Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Bearchumjs 04-11-2012 02:43 AM

I did a 30% water change on the 55. I pinched off some of the tops of the water wisteria, and picked off any dead leaves on the plants. It was my first time using seachem Prime water conditioner. I took off the little tetra pump. I don't need it. I'll save it for a hospital/qt tank. I organized all my fish food and water conditioners. I flipped my background around again. I was just not digging the "ocean" scene for a freshwater tank.

phoenixkiller 04-11-2012 03:15 PM

Let's see.... ooh I noticed the gravid spot on my Sunset Platy... so excited for her batch!!

LyndaB 04-11-2012 03:20 PM

Bubbles, I love your nursery tank.

I did a 50% water change on my 75 gallon. This weekend, I'll tear down the canister and give the housing and biomedia a good rinsing..... :D

Bubbles0oO 04-11-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks LyndaB! I re arranged it like a bazillion Ike's before I was happy. Everyone we go to a home improvement store I ask my dad for another mini pot ( there like $0.30 each so he would buy them all for me if I asked for them)

Water change in nursery tank, fed teachers fish, fed my fish, fed my fish some more because they are so funny the way they eat, wrote my fish list ( birthday fish wish list) of supplies and fish for my tanks, and Seriously considered the work and time a 30 gallon angelfish breeder tank would cost me, decided it was worth it because they are gorgeous! Now to my best friend CL to find a stand.....

ErinMcG 04-11-2012 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a floating betta log to Alfred's tank. He is already hanging out in it. Also got a zebra snail for the tank, but have a horrible feeling I may have killed him. The bag fell off the counter and onto the carpet. It didn't open, so maybe he was cushioned. I semi drip acclimated him - put him in a cup with LFS water, then topped up slowly with tank water. Dumped half of it, and topped up slowly with tank water. Then picked him up and put him in Alfred's tank. he hasn't moved yet though, so I am worried.

Reefnoob84 04-11-2012 11:28 PM

I added my marble wrasse to the dt from qt and got 2 new frags. A single headed trumpet and a free millapora!

Alyxx 04-12-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smomus

Oh that's really kind of sad. Dope up the bettas :(
I watched a worker change the water one time and it was changed with more blue water. I wondered if it had some kind of food in it too. Reminded me of water with miracle grow in it. Didn't think then to ask what was in it, just assumed it was food.
Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled topic... :)

In most places it is just blue dye, which is used to keep them from being stressed out by seeing all the other Bettas in the cups around them. It's a good thing that the water is blue.

I fed the fish and realized the light in my 5 gallon is messed up. The bulb part detatched from the screw in part. My boyfriend got it out and now I just have to replace the bulb.

smomus 04-12-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx

In most places it is just blue dye, which is used to keep them from being stressed out by seeing all the other Bettas in the cups around them. It's a good thing that the water is blue.

Ooh that makes since! Not medication just so they can't see the others! Brilliant!

I really didn't want to do a wc but checked my levels regardless. My nitrates were a little elevated in both betta tanks so alas I did one. Fed every one. Now time for bed..

phoenixkiller 04-12-2012 05:14 PM

Cleaned the RCS tank. Pretty dirty.

rreekers 04-12-2012 06:12 PM

setting up my 1st co2 system right now! :) so excited!!!

Shay 04-12-2012 06:29 PM

Finally got the baby chocolates moved, the sp rubys moved to a new tank(s), topped off a few, made up some repashy not sure what else will be done since I've got work today put did putt around and get a few things done

Tcal01 04-12-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay
Finally got the baby chocolates moved, the sp rubys moved to a new tank(s), topped off a few, made up some repashy not sure what else will be done since I've got work today put did putt around and get a few things done

Chocolate gouramis?

Tetra123 04-12-2012 08:07 PM

Did a pwc to start to remove copper after winning my battle with velvet.:dance:

Bearchumjs 04-12-2012 08:18 PM

I found these egg looking things on my DW today. No idea where they came from.

Bubbles0oO 04-12-2012 08:36 PM

Nothing

Surprising I know, But I guess working for fish money counts ;)

rreekers 04-13-2012 12:29 AM

i added a power head to my tank, get my co2 all set up (still having a hard time figuring out how i want to diffuse it), fed my fish :)

looking into what fish i want to get next ( i need to up my schools)

and watched the last episode of TANKED :) and promised my fish someday they will have a large awesome aquarium (with live plants, not the fake stuff they put in all their tanks)

ErinMcG 04-13-2012 12:46 AM

Water tests on Jupiter's 5 gallon. Everything is good, bar a wee bit of ammonia (0.1). Did a 50% water change. Was a couple days overdue anyway.

Ammonia test only on main tank. Still at 0.1 in spite of pwc yesterday. Did another today. Maybe test again later.

Frozen bloodworms for fishy dinners tonight.

Yesterday, I got AquaPlanner from iTunes and started to fill it in, so I recorded my tests in it today. Like it so far, though I told it to tell me to do pwc and tests today at 5 and it didn't .... Wonder what step I missed.

Google shopped for black sand options in Victoria.

That's all she wrote for today.

Munchie 04-13-2012 12:46 AM

Made the mistake a few months ago of trying to break up the black Eco complete with white in a certain area...my blood parrots decided they didn't like it and spread it everywhere..I have been picking 5lb of gravel out pebble by pebble for months..got about 1lb out tonight...some more to go..lesson learned! Wish there was a easier way...besides burying it or replacing everything.

Bearchumjs 04-13-2012 01:21 AM

I just moved my 5 cobra endlers from my 5 gal to my 55 gal. My momma ghost shrimp is giving birth right now and I did a 75% pwc on the 5 gal. I'm going to get a new betta this weekend.

roydooms 04-13-2012 03:26 AM

I moved my suspected carnation pigeon discus pair to it's own tank this morning and they'd spawned just a few hours ago :D

Tcal01 04-13-2012 04:18 AM

Watched dustinsfishtanks and wished my tank looked like his do lol.

smomus 04-13-2012 04:22 AM

My nitrites jumped in my 3g today while I was at work. So it got a 75% wc! Three little one gallon got a 50% wc. Water in main tank was good, altho I expected the nitrates to be a little higher..

Giggled at the betta in the gallon tank when I peeked in to check on my daughter.

Attachment 88663

He literally sleeps in tiny spaces of the stones that are on the bottom. Thought he was stuck the other day but nope! He sleeps there every night!

garfy 04-13-2012 09:08 AM

Removed all the decor from my tank,thoroughly vacuumed my sand and did a 75% pwc.Had to carry 30 buckets of fresh water up the stairs to refill the tank.Its worth every step to keep my fish happy and healthy :)

LyndaB 04-13-2012 11:40 AM

Ordered 100 lbs of eco-complete for my 75 gallon...... now trying to muster up enthusiasm for changing the old substrate out completely and installing new....... not so big a chore on an empty tank, but a bugger and a half when the tank is established with driftwood, plants and fish..... :hide:

Tcal01 04-13-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaB
Ordered 100 lbs of eco-complete for my 75 gallon...... now trying to muster up enthusiasm for changing the old substrate out completely and installing new....... not so big a chore on an empty tank, but a bugger and a half when the tank is established with driftwood, plants and fish..... :hide:

Ouch. Ive been there

Bearchumjs 04-13-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaB

Yikes! Thats alot of dirt. But just think about how much your plants are going to love it! Sounds like a good project for the weekend.

Austin.b 04-13-2012 08:07 PM

Applied some flourish excel to treat some BBA in my RCS tank and shot my self in the eye with excel.......yeah....not pretty.

Bubbles0oO 04-13-2012 09:41 PM

Spent an hour shopping for PFS and finally found a pool store that had it. Well they were closed and I saw it through the window LOL

Tcal01 04-14-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Spent an hour shopping for PFS and finally found a pool store that had it. Well they were closed and I saw it through the window LOL

Hahaha

Bubbles0oO 04-14-2012 09:43 AM

Asked myself the big question

Yellow labs

Or

Angels......

Nursery clean out
16 gal clean out
55 gal clean out

Go and buy some sand for 55 clean it and replace the gravel in there already....

Add beta to 55 and supervise him

Edit: this is for you LyndaB!!

Attachment 88815

senemedar 04-14-2012 01:55 PM

Changed the water in my main tank, but forgot to buy plant nutritions, so they'll be hungry till tomorrow :/

Bubbles0oO 04-14-2012 03:57 PM

Well I did more so I'll post LOL

Got a bunch of plants for my 30 gal but are in the 55 Hal for now

Gonna buy the sand in a few minutes

Attachment 88849

stingrays4 04-14-2012 04:02 PM

Hi bought three assassin snails:) done a pwc:) an keeps measuring the gap i can find for me next tank:whistle::D

phoenixkiller 04-14-2012 07:44 PM

Scooped up the 12 surviving platies from my Sunset Platy's drop last night!!

awilson133 04-15-2012 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I couldnt post yesterday...but yesterday I sold 6 black skirts. did a 40% wc in my 55 gallon and 29 gallon added a big fake plant in my 29. made a list of the things I need for my 36 bow front build when my family and I were taking shelter during a tornado warning. lucky we didnt get hit!:) but TODAY I will enjoy my tanks!:)
here is a pic of my 29 semi planted:

Attachment 89061

phoenixkiller 04-15-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1899632)
Scooped up the 12 surviving platies from my Sunset Platy's drop last night!!

And today some of them escaped the breeding box, I had to re-capture them. Silly fry!

MartyMA 04-15-2012 04:26 PM

Added a Nutrafin CO2 system to my new 20g long. Added a couple of plants from the fluval edge. Spent way too much time watching the little bubbles travel up the diffuser ladder. Nothing else to look at since in the middle of a fishless cycle (sigh)

Munchie 04-15-2012 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a 40% water change and vacuumed the substrate. removed a 14" piece of driftwood as it was starting to tint my water (left two smaller pieces) I arranged my 10 ciclid stones in the area the wood was so my blood parrots still have their little area to hide.

Replanted a few plants and did a bit of trimming.

Just dumped Easy Life fluid filter medium in it so it is a bit cloudy.

Attachment 89097

Getting ready for when I add my two 30" T5's with dual bulbs and a 18W UV sterilizer next weekend. Might pick up a second eheim pro so I can double filter.

Minnesota-koi 04-15-2012 05:58 PM

I cleaned one of my two filter pads for my hob filter and did a 10 gallon water change. I also fed the koi the tank contains.

emerald76 04-15-2012 08:04 PM

Freaked out over .5 ammonia
Huge 75% pwc and gravel vac
Got it down to 0
Contemplated wether to get meds for what looks like ich or just heat it out
Thought about adding RCS

Bearchumjs 04-15-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchie
Did a 40% water change and vacuumed the substrate. removed a 14" piece of driftwood as it was starting to tint my water (left two smaller pieces) I arranged my 10 ciclid stones in the area the wood was so my blood parrots still have their little area to hide.

Replanted a few plants and did a bit of trimming.

Just dumped Easy Life fluid filter medium in it so it is a bit cloudy.

Getting ready for when I add my two 30" T5's with dual bulbs and a 18W UV sterilizer next weekend. Might pick up a second eheim pro so I can double filter.

It's cloudy but I love it! I love the van gogh and brick wall behind the tank too!

Bubbles0oO 04-15-2012 10:16 PM

Changed substrate to sand, re arranged plants, scooped fry into the nursery, set up a soon to be angel breeding tank ( 30 gal) added plants and sand to it, would post pics but I'm burnt out and it's past bedtime for my fishies ;)

Bearchumjs 04-15-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Changed substrate to sand, re arranged plants, scooped fry into the nursery, set up a soon to be angel breeding tank ( 30 gal) added plants and sand to it, would post pics but I'm burnt out and it's past bedtime for my fishies ;)

You were busy!!

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

You were busy!!

No kidding! Good luck with your fry in the nursery!!

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1901598)
No kidding! Good luck with your fry in the nursery!!

Fed the Betta. He is such a pig!

dotswithchemicals 04-16-2012 02:49 AM

Did a water change on my three betta tanks, and my 55. :)

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1901671)
Fed the Betta. He is such a pig!

Oh yeah, and I repaired my breeder trap.

jetajockey 04-16-2012 03:18 AM

Put a handful of these in the 125.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...22f528705f.jpg

Bearchumjs 04-16-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetajockey
Put a handful of these in the 125.

What is it? I love it!

jetajockey 04-16-2012 03:46 AM

Just calling them sailfin shiners for now, not 100% on the species name, the 'sailfin shiner' name covers a complex of species.

Bubbles0oO 04-16-2012 08:19 AM

LOL yeah , Dosent help that my parents wanted to do ANYTHING else because it was my birthday lol. Here are the pics
55 gal
Attachment 89232

30 gal( still cloudy and the plants are temporary

Attachment 89233

My tank wall( ignore ladder that's my bed lol)

Attachment 89234

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Oh yeah, and I repaired my breeder trap.

Nothing too exciting, but I did feed my fish, and my Platy fry ate their first meal!!

Freshie In Disguise 04-16-2012 04:40 PM

Rearranged my 20g and hooked up bubblers in my 20g and 50g. The 50g went fine, I think because it is sand, but the 20g... What a waste of my lunch time. :( The bubbles don't penetrate the gravel very well at all.

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshie In Disguise (Post 1902269)
Rearranged my 20g and hooked up bubblers in my 20g and 50g. The 50g went fine, I think because it is sand, but the 20g... What a waste of my lunch time. :( The bubbles don't penetrate the gravel very well at all.

I personally would coat the bubbler with a thin layer of gravel, only enough to conceal that ugly bubbler ;).

Freshie In Disguise 04-16-2012 05:32 PM

That's what I did. Instead of getting little bubbles everywhere, I get big bubbles from one spot. I put a big ceramic cichlid rock over the bubbly spot and it looks alot better... The bubbles just come out of the holes in the rock. However, I could have done the same thing with a $2 airstone rather than a $10 flexi-bubbler. :(

phoenixkiller 04-16-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshie In Disguise (Post 1902333)
That's what I did. Instead of getting little bubbles everywhere, I get big bubbles from one spot. I put a big ceramic cichlid rock over the bubbly spot and it looks alot better... The bubbles just come out of the holes in the rock. However, I could have done the same thing with a $2 airstone rather than a $10 flexi-bubbler. :(

Sorry bout that. I hope you don't have a funny problem like that again!

Minnesota-koi 04-16-2012 08:33 PM

5 gallon water change after I cleaned my tank walls inside and out. Things are looking nice and clear.

smomus 04-16-2012 11:39 PM

Set up a new 10g next to my bed to cycle. black gravel with clear pebbles. Turned or way pretty! Need to get a divider so once it's cycled I can put both bettas in. pwc in all the rest of my tanks. Productive day!

Alyxx 04-17-2012 02:11 PM

Discovered all of my last batch of guppy fry dead this morning... Guess the mom passed on her illness before she gave birth. It looks like my other adult female dropped last night but I didn't see fry. Guess I'm digging around to look for some when I get home.

Bearchumjs 04-17-2012 02:16 PM

I cleaned my 5 gallon really good last night. It had hard water lines that were bugging me and a patch of algae showed up in one corner. It looks really pretty now! :)

Did nothing with the 55. It's new inhabitants are still getting adjusted to their new home. They are all doing well today!

phoenixkiller 04-17-2012 05:36 PM

I didn't do too much, but I noticed my Anacharis is growing like weed...

Mumma.of.two 04-17-2012 11:07 PM

I introduced 2 more female bettas to my sorority tank bringing me up to 5 females in the tank. It's been an hour and so far everything's going great!:D

Gboy66 04-17-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
I introduced 2 more female bettas to my sorority tank bringing me up to 5 females in the tank. It's been an hour and so far everything's going great!:D

I didnt know you had a sorority mumma! Which one is it? Glad everything is going well so far!!

I have been doing a ton of stuff for my salt tank! I am currently making 30 gallons of rodi water, getting water to buy rock, and have been cleaning/testing the PFS!

Munchie 04-18-2012 12:49 AM

Added two 30" double bulb T5 lights (deep blue) and a 18W uv sterilizer, in just a few hours the uv has cleared the water considerably.

Small water change coming up later this week

phoenixkiller 04-18-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1904166)
I didn't do too much, but I noticed my Anacharis is growing like weed...

Today I fed the fishys, and prepared the tank for the new arrivals coming today.

LyndaB 04-18-2012 11:32 AM

I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for 100 lbs of eco-complete to be delivered so I can redo my 75 gallon.

Oh wait, I did something productive with my tanks! I changed out the pre-filter in my shrimp tank! Woohoo, herculean task accomplished! :lol:

Tetra1990 04-18-2012 08:01 PM

Just finished a 90% PWC on my 29 gallon. Also pulled some of my dead java fern out.

phoenixkiller 04-18-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1905209)
Today I fed the fishys, and prepared the tank for the new arrivals coming today.

Yes! Lately I added the 2 Zygatus, 1 Peppered and 1 Bronze Cory, as well as the 12+ Yellow Tiger Endlers. My thanks to Severum Mama!

Bubbles0oO 04-18-2012 09:16 PM

Fed frozens, watched my corycats form a T but nothing happened. I also collected some pennywort from my grandmas pond. Still deciding what to do with it.

awilson133 04-19-2012 02:06 AM

set up my third tank. fed my fish. found a fish that apparent went missing unill I moved some DW and wala there he was swimming franticlly I feel terrible..i had no idea. I thought one died and I had four tetras. nope miscounted..:( well see how he does in the morning

LyndaB 04-20-2012 10:04 AM

Finally, my lfs had some rummynose tetras in stock! Bought another 5 for my existing school. I think I have almost 20 now. So far, the old guys are taking real good care of the new guys and everybody's got a vibrant nose now.

Also picked up 3 long-fin albino BN plecos...... growing them out in the community tank before I put them in with the big mouth fish. :lol:

phoenixkiller 04-20-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrance (Post 1818945)
I continued treatment for internal parasites for my fahaka. This is the 3rd day of the 7 day treatment plan. Hopefully this last time will get rid of the worms.

Well today I was frantically searching for my new Peppered Cory, he is one of my favorites and I couldn't find him, so I feared the worst. Then I wanted to bang my head against a wall when I found him chillin' out in the fake hollow log... :lol:

LyndaB 04-20-2012 03:59 PM

We have a saying for just those moments....... "stupid fish"..... :lol:

awilson133 04-20-2012 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Well today I was frantically searching for my new Peppered Cory, he is one of my favorites and I couldn't find him, so I feared the worst. Then I wanted to bang my head against a wall when I found him chillin' out in the fake hollow log... :lol:

fish looking at you with this face

Attachment 90041

Tcal01 04-20-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awilson133

fish looking at you with this face

Trollololololol!!! Haha funnies

Shay 04-20-2012 05:15 PM

Not good at the quote thing - the chocolate babys are Hypseclera Temporalis

Trying to catch the elusive holding sp Ruby Green female to move to a 10g to spit, assorted here and there water changes, and watching Missy stalk the parakeet who's uneducated about sticking tail feathers in her tank LOL 4lb fish stalking one little bird is always a great giggle

clark4feathers 04-20-2012 07:08 PM

seahorses

today I added probotics to my seahorse tank...we are moving right along..WWC will happen tommorow. need to service my pumps too....

Bearchumjs 04-20-2012 10:03 PM

I added a crypt and some hornwort I ordered from severum mama. I also have java moss I will tie to DW in just a little bit.

rreekers 04-20-2012 10:53 PM

50% water changes in each of my 4 tank... in under 1 hour! :)

Bubbles0oO 04-20-2012 11:11 PM

Well here we go....
notice male Molly was almost dead
Euthanize him.
Got a call from a friend.
Friend said that the LFS has some cardnial tetras and corycats.
I jump and tell her to get 6 of each
Then I ask if the store had any swords.
Hey have 3 left so I jump on them too.
Waits for a half hour for friend to get to the house.
Friend arrives and the cardnial tetras are neon tetras.
One of the neons is dead
I put them in any way.
One of the corycats is huge
Meanwhile I'm aclamating beta to my 55 gal
I notice the larger Cory isn't in the bag.
Larger Cory had jumped into the tank.
Everyone goes into he tanks.
go to LFS and buy root tabs and see some plants
Buy some dwarf hair grass
Buy 6 cardnial tetras
Buy a silver lyre tail Molly ( male)
Go home.
realize the lady put the Molly and the cards in the same bag ( go ing to different tanks)
Move Molly to his own bag.
And I am now acclamating the new fishes

And it's only Friday night :)

Bearchumjs 04-21-2012 01:15 AM

I learned that I have to get childproof locks on my fish tank stand.

smomus 04-21-2012 03:34 AM

Removed a dead dalmatian molly :(
75% water change, vacuumed gravel,
Rearranged some deco,
Cursed the air stone line because it wouldn't stay where I wanted it to!
Refilled the tank...

Bearchumjs 04-21-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Removed a dead dalmatian molly :(
75% water change, vacuumed gravel,
Rearranged some deco,
Cursed the air stone line because it wouldn't stay where I wanted it to!
Refilled the tank...

Sorry you lost a fish! :(

smomus 04-21-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

Sorry you lost a fish! :(

Thank you :(
I'm thinking he was constipated, or bloat, idk. He seemed fat and I'm just assuming that's what it was.
My daughter was more sad cuz we were going to move him and another into her tank after a few days qt. Maybe my dt is needing to be qt as well..

smomus 04-21-2012 04:45 AM

new fish!

Picked up some sunburst platys and red wag platys along with some mystery snails for my sons tank. I believe at least one is pregnant..
For my daughters tank 2 Mollies and a mystery snail. Was going to move the 2 I already have, but when we got home one was dead :(
After they all have been qt for a while will move a mystery snail or 2 to the main tank and the remaining Molly to my daughters tank.
On a side more I actually got good info at my local petsmart today. My son asked about a striped fish he really wanted (can't remember what it was) and the sales man actually told him no because his tank wasn't big enough!
Walmart had some green spotted puffer fish. SO cute! They would follow my finger up and down the tank wall. Totally wanted one or 2 but I don't have a brackish tank and I've vowed never to buy fish at Walmart.
Any way that was my day..

Saratj1 04-21-2012 05:17 AM

+1 to not buying fish at walmart, I was hoping maybe my local store just had worse than usual animal husbandry, but seems to be a trend. So sad. I guess if you look at the way they treat their employees what do you expect for their fish.

eizzle 04-21-2012 11:13 AM

Did a 10% water change on my 30g FW and added a powerhead as I've been getting a film on the water surface and did a 20% water change on my 10g SW qt tank and did a little ghost feeding to keep my worms, snails, and assorted tiny living things happy.

ErinMcG 04-21-2012 01:20 PM

Swapped out my good filter for my back up one because the good one kept stopping :(
Moved some of the filter media, so water should be ok, but I will have to do a lot of water tests over the next bit to keep an eye on the parameters.

Tetra1990 04-21-2012 02:04 PM

Took out all of my java fern that I had planted in my sand. I was told here that java fern needs to be tied to something and to let the roots free float. so that's what I did. As I was tying everyone on to a large root decoration, I noticed at least 12 daughter plants. I'm very new to keeping live plants, but I must be doing something right to have young ferns sprouting.

Alyxx 04-21-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Picked up some sunburst platys and red wag platys along with some mystery snails for my sons tank. I believe at least one is pregnant..
For my daughters tank 2 Mollies and a mystery snail. Was going to move the 2 I already have, but when we got home one was dead :(
After they all have been qt for a while will move a mystery snail or 2 to the main tank and the remaining Molly to my daughters tank.
On a side more I actually got good info at my local petsmart today. My son asked about a striped fish he really wanted (can't remember what it was) and the sales man actually told him no because his tank wasn't big enough!
Walmart had some green spotted puffer fish. SO cute! They would follow my finger up and down the tank wall. Totally wanted one or 2 but I don't have a brackish tank and I've vowed never to buy fish at Walmart.
Any way that was my day..

I wouldn't ever buy puffers from my Walmart, they are always black bellied (sign of stress or illness in puffers), their bellies are sunken in (sign of internal parasites, which most green spotted puffers have when first imported) and they are kept with the African cichlids so they are always beaten up. When I see them there they are almost always all dead or dying and beaten up. I got mine from my LFS in wonderful condition, I bought four and only lost one in the first weeks, the other three are happy and healthy and a year and a half old. They got a nice 50% water change today and a cube of frozen bloodworms. I need a new light for their tank, though. That's what I've done so far, the other tanks will probably get a water change today too. I ended up with a surprise day off from work since they were too slow to even need me to come in.

Tetra123 04-21-2012 02:24 PM

Moved my only cory to a 10g. Did a water change on both my tanks.

Bubbles0oO 04-21-2012 02:44 PM

Water change in the nursery. Net over some large fry to the big tank. Added root tabs for my swords. Fed the new corys.

Attachment 90271

His name is big Mac , and he's 4x larger than all the other Cory's lol

smomus 04-21-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyxx

I wouldn't ever buy puffers from my Walmart, they are always black bellied (sign of stress or illness in puffers), their bellies are sunken in (sign of internal parasites, which most green spotted puffers have when first imported) and they are kept with the African cichlids so they are always beaten up. When I see them there they are almost always all dead or dying and beaten up. I got mine from my LFS in wonderful condition, I bought four and only lost one in the first weeks, the other three are happy and healthy and a year and a half old. They got a nice 50% water change today and a cube of frozen bloodworms. I need a new light for their tank, though. That's what I've done so far, the other tanks will probably get a water change today too. I ended up with a surprise day off from work since they were too slow to even need me to come in.

They actually had their own little cubical tank. Tiny pleco and half dead plant was all that was with them. Most of them looked pretty healthy other then their fins were sketchy. Kind of raggedy. Not sure if it was fin rot or they were nipping each others fins. I'm jealous you have some of these cute guys.
I'm about to do a pwc on my betta tank and put a black divider up instead of the white one.

phoenixkiller 04-21-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra123 (Post 1910246)
Moved my only cory to a 10g. Did a water change on both my tanks.

Yeah, I did a 50% water change on my 55 and my 10 today.

angelvelez87 04-21-2012 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
50% water change on my 36gal and my 20 gal!!

Alyxx 04-21-2012 06:17 PM

Well, I decided to make a brine shrimp hatchery after I found an old air pump. Put it together and then realized the pump wasn't putting out air. Took it apart, fixed it, and got it all working, then in an attempt to put a hole in the cap of the 2 liter bottle I was using I cut a deep gash in my pinkie finger. Once I stopped the heavy bleeding, went right back at it with a different tool and got it together! However I think my 20 gallon is going to wait a day or two for a water change. Don't feel like getting my cut possibly infected with something...

okapizebra 04-21-2012 06:31 PM

Did a 30% water change on my 29 and 10 gallons and a 50% change on the 5 gallon. Also cleaned out some plants. Anacharis makes such a mess!

ErinMcG 04-22-2012 12:56 AM

Bought some black sand for my tank at last! Couldn't afford to buy loads because I couldn't find anything black outside my LFS :( so I bought one bag. It won't be enough. But, I thought I might put a layer of gravel on the bottom below the visible part and then put sand on top... I wonder if that will work. I confess that looking at my tank, I am not sure it will do the job.

Mrc8858 04-22-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinMcG
Bought some black sand for my tank at last! Couldn't afford to buy loads because I couldn't find anything black outside my LFS :( so I bought one bag. It won't be enough. But, I thought I might put a layer of gravel on the bottom below the visible part and then put sand on top... I wonder if that will work. I confess that looking at my tank, I am not sure it will do the job.

Have you looked for blasting sand..they sell 50lbs for like $5 at tractor supply co

gilley 04-22-2012 01:38 AM

did a 10% watre change and gave them a snack..