Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

patrickriley2010 06-10-2013 01:27 AM

I added a corona bottle to my tank. After burning the crap out of my hands with boiling water !

https://vine.co/v/bLV36mIBxBK/embed

foshizzle11 06-10-2013 01:38 AM

Bought new lava rocks for the 90gal. Bought two black ghost knife fish for our 50gal and treated for ich in the 90gal and setup a quarantine tank to cycle with old stuff from other tanks. Should be good to have a quarantine tank after a second bout with ich.

Oh and stared at the fishies!! Mainly the infected clown loaches, hopefully they live.

bettaowner 06-10-2013 01:56 AM

The knife fish will need a bigger tank when they get older.

Oohitsae 06-10-2013 01:58 AM

Did a huge plant trimming (everything was getting pretty overgrown) and tried to catch all my green dragon bristlenose Juvies in my 10 so I could move them to a larger tank to make room for the starlights coming in on Tuesday.

What a chore!
Now I'm getting ready to see how many of what trimmings I have available to sell...thinking I might do an RAOK with some of the shorter ones

foshizzle11 06-10-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettaowner (Post 2511126)
The knife fish will need a bigger tank when they get older.

Thanks captain obvious. The are 3" long currently.

Paxlerod 06-10-2013 03:58 PM

Oh yea. I fed my fish and did PWC in all my tanks.

smithpants94 06-10-2013 04:27 PM

50% water changes in all da tanks including the new dirted tank for some angels. Keep your eyes peeled in both the planted, cichlid and discussion forum sections to help me out with some tankmates!

shellyx 06-10-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oohitsae (Post 2511128)
Did a huge plant trimming (everything was getting pretty overgrown) and tried to catch all my green dragon bristlenose Juvies in my 10 so I could move them to a larger tank to make room for the starlights coming in on Tuesday.

What a chore!
Now I'm getting ready to see how many of what trimmings I have available to sell...thinking I might do an RAOK with some of the shorter ones

Green dragon bristles! Haven't seen those before can you show me a picture. Cheers :)

Rare 06-10-2013 04:47 PM

Fed for the first time New Life Spectrum cichild formula. I'm mixing it up from what I make them to what is out there as well. No problem in eating at all. My friend sent me the pics of his new 29g nano cube we picked up Sun. Live rock, fish etc. for a good price....Now i'm looking into some saltwater aquarium as well..maybe a cube I can get away if she doesnt see it in the other room. We have some good deal in our side right now...oh, boy!

Tetra1990 06-10-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx (Post 2511059)
Water change for ninja, and starting teaching the kittens that fishtanks = wet paws. Took them one by one and let them see the fish, then dipped their paws in. Going to keep doing so until they learn that the fish are nothing they want to mess with. For now all topless tanks are behind a closed door, and after we move all but my 56 will be in a fish room, but it's still a chance I don't want to take. I don't want eaten fish or drowned kitties.

Add in a toothy fish. One trip and the kitty's SHOULD learn:)

Tetra1990 06-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare (Post 2511831)
Fed for the first time New Life Spectrum cichild formula. I'm mixing it up from what I make them to what is out there as well. No problem in eating at all. My friend sent me the pics of his new 29g nano cube we picked up Sun. Live rock, fish etc. for a good price....Now i'm looking into some saltwater aquarium as well..maybe a cube I can get away if she doesnt see it in the other room. We have some good deal in our side right now...oh, boy!

If you have any brownie points, now would be the time to cash em in. Few dozen roses for her may equal that new cube for you. we have to pay to play.

54seaweed 06-10-2013 05:39 PM

had a cat bout 10 years ago that used to walk around the rim of the tank
than one day he fell in never went near it again :D

SKB 06-10-2013 05:40 PM

Posted updated pics of my tank, I've added a good amount of plants and I also have an updated picture of tailless for anyone following the little guy :). It's not letting me post pics on threads but its under my profile.

Prezevere 06-10-2013 05:45 PM

I did a 50% pwc on my 75 gallon tank today. The water turned murkey after the Clown Knife went hunting and ate two of the bolivian rams(poor guys). I only have two left out of six thanks to said clown knife. I purchased a 125 gallon just to move the remaining fish out and away from the clown knife.

DragonFish71 06-10-2013 06:12 PM

Ok folks, one blanket warning here: keep it nice, family friendly and tactful or the thread will be closed.

ddodad 06-10-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFish71 (Post 2512011)
Ok folks, one blanket warning here: keep it nice, family friendly and tactful or the thread will be closed.

Just for my info, I am not starting any issues or trying to be rude in anyway. Was there a reason my post from earlier was deleted?

I really do agree with keeping things cordial and respectful.

Fresh2o 06-10-2013 07:23 PM

Drilled a hole in an extra HOB strainer/intake tube and put an airstone (DIY CO2). The HOB has filter floss in it to catch the tiny bubbles. Crude reactor at best.https://i.imgur.com/DzbiIDA.jpg

Rare 06-10-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990 (Post 2511955)
If you have any brownie points, now would be the time to cash em in. Few dozen roses for her may equal that new cube for you. we have to pay to play.

I cashed it when the 130g came home so I'm in negative brownie points and no amount of roses are gonna take care of that...lol!

Tetra1990 06-10-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare (Post 2512121)

I cashed it when the 130g came home so I'm in negative brownie points and no amount of roses are gonna take care of that...lol!

We have to make extreme sacrifices for our tanks sometimes to keep the better halves (somewhat) happy.

Fresh2o 06-10-2013 07:50 PM

Weekly PWC and scooped out a bunch of water lettuce and Salvinia. I want to cut the Bacopa and replant the stems but I am running out of real estate. The LFS said they would tank the large moss covered (flame + some other variety) DW but prolly for not much. Might trade it in for some amano shrimp and Malaysian DW (I have more moss to tie onto it).
https://i.imgur.com/eKdTVkH.jpg

annabel1066 06-10-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vespasianus (Post 2510857)
Set up my 20 gal to fish less cycle while I return from my army reserve training in 2 weeks. I always put 2 thawed (for human consumption lol) shrimp in it and squeeze a filter cartridge from another tank. Works like a charm and I have cycled tanks with this method in 2 weeks, no lie. One of my tanks cycled like this in 10 days, think that's a record lol. Don't steal my idea though lol.

Attachment 179292

Hi, Vespasianus [cool name :cool: a riff on the Roman emperor, I presume?]
Really like your idea for cycling... Not one to steal, though I might consider borrowing lol

annabel1066 06-10-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mlani (Post 1820502)
25% pwc on both my tanks. Rinsed out filters in the old tank water. Petted my discus and parrots (they eat from my hands and like the luvin) watched both tanks for over an hour each.

Wow, how cool to have them eating out of your hand! :) Plenty of Patience, I would guess, is how this was accomplished... nice.

54seaweed 06-10-2013 08:57 PM

fed everyone , found 3 power heads running backwards unplugged them than restarted going right way now , must have had a power surge

vespasianus 06-10-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabel1066 (Post 2512244)

Hi, Vespasianus [cool name :cool: a riff on the Roman emperor, I presume?]
Really like your idea for cycling... Not one to steal, though I might consider borrowing lol

Yeah Vespasianus was one of my favorite roman emperors. I'm a history nerd. And about the shrimp idea I was kidding lol. That's actually and old trick and hardly mine XD. Downside is...its stinky like you can't imagine when that think decomposes. I usually do it when I can't be there to cycle like in this instance where I'll be away for 2 weeks and I won't be able to be so involved in the cycling.

Fresh2o 06-10-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vespasianus (Post 2512284)

Yeah Vespasianus was one of my favorite roman emperors. I'm a history nerd. And about the shrimp idea I was kidding lol. That's actually and old trick. Downside is...its stinky like you can't imagine when that think decomposes.

I did a fishless cycle in a bedroom tank so the shrimp approach would not cut it. P-U. I used ammonia from Harris Teeter grocery store. Ran a new HOB filter in another tank for 9 days, moved it and some media from the established HOB into the new tank, dosed it with ammonia and in 6 days it was converting 4 ppm ammonia in 24-30 hours.

Tetra1990 06-10-2013 09:29 PM

Picked out/off some dead java fern leaves and some water spirit shoots. Watched the crew in both tanks. Also found somebody on CL with driftwood for sale. Sent them an e-mail hope to hear back from them in a day or 2.

Mommachef 06-10-2013 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent three hours adding about 50 lbs of rock and rescaping my cichlids. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, but I really have a growing issue with the background. Just not sure how to go about changing it now that the tank is full and not sure what I'd like to replace it with. HMMMM also on the Craigslist prowl for a 75+ for a discus tank down the line when my 55 is done. :)

54seaweed 06-10-2013 11:01 PM

looks great
I'd be kind of concerned that it's not going to be to stable and if a fish knocks it , it may all come down , or did you glue it together just hate to see a rock crash through the glass

Mommachef 06-10-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2512463)
looks great
I'd be kind of concerned that it's not going to be to stable and if a fish knocks it , it may all come down , or did you glue it together just hate to see a rock crash through the glass

Thank you! Some of them are glued and some are not for that exact reason! The little ones that are easier to budge are glued, but I didn't want to get crazy with the glue since I rearrange them constantly. Lol

Random Fishy 06-11-2013 02:07 PM

Today I got some test strips to test out my water and although not today I definitely plan to change my currently freshwater tank into a brackish water tank in the future.

ddodad 06-11-2013 05:19 PM

I tested my waters again just to make sure there was no ammonia. I'm really freaked out that there was on Saturday. All is still clear, I also did a snail harvest from my tank to give my friends puffer (salt water) (about 25 mts and 15 pond snails). I know it's not recommended but he has been running that tank for 20yrs

shellyx 06-11-2013 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got carried away cleaning my elephant nose tank took to much water out whoops! But I'm sure they'll appreciate it :)

Attachment 179700

Attachment 179701

Adding bamboo Shrimp to my tank tomorrow I'm looking forward to getting them been wanting them for a while :)

SKB 06-11-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2513485)
Got carried away cleaning my elephant nose tank took to much water out whoops! But I'm sure they'll appreciate it :)

Adding bamboo Shrimp to my tank tomorrow I'm looking forward to getting them been wanting them for a while :)

Is that a live snail or just a shell? What kind of snail is that? That's neat!!

shellyx 06-11-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKB (Post 2513534)

Is that a live snail or just a shell? What kind of snail is that? That's neat!!

It's real, he's a tiger tylo snail they also come under the name rabbit snails i have three of them. Thank you :)

jmay33 06-11-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2513485)

What kind of plants are those on the far left? I love your tank!! What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of fertilizers and co2 are you using?

hecurcia 06-11-2013 06:15 PM

Got a new 10 gallon and that makes 4 tanks in my living room :).

shellyx 06-11-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmay33 (Post 2513582)

What kind of plants are those on the far left? I love your tank!! What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of fertilizers and co2 are you using?

Not sure the name of them sorry they were given to me. I don't use fertilizers they just seem to grow lol i wouldn't have a clue with things like that! But thank you very much :)

jmay33 06-11-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2513600)

Not sure the name of them sorry they were given to me. I don't use fertilizers they just seem to grow lol i wouldn't have a clue with things like that! But thank you very much :)

Awesome. :) that's lucky. Maybe I try too hard. Lol.

shellyx 06-11-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmay33 (Post 2513608)

Awesome. :) that's lucky. Maybe I try too hard. Lol.

It shows your tank is beautiful!

jmay33 06-11-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2513611)

It shows your tank is beautiful!

Thank you! :)

cbourg746 06-11-2013 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Take a look at what's going down over here!

Fresh2o 06-11-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbourg746 (Post 2513738)

Building a stand for a big tank?

cbourg746 06-11-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 2513746)

Building a stand for a big tank?

Yes sirrrrrr!!!!!!

Tetra1990 06-11-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbourg746 (Post 2513738)

Details please:)

cbourg746 06-11-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990 (Post 2513773)

Details please:)

This is my father in laws Father's Day present. It will hold a 125g sa/ca community tank.

waterfaller1 06-11-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Fishy (Post 2513204)
Today I got some test strips to test out my water and although not today I definitely plan to change my currently freshwater tank into a brackish water tank in the future.

If you can I recommend you get titration{liquid} test kits instead of strips. API test kits are good. Test strips are commonly inaccurate.

aquandrew 06-12-2013 01:52 AM

that is beautiful even without fish i wish i could have a wall tank

Peteostler43614 06-12-2013 05:21 AM

Yesterday i went to a big chain store that does not specialize in pets but does sell tropical fish. I always look but never buy here.

So as i was looking i noticed that the red parrot chiclids in the one tank were acting strange. So i looked closer. There wee probably 8 in a small tank and most of them were heavily covered in ick! Several were dead, and more probably die! Disgusted i went to the shelf and got a bottle of quick cure and wedged it in front of the tank. Then i found an associate Abe told him how disgusted i was and that they need to hurry and treat the fish! His reply was that he did not usually work with the fish but he would tell his manager.

Perfect reason that i never buy here! They don't care enough about the fish to take care of them much less train their staff in animal husbandry!

kjacks 06-12-2013 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fed all my tanks spinach this morning.. both bettas turned their noses up at it .. My africans luv it and it was the first time the newer ones had it .. they got brave n attacked my nyererei while his mouth was full n jacked his spinach...lol it was hilarious bc they are 2in n he is like 3 times their size

My mystery i have had for 3months it was tge size if a dime or smaller it has always stayed in the cave with my crawfish

Attachment 179850

Mommachef 06-12-2013 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deep cleaned my Goldie tank this morning and discovered my black moors are covered in ich. Started treating them with medicine I had on hand from when my clown loaches had it (I grabbed some in case it spread to my other tanks). I didn't have any luck treating it last time (lost my loaches). I hope I can do better this time. :(

AmoretteCadenza 06-12-2013 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I set up a 5 gallon tank for a new betta I got a couple days ago :) I would love to plant it! But I'm totally new and totally lost :( I've read up on easy plants like the ones listed here:
https://aquariadise.com/8-easy-aquarium-plants/

Also, the tank I have my betta in is the 5 gallon Glofish tank. I had Glofish in it but I moved them to a 10 gallon when I purchased my 25 gallon. I had a spare hood from a 1 gallon tank and put it on top of the 5 gallon instead of the blue LED it came with. It actually lights it up very nicely :) Although I'm concerned that the light is not suitable for plants... I wanted to get some hardy low light, low maintenance plants that would grow in gravel (if that's possible, idk). You can pm me if you have any good websites or tips or anything :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cbourg746 06-12-2013 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last nights progress on the stand.

ddodad 06-12-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbourg746 (Post 2514601)
Last nights progress on the stand.

Very nice how big is the aquarium going to be?

cbourg746 06-12-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddodad (Post 2514605)

Very nice how big is the aquarium going to be?

125 gallon

scuba dude 06-12-2013 01:20 PM

Hope to get a coat of clear on the canopy top I made for the 90 gallon community tank and a quick water change on my QT tank. Yardwork first since more rain is in the forcast. Going to be a busy night but still much better than holding the couch down.

shellyx 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

Received my bamboo Shrimp today, after acclimating them they went in the tank and i haven't seen them since! Hopefully they'll be out tomorrow lol

Tetra1990 06-12-2013 05:59 PM

Had quite a wc day:/ spilled I don't know how much water and the plastic gas station cup that I use to get the water into my bucket cracked. But I'm going to the LFS tonight, so if I do get any fish, I'll be sure to let y all know.

jmay33 06-12-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2514906)
Received my bamboo Shrimp today, after acclimating them they went in the tank and i haven't seen them since! Hopefully they'll be out tomorrow lol

Ahhh. That's so awesome! I'm jealous! I want bamboo shrimp really bad! How big are they?

pcdebb 06-13-2013 01:30 AM

changed filter media on the 46 bow, 29 gallon and the 10 gallon grow-out.

water change on the 46 bow, and also started my rescape. been soaking/rinsing some mopani wood for over a month. I decided to remove all of my live plants, the colored fake plants look real nice, especially when the neon school are swimming about. my discus are a bit confused tho lol

moved the angels out of the 20H and back to the 55. my mating pair that's in the 55 will probably go in the 10 gallon for mating purposes. Maybe. the fish in the growout will go in the 20H when I do a WC/gravel vac and filter media change. then they will go to mom's 75.

shellyx 06-13-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmay33 (Post 2515174)

Ahhh. That's so awesome! I'm jealous! I want bamboo shrimp really bad! How big are they?

They're around an inch, got up this morning and they're out Yay! I can see them one has more color he looks red I'll have to get pics :)

Tetra1990 06-13-2013 07:14 AM

It's been a bad day already. Went to my LFS last night and walked out empty handed. 85% of the tanks were empty and those that were 'full' had had terrible looking fish. Went for Cory cats, found some emerald green ones and one had a chunk out of it's head. But I did see bolivian rams for $5! that's cheap for around here. Then this morning, I overslept my alarm by 15 minutes. And found one of my harliquine Rasboras had died.

shellyx 06-13-2013 02:13 PM

Pwc change on my bettas tank and re arranged it. :)

kjacks 06-13-2013 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the coconut huts outta the 20g .. crawfish got alittle mad and tried to clip me .

Attachment 180080

Tetra1990 06-13-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacks (Post 2516076)
Removed the coconut huts outta the 20g .. crawfish got alittle mad and tried to clip me .

Are those real plants? Either way, I'm looking to get a crawfish for my 10g. What species do you have?

54seaweed 06-13-2013 08:15 PM

had a minor electrical fire today started under my tanks , found the culprit a leaking cylinder on my skimmer pouring water all over , I had to kill the power in that room for about 5 hours till I got everything dried out , spent most of the day cleaning up not easy when your not feeling well , kemo does a number on me , anyway everything back up and running resealed the skimmer seams , weird the skimmer seams to run better now too , it just sucks how cheap they make everything these days

kjacks 06-13-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990 (Post 2516107)

Are those real plants? Either way, I'm looking to get a crawfish for my 10g. What species do you have?

Nope well one is .. lol and i have some moss in there too the crawfish have torn them up pretty good they actually sit on the leaves so i made sure to add plenty they are the blue lobster ones ummm clarkiis (i think ill double check that for you but im sure thats what they are) got mine off of ebay for cheaper then i have found anywhere locally or online at that time..

Edit:

No i was wrong they are procambrus alleni .. i have breeding pair i wish i had a bigger tank i really like the dwarf orange crawfish which is my next project if i can make more room

waterfaller1 06-14-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2516387)
had a minor electrical fire today started under my tanks , found the culprit a leaking cylinder on my skimmer pouring water all over , I had to kill the power in that room for about 5 hours till I got everything dried out , spent most of the day cleaning up not easy when your not feeling well , kemo does a number on me , anyway everything back up and running resealed the skimmer seams , weird the skimmer seams to run better now too , it just sucks how cheap they make everything these days

I am so very sorry.:(

waterfaller1 06-14-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990 (Post 2515633)
And found one of my harliquine Rasboras had died.

I am sorry for your loss.:(

Tetra1990 06-14-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfaller1 (Post 2517049)
I am sorry for your loss.:(

Thanks. I had the school for about a year. They were from pets mart and I haven't found them in any LFS in town since. The remaining 4 almost seem like they are looking for there buddy lol.

54seaweed 06-14-2013 11:47 AM

considering my health I didn't need this to happen but the guy that has been doing maintenance to my tank some how found out and offered free of charge to replace all that was damaged
I don't know how he found out so fast ,think my wife called him
nothing that happen was his fault , was just cheap equipment that I was using
today he is supposed to come to do normal maintenance and replace all the damaged equipment , yes there are still good people in this world, I don't know how I can ever thank him for doing this for me .

waterfaller1 06-14-2013 12:04 PM

Isn't there a GFCI or something that will kick off the power in case of an emergency? I have been away from saltwater for awhile, but I know salt and electricity do not mix, that's why you always should have safety measures in place so you don't get electrocuted and things like this can't happen. I hope you can get everything fixed.

54seaweed 06-14-2013 12:30 PM

yes there are things as GFI but my home is just so prehistoric (OLD) so they would need to be installed

waterfaller1 06-14-2013 12:53 PM

I do think there are also strips available with them. Might be better than nothing.

54seaweed 06-14-2013 02:32 PM

I do use those GFI strips , that is what saved my home from going up in flames
I learned my lesson on buying cheap equipment , cheap is just that cheap

plan on having my home rewired in near future even though it wasn't faulty wiring
just cheap equipment that failed causing a flood and starting a small fire

maintenance guy pulled in can't wait to see what goodies he brought, looking out window it looks like a big box , looks like he's prepared for the mess

Tetra1990 06-14-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2517489)
I do use those GFI strips , that is what saved my home from going up in flames
I learned my lesson on buying cheap equipment , cheap is just that cheap

plan on having my home rewired in near future even though it wasn't faulty wiring
just cheap equipment that failed causing a flood and starting a small fire

maintenance guy pulled in can't wait to see what goodies he brought, looking out window it looks like a big box , looks like he's prepared for the mess

I'm sure you will be in good hands. There are still good hearted people in the world.

Galligak 06-14-2013 02:51 PM

I got 5.6lbs of live rock today:). And some salt! Now I'm getting RO/DI water. Starting my SW tank tonight:dance:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...5ccd83038d.jpg

Tetra1990 06-14-2013 09:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok everybody, did a re scape in anticipation of tomorrows (hopefully) new arrivals. Not real sure of what that will be. I ditched the fake log decor, I hated it from the day I bought it. Hey it was in the overstocked bin at petsmart and rang up $3! And I needed something. The root decor,on the other hand, I love it as well as the fish. After moving everything, I guess I have NO plants except what was on the dw that I moved in the corner. So aside from fish, I need plants too.

shellyx 06-15-2013 07:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics of my bamboo Shrimp i added to my elephant nose tank

Attachment 180453

Attachment 180454

Tetra1990 06-15-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2518481)
Here's a couple of pics of my bamboo Shrimp i added to my elephant nose tank

Nice shrimp. Your elephant nose won't eat them will he/she? They look kinda pricy. I had $10 blueberry shrimp and my male betta systematically hunted them all down in a months time.

shellyx 06-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra1990 (Post 2518522)

Nice shrimp. Your elephant nose won't eat them will he/she? They look kinda pricy. I had $10 blueberry shrimp and my male betta systematically hunted them all down in a months time.

No he won't eat them, he shares his home with different shrimp but we found out he had a taste for my red cherries! He leaves the big ones alone :)

Mommachef 06-15-2013 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up an 80 gallon tank and stand today, found on Craigslist. It has weird dimensions though, it's tall, long, and narrow. Just have to figure out what I want to do with it now!

Autumnsky 06-15-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommachef (Post 2519406)
Picked up an 80 gallon tank and stand today, found on Craigslist. It has weird dimensions though, it's tall, long, and narrow. Just have to figure out what I want to do with it now!

That is an awesome tank! Hope you have a ladder!

Galligak 06-15-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Nice tank! I'd so do an angel tank with that;). Good luck with putting your arm in there!

Autumnsky 06-16-2013 12:05 AM

Trying to catch up!

Well I am back from my trip. Glad to be back! The trip was pretty much awful for so many reasons, No problems with getting to and fro.

Didn't get to hunt for my new manzanita wood, friends hubby who was gonna look for me on his mountain bike trip lost his brand new iPhone and didn't get around to finding any for me, understandably.

So maybe next trip.

Helped my mom and broke down her 60 or 80G tank with two 12 inch Koi in it. For the past year and a half she hadn't been able to take them to the lfs where she trades them for credit when they get some size on them. She had been struggling to take care of them. Very beautiful golden with black markings pearl scale and a white one with some black markings like lines on his sides and head.

Got them to the lfs for a credit, and a neighbor came and bought the tank.

So very happy to get those fish where they could go to a pond!

She has one hex tank left now with just a few fish in it. The projects she needed done kept me over my head and I couldn't get to that tank to update it. Probably going back in a month though, so I can fix it then.

My tanks are all fine, some got too much light, one got none (and no food either I think), I filled them all from evaporation.

Now I need to catch up on pwc and clean off a little algae.

My cat thought the big jar was her new water bowl, but she was perched on the rim and slipped in with one foot. Spilled a half gallon of water on the floor and the table, big mess, but the fish were okay.

Been thinking about my fish and tanks...

Think I finally decided to rehome my 37G and some fish locally, and maybe my 16G too and get a 12G Edge for the Shrimp instead.

And I am on the fence for my Koi pond and Butterfly Koi and goldfish. Don't have time or energy to build a new pond at my new place right now. I might be able to rehome half of them maybe until I have more time. The above ground pond won't really work at the new place, need to dig a hole for that too. :( Anybody local, give me a PM!

I think it took me an hour to read all the pages here for this thread I missed while I was gone, I really need a new phone so I can keep up!

Alyxx 06-16-2013 12:59 AM

Just did a 2 gallon water change in my betta fry 10 gallon tank... With a 1 1/2 oz turkey baster.

SharpieItBlack 06-16-2013 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cleaned ugly algae off my walls.... and added this new faux coral piece :) and a few fake plants!!

Attachment 180650

SharpieItBlack 06-16-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

I am so excited to get a house when I grow up after college :P I want a big koi pond in the backyard and a giant maybe 100g tank in the living room and my current 30g with my Goldie Jack!! I am jealous of this tank even with its weird dimensions

kjacks 06-16-2013 10:53 AM

Gonna go home from church and rescape my 125g .. do a major cleaning on it especially since my 3 yr old nephew wanted to feed my fish and the hubby let him overfed them now my tabk looks a hot mess ... :/

Gonna clean the crawfish tank to they seen to like my newest addition of ramshorn snails i keep finding shells crunched up but thats what they were added for so finally my tank is normal.

Cleaned the 5g n 10g yesterday atleast 50% pwc my almost invisible nerites are now gettin big enough to see.. :)

shellyx 06-16-2013 10:54 AM

Pwc clean and algae scrub on my elephant nose tank.
Added more frogbit to my bettas tank as it's growing wild in my other tank.

Mommachef 06-16-2013 11:51 AM

It is a pretty neat tank, it's 4 feet long and 1 foot wide. I'm tossing around the idea of some angels for it, or maybe putting my fancy goldies in it and using their bow front for something else. So many decisions!

foster53 06-16-2013 12:08 PM

Water change, and filter cleaning on the 125. Also water change the 30L, and40L planted tank. Set up the new CO2 system on my other 125. Busy for a few hrs.:lol:

Alyxx 06-16-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommachef (Post 2520005)
It is a pretty neat tank, it's 4 feet long and 1 foot wide. I'm tossing around the idea of some angels for it, or maybe putting my fancy goldies in it and using their bow front for something else. So many decisions!

At 1 foot wide I would honestly stick to smaller fish. Nothing longer than 5 or 6 inches, so that they can turn comfortably and be able to do more than essentially pace from side to side.

shellyx 06-17-2013 02:54 PM

Did a massive clean on my bettas tank as i found three damselflies yikes! They were hiding under my tiger lotus so everything came out and got cleaned. Does anyone know if my betta will be ok if there's any more in there? I don't like them lol

kjacks 06-17-2013 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looked up from cleaning my house and saw my crawfish with my plant held up in the air with roots in her mouth... really no wonder it keeps floating in the water i was blaming the ramshorns.. plant moved immediately to a new tank

Attachment 181002

shellyx 06-17-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacks (Post 2521986)
Looked up from cleaning my house and saw my crawfish with my plant held up in the air with roots in her mouth... really no wonder it keeps floating in the water i was blaming the ramshorns.. plant moved immediately to a new tank

That's funny lol your crawfish is a very lovely color :)

kjacks 06-17-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2521988)

That's funny lol your crawfish is a very lovely color :)

Thanks ...she eats a high snail diet...lol

Mommachef 06-17-2013 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx (Post 2520834)

At 1 foot wide I would honestly stick to smaller fish. Nothing longer than 5 or 6 inches, so that they can turn comfortably and be able to do more than essentially pace from side to side.

Definitely agree! But I might have to part with the tank, because it doesn't look/fit right in the spot I had wanted to put it, and I don't really have room to put it anywhere else. I can't decide whether I want to resell it or if I just want to put it in my basement and hang on to it for when we get a bigger house. I'm pretty disappointed about it! :(
But on a side note, just got done setting up this 50 gallon cube thing that I also picked up over the weekend. Not sure yet what I want to put in it, but it's up and running!

Mommachef 06-17-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

All I can picture is the little dude saying "this. is. Spartaaaaa!" LOL

Autumnsky 06-17-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Attachment 181002

Caught blue handed!

Bought The Top Fin Pogostemon Helferi and Staurogyne Repens packaged plants from Petsmart. Oh and I got a survey to complete online, save $3 for tomorrow to get them at a different store. Also the price was $1.00 more for the package at that first store 8.99. The first store I went to didn't have any new ones said their stuff comes in on Tuesday.

The second store half the plants looked awful, half looked great. I am guessing the awful ones maybe had been behind the others and didn't get much light, or older stock. 7.99 per box, as was the price quoted from two other stores in a different area.

Set a trade with a member here for some other new plants. it's kinda like plant swap for me lately. Getting lots of new ones I have been wanting.

Got a bunch of Anubias Nana petite, and Rotala a couple weeks ago, and some starts of a few other new types to me, plants from local area hobbyists! Maybe picking up a cool flame moss driftwood this week!

54seaweed 06-18-2013 12:05 PM

Not a thing yet
took my daughter out off roading yesterday guess she's wore out cause can't get her out of bed , so I can't get in that room to feed the fish yet lol