Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 11-16-2013 02:07 AM

Yesterday cleaned the filter in the 37G, my prefilter sponge was gunky. I also cleaned a huge handfull of dead plants leaves out of the 72G. Refilled water level.

Today I saw my Koi Angel being SOOOO mean and realized the pair spawned AGAIN, before I even got them into the other new space, a week ago I think! Maybe it was 10 days....I fed them a little extra for all their hard work. Now I really have to get the fish moved, and get them into their own space.

The male is fertilizing them now, in between slamming the other fish who get too close. This time they picked the DW to lay eggs on. I am a little worried for the other fish. Though they are starting to pay attention to the Momma and Pappa when they turn in their direction, and flee BEFORE getting rammed! My pictures are full now but I will get some pics and post Sunday.

Alan79 11-16-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak (Post 2721970)
Perspex scratches easy, why not glass? 10 mm should be ok providing it isn't too big/deep. I can see a 75 being born soon! Wood will need some pretty heavy duty supporting frames, that could be tank space.

A fish store near me filled a paddling pool for kids with big regular fish, normally offered in most stores.
It was a display so you could see what you might end up with.

I had thought about a kids pool for the present actually. I'll see what is available locally tomorrow for the short term. But the long term plan with this tank and hopefully Brutus (who might have 18 years left in him) is to couple his tank with an aquaponics set up to grow some of the rarer aquatic plants i can collect here in Australia or just some fruit's herbs and vegetables to eat. I have many plans since joining the AA community.

If i have Brutuses 75G outside in a small scale glasshouse i figure the perspex would be less likely to break if bumped and adding some styrofoam to clad it in winter wouldn't be such an issue. Perspex might be cheaper too for now. I have a room at the moment i can house this in but long term the plan would be to house it in the greenhouse i'll eventually get round to building.

If i went with plywood and perspex i could use a steel 90 degree frame, then add the wood or perspex inside. It needn't be pretty i'm happy with functional for the time being. My budget isn't great right now thanks to a blown head gasket :(. All my power tools were stolen about a year ago too so i'll either replace them or do it with a lot of elbow grease.

Quote:

I DIY built a few tanks, it isn't that difficult if you are handy, some people are good with the brain some are good with the hands. Which are you? :(
I could stand to be better in both departments if i'm being honest but i get by usually in either department. The good thing for me at the moment is that i have a bunch of friendly people here to check on what my brain devises and if need be my nieces grandad is a retired builder who is a perfectionist and would probably jump at the opportunity to help build something interesting. My niece has a cubby house that is lacking only running water thanks to her grandad. We had a nephew use it as a granny flat for 4 months. If my handiwork is lacking I'll recruit him to help. If he helps it will probably wind up being a 500G thing that locals would pay to see. He's dedicated and bored.

Quote:

I used manufactured tank specs to get an idea of glass spec.
Tube or two of silicone, bobs your mothers brother.

If you are residing in UK I know a fairly good online store with reasonable tank costs. Stands extra but if you are handy, DIY.

Ponds like all things constructed can be destructed. :thumb:
As mentioned above the financial situation right now is not great with the engine needing work. Once that is fixed (next fortnight hopefully) i will get all the materials together and build Brutus a permanent home. I have a sliding budget at the moment for the car. If my car was healthy last weekend i could have made a cash offer for 3x1foot tank that a nursing home was giving away for free which only needed water fish and transporting home from Sydney. It had some nice LED lights filtration and heating too. Should have hired a rental car in hindsight. But for now the finances are limiting.

I love your fish room set up by the way. I read through that thread but might not have commented. I need to buy a house before i attempt something like that. Or hijack my dads 2 car garage and move in there :rolleyes:

J.Mcpeak 11-16-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2722508)
I had thought about a kids pool for the present actually. I'll see what is available locally tomorrow for the short term. But the long term plan with this tank and hopefully Brutus (who might have 18 years left in him) is to couple his tank with an aquaponics set up to grow some of the rarer aquatic plants i can collect here in Australia or just some fruit's herbs and vegetables to eat. I have many plans since joining the AA community.

If i have Brutuses 75G outside in a small scale glasshouse i figure the perspex would be less likely to break if bumped and adding some styrofoam to clad it in winter wouldn't be such an issue. Perspex might be cheaper too for now. I have a room at the moment i can house this in but long term the plan would be to house it in the greenhouse i'll eventually get round to building.

If i went with plywood and perspex i could use a steel 90 degree frame, then add the wood or perspex inside. It needn't be pretty i'm happy with functional for the time being. My budget isn't great right now thanks to a blown head gasket :(. All my power tools were stolen about a year ago too so i'll either replace them or do it with a lot of elbow grease.

I could stand to be better in both departments if i'm being honest but i get by usually in either department. The good thing for me at the moment is that i have a bunch of friendly people here to check on what my brain devises and if need be my nieces grandad is a retired builder who is a perfectionist and would probably jump at the opportunity to help build something interesting. My niece has a cubby house that is lacking only running water thanks to her grandad. We had a nephew use it as a granny flat for 4 months. If my handiwork is lacking I'll recruit him to help. If he helps it will probably wind up being a 500G thing that locals would pay to see. He's dedicated and bored.

As mentioned above the financial situation right now is not great with the engine needing work. Once that is fixed (next fortnight hopefully) i will get all the materials together and build Brutus a permanent home. I have a sliding budget at the moment for the car. If my car was healthy last weekend i could have made a cash offer for 3x1foot tank that a nursing home was giving away for free which only needed water fish and transporting home from Sydney. It had some nice LED lights filtration and heating too. Should have hired a rental car in hindsight. But for now the finances are limiting.

I love your fish room set up by the way. I read through that thread but might not have commented. I need to buy a house before i attempt something like that. Or hijack my dads 2 car garage and move in there :rolleyes:

Thank you for your comment:thumb:
Employ the builder, uncle grandpa? his knowledge will be useful, all of my motor mechanics tools got robbed from the shed, things I got from my apprenticeship, gutted!
I was keen to build my house but without the builder buddy, probably I would still be waiting. I am responsible for the tanks that's all me, the double garage is my next upgrade! Hey dad, how are you mate, nudge nudge! Fancy a beer? Yeah just sign here:thumb:
Bored dedicated builder, it's all in that one phrase!

What I will say, if you have considered how much longer the fish will live for which some people don't, I think you may go to the ends of the earth to keep it.

Alan79 11-16-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak (Post 2722517)
Thank you for your comment:thumb:
Employ the builder, uncle grandpa? his knowledge will be useful, all of my motor mechanics tools got robbed from the shed, things I got from my apprenticeship, gutted!
I was keen to build my house but without the builder buddy, probably I would still be waiting. I am responsible for the tanks that's all me, the double garage is my next upgrade! Hey dad, how are you mate, nudge nudge! Fancy a beer? Yeah just sign here:thumb:
Bored dedicated builder, it's all in that one phrase!

What I will say, if you have considered how much longer the fish will live for which some people don't, I think you may go to the ends of the earth to keep it.

The only reason i am hesitant to employ Grandpa at the moment is for the fear he will take the project over. It will be a better looking longer lasting tank if he gets involved though:lol:

Sorry to hear about the tools being burgled. It's not a nice feeling to know the things you earned and valued will probably be sold off for next to nothing by someone who's hardest work is carrying away ill gotten goods.

My dad might not be keen on the fish room in the garage but my wicked stepmother used to have a nice tank so i could probably get her to win him over to the idea :devil:

J.Mcpeak 11-16-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2722577)
The only reason i am hesitant to employ Grandpa at the moment is for the fear he will take the project over. It will be a better looking longer lasting tank if he gets involved though:lol:

Sorry to hear about the tools being burgled. It's not a nice feeling to know the things you earned and valued will probably be sold off for next to nothing by someone who's hardest work is carrying away ill gotten goods.

My dad might not be keen on the fish room in the garage but my wicked stepmother used to have a nice tank so i could probably get her to win him over to the idea :devil:

As soon as you mentioned being robbed it's like yep, I know that feeling!
The trouble is hands need tools.

The tradesman, in this case grandpa, he will know stuff you couldn't possibly comprehend without spending a lifetime building stuff. My mate/boss-ish who took on my project had the answer for any problem I presented, it was great, I learned so much in the few weeks build time it is unbelievable! If it's a friendly deal you can be taught so much as no one is on a time scale, time=money business type transaction.
I like the angle on the wicked stepmum! Send your old man on walkabout, take her out for dinner, a business dinner I might add! Invite grandpa, by the time he gets back, that's an army of three! Chip the old fella down! :rofl:

Fishman007 11-16-2013 12:39 PM

Scraped off the really tough green algea on the 37g, tank looks great now. Gonna do a weekly glass cleaning with the scraper. Works like a charm ;) even got into the sand bed a little and stired it up.

54seaweed 11-16-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Scraped off the really tough green algea on the 37g, tank looks great now. Gonna do a weekly glass cleaning with the scraper. Works like a charm ;) even got into the sand bed a little and stired it up.
I never use a scraper as it tends to scratch the glass over time I use a green scotch brite pad , it even gets spots you can't get with the scraper
a little more elbow grease but works great , as for the sand my yellow banded maroon clown and yellow watchman goby keep it stirred up ,

Fishman007 11-16-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2722769)

I never use a scraper as it tends to scratch the glass over time I use a green scotch brite pad , it even gets spots you can't get with the scraper
a little more elbow grease but works great , as for the sand my yellow banded maroon clown and yellow watchman goby keep it stirred up ,

Wanted to get a blue spotted watchman, but my tank is overstocked as it is. I do 8g wc once a week and have over filtration and a powerful skimmer. I also have 70lbs of live rock which has a crap load of bb and a bunch of filter feeders (sponges, feather dusters, and even alot of barnicles) which allows me to be overstocked. I am going to be moving my biggest fish (flame angel) over to my new tank and maybe a couple of the gobys (purple fire fish, clown goby who is in QT)

Fishman007 11-16-2013 02:23 PM

54seaweed could you name out the sizes of your tanks and some pics?

cmwalters 11-16-2013 03:12 PM

Getting a 5.5 gallon today for a shrimp tank. Also might keep a few male endlers or something.

Fishman007 11-16-2013 03:24 PM

Just went to the lfs looking for a skimmer and return pump for the 60g cube and found what i was looking for! Heres what i got- seaclone150 skimmer-65$, marine land 6g full moon nano which will be turned into a reef-70$, 5lbs of live rock-30$, 20lbs of lie sand-20$ :D happy with my buy today!

Fishman007 11-16-2013 03:55 PM

Heres a link to my build thread on the 6g full moon nano reef-https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/6g-full-moon-nano-reef-build-286161.html

Fishman007 11-16-2013 04:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Also found some hitch hikers on the new piece-

Attachment 207882

Attachment 207883

Attachment 207885

Attachment 207884

In pic 1 you might be able to see the half eaten starfish my puffer has been enjoying lol. As you can see everyone is loving the new rock, and the blenny has already claimed it as his. Lots of dead and living sponges too

Attachment 207886

Found some worms moving around inside the sponges and crawling around on it. The puffer has eaten a few of them aswell. That makes 75lbs in the 37g lol

Fishlover3578 11-16-2013 04:47 PM

Got a lil bit of java moss free with my purchase of a male killifish . Now I have two males and two females in my 29 g

shellyx 11-16-2013 08:12 PM

Did a 50 % clean on my vampire shrimp tank and cleaned filters. Needing to add some more plants.

shellyx 11-16-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2722973)
Also found some hitch hikers on the new piece-

In pic 1 you might be able to see the half eaten starfish my puffer has been enjoying lol. As you can see everyone is loving the new rock, and the blenny has already claimed it as his. Lots of dead and living sponges too

Found some worms moving around inside the sponges and crawling around on it. The puffer has eaten a few of them aswell. That makes 75lbs in the 37g lol

You have a beautiful looking tank!

Fishman007 11-16-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2723208)

You have a beautiful looking tank!

Thanks, its been up for 4 months.

Fishman007 11-16-2013 08:28 PM

Well fiddled with the new 6g full moon for 2 hours trying to figure out which cords go together out of the 6 there are, the filter is apparently broken and so are the lights except for the moon light which does nothing. Found that one of the wires had seprated from the other and is broken, and am gonna be giving the tank back to the lfs if they will even take it after unwrapping the bio-wheel and the filter cartridge.

Btw guys i got this tank out of the box and it was on sale for that reason (70$) hope the lfs will give me an inbox one or one that is out of box that actually works but the only reason they said they were getting rid of it was because it was out of box and they didnt want it anymore.

J.Mcpeak 11-16-2013 09:21 PM

Just food, treatment finished yesterday, tanks will be worked on tomorrow. 3 days no water care! Following meds. instructions.

Puffer doing good. :D

Still have problems with 2 tetra, could be egg bound? Feed them mosquito larvae bloodworm and flake.

Otherwise all ok.

Ayi 11-17-2013 11:47 AM

All water changes are done and fed brine shrimp.

Fishman007 11-17-2013 11:58 AM

Did a 3g wc on the QT, fed the fish brine shrimp and emerald entree.

Fishlover3578 11-17-2013 11:59 AM

Checked on new fish in both tanks . I had one of the smallest platy fry die so I too it out and tested both tanks and both tanks were good

Ayi 11-17-2013 04:30 PM

I just realize one of my yellow lab fry was born with out a tail. He is now one of my favorites because he is funny to watch.

54seaweed 11-17-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2722840)
54seaweed could you name out the sizes of your tanks and some pics?

The first link is to my 37g bowfront

February 2013 Tank of the Month: 54seaweed's 37 Gallon Mixed Reef

This link is to my 40b build still need to do a lot of updateing

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-a-241983.html

and a recent pict of it

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...dd7625e531.jpg

and here's my all my tanks 20L , 35g hex , 37g bow , 30g , 40b ,

I will try to get the build tread updated soon :thumb:

J.Mcpeak 11-17-2013 06:59 PM

Long Hard Day. Sunday 17th.

45 litre -16 +20

120 litre +38 +10ml flora boost.

Puffer +5

750 litre +200

Euthanise 2 black neons H. Herbertaxelrodi. Suspect NTD, anti bac/anti par no effect. Symptoms worse if anything over treatment course. Other fish ok or improvement except one Cory Paleatus.

Night feed joy.

H3F4D 11-17-2013 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
had in ammonia break out recently from over feeding / stocking ! pumped out 75% water and cleaned rocks! put everybody back and theyre back to bein happy !

Fishman007 11-17-2013 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tested the cycling 20 long and the two Ns were off the charts! Ammonia was 0 though :D. Boiled up two giant rocks i found at the swamp and the 2nd is waiting for tommarow in the driveway. The 20 long is as clear as ever for some reason lol

Attachment 208140

cmwalters 11-17-2013 09:03 PM

Lots of maintenance. A 50% water change on the 20G, took some of the chain swords and planted them in the new 5.5G as well as got a new piece of driftwood covered in windelov java fern. When I did the water change on 20G I did some filter maintenance as well as cleaned the glass. Everything is looking good now. Long day though lol

NadiaG 11-17-2013 09:13 PM

Sundays are my PWC days. Cleaned up the tank on the outside, did testings, added vitamins. So all my fishies are happy happy happy and ready for the week!

Fishman007 11-17-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwalters (Post 2724374)
Lots of maintenance. A 50% water change on the 20G, took some of the chain swords and planted them in the new 5.5G as well as got a new piece of driftwood covered in windelov java fern. When I did the water change on 20G I did some filter maintenance as well as cleaned the glass. Everything is looking good now. Long day though lol

Happy to know that the 5g is coming along nicely!

cmwalters 11-17-2013 09:30 PM

I am way too impatient lol I want this thing to be finished.

Rodeo one 11-17-2013 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had this brilliant idea to move everything in the 28g Bowfront & move it into a free 50g I just got. (Those bowfronts mess with my vision). Took all day of course, was questioning my decision several times thru out the process . But, all done & no fatalities so far! Even my little, I mean teeny , shrimp babies.

Attachment 208163

Rodeo one 11-17-2013 10:11 PM

After pic on the left.....

Aidanflower 11-17-2013 10:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well todayyyyy i got a purple tang! When i put him in he imediatly started socializing with all the other tank mates. Come feeding time he was out competing for food with everyone.
The cool thing that happened is that before i put him in my hippo and sailfin tang didnt eat the macro algae. But when i put him in they saw him eating the algae and decided they liked it too. With in a half hour all of the tangs were eating the algae together.

I have a 90 gallon tank and i know that three tangs is pushing it but they are all fine with each other.

SKB 11-17-2013 10:39 PM

Had to separate tailless (firemouth) from my other fish. kept instigating fights and finally outdid himself. Was hidden all day Saturday and was not happy. Good thing I had another tank sitting around suitable for him!!

Ndefil 11-17-2013 11:18 PM

Did a 40 % change on 20 long tank said goodbye to one dwarf rainbow fish still have two left and also flushed one cardinal tetra still have 4 and the 6 baby harlequin rasboras are doing great did a water test everything's good ph is little high at 7.2

Ndefil 11-17-2013 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the picture

Ndefil 11-17-2013 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And more

Alan79 11-18-2013 05:07 AM

Before work this morning i rearranged all my power outlets so i had my filters on the one power board and my lights just connected to an extension chord with a timer and double adapter attached. Fed both Comets and went to work.

I stopped at the LFS on the way home from work and bought a couple of ramshorn snails to add as a clean up crew. I wanted to buy a Kuhli loach which had just come into the shop but i know nothing about them so i just left with snails.

Got home, did 50% water change on both 20g. Added a snail to each tank. I also brushed a little brown algea off 1/3 of my ludwigia and maybe 2 stems of Cabomba before i decided i have snails to do it now. Replanted everything that my big comet had torn out today :fish2:

Delapool 11-18-2013 05:20 AM

Insecticide bombed the house as spiders getting bad. All fish in the main tank and QT doing well so far after taking covers off.

54seaweed 11-18-2013 12:58 PM

Well I found out this morn the best news I've ever got !! it's actually 2 parts :D :D

First I found out that my baby girl (19yrs) that I haven't seen in almost 12 years decided after staying with me and my wife seeing how a teenager is supposed to live , not always cooped up not being allowed to do anything , she wants to make this her new home ,

THANK YOU SANTA :thanks::thanks:

Now for the second part, I have to move all my tanks out of the room I had them in, well rather than all the tanks Santa is bringing me a 125g tank so I can combine my 2 reef tanks into 1 and place it in the living room , I plan on putting a divider in the center of the tank so my stock don't clash/kill each other , today I plan on drawing up plans on the sump I will be using my 40b a I want it set up so even with the divider the tank will still be 1 system , I will be using egg crate to divide the tank , since I'm not to good with setting up the sump I will getting help from friends who already have done it and know how to do it correctly so I have no accidents/floods in my living room ,
so now I'm going to be busy today drawing up plans
Also need to find homes for my fresh water tank and also my brackish tank
I hope a friend local will take them in now I just need to ask

Thanks again SANTA.............. :D :D

So now you all know what I'm doing today
Now what are you doing :D:D

Fishlover3578 11-18-2013 02:03 PM

Fis are all good except on female just lays on bottom of tank . She is a pregnant guppy been laying on bottom for days I have her floating I a half gal container in tank with freshwater and bubbler to see if it helps

trustemedia 11-18-2013 02:27 PM

I moved stock around. Moved 55 stock to 30 barely any fish in there. This made room to move my young melanogenys, callochromis fry, and eventually my xenotilapia ochrogenys ndole bay fry. Melanogenys started mating behavior in 24 hours. So glad i moved them. Rearranged. Water changes. Cleaned filters, etc.

Fishman007 11-18-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aidanflower (Post 2724456)
Well todayyyyy i got a purple tang! When i put him in he imediatly started socializing with all the other tank mates. Come feeding time he was out competing for food with everyone.
The cool thing that happened is that before i put him in my hippo and sailfin tang didnt eat the macro algae. But when i put him in they saw him eating the algae and decided they liked it too. With in a half hour all of the tangs were eating the algae together.

I have a 90 gallon tank and i know that three tangs is pushing it but they are all fine with each other.

Looks good, love the sail fin (or desjardini cant tell from the pic lol)

J.Mcpeak 11-18-2013 07:19 PM

Sometimes it just isn't fun.

750litre +100 clowns ok.
120litre +12 stock ok.
45litre +5
1 C.paleatus not well. 50:50 is being kind.
Can't bring myself to euthanise, it's 4th gen.:nono:
Sometimes fine, sometimes, well sometimes it isn't.

Puffer -10 +12 SG 1.002 :D

Despite how much puffers rock and how great the clowns are the thought of killing the Cory sure dampens joy. :(

Day/night feed.

Aidanflower 11-18-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2725136)
Looks good, love the sail fin (or i cant tell from the pic lol)

Thanks i am very happy with the purchase and it is acclimating AMAZINGLY. And yes it is a desjardini tang (i didnt know how to spell it so i just left it out haha) sorry for the blurry pic of the three because they are all moving and it was on my phone

Fishlover3578 11-18-2013 09:22 PM

Well my female died shortly after qaurentine and trying some meds....she was not ready to birth yet but was preety close ... I know sounds weird but I cut her open to see if she had any viable fry ... I cleaned my filter pads ... Way overdue it was mud water when I rinsed them and I added xtra sponge to 29g and dipped it in mud water just to try save some bb

Fishman007 11-18-2013 09:27 PM

Got a couple pieces of live rock about 6lbs, it had a bunch if algea growing on it so lucky me! Added some more bb to the 20g to help cycle a little and did a wc to cut down on nitrates in there too. Doseing ammo ATM, boiled the ladt to rocks from the swamp and am waiting for them and the water to cool of as one of the rocks is 60lbs and is gonna be immposible to lift out while its scorching hot lol.

Fishman007 11-19-2013 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres the tank rearanged everything and getting new rocks and taking the DW and somemore rocks out :) i think it looks good how about you guys?

Attachment 208400

Attachment 208401

Fishman007 11-19-2013 04:56 PM

They seem to have little feet to.

Oops wrong thread lol

J.Mcpeak 11-19-2013 06:10 PM

750, +50
120, +10
45, -9+10 filters complete.
Puffer +3 Tank SG 1.003

Day/night feed.

Alan79 11-20-2013 08:36 AM

Feeding and fish watching. Seeing new fin and tail growth of 1-3mm in the last few weeks from my big Comet and his color has improved since the tank is planted. Will re-home him this weekend to a mini pond (one of those clam shells pools for kids). It isn't much extra volume but it gives him more freedom to swim with the rounded shape until i find or build a 75G.

Fishman007 11-20-2013 05:41 PM

Noticed a bunch of white worms swimming around and crawling on the glass and decor in the cycling 20g, also found a bunch of clear domes eating up my plants! Might nuke the tank with ammo to kill the stuff...

Ayi 11-20-2013 05:53 PM

I found a dead yellow lab. All params are in check and I think it was ok age because he was the biggest at about 4.5 inches. An I found a holding female lab so I put her in with the babies I have now.

Fishlover3578 11-20-2013 06:00 PM

Fed fis tested water ... Can't seem to get rid of ammonia being between 0 and .25 all the fish look good I added prime to I can do a WC

J.Mcpeak 11-20-2013 08:26 PM

Close call!

Just food, oh and my Cory is swimming like she used to!:popcorn::thumb:

Puffer is great! Clowns are great! Fish are great!

Fishman007 11-20-2013 10:11 PM

Scraped the crap out of the glass on the 20, trying to get these worms off! My plants are all being eaten too. Good thing im doing a fishless cycle on the 20 because the nitrates are 80 and the nitrites are 5, also the Ph went up from 7.4 to 8.8! What the heck is going on???

Never doing this fishless cycle again

cmwalters 11-21-2013 09:46 PM

Last night I got a pair if scarlet badis for my 5.5, some habrosus corys for moms 10, and a few more RCS. I have to say, I am in love with my badis. Such a cool fish.

freckles 11-21-2013 11:17 PM

I put the final coat of polycrylic on my new 50 gallon aquarium stand! It's the culmination of three days' work so I'm very happy to be done with it!

Autumnsky 11-22-2013 04:47 AM

Just saw the Koi Angels being pretty territorial, I am wondering if they moved the eggs instead of ate them this time.

I have been working so much and had family stuff keeping my attention elsewhere. So maybe.

Filled some water in the tanks from evaporation and fed tubiflex freeze dried worms and other stuff last night. Tomorrow is frozen brine shrimp day.:thumb:

Going to look for the angel eggs and drop into bed exhausted.

Also I have a thread about a fish tank build for a RV, keeping some shrimp at least, if anyone is up to the challenge, lol. It started from April 2012. Still wondering...
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-202518.html

The Trooper 11-22-2013 07:07 AM

Yesterday i finished laying out the decor of my new tank, waiting on cansiter filter arriving.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...191d7ff650.jpg

Nimo 11-22-2013 07:18 AM

I refurbished a 30 gallon long tank and stand. Its not up and running yet but I plan to make a frag tank out of it.
I bought a second hand 110 gal. That has everything from sump/refuge phosphate reactor protein skimmer to LED lights in the canopy. Its a real nice set up.

Cageyme 11-22-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwalters (Post 2728850)
Last night I got a pair if scarlet badis for my 5.5, some habrosus corys for moms 10, and a few more RCS. I have to say, I am in love with my badis. Such a cool fish.

I had to google the scarlet badis. Very cool!

cmwalters 11-22-2013 12:39 PM

They are so cool. They have such an interesting personality; they are very deliberate with their movements and they seem so smart.

Nimo 11-22-2013 02:59 PM

Just got done plumbing a 110 gal. Now on the way to LFS to get reef crystals and some other supplies so I can fill it up.

Fishman007 11-22-2013 05:25 PM

My uncle gave me 2 10gs and a 20 long today! :D probably gonna use the 20g for clownfish pair, 1 of the 10s for a guppy breeding tank, and the 2nd 10 as a breeding tank for some apistos or rams. First before anything happends i gotta get my mom to agree to do it, hope it works out! :)

Fishman007 11-22-2013 05:26 PM

actually gonna keep some cili rasboras and scarlet badis with some RCS in one of the 10s instead of the guppy breeding tank.

Fishman007 11-22-2013 06:13 PM

Turns out he has 2 20 longs and the 10g, probably gonna do a convict pair in the extra 20, what do you guys think? Should i do a lake tank with the 2nd 20? Some frogs, newts, and white clouds? Would like to here you guys opinion!

J.Mcpeak 11-23-2013 11:00 AM

Trouble with internot prevents post!

Thur 21st:-

45litre -20+22
750litre +50, add second fx5 (which leaked about 20 litre, needed draining (22litre) fixed leak, refill restart, all OK.

Day/night feed

Got some great pics of clowns, full set on Flickr, mini set on new fish house thread. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html

Fri 22nd:-

45litre -10+10
750litre -100+100
Puffer -10+12@1.004 Tank SG 1.003 clean filter complete.

Day/night feed

Saturday to follow! (Water on)

Fishman007 11-23-2013 02:35 PM

Do you guys think i should do a Single fish in the 10g? Like a GSP or somthing else? My mom agreed on the 20 FOWLR so yay! Also i will be setting it up in my room so another yay! The other 20 is gonna be setup after the 20 FOWLR. And the 10 around the same time as the first 20

The Trooper 11-23-2013 02:52 PM

New filter installed and running, i've also re arranged the decor, i think it looks ok :)

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...ed6d8a22fc.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...7faae26f82.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...35f7f0e5fd.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...a4a1fb4381.jpg

Fishman007 11-23-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Trooper (Post 2730163)
New filter installed and running, i've also re arranged the decor, i think it looks ok :)

What type of canister filter? Have it on my 37g reef and never found out what it was...

The Trooper 11-23-2013 03:10 PM

All pond solutions (UK & Europe) and i believe it's sold as Sunsun on that side of the pond?

J.Mcpeak 11-24-2013 03:26 PM

Sat 23rd, day/night feed

:popcorn:Return of the Jedi was on the telly!
:oops:I got intimate with a bottle of whiskey, game over!

Sun 24th,

120litre -38 +26 Fluval 205 clean complete (2 new sponges) +5ml N+P.

45litre -10 +10

Puffer -6 +6 @1.006 Tank SG 1.004

750litre -50 +100

Night feed. (To follow)

Stock OK, not convinced on Cory, not well again! Aaaaaarrrgh!
The others are doing a dance!

Krissycakes 11-24-2013 11:14 PM

Just bought 3 more tanks. When will it end. Lol Feed frozen brine shrimp to the pals. And ran the lights for 7 hours. All is well. Except 3 of the albino cories I got as a bday gift, have passed away.

Masha 11-25-2013 12:46 AM

Lowering temperature on my quarantine tank after doing 10 days of heat treatment for ich on my new black widow tetra and peppered corys.

White spot stopped showing after second day and fish showed no sign if stress at any point.

Highly recommended this method of treatment. But it's SUCH a relief to be able to return the temperature to normal.

Masha 11-25-2013 02:09 AM

Wait - forgot.
Am planning to put some of my plants in pots, with pottingsoil capped in gravel. I don't like the look of the pots so I attacked them with pliers and filed down the sharp edges. Terracotta is really soft!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n...540-no/pot.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-V...40-no/pot2.jpg

jtez 11-25-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2731652)
Wait - forgot.
Am planning to put some of my plants in pots, with pottingsoil capped in gravel. I don't like the look of the pots so I attacked them with pliers and filed down the sharp edges. Terracotta is really soft!

That's really neat, is it getting pushed down into your gravel or just sitting at the back?

Masha 11-25-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtez (Post 2731684)
That's really neat, is it getting pushed down into your gravel or just sitting at the back?

I want to bury it into the gravel as much as I can, but the gravel isn't deep enough to completely bury it. Probably will get placed as deep in as I can, and near the back.

Alan79 11-25-2013 07:10 AM

Thats a good idea with filing down the pots Masha.

Morning- Small feed for both tanks before work.

Afternoon- Larger feed then a 50% water change on 2 x 20G.

Trimmed back both tanks which had some really long Ludwigia stems and replanted them to make some fairly dense stands. This is such an easy plant to grow. I did the same with my Cabomba but it isn't growing quite as wildly. I also scrubbed some algae off leaves.

During the scrubbing i found three bunches of snail eggs which i assume are from the Ramshorns i bought on Friday. I should have a large population soon if they lay eggs in these kinds of numbers.

Masha 11-25-2013 08:23 AM

Thanks, Alan!

Could be used to make a little cave too, I suppose.

Today's big event is ...
I think my new aquaclear filter is finally cycled! I was starting to think the nitrite spike would never end.
Man, that makes me happy.

Ayi 11-25-2013 01:55 PM

WC/ top offs on all tanks. Everybody's doing great.

ddodad 11-25-2013 04:25 PM

Did a large pwc and some pruning of the plants. I realized that when I was on vacation my fish were overfed so my mts population sky rocketed, my lfs was having a buy 2 get 3 free assassin snails so added 5 assassins today hopefully they will get them into check. (2$ for 5 isn't too shabby)

stingrays4 11-25-2013 04:43 PM

Hi actually more of what I done yesterday! Just done a PWC on both tanks,but planning on changing both tanks as I am not happy on the big tanks progress:nono: on a brighter note my B/Ns have bred again:) Oh and also babysitting two goldfish till the spring!

J.Mcpeak 11-25-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2731545)
Just bought 3 more tanks. When will it end. Lol Feed frozen brine shrimp to the pals. And ran the lights for 7 hours. All is well. Except 3 of the albino cories I got as a bday gift, have passed away.

:thumb:
Never!

J.Mcpeak 11-25-2013 04:54 PM

Just food today.
All ok.
Cory still alive, back to 50:50.:nono:

Fishman007 11-25-2013 05:55 PM

Gonna pick up the two 20s and the 10 on thanksgiving, that will make 7 tanks! 4 salt and 3 fresh lol.

The Trooper 11-25-2013 06:01 PM

Started my fishless cycle and sniffed the ammonia :( It smells so baaaad

J.Mcpeak 11-25-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Trooper (Post 2732258)
Started my fishless cycle and sniffed the ammonia :( It smells so baaaad

:rofl::facepalm:

Krissycakes 11-26-2013 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend drew this for me for Christmasツ I am thankful, I told her to draw a sketch of something that reminds her of me. She drew this and I am thinking of making in my tank background with black.

Attachment 209324

Bearchumjs 11-26-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2731600)
Lowering temperature on my quarantine tank after doing 10 days of heat treatment for ich on my new black widow tetra and peppered corys. White spot stopped showing after second day and fish showed no sign if stress at any point. Highly recommended this method of treatment. But it's SUCH a relief to be able to return the temperature to normal.

That's how I treated my tank for Ich when my feather fin catfish (a new addition at the time) had Ich. It worked great and I haven't seen any Ich since.

Bearchumjs 11-26-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2732765)
My friend drew this for me for Christmasツ I am thankful, I told her to draw a sketch of something that reminds her of me. She drew this and I am thinking of making in my tank background with black.

thats beautiful!

Masha 11-26-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs (Post 2732773)
That's how I treated my tank for Ich when my feather fin catfish (a new addition at the time) had Ich. It worked great and I haven't seen any Ich since.

It really does work. The only potential problem I've read about is if your water quality is not great, or if the fish has been severely nipped, or combination of those. Apparently that can lead to an increased risk of columnaris. But if your water is good and the fish are otherwise fine, it's a great treatment.

Masha 11-26-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Attachment 209324

That is beautiful! A lovely gift :)

Krissycakes 11-26-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearchumjs (Post 2732774)
thats beautiful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2732811)

That is beautiful! A lovely gift :)

Thanks you guys. I hope my fish like it;)

Nimo 11-26-2013 07:19 AM

Yesterday. Moved my hubbies 29 gal to a different location to make room for a new to us 33 gallon long that we are thinking about turning into a frag tank. About a 50% water change in the 29 and set up the 33 long

Nimo 11-26-2013 07:23 AM

Test tanks 110 gal. Salt 29 gal salt 33 gal salt and 60 gal salt Do a big water change in the 60 and then sit back and enjoy the reef.

Brilliant_Barbs_21 11-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

You're lucky haha. My friends make fun of my fish knowledge haha

Krissycakes 11-26-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2733069)

Aw=( well I appreciate your knowledge=)

jmay33 11-26-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2733069)

Get a job at a fish store. Your friends will visit you and all of a sudden your knowledge is cool.