Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Fibsog 10-20-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2692465)

Speaking of hemit crabs out of the 4 blue legs i put in the 37g only 2 survived due to the puffers hungry belly! Finished building the stand after 36 pieces of wood,63 screws, and some black spray paint!

He ate the hermies? Nuuuu! How did he get them out of the shells?

Fishman007 10-20-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fibsog (Post 2692480)

He ate the hermies? Nuuuu! How did he get them out of the shells?

Hes a crazy little guy. He has a giant beak that he used to crack the mantle of one and then he just ripped the other out. The half eaten bodys just laid there inbetween live rock for a couple hours until someone or somthing ate them, must have been a crab or the puffer finishing his meal lol. My new blue tuxedo urchin found the cracked shell and is wearing it around the tank! They sure are stylish!

Fibsog 10-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2692481)

Hes a crazy little guy. He has a giant beak that he used to crack the mantle of one and then he just ripped the other out. The half eaten bodys just laid there inbetween live rock for a couple hours until someone or somthing ate them, must have been a crab or the puffer finishing his meal lol. My new blue tuxedo urchin found the cracked shell and is wearing it around the tank! They sure are stylish!

Wow lol

Fishman007 10-20-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fibsog (Post 2692742)

Wow lol

Yeah urchins are funny! One time i had my peppermint shrimp die of unknown causes and he got stuck in the skimmer intake. We found out and unplugged it and as soon as we did the shrimp shot out into the puffers mouth. He chewed on it a little and then let it float to the botttom of the tank where the snowball urchin picked it up and set it on his back. When i tried to get it off of him he put up a good fight but eventually he decided to give it up. I love urchins... :)

wilkieam 10-20-2013 05:46 PM

Boyfriend dumped me last night...

Finally got the motivation to get out of bed around noon, fed the fish, and I'm cleaning their tank later today.

Krissycakes 10-20-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkieam (Post 2692957)
Boyfriend dumped me last night...

Finally got the motivation to get out of bed around noon, fed the fish, and I'm cleaning their tank later today.

Sorry to hear that, hope you have a good day today!

Turned on lights and fed all the fish.

shellyx 10-20-2013 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Re homed all my kuhli loach today :( my elephant nose really doesn't like company so it's just him now and he's loving it!

Attachment 203331

Attachment 203332

Excuse the plants I'd just dropped them in :)

Fishman007 10-20-2013 08:40 PM

That dwarf puffer i got has ripped my fish to threads! Got home and found my rams and neons tails half missing and ragged. Hope they can survive until tommarow

Autumnsky 10-21-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2693064)
Re homed all my kuhli loach today :( my elephant nose really doesn't like company so it's just him now and he's loving it!

Attachment 203331

Attachment 203332

Excuse the plants I'd just dropped them in :)

That guy has given you the run around!!! Again and again and again.

Well...

Trip was delayed another couple days.

Oh and just to remember when you clean out your canister filter (like a very big FX-5) make sure to check behind the door for your lid gasket, or when you screw down the locks, the water will squirt out by the gallon onto the floor, drown your air pump and make an extremely HUGE mess.

Also you might as well clean out the impeller and motor too or you will need to unhook everything for a 3rd time to get it running again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I cleaned the heck out of the thing with treated water and rearranged the media. Yikes was it murky in there!

The tank is a mess because of a cloudy filter blurp and just need that FX-5 to do its thing!!!

Picked up some Siamese Algae Eaters on sale for 1.49 each

I really miss my twin ones I had before. There were only 2 left so I now have twins again, I hope they continue to be pals when they grow up like my other ones.

My Betta seems to be moving around the tank more and tried to eat a pellet of food. Hope he is healing!

shellyx 10-21-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2693480)

That guy has given you the run around!!! Again and again and again.

Well...

Trip was delayed another couple days.

Oh and just to remember when you clean out your canister filter (like a very big FX-5) make sure to check behind the door for your lid gasket, or when you screw down the locks, the water will squirt out by the gallon onto the floor, drown your air pump and make an extremely HUGE mess.

Also you might as well clean out the impeller and motor too or you will need to unhook everything for a 3rd time to get it running again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I cleaned the heck out of the thing with treated water and rearranged the media. Yikes was it murky in there!

The tank is a mess because of a cloudy filter blurp and just need that FX-5 to do its thing!!!

Picked up some Siamese Algae Eaters on sale for 1.49 each

I really miss my twin ones I had before. There were only 2 left so I now have twin again, I hope they continue to be pals when they grow up like my other ones.

My Betta seems to be moving around the tank more and tried to eat a pellet of food. Hope he is healing!

Tell me about it! He's even started to roll all my snail's to the corner of the tank when he gets fed talk about grumpy!
Just noticed through the thread that you lost your shark, so sorry to hear this :( I know how much she meant to you.
It's nice to hear you've bought yourself some more Siamese algae eater's i hope they keep well for you :)

cmwalters 10-21-2013 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After weeks of water troubles with my mom's 10 gallon, I finally bit the big one and took the whole thing down and started over. Bought an aquaclear 20, a really nice piece of driftwood, and planted some rotala clippings from my tank. More plants are coming soon, but my lfs is closed on Mondays. Here's to hoping this round goes well.

Masha 10-21-2013 12:38 PM

That's a seriously nice piece of driftwood, CMWalters!

cmwalters 10-21-2013 01:19 PM

Thanks! My lfs always has some really good pieces. The picture doesn't even do justice to the amount of cracks and caves and crevices in this piece. Tons of character.

54seaweed 10-21-2013 02:43 PM

water changes and cleaning all tanks prepping for a delivery tomorrow some coral and plant macro's also replenishment of feeder shrimp and a yellow watchman goby also hermits
also starting a new maintenance log after 2 years the book is full lol

Tleyton 10-21-2013 04:59 PM

New plants in the mail today! Planted my willow hygro, lemon bacopa, and amazon sword. I have a 55 g tall, wish I had longer arms or a shorter sand to reach to the bottom without straining myself :) looks pretty though :)

54seaweed 10-21-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tleyton (Post 2693941)
new plants in the mail today! Planted my willow hygro, lemon bacopa, and amazon sword. I have a 55 g tall, wish i had longer arms or a shorter sand to reach to the bottom without straining myself :) looks pretty though :)

What no pictures !!!:D

Tleyton 10-21-2013 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lol...sorry... Here's the whole thing...waiting on driftwood coming next week. :)

Attachment 203500

Fishman007 10-21-2013 07:28 PM

Traded the devalish dwarf puffer for a small bunch of anacharis. The guy at the lfs is always giving me this crap about he doesnt knos they are gonna live so i cant get credit or have a trade, but this time i guess he was in a good mood

Fishman007 10-21-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwalters (Post 2693634)
After weeks of water troubles with my mom's 10 gallon, I finally bit the big one and took the whole thing down and started over. Bought an aquaclear 20, a really nice piece of driftwood, and planted some rotala clippings from my tank. More plants are coming soon, but my lfs is closed on Mondays. Here's to hoping this round goes well.

You scored on that wood! Nice tank aswell, what are you gonna stock it with?

kjacks 10-21-2013 09:07 PM

Keeping a eye on my female cray today... saturday night my male pulled one of her claws completely off so she is alil at a disadvantage until it regrows.. poor thing tries to climb up on the plants and falls upside down i watched her struggle a few minutes not wanting to baby her in case it happens while im gone but i couldnt stand it so i helped..

Got a amazon sword and some mystery snails that will be shipped out tomorrow.. so excited cant wait...

My mom finally got on board abd she wants a salt water tank so i have been researching it and showing her the different fish to see what she wants.. and of course shes like me and it either will not go with the other fish or needs a bigger or species only tank :/ gonna take sometime to figure out but once i get her figured out itll be all good.. practice on hers and then ill get me one ;)

audifusion 10-21-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacks (Post 2694253)
Keeping a eye on my female cray today... saturday night my male pulled one of her claws completely off so she is alil at a disadvantage until it regrows.. poor thing tries to climb up on the plants and falls upside down i watched her struggle a few minutes not wanting to baby her in case it happens while im gone but i couldnt stand it so i helped.. Got a amazon sword and some mystery snails that will be shipped out tomorrow.. so excited cant wait... My mom finally got on board abd she wants a salt water tank so i have been researching it and showing her the different fish to see what she wants.. and of course shes like me and it either will not go with the other fish or needs a bigger or species only tank :/ gonna take sometime to figure out but once i get her figured out itll be all good.. practice on hers and then ill get me one ;)

Every man has a breaking point .... Apparently it also applies to crustacean....

Fishman007 10-21-2013 09:58 PM

On the anacharis i got are alot of Ram horn eggs, my male GBR loves chewing on them lol

kjacks 10-21-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audifusion (Post 2694303)
Every man has a breaking point .... Apparently it also applies to crustacean....

Lol... yea apparently...
My male cray made me mad and then the hubby said if i didnt come sit down and watch tv he would snap one of my arms off too..... lol

Autumnsky 10-22-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2693534)
Tell me about it! He's even started to roll all my snail's to the corner of the tank when he gets fed talk about grumpy!
Just noticed through the thread that you lost your shark, so sorry to hear this :( I know how much she meant to you.
It's nice to hear you've bought yourself some more Siamese algae eater's i hope they keep well for you :)

Thank you about the RTS. I read that it is a common age for them to live to, I hope it was old age.

The two new SAE are so fun to watch. They are still young, but are very similar in behavior to the original twins. I missed them so much! I am glad I got the new ones, I may get a new RTS too. Off on my trip tomorrow or the next day.

shellyx 10-22-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2694542)

Thank you about the RTS. I read that it is a common age for them to live to, I hope it was old age.

The two new SAE are so fun to watch. They are still young, but are very similar in behavior to the original twins. I missed them so much! I am glad I got the new ones, I may get a new RTS too. Off on my trip tomorrow or the next day.

Have a lovely time and take care Lesley

Canary bird 10-22-2013 07:51 AM

Re homed my 2 male mollies and 1 male platy and 6 Molly fry :(

Fibsog 10-22-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2692749)

Yeah urchins are funny! One time i had my peppermint shrimp die of unknown causes and he got stuck in the skimmer intake. We found out and unplugged it and as soon as we did the shrimp shot out into the puffers mouth. He chewed on it a little and then let it float to the botttom of the tank where the snowball urchin picked it up and set it on his back. When i tried to get it off of him he put up a good fight but eventually he decided to give it up. I love urchins... :)

Ah, made me laff. :3

cmwalters 10-23-2013 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Planted moms 10 gallon today. Pardon the mess, It was planted no more than 20 minutes ago.

TheCommunityCichlid 10-23-2013 04:55 PM

Water change, rescape on my panduro tank, also moved the fry into their 2.5 gallon.

Fishlover3578 10-23-2013 05:05 PM

50% WC on 29ga and 20gal after medicating with API liquid super Ich cure .... 20 gal I put carbon in cuz it looks ich free but in 29 gal I have one guppy with a spec or two of ich on it ... I may remedicate the 29 gal

BBradbury 10-23-2013 05:23 PM

Today...

Nothing special going, but large water changes and did a little maintenance on the emersed land plants in the tank. I change lots of tank water every week and emersed the Chinese Evergreen in the tank water. The old water coming out of the tank is nearly the same color as the new water going in. The plants keep the water almost pure, it's pretty amazing.

By maintaining pure water conditions, my Livebearers stay healthy and live a fairly long time. The Corydoras are the real longlivers, though. The Albinos are 3 years old and the Emeralds and Bronzes are all about 6. By following an aggressive water change routine, you never have to fret over water chemistry problems, which is likely the reason for most if not all tank problems. Dissolved fish wastes never have time to foul the tank water before you remove them and the Evergreens keep the nitrates in check.

B

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-23-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 2696244)
Today... Nothing special going, but large water changes and did a little maintenance on the emersed land plants in the tank. I change lots of tank water every week and emersed the Chinese Evergreen in the tank water. The old water coming out of the tank is nearly the same color as the new water going in. The plants keep the water almost pure, it's pretty amazing. By maintaining pure water conditions, my Livebearers stay healthy and live a fairly long time. The Corydoras are the real longlivers, though. The Albinos are 3 years old and the Emeralds and Bronzes are all about 6. By following an aggressive water change routine, you never have to fret over water chemistry problems, which is likely the reason for most if not all tank problems. Dissolved fish wastes never have time to foul the tank water before you remove them and the Evergreens keep the nitrates in check. B

Let's see some pics of you tank! :)

Fishlover3578 10-23-2013 06:11 PM

Well after a recheck it looks like the ich is all gone but I'm not so sure cuz there was still 2 spots on one fish after ich med treatment was done should I wait or get more meds ... Don't want to use salt because I have cory catfish

BBradbury 10-23-2013 07:56 PM

Hey Brill...

Would love to. However, I've maxed out the pic allotment on this site. But, if you want to PM me, with your e-mail address, I'll take some and send them to you.

B

Fishlover3578 10-23-2013 10:02 PM

Came home to my favorite male guppy dead his bk fin frayed ... He wasn't swimming much to begin with only had him about a week :( bagh I'm done with Petsmart I'm lucky if half what I get there lived guess I will be driving half our or more if I want more Fish.....

Fresh2o 10-24-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 (Post 2696574)
Came home to my favorite male guppy dead his bk fin frayed ... He wasn't swimming much to begin with only had him about a week :( bagh I'm done with Petsmart I'm lucky if half what I get there lived guess I will be driving half our or more if I want more Fish.....

Just stared at my tanks today.

I haven't bought fish in a year. For real. Yes, I've purchased shrimp and snails this year but no fish. Last time I bought fish I also brought home Ich. Promised not to buy anymore until I did QT first. Still have the ones I got last October and most of the ones I bought 3-4 years ago. Happy with the ones I got and don't like to overstock. Been concentrating on plants and shrimp.

jwh0818 10-24-2013 12:38 AM

Picked up a FREE brand new 75g tank with light for FREE! Gotta love workin at petsmart!

Krissycakes 10-24-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh0818 (Post 2696765)
Picked up a FREE brand new 75g tank with light for FREE! Gotta love workin at petsmart!

Lucky! I get 20% discount. I can't complain. It's better than full price. Nice score!!!

★As for topic, I had to put my betta in a 5g bucket temporarily so I can rehome her. And because I needed her bowl for growing plants=(

Fishlover3578 10-24-2013 02:43 PM

Set up my other new fluval filter system couldn't figure out why it would not work... Added 2 gal to tank and it works now ... Lol my room is much quiter now kinda weird tough it's not complelty silent like the other new fluval ...

aaronjohn20 10-24-2013 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did a 40% or so pwc on the 46g bf. Haven't been on here in awhile.

Attachment 204041

Attachment 204042

Attachment 204043

Fishman007 10-24-2013 08:10 PM

Got some cryptocoyneo undalated at lfs and got some seachem flourish fertilizer for my other tank

Delapool 10-24-2013 08:20 PM

Ordered a larger canister filter which will hopefully arrive next weekend.

Cichlid ism 10-24-2013 09:38 PM

Did a 50% pwc on my tank. Also checked my parameters and all is good. Fish are happy again :)

Fishlover3578 10-25-2013 12:09 AM

I may do another WC maybe 25% if I have time tomorrow to be on safe side no ich sighns for 2 days in both tanks :) will run carbon a week before adding snails back

kjacks 10-25-2013 01:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well i ordered more mystery snails and a amazon sword for my tank.. i added some jungle vals and dwarf sag in the cray tank sinc my female is gone my male is pouting ...

I found my mom a 90g saltwater tank ill b starting a thread on tonight a i know basically nothing about salt so help is welcomed ill be picking the tank up this weekend for her and hopefully setting it up quick (still has fish and water in it and will until we come get it)

Attachment 204125

Attachment 204126

jwh0818 10-25-2013 01:22 AM

Lets see, I moved my 4g evo betta tank and added plants, did a 5g waterchange on my 36g and added evap to the 20g and looked at an empty 75g. Also took a nice video of my 36g tank. Take a look! Im very proud of this tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htv-...e_gdata_player

Fishlover3578 10-25-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh0818 (Post 2697913)
Lets see, I moved my 4g evo betta tank and added plants, did a 5g waterchange on my 36g and added evap to the 20g and looked at an empty 75g. Also took a nice video of my 36g tank. Take a look! Im very proud of this tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htv-...e_gdata_player

Nice tank

Fishman007 10-25-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacks (Post 2697901)
Well i ordered more mystery snails and a amazon sword for my tank.. i added some jungle vals and dwarf sag in the cray tank sinc my female is gone my male is pouting ...

I found my mom a 90g saltwater tank ill b starting a thread on tonight a i know basically nothing about salt so help is welcomed ill be picking the tank up this weekend for her and hopefully setting it up quick (still has fish and water in it and will until we come get it)

Looks like your gonna get a flame and a valentini too! Two of my most favorite out of my fish! Do hou have a RODI system? Send me a link to the thread

Jaketit 10-25-2013 09:11 PM

Just sitting here staring at the tank and realized. Man these fish are like dogs. Just siting there waiting for me to feed them. I just sat down. Off to the fridge I guess.

Daniel Fishy 10-26-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaketit (Post 2698782)
Just sitting here staring at the tank and realized. Man these fish are like dogs. Just siting there waiting for me to feed them. I just sat down. Off to the fridge I guess.

Thought the same thing tonight and fed them.lol

kjacks 10-26-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2698421)

Looks like your gonna get a flame and a valentini too! Two of my most favorite out of my fish! Do hou have a RODI system? Send me a link to the thread

Here is the link..

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...rt-283426.html

I think she has a rodi system on her main water tank the filters look the same and it purifies the water im checking into that more. Tbose are 2 that she interested in more so the angel...

Actually to my tanks i havent done much today i put my plants back in the substrate thanks to my cray .. he up rooted them threw them down and went back to his cave ..

I spent the day researching my moms tank with her and showing youtube videos for her to get a idea what she likes so i hve a idea what to do..

Tomorrow after work ill pick her tank up and have it all setup and ready when she gets home..

Ran and bought a bucket of salt today and ordered more stuff online for alot cheaper then our local stores ..

jtez 10-26-2013 04:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Went to the LFS and got some plants, prime, algae wafers and gravel & heater

Did a 40% PWC on my tank, added another sword and a java fern, as well as a java fern. Water has gone cloudy from disturbing the sand/gravel. Fed my cories an algae water for the first time, took them a while to realise it wasn't just a rock!

Set up a 4gal betta tank that will be a birthday present for the girlfriend in just over a months time, hope to get it cycled by then :)

Delapool 10-26-2013 08:41 AM

Swapped the canister filter from one side of the cabinet to the other to make room. Took ages. Thought my male platy had died but was just sleeping on his tail behind the filter somehow. Bouncing fine now at any rate. Spotted some baby platys and mollies, then did a water change.

Fishman007 10-26-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacks (Post 2699079)

Here is the link..

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...rt-283426.html

I think she has a rodi system on her main water tank the filters look the same and it purifies the water im checking into that more. Tbose are 2 that she interested in more so the angel...

Actually to my tanks i havent done much today i put my plants back in the substrate thanks to my cray .. he up rooted them threw them down and went back to his cave ..

I spent the day researching my moms tank with her and showing youtube videos for her to get a idea what she likes so i hve a idea what to do..

Tomorrow after work ill pick her tank up and have it all setup and ready when she gets home..

Ran and bought a bucket of salt today and ordered more stuff online for alot cheaper then our local stores ..

Ok thats good. Just checking up

Fishman007 10-26-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtez (Post 2699161)
Went to the LFS and got some plants, prime, algae wafers and gravel & heater

Did a 40% PWC on my tank, added another sword and a java fern, as well as a java fern. Water has gone cloudy from disturbing the sand/gravel. Fed my cories an algae water for the first time, took them a while to realise it wasn't just a rock!

Set up a 4gal betta tank that will be a birthday present for the girlfriend in just over a months time, hope to get it cycled by then :)

Seed it with your other media from your other DP.

jtez 10-26-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2699299)

Seed it with your other media from your other DP.

I want to but I'm only running a small internal filter on my DT and I'm not confident enough to take any of the media out haha. Will filter wool have the BB needed? I could always swap that out i guess.

wilkieam 10-26-2013 09:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cleaned and redecorated the 10g today, pruned the swords and took a few things out because it looked too crowded...

Attachment 204412

Attachment 204414

Attachment 204413

After all was said and done I noticed a whitish spot on my DG and I'm not sure what it is... Could it be ich? Or just a few loose scales? He appears not to be getting along with my glassfish very well during feeding time, but the glassfish takes the brunt of the abuse so I'm not sure.

Attachment 204415

Ayi 10-26-2013 09:11 PM

Found some mystery eggs in the 20h. I don't know what they are, there's a thread in the breeding section.

Fishman007 10-26-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtez (Post 2699770)

I want to but I'm only running a small internal filter on my DT and I'm not confident enough to take any of the media out haha. Will filter wool have the BB needed? I could always swap that out i guess.

It would have some, get a sponge, stick it in your DT filter, after a week or two stick it in the cycling tank, instant cycle!!!

cmwalters 10-27-2013 12:41 AM

One of my pristella tetras died today. Params are fine and everything else is doing perfect. It was one of the bigger ones so maybe it was old age. Who knows. Other than that, I just fed them and turned the lights on and off.

Fishman007 10-27-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwalters (Post 2700039)
One of my pristella tetras died today. Params are fine and everything else is doing perfect. It was one of the bigger ones so maybe it was old age. Who knows. Other than that, I just fed them and turned the lights on and off.

Trimmed anacharis, turned off the lights 2 hours ago, fed the loaches a night time wafer, sitting next to the tank right now watching the night life of the 20 long. Wish i could move the 20g to my room. For christmas im gonna set up a 55g in the place of the 20g, maybe then. Added some evaporated water and did a 10% wc.

Fishlover3578 10-27-2013 02:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Went to friends house and my other friend that is her roomate has 2 Betta I gave her..... Was very disappointed in thier condition ... She's on vacation and said I could watch them for her so I took them with me ... I may try see if I ca have them back if she is unwilling to do more WC on thier tanks .. The ones color is aweful ... Her is before an after pics

Attachment 204436

Before

Attachment 204439

After

Fresh2o 10-27-2013 09:57 AM

(Actually last night) trimmed the older leaves from the crypts and dwarf sag in my planted tank that have either BBA or a black form of Staghorn algae. Also trimmed the numerous runners from the broadleaf chain swords. They can be very invasive. 40% WC.

Fishlover3578 10-27-2013 06:11 PM

50%wc on 20g and 29g and 100% WC on all Betta bowls exempt on two I just got last night I did a 50%wc

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-27-2013 09:17 PM

Set up my "chunk of the backyard" tank. It's a normal tank that slopes up to land. I'll have a frog, some newts and/or salamanders, and a school of chili rasboras. It's going to be heavily planted both on and off land. The soil is natural dirt from outside with a few root tabs. I'll post a pic tomorrow or whenever it mostly clears up.

Fishman007 10-27-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2700917)
Set up my "chunk of the backyard" tank. It's a normal tank that slopes up to land. I'll have a frog, some newts and/or salamanders, and a school of chili rasboras. It's going to be heavily planted both on and off land. The soil is natural dirt from outside with a few root tabs. I'll post a pic tomorrow or whenever it mostly clears up.

Sounds cool make sure you get those pics in!

Fishman007 10-27-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2700917)

Is it gonna be a biotope? What types newts and frogs

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-27-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2700929)
Is it gonna be a biotope? What types newts and frogs

I'm not sure actually. I might literally take a chunk of the backyard literally though. So I would get eastern red-spotted newts, spring peeper frogs, and possibly change the rasboras for nh minnows. IMO that would be really cool. I'd have to check the laws on keeping those species in captivity though.

Fishman007 10-27-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2700946)
I'm not sure actually. I might literally take a chunk of the backyard literally though. So I would get eastern red-spotted newts, spring peeper frogs, and possibly change the rasboras for nh minnows. IMO that would be really cool. I'd have to check the laws on keeping those species in captivity though.

Wait, is this inside?

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-27-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2700949)
Wait, is this inside?

Lol yes but in a secluded room of which you cannot hear anywhere because it has sound proof doors. Maybe even then I'd get really annoyed by the peeping when I'm looking at my fish... lol.

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-27-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2700957)
Lol yes but in a secluded room of which you cannot hear anywhere because it has sound proof doors. Maybe even then I'd get really annoyed by the peeping when I'm looking at my fish... lol.

Yes definitely scratch the spring peeper that would annoy me to death. Instead a green frog would be more suitable.

Fresh2o 10-28-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2700966)
Yes definitely scratch the spring peeper that would annoy me to death. Instead a green frog would be more suitable.

Sounds like an interesting project, especially if eastern red spotted newts (partial to them, hence the avatar).

In my planted tank I applied excel on some remaining patches of BBA. The ones that were treated the day before are already turning pinkish red.

Alan79 10-28-2013 02:42 AM

Ok first post here. I had a busy sunday yesterday. I spent the morning buying a few extra things in preparation for converting my 20g goldfish tank (which i recently added plants & C02 to). I looked over my stone collection and decided it was too varied and not interesting enough in general for my liking. So i packed a bag and walked to a local waterway near where i live in search of better rock.

I also plan to dirt a small tank as a shrimp tank with local flora and Australian shrimp. So i packed a few collection bags and walked to a lagoon that seasonally empties into a large creek. It's fairly dry now so i collected some aquatic looking plants that grow with a dry phase. I have about three species that i hope will do well.
- A Rosette plant which grows leaves up to about 10cm in the plants i saw. It has a tuber root which i am hoping i can train to grip a rock or driftwood. It grows a tiny violet flower as well.

-A running style plant that has small round leaves that are less than half a cm across. I found some anchored on the ground (fairly thick ground cover) as well as floating free in the water.

- I also swiped a small chunk of moss off the root of a tree that would normally be fully submerged. Hopefully that grows well underwater.

- A tube grass that may or may not grow submerged.

I'll be on the lookout for a native aquatic grass to add to my setup when i can get to more waterways. I plan to dirt the tank and use the dry start method i read about.

Anyway my main priority was to find rocks or a nice bit of driftwood that had already had some soaking. No good driftwood was to be found but i got some good black rock (a couple of pieces shot through with streaks of quartz) that i scrubbed and soaked in boiling water. When my bag had about 10kg of rocks and i couldn't find any different plants to take as specimens i went home. Scrubbed the rocks clean and soaked them in boiling water a few times and cleaned up my plant specimens and put them in some containers to get see how well they grow in different amounts of water (mud, muddy water with soil from where they were dug up and fish tank water).

I then drained some water from the tank into an esky (which is currently my largest back up fish tank) and gave them a water change. I then emptied the 20g, cleaned it and prepared it for the arrival of some dirted substrate. It took me till almost midnight to get done with layering the substrate, setting up my stone feature, planting and refilling the tank, but it's all starting to look good. The water is still very cloudy and i plan to fill the foreground with grasses, maybe look at reducing my stone feature which is taking up more space than i thought it would. I may do a water change today or tomorrow and look at adding my goldfish again (I plan to rehome them and get more interesting fish once my grasses go in).

jtez 10-28-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2701306)
I also plan to dirt a small tank as a shrimp tank with local flora and Australian shrimp

Welcome to AA :)

This sounds like an awesome idea, what shrimp have you got planned?

Fishlover3578 10-28-2013 09:27 PM

Well I tested my dads tank cuz he said his fish were dying .., ack ammonia.25 and nitrate 180! So u said he should do 75% or 50% WC now . He did 50% and brought nitrate to 80 and he added nitraban to his tank. I said he should do 75% WC tomorrow and then I will test again I figure he will need to do WC several days in a row amazing he still has 2 glo fish 3 black neon 1 feeder guppy and 3 zebra danio left In his 55gal plus ton of nerite snails

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-28-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 (Post 2702142)
Well I tested my dads tank cuz he said his fish were dying .., ack ammonia.25 and nitrate 180! So u said he should do 75% or 50% WC now . He did 50% and brought nitrate to 80 and he added nitraban to his tank. I said he should do 75% WC tomorrow and then I will test again I figure he will need to do WC several days in a row amazing he still has 2 glo fish 3 black neon 1 feeder guppy and 3 zebra danio left In his 55gal plus ton of nerite snails

Any idea what caused the spike?

Fishlover3578 10-28-2013 09:33 PM

I believe he overstocked ... I warned him I believe he would need more WC ... Guess he didnt believe me cuz he bought over 12 fish for 55 gal cuz it only had 10 fish already in .... He was only Doing WC 10% a week which may have been the other factor . The ph is about 8 and the nitrite was 0 plus he prob didnt watch it close enough an remove dead fish fast and he didnt do wc even though he saw fish dying .... Sigh he has owned fish longer than me . I thought he would know better .. My mom had probs with her tank keeping fish alive so that's how I got my tank... They use water softner system water and my dad doesn't believe me tht its not good for fish

cmwalters 10-28-2013 10:57 PM

Same as usual here lately, just fed, dosed flourish, and turned the lights on an off. My 20 has been put on the back burner in the past week or so due to an exam that is tomorrow morning. After that, it is overdue a water change and overall maintenance. The filter needs some TLC and the glass needs a scrubbing.

Krissycakes 10-29-2013 12:45 AM

Had my parents baby sit the tanks last night. They did a fair job considering the last time my dad fed my fish it was more than enough (gosh I love my dad haha) but he redeemed himself today. The lights were turned off and everything. Today I just cleaned up the area around my tanks. Not bad of a day in the fish world.

kjacks 10-29-2013 12:52 AM

Ugh what a week not much i havent done to tanks.. have spent so much time on moms tanl.that i have neglected mine this week... my africans have injured one od my fish and he is now swimming upside down.. i separated him .. noticed tonight 2 teaming up on him chasing around the tank went to the bathroom came back n his tail was chewed up almost gone and he was upside down.. still very much alive though.. gonna keep him separated and watch him closely although it doesnt look good :/

Moms tank is good i actually have done a decent job transitioning to salt even though its different i have it for the most part.. i have did a small water change to reduce the temp bc even without a heater her tank is reading 82F so planning ahead for the dead of summer next year bc its actually decent weather here now.. my tanks have heaters and arent that hot .. but i keep my home cold ..

Feed the trigger n puffer snails tonight it was my fav part and i fed the anemone but trig took it ...

Got a friend sending shilping bags so i can rehome trig to a bigger tank..(friends getting a 180) he will b happier although he seems happy now but better safe then sry .. he came with the tank or we wouldnt have gotten him.

Oh n i have been teaching mom how to do the maintence on her tank to which is a hassel.. dad thinks he knows everything so i keep stressing what not to do .. i dont think he listens :/

Edit: and it gets better i just found a dead oto skeleton my plants had hidden only found it bc a ton of baby snails were on it.. what a day ...

cmwalters 10-29-2013 01:05 AM

In other news, my Christmas moss is growing like a weed. Which is good because I want it to carpet one side of my tank. I like the looks of it and my Otos love to sit in it.

Aqualady40 10-29-2013 01:26 AM

Today, I did a 50% PWC because I added another bag of Floramax & rescaped my 40B, added 2 different species of java ferns, & added 4 new panda cory catfish...

kjacks 10-29-2013 10:37 AM

Doing a pwc on my 125g n 55g then heading to moms to do a small change on her tank bc the ammonia spiked alil high ... then off to my real job :/

rpgmomma8404 10-29-2013 11:48 AM

Other then turning lights off and on. Feeding fish. Nothing, lol. I do my water changes on Monday's and Thursday's. Do have future plans though but it might be a bit before it all happens.

Fishman007 10-29-2013 11:53 AM

Did a 10% wc on the 20g, fed everyone, added salt, and am watching the fish

Fishlover3578 10-29-2013 12:22 PM

So decided to help dad out and after work do 50% WC then he ca do another when he ets home to get his nitrate down from 80 ... He has a siphon without a pump in it... Bleach I drank tank water .. :(

Fishman007 10-29-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 (Post 2702718)
So decided to help dad out and after work do 50% WC then he ca do another when he ets home to get his nitrate down from 80 ... He has a siphon without a pump in it... Bleach I drank tank water .. :(

Happend ro me once also

Fishlover3578 10-29-2013 01:11 PM

Makes me glad mine has a pump lol they won't ever have a frog cuz my mom swallowed a frog once that way lol

cmwalters 10-29-2013 02:28 PM

Happened to me once on my moms 10 gallon. Of course it was after a nasty protein film had built up to the point of causing huge bubbles on the surface. Never could figure out the water problems while we had the filter that was on the tank at that point. Switched to aquaclear and the cycle is on track now. Also, plan on going to the lfs to put in an order on some Pygmy cories and maybe some cpds soon.

Cageyme 10-29-2013 03:59 PM

I did a water change today and added some Prime to combat the ammonia spike that I have been dealing with the last few days. The levels are almost back to normal again. My betta died over the weekend and I didn't find its body quickly enough and that started the whole mess. A few of the danios died, too, but the others are hanging in there. On the upside, in removing decorations to find the corpse, I discovered where the assassins have been hiding (inside the volcano), and I found a lively red cherry shrimp! I thought they had all been eaten months ago.

Fishman007 10-29-2013 06:09 PM

Changed out nasty pollyfill in the 20g with new, watching the fish

Fishman007 10-29-2013 06:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the 37g reef.

Attachment 204854

Attachment 204856

Attachment 204857

Attachment 204855

Attachment 204858

Fishlover3578 10-29-2013 07:28 PM

50%wc on 20gal and 29gal . Still doing daily WC on Betta I'm watching that I had given to a friend but I may refuse to give them back due to how thier health was when I took them to watch them ... Still trying get thier color back and to be more active ... Will do WC on my 7 Betta tomorrow

Bearchumjs 10-30-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2703140)
Here are some pics of the 37g reef.

gorgeous!!

Bearchumjs 10-30-2013 01:43 AM

Did a 2 gal water change on my nano reef. I took the filter and power head completely apart and cleaned them really well. Back to working wonderfully again! I ticked off Blue when I pushed a little sand down in his hidey hole but he will get over it. It wi give him something to do. :) I need to kill more aiptaisia again.

Reaper216 10-30-2013 01:46 AM

Noticed the glass top on my tank was getting extremely hot from the lights, so i used a couple of cans of tuna to raise the lights up off the tank a little bit for the time being. I want to get a small fan to pull some of the heat out.

Other than that I added a little water, and fed them. Tried bloodworms for the first time today and they went nuts over them! I think I might keep it down to twice a week or so.

Brilliant_Barbs_21 10-30-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper216 (Post 2703712)
Noticed the glass top on my tank was getting extremely hot from the lights, so i used a couple of cans of tuna to raise the lights up off the tank a little bit for the time being. I want to get a small fan to pull some of the heat out. Other than that I added a little water, and fed them. Tried bloodworms for the first time today and they went nuts over them! I think I might keep it down to twice a week or so.

The fish are probably scarred from seeing canned tuna :D

Alan79 10-30-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtez (Post 2701473)
Welcome to AA :)

This sounds like an awesome idea, what shrimp have you got planned?

Haha. It's nice to have a support group for your addictions. I have tried getting plants in my aquarium before but they've always died off. Now that i have some idea what i'm doing, hopefully i can turn my tank into a jungle.

Well i read about the method for the shrimp tanks at this link.

www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

At the moment i'm looking at the aquagreen catalogue and they have three Australian varieties for sale. These are the two I'm interested in.

AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet
AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet

It doesn't mention how well they breed but i may buy a second 5g tank so i can keep the shrimp apart to give the slower breeding variety a chance.

So for the last few days i've been doing a 20% water change daily (it got very cloudy after dirting the tank but is clearing up very nicely. I put my two comets back in there and they don't seem to be digging into the soil layer.

I went looking for some different plants today and was rewarded for my walk when i saw a mother duck teaching about 10 ducklings to jump off a 2 foot causeway into some water. Very cute and i have a video on my phone (which refuses to transfer files at the moment). My nephew also told where a goldfish was in this creek I was exploring that was about 1 foot long. I spotted him. It's a very healthy looking Comet.

I found some Azolla plants which i like the look of as a surface cover more than the Duckweed i collected last week. That was all i could find really. If i can't find an aquatic grass soon i'll just buy something. I've been enjoying the walking but I think i have almost every plant from this specific waterway at this point. There is quite a lot more of it to explore though so i'll spend a few more sunny afternoons in search of plants.

My list of identifiable finds so far is
Duckweed
Azolla
Bacopa Caroliniana common names lemon bacopa or water hyssop

I also have a couple that i don't think will submerge.

Canary bird 10-30-2013 09:44 AM

About to do a 50% wc on my 200litre,80litre and 25litre, and then start cleaning up a 40litre I was given this morning ;)

Fishman007 10-30-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs (Post 2703706)
gorgeous!!