Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Alyxx 10-01-2012 06:00 PM

Water change on my 56 gallon.

aaronjohn20 10-01-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello aaron...

I have Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron and Nephthytis. I make a large, retangular pocket of plastic netting attached to long bamboo sticks. The netting is secured by plastic twist ties. Simple to lay the frame across the top of the tank and emerse the plant root ball into the tank water. The leaves are held above the water by the netting. There's no substrate needed.

All the potting mixture must be rinsed off the roots before putting the roots into the tank water or the plant will die. The roots take in the nutrients from the fish waste and balance the water chemistry.

I keep the standard HOB filters to filter the tank water at night when the plants slow their filtration work. The filters keep the water moving through the plant roots, so there's a constant source of nourishment for the plants. The leaves grow with the long hours of low light and CO2 from the air circulating in the room.

The great thing about the plants, they require only ambient "room light". I have some pole lamps I leave on 12 hours a day and the plants are thriving. I may have some pics I can post if you're interested.

B

Sounds awesome. Thank you for getting back with me on it but I think the wife would kill me if I was to do something like that lol

eduguy 10-01-2012 07:56 PM

My guppy died. He had ich, fin rot. I had to flush him down the toilet because he was going through lots of pain likely because he was swimming upside down almost on the ground. :( :(

Coel 10-01-2012 08:03 PM

Today was 20% on the nano and the 55 and started breaking down the 38 to prep for the sw conversion

Terrance 10-02-2012 01:33 AM

75% late water change for the puffer tanks today.

46g half way done cycling. I'm looking around craigslist for used Reef Octopus skimmers and cheap aquafuges.

My mom gave me a yellow canary. I named him Fred. Fred is now the puffer's new roommate.

aaronjohn20 10-02-2012 03:20 AM

Fed all tanks. Not sure how many peoples been following along but I have a 10g fry tank in my room with fry in it. I put the mamas in there and let them give birth then back to the community tank they go. Well I was checking out my community tank today and something caught my eye back by the fake plants. Low and behold, a fry! Didn't look like my moon fry so I'm unsure what it is at this point. But I think my betta is fry hunting cause he's never back there but was today after I spotted the fry

Wroberson 10-02-2012 03:37 PM

I spent the last couple of hours removing plants from their pots. So far all the plants have great root systems. 1 anubias had a great root system, but the rhizome was about 1/8 of an inch. I replanted it with the rhizome above the gravel. It has no leaves. I still have 8 plants that need to come out of their containers. I did some landscaping and moved taller plants to the back. With all the roots now in the substrate they should get more nutrients.

shellyx 10-02-2012 06:40 PM

Partial clean on my 55, algae scrubbed, cleaned impeller & re arranged my decor. :)

Tetra1990 10-06-2012 11:26 AM

Woke up to find a Cory cat had passed away. Thank goodness for a 14 day guarantee.

Athaocity 10-06-2012 11:33 AM

I partially started derimming the ten gallon. going to buy a mini saw to cut off the plastic soon.

DragonFish71 10-06-2012 12:35 PM

Finally started cycling my new shrimp tank. Got the plants in. Now just need to set up the decor the way I want it and let it do it's thing.

foster53 10-06-2012 02:33 PM

Water changed two tanks, cleaned two filters(not on the same tank). Replaced the ballast in one light. That makes 3 ballasts in 6 months. My equipment is getting old:(

Aqualady40 10-06-2012 02:38 PM

Today I test water parameters on my 55g which is in its 5th week of fish-in cycling, did a large PWC to lower nitrites (5.0), retest and they were between 0-0.25...

I test the water parameters on my 40B which is in its 1st week of fish-less cycling, my ammo is still at 4.0, did nothing

Andrew McFadden 10-06-2012 02:53 PM

Cleaned the 10g, filter, separated plants, put in root tabs and water change.
50% water change on 180, organized the plants in sump by type and added all the cuttings from the other tank. Also cleaned one filter on it :)

Samzter 10-06-2012 03:36 PM

Sold some platies and dwarf Gouramis . Tomorrow got a guy coming for guppies and platies.

Oceangirl 10-06-2012 09:45 PM

1 Dollar per gallon SALE! PETCO til 10/20/

Select Aqueon Aquariums
Save up to $74.99
https://akimages.shoplocal.com/dyn_li...seA_cmb_12.JPG
View Larger Image
Starting at $10.00
with Pals card
Valid Sep. 30 - Oct. 20
https://petco.shoplocal.com/petco/images/petco/Add.gif

Includes 10G, 20L and 40G tanks. Décor, screen tops and lighting not included.
Lowest prices of the year! Biggest tank sale of the year for your small animal, fish or reptile!
$1 per gallon tank sale

Show other PETCO locations where this is featured.

View All Items from this page in your Local Ad.

offer good till 10/20!:fish2:

Ryleyman 10-06-2012 10:55 PM

Bought a @#% load of new plants some cichlid food,fry food and some stuff to help my plants grow! Ohhhh and a snail;)

Convict2161 10-06-2012 10:59 PM

Just did a 50% water change on my 75 gallon African Cichlid tank and a 5 gallon water change on my BC29.

Wroberson 10-06-2012 11:15 PM

30% water change. Water test.

And,

I went out to get some shrimp for I ran out and lo and behold, there was a sale on rainbow fish. I picked up 2 turquoise for $3.50 each, and 1 Dennison Barb also 1/2 price for $4.04. I also got the shrimp. Was thinking about another Bosemani Rainbow for $5.00, but they were all female and ichy.

Fed the fish...

Zactheninja 10-06-2012 11:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled out a molt from my cleaner shrimp, went to my normal lfs stores and got 3 nice corals.
First is frogspawn, second is a leather, 3rd is a dying pipe coral I got and a piece of the leather that feel off (guess I could say I fragged today huh? Lol)

Terrance 10-07-2012 02:07 AM

I did 75% water change for both my puffer tanks. Really love relaxing in my fish room and playing my guitar.

46g still cycling. I already see the clowns that I want at the lfs.

aaronjohn20 10-07-2012 10:22 AM

Fed all fish in the 46g bf, 20g, and 10g. Added a gold ram and 5 ghost shrimp to my 46g bf community tank. My lfs had a sale going on. Any fish under $10 was half off so my ram only cost $4. I was an hr late on getting another gbr cause someone come in and bought all 5 of them. O, and one of the ghost shrimps was berried with eggs. 2 of the shrimps were eatin within 2 minutes by one of my angels.

shellyx 10-07-2012 06:24 PM

Partial clean on my 55, set up my 60litre bought new sand & plants, did another 50% clean as the water was cloudy then later added my betta & snails he's in his glory! :)

Alyxx 10-07-2012 07:20 PM

Fed everyone and I'll probably do some water changes later once I get the sink cleared of dishes. I feel like I'm coming down with something so I'd rather get everything done early before I get too sick to feel like moving.

Oceangirl 10-07-2012 07:35 PM

Lots water changes...

Did a 3 gallon water change on a fry tank (10 gallon)
Did a almost 100 water change on a 20 high to get rid of Clout in the tank
Did a 12-13 gallon water change on the 29 gallon.

1. Added 2 albino cories to the 29, temporarily waiting on the 20 high to cycle.They were on sale Petsmart
  2. Got a few molly fry for free for the fry tank, threw them in with the Guppy Fry
  3. Received one mystery cory as a special prize. He was the last one in the tank and the new girl gave him to me for 1.74.
REALLY WANT GLOFISH! But I don't have a lid yet and they are jumpers.

Scrubbed out my filter looks like algae was trying to grow there!

foster53 10-07-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx (Post 2148253)
Fed everyone and I'll probably do some water changes later once I get the sink cleared of dishes. I feel like I'm coming down with something so I'd rather get everything done early before I get too sick to feel like moving.

Thats dedication. Taking care of the fish, even when your ill. Thats a sign of a true aquarist:thumb:

Tetra1990 10-07-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceangirl
Did a 3 gallon water change on a fry tank (10 gallon)
Did a almost 100 water change on a 20 high to get rid of Clout in the tank
Did a 12-13 gallon water change on the 29 gallon.

[*]Added 2 albino cories to the 29, temporarily waiting on the 20 high to cycle.They were on sale Petsmart[*]Got a few molly fry for free for the fry tank, threw them in with the Guppy Fry[*]Received one mystery cory as a special prize. He was the last one in the tank and the new girl gave him to me for 1.74.

REALLY WANT GLOFISH! But I don't have a lid yet and they are jumpers.

Scrubbed out my filter looks like algae was trying to grow there!

I love fish that are on sale!!

bigbanker 10-09-2012 12:38 PM

Added a peacock eel and rescued an oto from the sump!

bigbanker 10-09-2012 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My eel and his home

Attachment 123874

Attachment 123875

Convict2161 10-09-2012 10:04 PM

Just did another 50% water change on my 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank. I was bored and figured it can't hurt.

kjacks 10-10-2012 02:53 PM

Did water change n cleaned gravel n 10g.. ordered sand ,api master deluxe water tester kit , omega one seaweed and some decor from petco while its on sale with free shippin..

Jess1ca 10-10-2012 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did nothing but watch fish today :) everyone got a wc yesterday. I was feeling ambitious so I rescaped my 55g found a lonesome fry that got ate up quick after I moved his house :/ didn't know he was in there :( today I get my package from BRS! Yay!

DTurner 10-10-2012 03:39 PM

I am putting a glass top on my 20 gallon because i had a fish jump the other day. I am also going to be dosing the chemiclean that I purchase as well because I have a cyano breakout and I have tries everything I could. I cut light back. I vacuumed the tank. I lessened food but it still comes back. I am hoping this works.

shellyx 10-14-2012 11:56 AM

Did a 50% clean on my bettas tank, while moving his new driftwood I found 3inch pink worm! My betta tried too eat it yuck! I netted it out haven't a clue what it was. Then while checking my 55 I noticed my pearl had a hair hanging out his mouth so I had to net him to take it out, I wonder what I,ll find in my tanks tomorrow? :)

Aqualady40 10-14-2012 12:01 PM

Today I have test water parameters on my 55g that I am currently in the days of confirming that I am cycled...yeahhh....so far results are confirming that I am. I also drained a little bit of water from it so I could add my DW centerpiece (finally). On my 40B, I am fish-less cycling so I test ammo and it is still @ 2.0 and has been for 5 days now.

Wroberson 10-14-2012 04:06 PM

I turned the lights lights on about 25 minutes ago. Watched as water evaporated. Ran a visual check of the entire tank. Checked the temperature. Work needs to be done, but not today. I have to work in 2 hours and was going to do everything tomorrow.

Here's a list:
Water Change and top off
Remove dead leaves
Trim last emersed leaves from plants
Mourn loss of Assassin snail
Clean front glass
Remove a few algae streaks from last cleaning
Remove and clean glass tops

DragonFish71 10-14-2012 04:43 PM

Water changes and finally got around to planting/decorating my new tank. Pics to come.

bobofishman 10-14-2012 04:48 PM

Change my tanks around. I am adding sand instead of gravel and I want to put my peacock ciclids in with my 2big tinfoils

Oceangirl 10-14-2012 07:28 PM

Saturday:
Test the 29 gal, apparently I am in mini cycle. Don't know why Did a 17 gallon water change on accident. I got distracted. :brows:
Did a 75% on the 20 high, looking a little yuck. Added a nice piece mature of filter media to get the party started.

Sunday:
Woke up to a dead fish in 20 high. Returned fish, did another 50% PWC on the 20 high, added a filter squeezing of about 3 good cups of filter umm milk from mature tank.

Did a 3 gallon change on the 29, needed water from that for my fry tank.
Did a 4ish gallon water change on the 10 gallon fry.
Dropped an air stone in and added a heater to 10 gallon as well.

Platy dropped her fry only have one survivor. pretty color though.

Anyone have any good directions on how to make a sponge filter? I have filter pad, air stone, check valve. No tubing lying around though.

aaronjohn20 10-14-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceangirl
Saturday:
Test the 29 gal, apparently I am in mini cycle. Don't know why Did a 17 gallon water change on accident. I got distracted. :brows:
Did a 75% on the 20 high, looking a little yuck. Added a nice piece mature of filter media to get the party started.

Sunday:
Woke up to a dead fish in 20 high. Returned fish, did another 50% PWC on the 20 high, added a filter squeezing of about 3 good cups of filter umm milk from mature tank.

Did a 3 gallon change on the 29, needed water from that for my fry tank.
Did a 4ish gallon water change on the 10 gallon fry.
Dropped an air stone in and added a heater to 10 gallon as well.

Platy dropped her fry only have one survivor. pretty color though.

Anyone have any good directions on how to make a sponge filter? I have filter pad, air stone, check valve. No tubing lying around though.

I bought mine on amazon for like 4 or 5 dollars

aaronjohn20 10-15-2012 02:13 AM

75% pwc on the 46g bf community tank. Found a variatus fry and put it in my fry tank with the white/orange, orange mickey mouse moons and my 1 guppy fry. I knew he was in there but only seen him once, then while I was doing the water change he come out and was exploring Redosed api aquarium salt. And got rid of my red tail black shark. He was harrassing all 3 of my rams. Not gonna let him stress 8-13$ fish. Had to take my big ship out just to be able to catch him cause everytime I tried he went and hid in it

Wroberson 10-15-2012 06:00 PM

Currently doing a 30% water change. Added a Red New Guinea Rainbow fish. He's a male and flashed his stripe when I rubbed my nose. It's yellow. We are going to get along just fine. Nothing like having a trained goldfish. He should have a mate. It depands on if he can outshine the other males in the tank for the affection of the female New Guinea Rainbow. She's kind of greenish and was sold as an Emerald Rainbow. $13.00 I couldn't afford. He has finally settled down and is swimming around.

kjacks 10-16-2012 10:48 PM

I was busy busy today i got all my new stuff n for my 55g african cichlid tank so i added 60lbs of eco complete african cichlid sand , rock caves , filled it up .. waitin for the cloudness to clear up so i can actually set it up the way i want it ...

RickkyBobby 10-16-2012 11:59 PM

well, ive been putting together my 65 gallon saltwater tank since July.. im waiting on live rock and sand right now... so tonight filled it up with water to check for leaks make sure my stand was ok before i put in rock and sand..

Anyway, as i was filling the tank , about 3/4 full at this time, i went in the other room.. The next thing i knew the condo starting shaking,windows rattling, i had no idea what the hell was going on..Felt like a train just ran thru my place.. I thought maybe the stand was collapsing..glass ready to break, i had No clue.. Well it was a 4.6 earthquake right here in New England... The funny thing is i was more worried about the tank that ive spent months and tons of money on, than anything else :D

Terrance 10-17-2012 01:16 AM

Added Java moss and lace Java fern to my fahaka tank. Hopefully the he wont tear up these plants. Also received my bottle of seachem excel today, so the plants will do even better and grow over my decor in no time.

Alyxx 10-17-2012 09:13 PM

Yesterday I set up my little 1.5 gallon tank to start growing some mangrove seedlings I ordered. Put some potting soil down, capped it with gravel, filled it with saltwater and then I set up a desk lamp with a cfl to shine on it. Pretty good little setup, I thought. Then today, the mystery snail egg clutch I ordered from someone came in and I facepalmed because I was planning on using it to hatch those and grow the babies out a little. It totally slipped my mind. So now the eggs are in a cup with a tiny amount of tank water at the bottom until I can get something else set up. They're hatching already, though!

Impolite 10-17-2012 09:24 PM

Did a water change in the 55 gallon catfish tank

kjacks 10-17-2012 09:42 PM

Added filters to the 55g since the sand settled n im waitin to move the rock caves around

54seaweed 10-17-2012 09:44 PM

pulled out my dieing flower pot
did a water change
than went shopping

came home with 2 nice rocks that I paid $75. for

the first one is what I replaced my flower pot with

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...ab6e1c39c2.jpg

this is the other rock

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...c19a2d936a.jpg
than I had to rearrange everything to make room for all the new corals I have just ordered from my reef to yours

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...12de1a6e56.jpg

also got 2 new power heads
new test kit
tub of salt

now I just placed a order with R2G for more feeders
brine
myssis shrimp
pods
also some macros
and my replacement fish

I'll add more picts when it all comes

I was tempted to get a 60 gal breeder today at petco might go back tomorrow and get it
Its a buck a gallon

abstract373 10-17-2012 09:47 PM

panic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! power outage transformer blew up down the street .....................thank god for backup batteries

cbourg746 10-17-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx
Yesterday I set up my little 1.5 gallon tank to start growing some mangrove seedlings I ordered. Put some potting soil down, capped it with gravel, filled it with saltwater and then I set up a desk lamp with a cfl to shine on it. Pretty good little setup, I thought. Then today, the mystery snail egg clutch I ordered from someone came in and I facepalmed because I was planning on using it to hatch those and grow the babies out a little. It totally slipped my mind. So now the eggs are in a cup with a tiny amount of tank water at the bottom until I can get something else set up. They're hatching already, though!

I have a spare 10g you can have. It has a light and hood. You can run to Wally World and get a cheap filter.

Alyxx 10-18-2012 05:43 PM

Added more newly hatched mystery snails to my tank and noticed that my own mystery snails have laid a clutch in the tank. Looks like my 20 is getting thrown back up as a snail tank! My puffers will have food forever! And I'll have something to trade in at my LFS.

Alyxx 10-18-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbourg746

I have a spare 10g you can have. It has a light and hood. You can run to Wally World and get a cheap filter.

Awesome! Pm me

CichlidSensai 10-18-2012 06:14 PM

It's Thursday which = water test and change + football!! After completed the guys get a nice bloodworm treat! I swear its like crack to these fish!!!

54seaweed 10-18-2012 06:40 PM

just sat around admiring all my hard work yesterday
it paid off https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...d0d19981e7.jpg

kjacks 10-18-2012 09:48 PM

Woke up tank was sti cloudy added a small amount of fish flakes to help my cycle then figured i would test my adjustable heater so i know i dont boil my fish once i add them.. turns out once i got home from work the tank cleared up n i had my water perfect temp... ::thumbs::

umramgirl86 10-19-2012 12:34 AM

I did partial water changes in my freshwater tank and betta tank and started a 4 gallon shrimp tank!

MyR6Rocks 10-19-2012 12:48 AM

Fed both tanks & "made" saltwater for Sundays water change

pcdebb 10-19-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed
just sat around admiring all my hard work yesterday
it paid off

Hey that's a purty tank there

George9 10-20-2012 01:00 AM

Scrubbed algae! Only one more month til pressurized co2 lol

bloodlucky 10-20-2012 01:14 AM

Today I didn't do much, I fed my fish bloodworms and watched my fry gobble up a lot of them. Tomorrow I'm gonna do water changes in both my tanks and clip some plantlets off my java fern

stingrays4 10-20-2012 03:57 PM

Today i spring cleaned my five footer,and rearranged some bogwood and flooded the floor at the same time:eek: I really should have made sure the pipe was fitted better :banghead: so got a nice squelchy carpet now:hide:

kjacks 10-20-2012 06:25 PM

Moved around my rock caves still not sure what im gonna do with them n played around with the heater adjusting it n makin sure i know how it works before i add fish but im gettin tired of a fishless tank so im gonna buckle down n set it up so i can get fish this week hopefully..

Digital Deviant 10-20-2012 06:41 PM

Vacuumed the sand, 30% water change cleaned the pre filter pads, and fitted a reflector to my lights. My Malawi's have never looked so good!

54seaweed 10-20-2012 08:50 PM

did 50% water change in fresh water tank

Terrance 10-21-2012 02:04 AM

Did 75% water change for my puffer tanks. My fahaka has not torn up my Java moss and lace fern yet. I will add red cherry shrimp to the sump.

My 46g has finished cycling. Now I just need to pick up the fish next week.

kjacks 10-21-2012 10:45 AM

Did pwc on the 10g n finally aquascaped my 55g so i can start gettin my fish this week .. of course i did all the normal stuff to fed fish n check my levels etc etc etc..

Oceangirl 10-21-2012 02:38 PM

Did a 50 % on my 20 high, then tested Still High Nitrites, Not as cycled as I though :ermm:, Going to do another water change again today. Still depressed from losing my job on friday. Most likely high levels in my tanks because I waited a little long to do them from the stress. My hubby and I got new fish, glofish on sale @ petmart till end of today. 2.99 Vs 5.99 per fish. Going to go change the water on my 29, clean my 10 gallon guppy tank. They all died for some unknown reason, and the 6 that survived are in my 29 in a breeder net.
Well off to do chores.

Digital Deviant 10-21-2012 03:15 PM

Did yet another PWC and added a bit of decor to the tank. I WILL win this algae fight!!!

BBradbury 10-21-2012 05:14 PM

Six Months w/ No Large Water Changes

Hello All...

Emersed another Aglaonema land plant in one of my tanks. Have a dozen large plants in that tank. Water very clear, no visible algae. Ammonia and nitrites must be at "0" and nitrates low. Noticed a dozen or so new, "Livebearer" fry in the tank. Corydoras in the tank are very active in the low light, so water must be extremely clean.

Tank running 6 mos. with water changes at 2 gallons weekly just to service two mid sized HOBs. Filtration at 400 gallons per hour (gph) in a 45 G tall. Good aquatic plant growth in spite of the high oxygen environment required for the emersed plants.

Interesting how floating certain land plants in the tank will keep the water chemistry totally stable with very little new water added.

B

aaronjohn20 10-21-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Hello All...

Emersed another Aglaonema land plant in one of my tanks. Have a dozen large plants in that tank. Water very clear, no visible algae. Ammonia and nitrites must be at "0" and nitrates low. Noticed a dozen or so new, "Livebearer" fry in the tank. Corydoras in the tank are very active in the low light, so water must be extremely clean.

Tank running 6 mos. with water changes at 2 gallons weekly just to service two mid sized HOBs. Filtration at 400 gallons per hour (gph) in a 45 G tall. Good aquatic plant growth in spite of the high oxygen environment required for the emersed plants.

Interesting how floating certain land plants in the tank will keep the water chemistry totally stable with very little new water added.

B

So all u do is float the palnt in the water? Do you float just the roots or what? Would love some more insight into this

Slade 10-21-2012 08:20 PM

Went to Leslies Pool and bought a bag of PFS. Changed substrate on my two 10 gallon grow-out tanks during PWC today. I rinsed it outside before adding, then waited about 3 hours before restarting my filters. Covered the filter intake with nylon stocking just to be safe. Water isn't that cloudy at all. What a difference - I should have done this sooner.

BBradbury 10-21-2012 08:48 PM

Hello aaron...

I just remove the plant from the pot and rinse all the potting soil from the roots. The roots must be cleaned off to be exposed to the tank water. The roots are aerated with aquarium tubing attached to an air pump. The pump moves the water through the plant roots and the roots take in the dissolved ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from the fish waste, and faster than the good bacteria.

I use the HOBs for the period at night, when the land plants slow their filtering work. Then the good bacteria takes over when the tank and room lights go out.

The land plants only require ambient (room) light and a food source, the fish waste. The roots stay under the water, with the leaves above to take in light and CO2 from the air in the room.

A simple coop between fish and plants and I have a tank with a balanced water chemistry and very minimal water changes.

B

Peteostler43614 10-21-2012 10:05 PM

Today was pretty boring in my tank.... Just waiting and watching my corydora. Hopefully he will get some new roommates this week.....

aaronjohn20 10-21-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Hello aaron...

I just remove the plant from the pot and rinse all the potting soil from the roots. The roots must be cleaned off to be exposed to the tank water. The roots are aerated with aquarium tubing attached to an air pump. The pump moves the water through the plant roots and the roots take in the dissolved ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from the fish waste, and faster than the good bacteria.

I use the HOBs for the period at night, when the land plants slow their filtering work. Then the good bacteria takes over when the tank and room lights go out.

The land plants only require ambient (room) light and a food source, the fish waste. The roots stay under the water, with the leaves above to take in light and CO2 from the air in the room.

A simple coop between fish and plants and I have a tank with a balanced water chemistry and very minimal water changes.

B

So I have to have an airstone underneath the roots? And can it be any land plant?

San Raphael Catfish 10-22-2012 12:03 AM

ordered 3 pounds of activated charcoal and fed my fish.

SRC <><

Tetra1990 10-22-2012 09:42 PM

My water changes on both tanks were a few days behind, I feel so guilty. But this thing called a job wants more hours. As much as I don't care much for this job thing, without it, I can't support my addiction;)

San Raphael Catfish 10-22-2012 09:44 PM

I bought the wrong kind of plants. Pet Smart had peacock fern in their fish section. Put them in the tank anyway, and the silver dollars are happily eating them.

Tetra1990 10-22-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
I bought the wrong kind of plants. Pet Smart had peacock fern in their fish section. Put them in the tank anyway, and the silver dollars are happily eating them.

Gotta have a good diet lol. Sorry bout your plants.

Digital Deviant 10-23-2012 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did another 30% water change and fitted a TMC Flexiblue for night time viewing!

Zimmanski 10-23-2012 04:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I added an old unused filter filled with plants, then today I added the marine land red LED bubble wall! I also added more sand and rearranged the plants three days ago, it's been a fun week for me!!

clark4feathers 10-23-2012 05:29 PM

Seahorse tank

I got a quick lesson on dealing with a sick seahorse. Fresh water dips :( putting together a hyposalinity tank Adding methyline blue and seachem stablizer, pulling out a filter sponge adding a sponge filter. Removing the charcol and replaced it with filter pads. using the water from the display tank. Replacing that water. :banghead: Trying everything I can possibly do to save this seahorse.

San Raphael Catfish 10-23-2012 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bought a hollowed out log for my eclipse catfish to hide in and my red devil hacked off. The eclipse is hiding and smiling while the red devil is trying to figure how to dig it up or chew a hole through it.

SRC <><

MyR6Rocks 10-23-2012 09:32 PM

Freshwater and salt.

MyR6Rocks 10-23-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyR6Rocks
Freshwater and salt.

*fed both tanks.

54seaweed 10-23-2012 11:47 PM

added new macros to my breeder tank along with pods , brine , mysiss

Aqualady40 10-23-2012 11:52 PM

I did 50% PWC on my 55g. I removed 50% water from my 40B and replaced the it with healthy water from my 55g (glad I did, gave my fishless cycle the bump it needed), moved fishmates to their new home (40B), did 50% pwc on 5g, and did equipment setup for my 20H soon to be planted tank...ahhh so busy today

Aqualady40 10-23-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmanski (Post 2171646)
Last night I added an old unused filter filled with plants, then today I added the marine land red LED bubble wall! I also added more sand and rearranged the plants three days ago, it's been a fun week for me!!

Very beautiful, neat, and clean!:):thumb:

Gboy66 10-24-2012 01:03 AM

Put my hands in it like 8 times today...ugghh. Fallen frags, gluing things, cleaning off coral..

San Raphael Catfish 10-24-2012 02:42 PM

Moved some shelters. Waiting for my charcoal to rebuilt my canister stack. Doing that today when it arrives.

Edit -- Charcoal arrived, rebuilt the media in the cannister. Water is getting all sparkly!

54seaweed 10-25-2012 12:26 AM

added 2nd t-5 fixture
so much more light amazing
should I put the blues in one fixture
whites in the other or should I leave them mixed (white,blue,white,blue) still waiting on my black light

pcdebb 10-25-2012 04:25 AM

Fed my fish some frozen brine shrimp as a treat tonite. They seemed to enjoy that.

kjacks 10-25-2012 10:23 AM

Moved my betta out of his 10g back to his lil cup i originally brought him home n . He is sick. :( i know its not swim bladder bc i have been fasting him since i got him 2 sometimes 3 times a week n i change his diet up daily he doesnt get overfed n its high quality food. Im sendin the hubby after work to grab some meds. Everything i have read on here said it was just from old age for other bettas but he isnt even a year old i got him as a baby n i have had him since mid june or late may. I have tested my water n did a 50% + change on the tank so the others dont get sick if its contagious. I already use api salt. But i changed Neos water n added more salt . He looks soo bad .. :( gonna do another look around for spots or parasites when i get home to make sure i didnt miss something.

Kursed 10-25-2012 10:57 AM

Added a pH buffer.... Then read the pamphlet that said not to use the product with natural plants.... The lady at the pet store said it would be ok... Now I'm worried I need to start from scratch! I'm 3 weeks into my fishless cycle so crossing my fingers!

kjacks 10-26-2012 12:08 PM

Doctorin my poor Neo but he just keeps gettin worse...i thought he was dead this morning but he moved alil .. not sure if i was more upset over him dying or that he was alive.. i know he is suffering n it kills me .. but i dont what else to do i have read and read n read meds arent workin either.. i did his QT water change n added new water with his api salt .. :(

LOD 10-26-2012 12:45 PM

Cleaned the glass and added water to 65 gallon tank ... And water to my 180 gallon saltwater ...

Tetra1990 10-26-2012 06:00 PM

Took out about a gallon bucket full of hornwort from both my tanks. It was getting outta hand fast.

Bubbles0oO 10-26-2012 06:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well too much to say but i went to the LFS and welll.......
Three mystery snails
Attachment 127680

Mystery corys i got for free
Attachment 127681

Panda corys
Attachment 127682

albino long finned brittlenosed pleco baby (2.5 inches)
Attachment 127683

10 more nerties
Attachment 127684

shellyx 10-26-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Well too much to say but i went to the LFS and welll.......
Three mystery snails

Mystery corys i got for free

Panda corys

albino long finned brittlenosed pleco baby (2.5 inches)

10 more nerties

Nice fish & snails! Are your cories arcuatas? Think I,ve seen them at my lfs :).

not-pro 10-26-2012 08:52 PM

I setup a new 10 gallon. I've got a build log going for it!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...pe-230833.html

Today, I haven't done much with my aquariums other than feed my fish and make a note of which tanks I need to change water in tomorrow. :)