it down.

~~~~~~~~~~

Back from the out of town trip.

I think that the fish survived all right. Didn't notice any missing fish.

Angellove78 02-02-2018 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally added my blue platy's to my 75g.They are so excited. Their fins are so much more opened, and the blue stands out more under the brighter light. Attachment 306815

TMaier 02-02-2018 09:47 PM

Honey Gourami back to the store today. Feisty little snail nippers had to go.

Coralocean 02-02-2018 10:19 PM

Went to Petco and found an Aqueon Pro water heater with a 10% off coupon so it was the same price as online. Couldn't resist a rock cave, air pump and an air stone lol. Washed everything and added it to my tank. :)

TMaier 02-04-2018 12:40 PM

Challenged myself to combine my 3 bins of aquarium stuff down into 2. Iím a failure. I filled up the kitchen bin and trashed a bunch of stuff. But now I just have 3 nicely organized bins. 1 for the stuff I use weekly. 1 for the stuff I use for filter/media changes. And the final one with back up heaters, lights, pumps, an HOB Incase a canister fails. My hubbie is suggesting i move it all to my craft room so he can use the shelf space in the garage. Nope.

Angellove78 02-04-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3488242)
Challenged myself to combine my 3 bins of aquarium stuff down into 2. Iím a failure. I filled up the kitchen bin and trashed a bunch of stuff. But now I just have 3 nicely organized bins. 1 for the stuff I use weekly. 1 for the stuff I use for filter/media changes. And the final one with back up heaters, lights, pumps, an HOB Incase a canister fails. My hubbie is suggesting i move it all to my craft room so he can use the shelf space in the garage. Nope.

Lol! Well at least the thought was there. Maybe next time huh. Lol! [emoji39]

Autumnsky 02-04-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3488242)
Challenged myself to combine my 3 bins of aquarium stuff down into 2. I’m a failure. I filled up the kitchen bin and trashed a bunch of stuff. But now I just have 3 nicely organized bins. 1 for the stuff I use weekly. 1 for the stuff I use for filter/media changes. And the final one with back up heaters, lights, pumps, an HOB Incase a canister fails. My hubbie is suggesting i move it all to my craft room so he can use the shelf space in the garage. Nope.

Congrats to you for the hard work even if it didn't get consolidated into 2. My stuff is still halfway organized.

My opinion is at least one metal "shelf" in the garage for your stuff, lol!!!

Start the rounds of pwc.

My ears must be getting too sensitive because I can hear the tank's trickling water from having evaporation and it's been driving me crazy.

~~~
A couple issues will need addressing. Not really positive why but the big Angel has a little fin issues starting at the very edges.

A decision must be made about the 3 fish in the 29G One Opaline Gourami, one Koi Angel and one ginormous (at least for my tank) Spotted Raphael Cat. Which enjoys eating my Neons (so can't go back to the 72G).

The Gourami is just plagued with continued issues and looks in poor health presently, even after med. treatments. It has been a trooper but has had issues from the beginning when I adopted it from my daughter and almost a year after she adopted it. So about 4.5-5 years. Sometimes it's better, sometimes worse.

Fresh2o 02-05-2018 11:56 PM

I moved my yellow neon (neocaridina) shrimp to the RCS tank. Mixing shrimp. Blasphemous, I know. I needed a QT for a group of Corydoras hasbrosus I plan on picking up from an LFS on Wednesday. 25 are supposed to be arriving...might scoop up all of them. True pygmies would have been nice as well. Prepping the QT with IAL and maple leaves.

Autumnsky 02-06-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3488506)
I moved my yellow neon (neocaridina) shrimp to the RCS tank. Mixing shrimp. Blasphemous, I know. I needed a QT for a group of Corydoras hasbrosus I plan on picking up from an LFS on Wednesday. 25 are supposed to be arriving...might scoop up all of them. True pygmies would have been nice as well. Prepping the QT with IAL and maple leaves.

ROFL. Ornamental specimens now I guess.

The Habrosus are really pretty and interesting tankmates. I have a few Pygmies and they are fun to watch too. I always watch the expensive Hastatus (9.99) at the not so LFS, and they swim around like regular fish, in swarm clouds all over the tank. Perhaps appropriately, their common name on the tank is Hummingbird Cory.

I prefer the ones which venture around but like the lower part of the tank. in what I have seen the Habrosus see to hang around each other but are independent, moving around individually or together, not caring which. Pygmies are constantly following each other like follow the leader. Which reminds me I need to get a handful more of the little guys.

nirbhao 02-06-2018 09:12 AM

I had a dream / nightmare last night that our 20 long was covered in an oily film, that the filter was pouring water into the floor through the impeller hole, and that there was a dead turtle under rocks that aren't actually in the tank. I didn't realize it wasn't real until I checked and saw everything looking completely okay and fine.

I'm trying to catch shrimp again. They aren't falling for the algae tab in a clear container trap. They're too smart. They don't know that, if they stay, they will be food. I caught two... Out of eight.

I can't flush them out because they just hunker down. Dudes, you can hide from me, but you can't hide from mini earth eaters.

Autumnsky 02-06-2018 12:48 PM

Mini terror there Nirbhao. Also have had incredible scary dreams about tanks :eek:

Glad you don't have any dead turtles chillin under the rocks - good to know ;)

Don't feed for say 3 days, then give a Hikari sinking food pellet, or similar, something with some meat in it. The shrimp will come out. Use 2 nets, scoop fast.

- Didn't get any time to do pwc the last couple days, maybe tonight. Did pick up a little bottle of Prime. Going to order a 2 liter tonight. I use too much perhaps, but change a LOT of water usually.

Coralocean 02-06-2018 12:54 PM

Hmm, never had dreams about my fish tanks. That one was pretty scary..so I bet ya tonight I will have one..thanks. lol

TMaier 02-06-2018 08:47 PM

OMG so many sleepless hours spent worrying about tanks. Blasphemed to God as to why did he ever feel the need to plague us with planaria.

MLHoenig 02-06-2018 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some additional cleanup crew, andÖ

Attachment 306944

smallfry53 02-07-2018 12:25 AM

Way too much...
https://i.imgur.com/d1jJu3I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ixfdnhe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hXWBi29.jpg

Still have some rearranging to do, but the hard part is done.

V227 02-07-2018 07:57 AM

Been there! Sweet new setup.:thumb:

nirbhao 02-07-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3488572)
Mini terror there Nirbhao. Also have had incredible scary dreams about tanks :eek:

Glad you don't have any dead turtles chillin under the rocks - good to know ;)

Don't feed for say 3 days, then give a Hikari sinking food pellet, or similar, something with some meat in it. The shrimp will come out. Use 2 nets, scoop fast.

- Didn't get any time to do pwc the last couple days, maybe tonight. Did pick up a little bottle of Prime. Going to order a 2 liter tonight. I use too much perhaps, but change a LOT of water usually.

I had planned to fast the tank and then try the bait again, but then I learned that the fish would be arriving much sooner than anticipated.

Have you considered switching to Safe? We double dosed Prime with every water change because of the high levels of chloramine in our water. We eventually switched to Safe because it is so, so, so much less expensive. I think it's why I needed to add CupriSorb, but that's still a lot more cost effective than Prime.

Autumnsky 02-08-2018 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3488635)
OMG so many sleepless hours spent worrying about tanks. Blasphemed to God as to why did he ever feel the need to plague us with planaria.

So funny to hear you say (aka: read but hear them in my head) the words. Validation.

Nirbhao, I never got around to ordering the Prime, and I'm glad you mentioned the Safe. I will look at that more closely. I have had a different variety of the dry dechlorinator - just something I got box of misc. Fish stuff which came with a purchase.

Family stuff took priority over tank stuff again. Will try again tomorrow. Did email someone about a 45G for the SW.

KristaButler 02-08-2018 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I added a new fish. Attachment 307000

KristaButler 02-08-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallfry53 (Post 3488664)
Way too much...

Oh nice. I like the new look!

KristaButler 02-08-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3487971)
Honey Gourami back to the store today. Feisty little snail nippers had to go.

If they are not nice, they can't stay! No matter how pretty. That's my motto. Some have the biggest attitudes.

KristaButler 02-08-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3487028)

Very sleek! I love how classy your tanks look. You should run an aquarium store.

KristaButler 02-08-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffruth (Post 3485623)
So I decided to do a rescape on the 90gal. Not a major one, but just wanted to open the front area of the tank some. I have a piece of wood that all the moss is attached to. The moss is out of control. I removed a 2 litre juice jug full of it. I cut about 16Ē off the price of wood and reinstalled it into the tank. This opened the front up nicely. I have a before and after of the tank. Also ended up doing a 80% WC on the tank.

First picture is old setup

Second picture is new

Third picture is just a nicer shot of my new pleco

Yes the new scape looks great!

Angellove78 02-08-2018 02:39 PM

I cleaned and changed my filter pads. Changed a few rings. Should be good to go. Just gotta take out all the decorations and clean them up. Can't wait to plant it. So over plastic plants.

Autumnsky 02-08-2018 08:41 PM

New Ram is a cutie KristaB!

Okay pics are taken and will follow.

SUPER Duper excited... bonanza of shrimplets. Saw maybe 18 in 3 sizes of little bitty shrimp, like a couple weeks old, a month old and now maybe 10 tiny newborn to day old babies!!! They were all over the tank, I just kept finding them and they were like little specks OMGGGGG. So very excited.

That was just looking in like 5 min when I grabbed the cell phone. Could be more?! Tank is like a jungle but I won't be messing around with it any time soon. New shrimp fry are the priority!

Hoping the Planaria don't get them. Will probably treat for that this next week wait for the tiny ones to get a little bit bigger - was too scared before. Didn't have any problem from treatment just want to be cautious!

Plus the little ones from the last baby shrimp cycle/batch of maybe 6 or 8 from a couple months ago.

There are still many berried females

MLHoenig 02-08-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallfry53 (Post 3488664)
Way too much...

Nice!

Great looking setup!

smallfry53 02-09-2018 01:21 AM

I appreciate the kind words from everybody. I have some hardware I bought for the stand that I think will make it look a little nicer yet. As far as the tank goes, I have came to the conclusion that I'm not good at scaping, so making things more simple is better.... lol toss a nice big piece of driftwood, and let it's natural beauty do the work.

V227 02-09-2018 08:13 AM

Small Fry
I think you have discovered the secret to being a good aquascaper. ::thumb:

TMaier 02-09-2018 06:04 PM

Just ordered some liquid goat dewormer. If this video doesnít give you the heebie jeebies Iíll be amazed.

Planaria
https://youtu.be/Da9kK1eCvkg

Autumnsky 02-10-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3489047)
Just ordered some liquid goat dewormer. If this video doesnít give you the heebie jeebies Iíll be amazed.

Planaria
https://youtu.be/Da9kK1eCvkg

Oh GAWD - one second and that's all I need to watch!

Did PWC on the 2 SW nanos.

Got the 2 light bulbs full spectrum 38 PAR for SW from far, far away. Had bought a couple light holders only to realize my dea about how well it would work was NOT quite right. They are cool looking but wrong for the LED bulbs.

The LED bulbs come with the aluminum heat sink and need to cool, the light fixture has cover and not enough gap for heat to leave so would be cooking the bulbs.

Did pwc on PRL shrimp tank and the Turtle bowl and 5G Spec V. Removed lots of duckweed and need to do the 72G and the 29G

Was offered back my 16G bowfront from my friend - considering making it a temp SW.

Hoping to find the perfect previously used SW tank still. :lol:

TMaier 02-10-2018 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just how big can a Malaysian Trumpet Snail grow?Attachment 307051

Fresh2o 02-10-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3489245)

Thatís ginormous

Fresh2o 02-10-2018 08:46 PM

Brought some recently purchased deceased fish in for store credit. Picked up some brine shrimp for the fish. Also got a 5g jug with RODI for top offs. Talked to random folks in the LFS about Planted tanks (I have no other outlet except for you guys).

Autumnsky 02-11-2018 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3489245)

I have a big one about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 less large as yours and I thought it was a big one! Do you think it could be a Rabbit Snail/ though you grow pretty good snails?!!!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3489268)
Brought some recently purchased deceased fish in for store credit. Picked up some brine shrimp for the fish. Also got a 5g jug with RODI for top offs. Talked to random folks in the LFS about Planted tanks (I have no other outlet except for you guys).

lol, they probably don't either!

Nearly had a heart attack when my visiting dad came in an tried to wash off his lunch fork in my 5g bucket of fresh pwc water for my PRL shrimp. I told him to stay away from my bucket of water, we aren't out camping, we're in the house and get his fork away from there!!! Get away from the bucket!!! He said something to the effect of just wanting to get the food off. Ahhhhhhhhh!

TMaier 02-11-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3489327)
I have a big one about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 less large as yours and I thought it was a big one! Do you think it could be a Rabbit Snail/ though you grow pretty good snails?!!!?

lol, they probably don't either!

Nearly had a heart attack when my visiting dad came in an tried to wash off his lunch fork in my 5g bucket of fresh pwc water for my PRL shrimp. I told him to stay away from my bucket of water, we aren't out camping, we're in the house and get his fork away from there!!! Get away from the bucket!!! He said something to the effect of just wanting to get the food off. Ahhhhhhhhh!

I wonder! I have no idea how to distinguish the species. Off to do some reading!

And your Dad...perfect opportunity for a head smack. What was he thinking. [emoji23]

Found a video. Pretty sure mine are MTS. The way the reproduce fast...
https://youtu.be/o60PTO1Asb8

Autumnsky 02-17-2018 01:19 AM

Today decided to something brave or dumb (probably way more than one thing, lol).

I started to de-rim the Fluval Edge tank with the cracked top. Since an Edge has a silicone-d glass top panel I am not sure if that would be the exact term. With all the inhabitants still inside. So I don't have to mess up the tiny eco system.

The one sided razor blade worked pretty well on the cracked side and back seam silicone part where the pressure was loosened. The corners are another story. Very tight, seems like it is locked tight.

After the quick success of the cracked part I got a moment of slight terror when I was hearing the cracked chunk make slight cracking glass noise as I pried on it a tiny bit. Just for a second, I was thinking it could end up being a cracked panel which normally holds the water in and could have all my inhabitants and 6.6G of water on the floor.

I bee lined it for the utility closet for the 2 clean 5G buckets and 2 oversized floor towels... Then I had to leave unexpectedly... hmmmm.

More playing tomorrow. I have an additional spare Edge glass only tank which I could try to get the top off of. Previously I got a de-rimmed Edge glass only tank from a local guy but broke the top. It used to simply sit on top of the glass side panels. Interesting.

Since I still have not found the right tank it seemed to possibly be the better option. Maybe I should clean out the extra tank in case I break the one everything sits in now...

I will keep running the razor blade back and forth removing thin slices of silicone, maybe then it will magically come right off :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I am picking up my previous inhabitant Angelfish Reina (maybe now will call her the Angel of Death as she kills her Angelfish tank mates).

And the 16G bowfront I gave to my friend will come back home too.

Will be playing some musical tanks tomorrow!

Arthur75 02-17-2018 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3490206)
Today decided to something brave or dumb (probably way more than one thing, lol).

I started to de-rim the Fluval Edge tank with the cracked top. Since an Edge has a silicone-d glass top panel I am not sure if that would be the exact term. With all the inhabitants still inside. So I don't have to mess up the tiny eco system.

The one sided razor blade worked pretty well on the cracked side and back seam silicone part where the pressure was loosened. The corners are another story. Very tight, seems like it is locked tight.

After the quick success of the cracked part I got a moment of slight terror when I was hearing the cracked chunk make slight cracking glass noise as I pried on it a tiny bit. Just for a second, I was thinking it could end up being a cracked panel which normally holds the water in and could have all my inhabitants and 6.6G of water on the floor.

I bee lined it for the utility closet for the 2 clean 5G buckets and 2 oversized floor towels... Then I had to leave unexpectedly... hmmmm.

More playing tomorrow. I have an additional spare Edge glass only tank which I could try to get the top off of. Previously I got a de-rimmed Edge glass only tank from a local guy but broke the top. It used to simply sit on top of the glass side panels. Interesting.

Since I still have not found the right tank it seemed to possibly be the better option. Maybe I should clean out the extra tank in case I break the one everything sits in now...

I will keep running the razor blade back and forth removing thin slices of silicone, maybe then it will magically come right off :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I am picking up my previous inhabitant Angelfish Reina (maybe now will call her the Angel of Death as she kills her Angelfish tank mates).

And the 16G bowfront I gave to my friend will come back home too.

Will be playing some musical tanks tomorrow!

We have another situation here. Because only a few people have fish, many aquariums are given away. (in the newspaper).
I got a 25 gallon from a old man..
I was sorry that an old aquarist is less again, but the pelvis is good.

If it works with my post,I give a pic later

ksimmons8001 02-17-2018 06:03 AM

I added an ounce of ammonia to my tank today

ksimmons8001 02-17-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaButler (Post 3488890)
Very sleek! I love how classy your tanks look. You should run an aquarium store.

really nice. The spot lights are a great addition. Never thought of that.

BBradbury 02-17-2018 07:52 AM

Keeping Comets

Hello...

Working on my Comets' tank today. A very nice fish. Have some gold, silver and some of both colors with black markings on the fins. Fast growing and very hardy. Don't have to use heaters, or high end filters. These will live in cooler water, about 68 degrees and with large, weekly water changes, i can use simple, sponge filtration. Food is simple too. I just feed a variety of low phosphate flakes, freeze dried and some pellets and wafers.

Am setting up a 75 G tank for them and have some Anacharis and Hornwort growing in a 38 G. Lighting is a four bulb fixture from the hardware store I picked up on sale. Doubt the setup is more than $100.00. The floating plants love florescent lighting and the plants add to the fishes' diet.

I like easy.

B

TMaier 02-17-2018 09:10 AM

Autumnsky please excuse me but I canít resist...

Youíre living on the Edge.

Autumnsky 02-17-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3490228)
Autumnsky please excuse me but I canít resist...

Youíre living on the Edge.

That was good for a morning chuckle! I had a squirrel on my porch - mines not trained me yet though. Time for musical fish today.

I thought of using some 1 or 2 inch duct tape around the top edge for stability. Will add that before more work on removing the top caulk.

Might also use a fresh blade on a box knife. So many choices in how to cause a fish tank disaster.

Kishore 02-17-2018 09:27 PM

Woke up to find my angels nipping at a neon tetra. They have been guarding this place that they lay eggs on. I netted him out and placed him in a mug. He is upside down. I don't think he'll make it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hl...a=w850-h637-no

KuhliCray 02-17-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kishore (Post 3490274)
Woke up to find my angels nipping at a neon tetra. They have been guarding this place that they lay eggs on. I netted him out and placed him in a mug. He is upside down. I don't think he'll make it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hl...a=w850-h637-no

Aw thatís terrible! [emoji22]

Autumnsky 02-18-2018 01:41 AM

They can be very fierce.

~~~~

The transfer of the Angelfish killer Angelfish I was supposed to get back did not happen, change of timing/plans - moving prepping is sometimes tough. Also the 16G bowfront will be at the same time, maybe next week.

Did pwc all around except the 72G.

Went to the SW lfs, got an extra 5G tote for SW and filled up 4 so it is 20G of SW expecting at some point will need some more, I had 3 extra empty 5G bottles for the water people to but didn't fill them. That was for the 16G tank that I didn't pick up. so I have one more week maybe 9 days to look for another tank for the combo SW nanos.

Moved 2 F Endlers from the 72G put them into the Turtle bowl with the males and moved 2 fish, a F and a fry - the only two I could catch. Considering on moving all the Endlers to the 5G Spec, or maybe an Edge tank, thinking it over. Would like to see them sparkly and swimming all around. Presently all DHG growing around like a grassy Jungle. Plus the other plants, mainly tons of shedding Riccia.

Opaline Gourami is now in the 72G, things seem peaceable enough at this time. It looks like the Angel in the 29G QT - previous companion of the Gourami is missing him. Keeps swimming around like looking for him.

Tacit Blues 02-18-2018 04:35 PM

Well, havenít been doing anything with the tanks since weíve been mostly holed up in the NICU with my son (!!!!) but yesterday, just as I was walking past the 45 gallon, I saw something newóa tiny tiny baby pleco! My three bristlenoses apparently decided that now, now that no maintenance has been done for... a month? Maybe more? But now was a good time to get it on. Thereís at least 4 babies, but thereís so many plants in there Iím sure thatís only a small sample of them.

nirbhao 02-18-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacit Blues (Post 3490384)
Well, havenít been doing anything with the tanks since weíve been mostly holed up in the NICU with my son (!!!!) but yesterday, just as I was walking past the 45 gallon, I saw something newóa tiny tiny baby pleco! My three bristlenoses apparently decided that now, now that no maintenance has been done for... a month? Maybe more? But now was a good time to get it on. Thereís at least 4 babies, but thereís so many plants in there Iím sure thatís only a small sample of them.

I hope your son is doing better.

I'm rethinking my shrimp situation. I don't like how their water doesn't move.

Autumnsky 02-19-2018 01:18 AM

BN love you to leave them alone, that is when I found my first batch.

Congrats for the new baby BN.

Best Wishes for your new little human baby's speedy and proper development.

Tacit Blues 02-19-2018 09:16 AM

Thanks :) heís doing very well, just 6 weeks early, so heís got some extra growing to do :)

Coralocean 02-19-2018 11:58 PM

Bought a tiny baby female betta a few days ago *she is so adorable* :flowers:
Did a water change on her 1 gallon tank. I made a cute filter for it. Finally got nitrAtes and 0 ammonia on my male betta's 10 gallon. It just dawned on me I can take some media from there and put it in baby's tank.:thumb:
My 30 gallon is showing no more signs of ich I vacuumed the gravel, keeping the temp hovering around 87F. Wonder how long I should keep it that high.

I have been very careful no to cross contaminate with the three tanks. Once the baby girl is big enough she is going in with the community 30 gallon.

Autumnsky 02-20-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralocean (Post 3490616)
Bought a tiny baby female betta a few days ago *she is so adorable* :flowers:
Did a water change on her 1 gallon tank. I made a cute filter for it. Finally got nitrAtes and 0 ammonia on my male betta's 10 gallon. It just dawned on me I can take some media from there and put it in baby's tank.:thumb:
My 30 gallon is showing no more signs of ich I vacuumed the gravel, keeping the temp hovering around 87F. Wonder how long I should keep it that high.

I have been very careful no to cross contaminate with the three tanks. Once the baby girl is big enough she is going in with the community 30 gallon.

Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

I would start at 7 days probably do 10, from the last spot you can see, then reduce the temp 2 degrees each day until the temp you want to stay at. The above says 2 weeks which would be alright too.

```````````````````````````````````````

Today found that there was a mini overflow problem on the Edge 12G PRL tank apparently the way I put in the mineral tile in the out flow of the HOB, was not only causing the water to splash louder than it should but was contributing to an over flow of drips causing a couple quarts of water to puddle on the flow over night. Because the filter needed a clean too I guess.

Moved the back column of the tank and cleaned all the filter parts and pre-filter sponge. It seems all day now that there is no further leaking. Pleasant good morning surprise :rolleyes:

Ended up removing additional duckweed in that tank and doing another 20% pwc.

Topped off all the rest of the tanks and a little more in the pond too.

During the snow day cleaning found my missing bottom intake for the new and set to go but never started AC 110 from back at Christmas. Never turned it on because of the missing part. So have to move a plug and start her up! It is just sitting there waiting! Still thinking about whether to change over the 72G to the 90G (sitting in the garage). With the 2 filters, FX-5 and the AC 110 It will be around 900GPH+ filtration. I just need to figure out how to run the extra FX-5 sitting in the utility closet to seed the media!!!

Thinking of doing a tank swap this next weekend, maybe. Maybe just getting it in the house and set up the wiring.

Still looking for the perfect SW used tank, still no luck!

Autumnsky 02-24-2018 12:33 AM

Too icy and cold to be messing with the big tank this weekend.

Brought home 15 more $1. Neons from Pet**art big box. The employee there is really sweet, and said she has missed me visiting and thought I had dropped of the face of the earth!, lol. Told her that I didn't need any more fish, hahahaha!

That was all they had. Sale ends the 27th maybe. Neons lasted alright through the 2 night 5G bucket test with heater and air zero dead. Fed some dewormer this time to start them out.

We shall see how it progresses. Planning their filter clean and pwc this weekend. Lots of brown algae in the tank as there is a lot of light shining through the bare bottom of the tank 24 hrs a day from the SW macroalgae tank. Maybe a chunk of cardboard under it.

Still did not locate a new to me SW tank.

Tmaier posted a pic on another thread about shrimp and made me think of my first shrimp, a pair, here is one of them that lasted awhile, one did not last very long. Was a shrimp newb back in early 2012 It has been a long road. :angel:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...cture36790.jpg

TMaier 02-24-2018 01:29 AM

Good luck with those Neons! I havenít lost any of the last 20 I got and still totally amazed. Hope my shrimp will be as pretty as your were.

Autumnsky 02-24-2018 02:20 AM

:)
This group seems less delicate. It could be the time of the year, the summer ones were baaaad. If they survive I will have around 75 Neons.

TMaier 02-26-2018 01:29 PM

Taking a day off today. Canister cleaning for the Khuliís tank and the Nursery. I like to take care of them monthly. I have pretty easy access to them and usually replace the funkiest sponge and rinse the biomedia well.

Delapool 02-26-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3491159)
Good luck with those Neons! I havenít lost any of the last 20 I got and still totally amazed. Hope my shrimp will be as pretty as your were.

Wow - great going! Such a pretty fish but given up on them here.

TMaier 02-27-2018 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think theyíre pretty. Attachment 307436

Angellove78 02-27-2018 10:14 AM

Well! Today is the day I go to the wild side. Flipping my tank to real plants. This will take a few days, cause I'm still waiting on a few things. But the biggest part will be done today. I'm pretty excited after doing alot of research on most plants, picked out some I want. But, I might loss one. (Alternanthera reineckii) Bought it not realizing its a high light plant, the seller listed it as easy to care for. So, we'll see what I can do to keep it alive without Co2. OK! Game on! I'll update on here and my post of flipping my tank. Hope it all works out.

V227 02-27-2018 11:31 AM

I'm sure you'll do just fine with your planted tank, Angel. For what it's worth, I kept a tank full of Java Fern, Java Moss and various Anubias for years, without the use of special lighting, fertilizers or Co2.
I purposely over stocked the tank a little, and only changed about 25% - 35% of the water once a week, in order to allow the fish to naturally fertilize the tank. Looking forward to your updates.

Angellove78 02-27-2018 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here's the start! Changed out the gravel to eco complete did a 50-60% water change. She's pretty clear I was as careful as I could be to not stir up everything. Got a little cloudy but the water change kicked it. Once I get more of my plants and my fertilizers the castle will most likely be coming out. This tank will eventually be all plants, rocks, and driftwood. But this will work for now. Attachment 307446 the Java ferns I got are not in the greatest shape but, I'll be trimming all the tall ones for the new growth to get bigger. And getting some kinda floating plants to cover some of the light to them. Everything will be moved around as I get more but I don't wanta move my red. They don't like to be moved. I'll be trimming from that one and just adding them where ever they look good. We are now on the flip side. Lol!

Delapool 02-27-2018 04:22 PM

Good luck on the Alternanthera reineckii - I could get slow growth out of it but it never seemed to like my tank. Did ok but GSA got to lower leaves eventually. Seemed to hang onto lower leaves for a long time (compared to hygro which seemed to drop lower leaves the moment it was unhappy with anything).

Angellove78 02-27-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delapool (Post 3491769)
Good luck on the Alternanthera reineckii - I could get slow growth out of it but it never seemed to like my tank. Did ok but GSA got to lower leaves eventually. Seemed to hang onto lower leaves for a long time (compared to hygro which seemed to drop lower leaves the moment it was unhappy with anything).

Yeah, when I got it there was lots of algae on the bottom leaves. I trimmed off the bottom leaves that had it really bad. It's got nice roots though. And it's branching. Thanks for the luck I know I'll need it for that one.

Autumnsky 02-27-2018 11:24 PM

This is a sampling of the cute little guys.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71766.jpg

The Neons in QT went into the 72G. I counted 23 this time As I netted and put them in the tank!!!

I also bought 30 more today feeling that since today is the shipment arrival date they might die. Added some Aquarium salt and Epsom salts to help them ease into the new environment. Thinking on doing a few feedings of live foods to help them get healthier, I did that with the last batch.

Will give them a feeding of dewormer flakes too in the evening and do a water change afterwards to keep the water as clean as possible for them.

They are in the heated bubbling 5G bucket for the overnight test. Might add a couple strips of bulk filter pad too as it is seeded with carbon bits and also gives some sense of security to hide in it.

Fingers crossed that the New batch of Neons will do alright.

More PRL Shrimp - a nice adult and a couple of good looking little fry.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71765.jpg

Adult and little and medium babies
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71760.jpg

TMaier 03-01-2018 07:41 PM

Got laid off today after 17 years. Thank goodness my fish are so supportive and understanding.

Fresh2o 03-01-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3492122)
Got laid off today after 17 years. Thank goodness my fish are so supportive and understanding.

Sorry to hear about this. Yes, fish can be therapeutic.

Barliman 03-01-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delapool (Post 3491678)
Wow - great going! Such a pretty fish but given up on them here.

I had a terrible experience with the neons I bought at a big-name chain store (lost 6 of 7 in the first week), but the neons I bought from my LFS have been real troopers.

Autumnsky 03-02-2018 12:47 AM

Neon report here... from the 30 6 have died. The rest seem to look better than yesterday and better than the night before!

Will be heading out tomorrow for a couple on off valves for my 90G tank's overflow. Whether or not I go with a sump, I need those if nothing else, to plug the hoses.

Buying about 17 pounds of SW rock tomorrow, new, unused in a tank, from someones excess from CL - 14 LBS. Plus a rather large table rock. That will be 2 table rocks I will have. Wondering if I will get a special tank yet, or end up just using something I already have.

Think I will PROBABLY use the 90G as a FW tank, I would like to get it up and running if so to make sure it is stable before adding a bunch of Angels. I would like to have my 100 Neons in the 72G with the black background to really show them off. Move over a bunch of DW and some plants to get a nice broad open space.

Maybe a big shoal of Cories in the 90G bowfront tank. Angels DW and leaf litter.

Maybe the 72G will keep Neons with a bunch of striped Kuhlis, and the small bullied Angel. Not a chance the small Angel would be eating Neons. The large Angels are really getting BIG!

Still having a hard time making up my mind...about 7 months of that 90G sitting in the garage! ugh!

Autumnsky 03-03-2018 11:04 AM

Went to CAS club meeting and came home with 3 young SAE for $5, SW a fighting conch, and 2 - 3" around monster sized Mexican Turbo snails. Literally fill the palm of the hand. All 3 for another $5.

Plus I sold 6 bags of excess plants and gave away a gallon bag of Wisteria to friend with the finance's turtle. Gave them some turtle Repashy and got the killer Angelfish back to find a new home for at the club. I just didn't have a place for her.

Acclimated both and put the snails in the Chaetomorpha pod tank. Did a 70% pwc on it for the general well being of the snails. Since they are huge they should eat the algae from the 24 hour light's pretty fast! Pressure is on to up size the SW now because of 2 snails, lol.

After arriving back home at about 11 pm - was informed that to accomplish a new electric line to the back yerd the electrician needs me to move my 72G tank at least 3 feet away from the wall. A bulk head arch is above where the wire will be routed.

Sounds like a good time to consider hauling in the 90G to see how it looks.

Also yesterday on the way to the meeting stopped at a nice Reef store and bought new pods and phytoplankton. I guess Friday is bogo for that.

Priced some all in one tanks and for the cost, wasn't sure why one was nearly $600 32G innovative marine and the other $400 28G coral if biocube. Not my budget really, I rather get a like new one used for $100-150. Oddly the fish guys could tell me the differences as they are not always stocked there. The IM tank was brand new that day to them.

Big water change for the 72G so I can move it. Maybe the QT also. Didn't lose any more Neons yesterday and has added some additional Epsom salts to the tank the night before. So hoping I can keep the rest alive.

Oh and picked up my CL box of SW rocks and bag of sw sand. Rocks a bit smaller than I envisioned. But will be fine for a rubble pile for pods to grow.

You know - not busy, just don't have anything going on here in tankland! :lol:

TMaier 03-03-2018 09:23 PM

Omg you have snails! New snails! need some pics!!!

Autumnsky 03-04-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3492477)
Omg you have snails! New snails! need some pics!!!

They are SW snails. Hoping they will stay alive. They came from the Club President. He had a bucket of Live rock, a bucket with some Live rock with Palythoa colony (no thank you Paly toxin poisoning - that's what I say, lol) and the snail trio. Out bid for the LR bucket - darn.

Novella part 2
anyway...

LONG day in Tankland.

So much stuff moving around today. Moved the 72G out 5' away as to avoid people and drills and drywall dust flying into it. Unplugged everything and got it back into order again.

Had to drain it down to 7-8 inches of water remove the heavy FX-5 so it could "slide" over, thank you engineered pretend wood floor.

And 2 chairs and the couch and the tables and toys and tables and 5G water bottles and the 46G tank and move over the 29G stand and SW macroalgae tank in the 2 level stand. And unplug all of those things and untangle /wrestle all the mixed up wires on 2 strip plugs for 2 outlets, and put away all the foods and supplies still in the cabinet of the 46G into a tote.

Spilled about a gallon of water out of the FX-5 when I forgot to turn the valve to the off position, but hey, there's a nice clean spot. Already had towels ready - but they were in the other room still - oopsy.

Clean all around in the back the walls and floor and sides of tanks I never see. Much...

Had some assistance and got the 90G tank out of the garage next to the door. Totally forgot the overflow has extended pipes which are a few inches below the cabinet so I couldn't do the leak test sitting flat on the cement with towels and a blanket, then put the tank onto the stand, vacuumed out all the 1/4 inch of loose SW sand which was white.

Before I could think about it someone was being helpful and started filling the tank which I caught and stopped maybe .5" - just before it started to overflow through those pipes into the cabinet!!! No on / off ball valves, just open 5/8ths ID tubes. I had tried 3 SW lfs previously to get some, but no one had them.

Tried the 2 big box hardware stores and got a big nothin! Will try Ace, and on last hope a hardware/supply store in Boulder which has everything.

The electrician came a couple hours later than I had expected, was only told after noon. So the plants started to dry out exposed without water so i strayed them but decided to put wet paper towels over every thing exposed.

Was nearly out of the tiny bottle of Prime, and needed more so went to the lfs big box store and they had Bamboo/Flower shrimp!!! Expensive little buggers, at 11.99 each but I got 2 decent looking ones. 30 day guarantee - if I could even find the body, yeah right. Used my secret santa gift card I got from work exchange. Thank you Secret Santa!

Got back home and after getting a bunch of things cooked for dinner and situated, started moving everything back into place, their new places.

The old AC 110 stopped working and had to clean it out and bump the impeller a few times before it kept going. It is getting rattley, and the housing is cracked in several places too and it is likely going to just need to be replaced very soon.

Bamboo shrimp look a bit like they have some ammonia burns on their feeders, hoping they heal quickly.

omgg there was so much stuff to move, exhausted.

Took a couple pics but will need to load them. Later :blink:

Thank you for listening /reading ;)

Autumnsky 03-06-2018 02:25 AM

Neons are all alive still, so very happy about that. One SAE still looks fine. Did not get to do any other tank stuff except a light feeding.

Autumnsky 03-10-2018 03:20 AM

Neons seem good and the Bamboo shrimp in the 72G are still alive and filter feeding like troopers!

Going shopping to look at tanks tomorrow and to a few stores (2 I haven't ever been to, and hoping to a store was only at one time)!

TMaier 03-10-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3493605)
Neons seem good and the Bamboo shrimp in the 72G are still alive and filter feeding like troopers!

Going shopping to look at tanks tomorrow and to a few stores (2 I haven't ever been to, and hoping to a store was only at one time)!

Hey wait a minute! I thought you were reducing your tank count?

Good news on your new additions.