Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Alan79 01-19-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darylb (Post 2797007)
I moved my tank from my bedroom to the lounge room was a really big mission

Yeah running tanks add a level of difficulty to the process because the fish can't be just thrown anywhere. Had to fill an extra tank to move a new tank in a short while ago. I had planned to move another tank in my kitchen during the tank shuffle but lost the motivation when i thought of a 100% WC on a 4th tank to moveit 8 feet into another room. I still have to move it but am building a stand for 2x20g on bottom shelf with a 4' 40g on top. Fun times. Once it is done i get to choose 3 new communities of fish to spread out between 80 gallons though. I would like a tank with more depth to go on top.

Fresh2o 01-19-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2796999)
I failed at making a DIY bubble counter today. Turns out that 3/5 of the one way valves i bought in one pack leak from the side and one of the bottle tops with tubing insert now leaks a lot after squeezing bottles to find leaks

2 out of 5 check valves I've used have failed. I use a plastic syringe to test it. Was not a problem in my DIY CO2 setup because it was under low pressure (just feeding it in the HOB filter). But when I switched to a ceramic diffuser, the back pressure introduced new problems. Went back to the previous method.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2796999)
No wonder i start falling asleep when i watch the 20g tank

got a chuckle after reading this.

Galligak 01-19-2014 09:48 AM

Did some water changes on all my tanks and rearranged some plants yesterday.

But the big thing was talking to my aunt who has a 29g aquarium--and knows very little--and getting her to understand some of the chemistry behind aquariums and how to properly stock it. Sure she just bought 2 common plecos but when they die (I know this sounds horrible) we're going to get her a bushy nose pleco! And get her school of neons up to size:). And she's interested in a planted tank so I'm going to bring her back some moss, guppy grass, and java fern. This a beginning of a wonderful new aquarium keeper!!

Darylb 01-19-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2797029)

Yeah running tanks add a level of difficulty to the process because the fish can't be just thrown anywhere. Had to fill an extra tank to move a new tank in a short while ago. I had planned to move another tank in my kitchen during the tank shuffle but lost the motivation when i thought of a 100% WC on a 4th tank to moveit 8 feet into another room. I still have to move it but am building a stand for 2x20g on bottom shelf with a 4' 40g on top. Fun times. Once it is done i get to choose 3 new communities of fish to spread out between 80 gallons though. I would like a tank with more depth to go on top.

Yea I had a spare tank set up to hold some water all my rock went into a plastic tub and my fish went in another one I still have to arrange the rock when I get home tonight the tank was a bit cloudy last night because I changed it from bare bottom to aragonite sand

Atticus 01-20-2014 12:24 AM

Just did some feeding and water testing again. It appears my tank is cycled so it's back to deciding what to add to my tank.

Ayi 01-20-2014 02:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got an AC 50 and some hornwort. After that I did a water change and replant. Attachment 217742
I also found a bunch of Cory eggs on my mag float.Attachment 217743

Krissycakes 01-20-2014 05:00 PM

Did WC on my 20g and 10g, placed some plants in my 3g Betta tank and rearranged plants in my 20g. Taking out plants I do not want anymore. Fed all fish. Life is good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

beautifulbettas 01-20-2014 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two new fish!!Attachment 217793Attachment 217794

Alan79 01-21-2014 08:34 AM

Tank watched, fasted the 20g in the morning gave flakes in afternoon. The first Kuhli i bought still gets very stressed and pale whenever i take a hood light off. I replanted one side of the tank the day after he went in and i think it was an ordeal for it after the stress of being bagged for sale (pretty roughly won't get the lady who caught strike to catch anything else in future). The rest were bagged with no fuss when more stock came in and they are more trusting. I managed to spot 5/6 at the same time today too.

Added a stick as some temporary driftwood for my baby bristlenose. I have a nice bit i found with hollows and a hidey hole underneath that will suit it as an adult soaking. I think the Kuhlis will enjoy it too. I have been adding boiling water for three days to soak 2 larger bits and a pair of weathered sticks. The Bristlenose took about an hour to find the stick but it has clung to it since.

Noticed my 4 Harlequin Rasboras schooling with their reflection at the end of the tank. I should buy the 5 more i had planned to add, but the bristlenose pretty much completed my stocking regime instead of the full 9 HR's i had planned. I may overstock by about 5 HR's to match the schools of NT's and HR's. I'm heavily planted and do 20% bigger weekly WC than Aquadvisor recommends so i think 5 more Rasboras would be safe. The Bristlenose may wind up being moved to a bigger tank in a short while anyway.

Alyxx 01-21-2014 09:56 PM

Nothing... no tanks to do anything with really. Pretty much everything died after my move. That's why I haven't been around lately. I've got a marbled crayfish and a handful of baby bettas left. Hopefully soon I can get some set back up again when I get my own place again. I've missed you guys.

Krissycakes 01-22-2014 03:20 PM

So as I am doing a water change on one of my tanks. I came up with an idea for a tank. What if you could take a water Despenser with a spout and jug, cut the bottom of the jug off, take a screen mesh and cover the bottom using a gravel tray or something to stop gravel. Then fill with substrate, water, and cycle. Then when doing WC, just fill up a bucket using the spout. Just a thought. Lol

DragonFish71 01-22-2014 04:35 PM

Removed some GBR and lampeye killie eggs to hatch, moved a newly hatched batch of albino BN plecos to a grow out tub and waiting for some peacock gudgeon eggs to hatch.

Atticus 01-22-2014 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added three marbles hatchets yesterday and they're getting along nicely. Was feeding the tank today and during the feeding frenzy I noticed some eggs on one of my ghost shrimp. Attachment 218327

Ayi 01-22-2014 08:34 PM

Fed all tanks been shrimp. I didn't see and Cory eggs except one. I'm hoping they all hatched and swam to safety rather than being eaten.

Fibsog 01-23-2014 12:20 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Took pink plant out of 2g. Rescaped 4g and added shell and amazon sword plastic plant. Added pink plant to 1/2g betta tank. Finalized 20g stock list. Added shell to 10g and cleaned algae.
Cleaned 3g. Fed all fish.

4g rescape: https://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pso5h5m74k.jpg

SKB 01-23-2014 08:07 AM

Watched how my gold saum's personality is changing. He's in breed mode too... So that doesn't help. All I'm thinking, is good thing he isn't strong enough to destroy my tank the way he wants to, biting at everything, pushing, pulling, plant nipping, whipping and shaking. But he won't stay 4-5 inches long. I just recently was able to tell it is male.

Fishman007 01-24-2014 09:43 AM

Alot happend in 10 days, got my shipment from DR. F & S,
3 coralife electric thermometers-$6 each
3g JBJ picotope kit-$41
Hydor thermo heater-$20
5oz of chemi pure- $8
API saltwater master kit- $20
API reef master kit-$25

And then my blenny in the 20 got gill flukes so i ordered some prazipro off ebay for $13 free shipping,

Went to petco, got a tetra heater to heat wc water for $20.

Nitrates were like 80 in the 37g, did a 35g wc and are now at 10. Added chemi pure to canister filter.

Got a $60 rock at the lfs that came with a unknown type of xenia, alot of electic green and blue mushrooms, GSP, and some red mushrooms.

2/3s of xenia died in 2 nights from the nitrates and all the mushrooms died on the rock.

Got fire shrimp for a good deal, $30 going in the 37g wont come out of the rocks and may have died.

Got my pico up, 10lbs of live aragonite, 4lbs of live rock, replaced the filter to a penguin 100 for $25

Stock is-
1 red legged hermit
1 blue legged hermit
1 dwarf zebra hermit
1 black clown goby
10 heads of whammin watermelon zoanthid frag from the 37g
Some glove polyps from the 37g.

Moved the blue tux urchin to the 20g.
Got 4 giant blue nuckel hermits for the 37g and 1 for the 20, also 1 large scarlet reef for the 37g aswell.

Cleaned out my QT and got it ready to go for a new fish.

Treatment in the 20 is going good w/prazi. Dosed twice already and fish are showing good results.

This was all over a 10 day time period ofcourse.

Will post pics of the 3g when the lights come on at 1pm.

Galligak 01-24-2014 11:19 PM

I just finished my school of CPDs in my tank with a nice school of 7:). I was going to wait for the big 50% off sale but I couldn't hold out for another month... But goodness do they look great:D. Tomorrow is the water changing day--fun

Alan79 01-24-2014 11:22 PM

Luck of the Irish today

Well. Today while i was picking up a free 15g or in that vicinity. I also spotted a tank with some Harlequin Rasboras and Neon Tetras at the Salvation army shop where my sister volunteers. I scouted round as i have picked up 2 nice 20g tanks for $5 each there before and missed a 4foot by a couple of hours a month ago for $25 with stand filter and a light. So the tank looked neglected (in terms of fishkeeping knowledge) but with good intentions. No filter running and about 1/2 a kg of floating food. Water is a mess. will check the Params soon but i count this as saving 7 fish from death by bad water. I asked if it was for sale. Turned out the owner worked there till a fortnight ago but was moved away and left the tank. They gave it to me free as they were glad a fish lover stumbled upon it. I got a nice little cube tank with filter AND i needed more HR's and can home the NT's plus a bristlenose pleco who will keep my lone BP company. Free tank and it was populated with exactly the fish i wanted. So 2 free tanks today and i got some free top ups for my stocking as well :dance: I often complain i am not lucky but i feel as if I occasionally have rolls. Won $135 in a cash grab last week that i spent mostly on my aquariums.

Must go and play with tanks :fish1:

I was planning to set up a shrimp tank today but i will postpone that again (when i begin to work on it i get free stuff so postponing the setup is no issue). I now have three spare filters and tanks i can use them in. My wallet is due for a hammering over the next week or three. I have enough substrate i like to complete maybe 2x 20g tanks and some gravel i am not keen on to do anpther tank if i am motivated.

twiddlemuffin 01-24-2014 11:25 PM

I did a water change on all 3 tanks, rearranged the 20g and 55g, added a betta to the 20g and fed everyone veggies.

Fibsog 01-25-2014 02:19 AM

Did a pwc on 4g, fed all tanks. Might go to lfs or petsmart this weekend for plants.

Atticus 01-25-2014 02:24 AM

I bought some fish without adequate research and found out they grow larger than expected so my tank is now overstocked. I goofed

Krissycakes 01-25-2014 04:49 AM

Set up my breeder tank:)

Kongo 01-25-2014 07:29 AM

Added more Red Cherry Shrimps to my 33 gallon shrimp tank:dance: And added some plant nutrients.

Delapool 01-25-2014 07:55 AM

Did a pwc, went into lfs to 'look around'.

Fresh2o 01-25-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2804513)
Set up my breeder tank:)

What will you be breeding?

Fishman007 01-25-2014 11:06 AM

Did tests on the 20 and 3,
3g:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

20g:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5

beautifulbettas 01-25-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2804701)
Did tests on the 20 and 3,
3g:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

20g:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5

Wow that's really good! You take amazing care of your tanks!

Fishman007 01-25-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautifulbettas (Post 2804705)

Wow that's really good! You take amazing care of your tanks!

I try, i hadnt done a test on my 37g in a few months so i decided to a few days ago and heres what it read...

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-80

So i did a 35g wc and tommarow i will be doing a 15g wc, but for some reason all my corals, invertebrates, and fish dont really mind it? Ive never lost 1 fish or invert in that tank.

I found the culprit, bioballs. So i will be taking them all out of the canister filter and using them for my 15g QT.

Also added 5oz of chemi-pure i ordered off DR. F&S.

Fresh2o 01-25-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fibsog (Post 2804456)
Did a pwc on 4g, fed all tanks. Might go to lfs or petsmart this weekend for plants.

At Petsmart you might want to check out the Topfin gel pack plants. Suitable low light plants include crypt wendtii red and green, crypt undulata, and Bacopa caroliniana.

Krissycakes 01-25-2014 02:28 PM

Was thinking of trying my bettas. My cousins birthday is this year and they want fish for guests to take home. Its a big party since he is turning one. https://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/3esugyba.jpg This is what I got so far:)

Krissycakes 01-25-2014 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At work watching opae ULA shrimpAttachment 218791

anachrotech 01-25-2014 04:36 PM

Finally getting my tank back after a 9 month algae bloom which happened after changing the light from fluorescent to T5HO.
Last week prior to UV sterilizer install (camera shows more of the interior of the tank than I could actually see- I could only see in about 2-3 inches) And yes, all this time I was doing 30 - 50% weekly water changes and no lights to no avail. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...8fcd3387e7.jpg
Next is at day four -
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...45842e7f1c.jpg
And today (day 6) after 30% water change.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...c6310ec917.jpg
Test kit arrived yesterday, so prior to this change I tested: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, PH 7.4.
Now that I can see in the tank :), I'm thinking of redecorating with rock and perhaps going to a sand substrate. Still weighing the substrate change....chime in with opinions if you so desire.

beautifulbettas 01-25-2014 05:15 PM

Please read my thread in aquaria off topic I think my fish may have died!! Please hurry!

venymae 01-25-2014 06:53 PM

I reattached my background using baby oil (vs tape) Wow, it looks so much better! Gotta love the random tips I pick up here :)

beautifulbettas 01-25-2014 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting the breeding process with my bettas :)Attachment 218824

Fishman007 01-25-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautifulbettas (Post 2805129)
Please read my thread in aquaria off topic I think my fish may have died!! Please hurry!

Read your thread, look into enthuizing him, should be much less painful.

Masha 01-26-2014 04:58 AM

My husband and me made a thing to secure the pipe I use to fill my tank. I pump water up from a bucket, and it's always slipping out and splashing water everywhere.

This thing works though. It's a section of PVC pipe with a slot so it can fit onto the side of the tank, and two holes at right angles to the slot, for the water-pipe. Works like a charm. No more splashy surprises.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_...ipe_holder.jpg

Robynleigh 01-26-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2805837)
My husband and me made a thing to secure the pipe I use to fill my tank. I pump water up from a bucket, and it's always slipping out and splashing water everywhere.

This thing works though. It's a section of PVC pipe with a slot so it can fit onto the side of the tank, and two holes at right angles to the slot, for the water-pipe. Works like a charm. No more splashy surprises.

Awesome idea!!

Alan79 01-26-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2805837)

I don't use a pump to fill my tank but have had issues when my syphon tube decides to escape. I solved the problem by cutting a hole in the emptying end of the tube and using fishing line and a sinker tied through the hole to weigh it down. That is another great idea.

Editing in
35g. 50% WC on Comet tank. Missed last weeks WC with this tank so will do another 30% tomorrow. Fed peasin the morning and My sister hand fed them some orange when she visited.

20g. Fed peas in the morning, small flake feed for their dinner and a few pellets to sink for the Khulis.

5g. Small WC which brings should mean this tank has 100% WC over 4 small changes in 2 days. The filter that came with the tank is burnt out so i have no idea how long they were being overfed without a filter running but i had to scoop loads of food out when i emptied the tank to transport them home. This was the free tank i picked up with 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Neon Tetras and a Bristlenose.

Changed the water that 3 bits of driftwood are soaking in. picked up about 5 more marbled stones from driveway to start washing for the 20g i hope to set up tomorrow. When cycled i plan to split my Khulis and Rasboras into 1 tank and add more Khulis. Will maybe add a dwarf gourami too. The other tank will have 13 NTs and 2 bristlenoses for now. Will decide on completing the stocking later.

Fishman007 01-26-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2805993)

I don't use a pump to fill my tank but have had issues when my syphon tube decides to escape. I solved the problem by cutting a hole in the emptying end of the tube and using fishing line and a sinker tied through the hole to weigh it down. That is another great idea.

Why not just put a mag float on each side? Mine came with a little clamp for the intake and the output.

Masha 01-26-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2805993)

Basically weighing the pipe? That is a good idea. With the water pumping in though, instead of syphoning out, there's quite a lot of upward force on the pipe (which is why I had so many watery moments) I'd have to weigh it quite heavily.

Alan79 01-26-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masha (Post 2806006)
Basically weighing the pipe? That is a good idea. With the water pumping in though, instead of syphoning out, there's quite a lot of upward force on the pipe (which is why I had so many watery moments) I'd have to weigh it quite heavily.

You can get some fairly large sinkers for deep sea fishing. I have a few in my tackle box but a smaller sinker does the job for siphoning. I also use a sinker to weigh down my airstone. I am looking for 2 suction cups to hold my CO2 line in a line rather than a messy coil. I only decided to use the sinker on the end after wetting a foot for the 100th time :facepalm:

Galligak 01-26-2014 12:04 PM

Did PWC on my 2.6g, 10g, and 5.5g. And I ordered Prime and Excel off of Amazon:) I've never used Excel, so I'm pretty excited to finally see how it does:D Hopefully it'll help make my 5.5g a nice little jungle for my CPDs who absolutely love to swim through the plants!

Fishman007 01-26-2014 02:17 PM

Mixing 20g of SW for my 20g wc on the 37g, already have 15g mixed and ready, but am making 5g more at the moment. Nitrates are still at 50ppm in the 37g.

Got some frozen mysis shrimp from the lfs, 30 cubes for $7!

Krissycakes 01-26-2014 04:11 PM

https://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/badeva3y.jpg
Keeping an eye on my bfs Cory. Then going to my house to take care of my tanks and maybe bring one to his apartment later today. Also need to take plants and snails out for shipments this Monday. Busy busy

Fishman007 01-26-2014 05:00 PM

Done with the 20g wc! All went good, now i gotta test nitrate!

Washed out everything in the canister filter w/fresh saltwater. Hopefully they will go down.

Fresh2o 01-26-2014 09:41 PM

Weekly WC. Gave the Staurogynes repens and mini-AR in the foreground a trim and replanted the cuttings. Cut off the dying older leaves on the broadleaf chain swords and regular AR.
Taking this time to sit back and stare at it.https://i.imgur.com/t0j1atr.jpg

Cichlid ism 01-26-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 2806923)
Weekly WC. Gave the Staurogynes repens and mini-AR in the foreground a trim and replanted the cuttings. Cut off the dying older leaves on the broadleaf chain swords and regular AR.

Very nice!

Robynleigh 01-26-2014 10:52 PM

Water Change Day....

WC and moved a few things around on cichlid tank, one of my kadangos has taken to being a little bossy so that will hopefully help that. All levels great, fed and watched.

WC and fed adult guppy tank and moved their plants around... Still fighting urge to get rid of the plastic plants and go real!!

WC on grow out tank - need to move a couple out that are big enough to go in with the adults, will do that tonight. Fed them crushed flake and prepared egg yolk for dinner time.

Did WC on my sons Black Moor tank, and fed. thinking he may need to be rehomed soon as son has lost interest and I have more than enough to do with the other tanks..

WC for my bettas, fed and watched them.

I get sick of the work with WC's - running too many tanks I think!! Once these babies are grown out that will eliminate that tank, going to leave the guppies to deliver in the tank now as I am getting overstocked. But then when I sit back and see them all happy and active after it's worth it.

Brilliant_Barbs_21 01-26-2014 11:01 PM

Jeez I haven't been on AA in a very long time! Everything is so busy lately. Anyways, today I set up the sump for my cube. My build thread is on here if anybody wants to follow. It's boring now, but I have some great plans.

Alan79 01-27-2014 03:09 AM

Completed drip acclimation of 7 new fish in the 20g. Now i'm well overstocked so i plan to spend a couple of hours setting up my next tank now. New arrivals are much paler than their old tankmates but looking much healthier since they have been in a tank with filtered water. No idea how long they went without a filter but they weren't well when i spotted them. New BP does not like being fondled by Khulis :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 2806923)

Looking great Fresh20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robynleigh (Post 2807051)
Water Change Day....

WC and moved a few things around on cichlid tank, one of my kadangos has taken to being a little bossy so that will hopefully help that. All levels great, fed and watched.

WC and fed adult guppy tank and moved their plants around... Still fighting urge to get rid of the plastic plants and go real!!

WC on grow out tank - need to move a couple out that are big enough to go in with the adults, will do that tonight. Fed them crushed flake and prepared egg yolk for dinner time.

Did WC on my sons Black Moor tank, and fed. thinking he may need to be rehomed soon as son has lost interest and I have more than enough to do with the other tanks..

WC for my bettas, fed and watched them.

I get sick of the work with WC's - running too many tanks I think!! Once these babies are grown out that will eliminate that tank, going to leave the guppies to deliver in the tank now as I am getting overstocked. But then when I sit back and see them all happy and active after it's worth it.

I'll be up to three running tanks by the end of today. Will cycle the filter in my overstocked running tank for the 20g i'm about to set up and divide the fish in about 2-3 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 (Post 2807075)
Jeez I haven't been on AA in a very long time! Everything is so busy lately. Anyways, today I set up the sump for my cube. My build thread is on here if anybody wants to follow. It's boring now, but I have some great plans.

It's easy to get busy before and after Christmas. I had an uneventful Christmas period this year but i did notice a lot of regulars on here seemed to go MIA. Welcome back.

twiddlemuffin 01-27-2014 03:11 AM

Added a betta to my betta tank, went to a LFS that's closing in a few days and picked up their last Otto, a gold apisto, and a snail for my 29g and a moonlight gourami and another snail for my 55g.

Robynleigh 01-27-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2807421)
I'll be up to three running tanks by the end of today. Will cycle the filter in my overstocked running tank for the 20g i'm about to set up and divide the fish in about 2-3 weeks.

My problem is that I'm a sucker for any fish that look at me 'begging me' to take them home... Sigh....

Galligak 01-27-2014 06:52 PM

Just got my Seachem Prime and Excel today in the mail (less than 24 hours from the time I ordered until I got it!). Did a dosing of Excel in my 5.5g and 10g--excited to see how this stuff works since it's my first time using it:)

I also got the okay on getting the 20g Long:D *small victory dance* I will probably be able to go get it later this week!

Fishman007 01-27-2014 07:19 PM

Went to the lfs and bought nerite snails for the 3g, did a 5g wc on the 20 and redosed prazipro. Filled up the 10g QT and am going to go pick out a new fish for the 37g wednsday.

twiddlemuffin 01-27-2014 07:20 PM

Completely rescaped my 55g, and added a new substrate to my 20g.

anachrotech 01-27-2014 07:38 PM

Ordered a Current Satellite LED Plus 24"-36" from Petco to replace my T5HO. We'll see how much I, and the fish of course, like it. :fish2:

beautifulbettas 01-27-2014 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bred bettas for the FIRST time ever!!! The daddy and the mommaAttachment 219198Attachment 219199

treemanone2003 01-27-2014 08:10 PM

Today was just a water test on the 4@ and the 20 QT. But....... Yesterday I added 2 new Discus to the 40 and 3 plants. A swordtail a some kind of fern and a something else. Sorry I'm not too well balanced on the plant names but my fish guy said they would all help all the way around. Since the plant addition my ammonia has dropped a tad (👍👍) but my pH spiked a bit. I thought it would go down with the newbies. I also traded a buddy my 1/2 cord of firewood for his self contained 6 gal nano sw. I know it's much harder to go small rather than large bc of the parameters but I'm a renter and not a home owner. My landlord is cool with the 40 so far so I'm not gonna push it.

Fishman007 01-27-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treemanone2003 (Post 2808213)
Today was just a water test on the 4@ and the 20 QT. But....... Yesterday I added 2 new Discus to the 40 and 3 plants. A swordtail a some kind of fern and a something else. Sorry I'm not too well balanced on the plant names but my fish guy said they would all help all the way around. Since the plant addition my ammonia has dropped a tad (ddc4dddc4d) but my pH spiked a bit. I thought it would go down with the newbies. I also traded a buddy my 1/2 cord of firewood for his self contained 6 gal nano sw. I know it's much harder to go small rather than large bc of the parameters but I'm a renter and not a home owner. My landlord is cool with the 40 so far so I'm not gonna push it.

Why would you add discus to a 40g when you have a source of ammonia? And discus need minimum 75g...

Tieberion 01-27-2014 08:58 PM

Got them all ready for tomorrow's once in a lifetime ICE/Snow storm here in south Mississippi with a 80% water change on all 5 tanks- I'm Exhausted!!!!

Fishman007 01-28-2014 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
FW dipped my clown goby, looked like somthing was wiggleing around on him. This is a pic through 10X on my microscope of what i found. Any ideas?

Attachment 219434

Attachment 219435

Krissycakes 01-28-2014 10:02 PM

So today I placed an Anubias, and some java fern leaflets into my balloon molly tank so the babies would want to come out more. Rather then hiding in the java moss all day. Then I did a water change on my community 20g because it was looking messy. I also purchased 2- 20lb bags of eco complete:) and will be doing more research for a diy co2 system:) I even placed my unused 20g light on my community tank. Hoping to give extra light to my new scarlet temple.

Galligak 01-29-2014 07:33 PM

Did some PWCs on my 5.5, 2, and 10g. Set up 2 pico aquariums from very old candle jars (used to house moss terrariums) and set up a 1g (hopefully) shrimp bowl. I'm pretty excited to see how the bowl turns out and I would love to put a RCS or two in there in about a month or so:)

enrgizerbunny 01-29-2014 07:41 PM

Been staring all day. (snow day!)

Fed the tiger barbs their frozen blood worms. I drop it in and they're on the FROZEN block before it even makes it back to the surface. Ferocious eaters.

Also dropped in some frozen blanched zucchini for everybody else, the rainbow shark gets fed at night, although I see him scavenge throughout the day if he isn't defending his territory from the barbs.

My pleco is all about the zucchini.

Fishman007 01-29-2014 07:41 PM

Did a 5g wc on the 37.

Fibsog 01-29-2014 09:22 PM

Made plans for my new nano planted i am setting up this weekend, fed fish.

trustemedia 01-30-2014 12:22 AM

Water changes. Moved holding female. Fish watched. Rearranged a tank and loving it. Looks much better.

Alan79 01-30-2014 06:33 AM

Fed both tanks. Flakes for the Comets. And flakes and sinking pellets in my community tank. Saw 5/6 Kuhli loaches out and about at once. They're growing in confidence or just getting hungrier.

After a protracted battle with a couple of forms of Algae in my 20g community tank, the second Bristlenose plec (saved from a neglected tank) has combined his eating might with the one i bought. They have just about cleaned the plants up. I did see the Kuhlis picking at the algae low down in the tank and sometimes in the upper regions hanging in the leaves while they munched. The tank is a bit overgrown but it is nice to see the leaves free of algae :D

I still have a tetra with mouth fungus since i have missed the LFS due to overtime at work. Need to buy some meds for it before it gets worse. I had a second tetra with fungus on it's side that seems to have cleared up on it's own. I've done extra WCs to ensure the water quality is the best i can offer. I finish early tomorrow so i'll make it to the shop. I can't buy fish right now as i'm a touch overstocked due to the free fish i saved, 7 in total which wouldn't be too much without the bristlenose. Having two in the tank has sped up the algae cleaning and the smaller one i bought is eating off the leaves at last but i'll have to be vigilant with water quality till i can split some fish into another tank.

Will get a third tank running before monday. I'm looking forwards to scaping this one a lot I'll be moving some Crypts out of my running 20g and will add some driftwood to that where i remove them from. I want to do a complete rescape but don't want to disturb my fish too much. It has taken two weeks for my Kuhlis to come out confidently for day time feedings so i'd prefer they remain stress free.

anachrotech 01-30-2014 07:39 AM

Changed my lighting from a T5HO 24" to an LED. Still debating whether I like it. Visually, the amount of light is a touch below the T5.

Autumnsky 01-30-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFish71 (Post 2801624)
Removed some GBR and lampeye killie eggs to hatch, moved a newly hatched batch of albino BN plecos to a grow out tub and waiting for some peacock gudgeon eggs to hatch.

BTW My Albino BN babies are growing up beautifully. :D

Visited a lfs in Arlington TX, it had a very nice SW show tank.

Passed on a gorgeous Dumbo Betta to wait for my ideal one, as I have been cutting back tanks :/

Krissycakes 01-30-2014 05:48 PM

Just bought 10 female bettas. I am going to attempt a sorority tank:) Will use eco complete substrate and try to plant it heavily. Then think about co2 system for it

Fishman007 01-30-2014 06:52 PM

Krissycakes i remember in one of your posts you said that you will be giving out bettas at your cousins B-day? If it were me i would alert all the people recieving the fish on how to properly care for them.

Krissycakes 01-30-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2813225)
Krissycakes i remember in one of your posts you said that you will be giving out bettas at your cousins B-day? If it were me i would alert all the people recieving the fish on how to properly care for them.

I was going to. But I stopped the process. She may have to find a different centerpiece. Lol I came to the conclusion of the sorority:) pics will be posted later:)

Fishman007 01-30-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2813346)

I was going to. But I stopped the process. She may have to find a different centerpiece. Lol I came to the conclusion of the sorority:) pics will be posted later:)

Well it was probably for the best, not everyone is up for the challenge of even keeping a betta. Lol

Aqualady40 01-30-2014 08:56 PM

Today, on my 55g, I reluctantly changed my painted background from blue to black. On my newly started planted dirt capped with sand vase, I changed the water.

Krissycakes 01-30-2014 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everybody floating. :)

anachrotech 01-30-2014 09:41 PM

Changed my lighting from the LED that I just received back to a T5HO. I didn't care for the LED. Just doesn't float my boat.

Alyxx 01-31-2014 05:32 AM

Just fed my remaining fish. 4 baby bettas, 1 female betta, and the marbled cray and one of her babies is all I have left now. Hopefully in a couple months I will have my own place again and will be able to start over. I really really miss my aquariums. Also planning on turning one of my empty tanks into a snake tank.

Krissycakes 01-31-2014 06:57 PM

Checked on the girls today:) Fed everyone. All is well and thinking of which tank to put 20lbs of ecocomple in. Hmmm

Krissycakes 01-31-2014 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After feeding:)

Fresh2o 01-31-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2814622)

Hey ladies! <eye brows up down>

Water change in the shrimp tank.

In the planted tank I trimmed the Staurogyne repens to level it out and replanted the cuttings. Well, trying to. A few of the stems won't stay in place.

Fishman007 01-31-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2814622)

Looks nice! They must love it!

Krissycakes 01-31-2014 09:15 PM

Thanks guys. I love them all. Just still haven't picked names yet. I just got back and put a sword and a anubias in too.

Fishman007 01-31-2014 10:13 PM

Got a haloween hermit at the lfs for $10. Orverpriced?

Also got 8 Giant hermit crab shells for my giant yellow striped 7, all over 1 1/2 inches

enrgizerbunny 02-01-2014 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added crushed coral to the filter so I don't have to keep worrying about an all out PH crash.

Added a new plant and rescaped a little bit. Moved the plant that's on the left now, pulled up the wisteria that didn't have enough light and let it float. The goal is to break up the line of sight between my gouramis so the smaller one will be less stressed.

My water is filled with fish poop now. Apparently I need to gravel vac more.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fibsog 02-01-2014 12:27 AM

Took filter out of betta tank and moved platy to 10g. It was a wild run downstairs :o! Getting ready for shrimp tank setup tomorrow! I am using instant cycle.

paul87 02-01-2014 10:34 PM

Fed corals and fish. Watched them all eat.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...269b8ac3ba.jpghttps://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...6781f65599.jpghttps://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...2425c53a57.jpg

Fishman007 02-01-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul87 (Post 2816448)
Fed corals and fish. Watched them all eat.

What do you feed your coral?

paul87 02-01-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2816449)

What do you feed your coral?

Reef Chilly and whatever else they snatch up from the fish food in water column. Selcon and frozen foods like prawn roe, mysis, krill, etc...

Fishman007 02-01-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul87 (Post 2816475)

Reef Chilly and whatever else they snatch up from the fish food in water column. Selcon and frozen foods like prawn roe, mysis, krill, etc...

Saw reef chili at the lfs, its a powder right? How do you feed it?

paul87 02-01-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman007 (Post 2816477)

Saw reef chili at the lfs, its a powder right? How do you feed it?

Yes its a powder of zooplanton, phytoplanton, rotifers & such. A little goes a long way with this stuff and ive had grear results with it. I switched from coral frenzy to the BRS reef chili and coral seems to respond better. You can mix it with tank water and pour it in or spot feed with a baster. You could also just mix it with the fish food.

Fishman007 02-01-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul87 (Post 2816520)

Yes its a powder of zooplanton, phytoplanton, rotifers & such. A little goes a long way with this stuff and ive had grear results with it. I switched from coral frenzy to the BRS reef chili and coral seems to respond better. You can mix it with tank water and pour it in or spot feed with a baster. You could also just mix it with the fish food.

I use seachem phyto but will get some once i run out.

Fibsog 02-02-2014 12:03 AM

Great day! Set up a nano planted tank for my new amano shrimp. Great tanks, it was tetra bettascene, look it up. Pretty well built and very high quality and worth the in store 17$! Also got the marineland 2.5 for my rescue betta. Bought anacharis and gave it to 10g, 4g, 2g, and 1g. Signed up for lfs rewards card!
https://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pssadahvsr.jpg
The 2.5 and a great picture of buddy!
https://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pszhzoie5e.jpg
All about turk bro. He took a bath in the filter when the top was off XD he is a great character!

twiddlemuffin 02-02-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fibsog (Post 2816609)
Great day! Set up a nano planted tank for my new amano shrimp. Great tanks, it was tetra bettascene, look it up. Pretty well built and very high quality and worth the in store 17$! Also got the marineland 2.5 for my rescue betta. Bought anacharis and gave it to 10g, 4g, 2g, and 1g. Signed up for lfs rewards card!
https://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pssadahvsr.jpg
The 2.5 and a great picture of buddy!
https://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pszhzoie5e.jpg
All about turk bro. He took a bath in the filter when the top was off XD he is a great character!

Wow that orange betta.

D_Tristan22 02-02-2014 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a betta to a my tank (:

Attachment 220209

Alan79 02-02-2014 09:28 AM

Started the scaping process on a 20g. Just seeing how things look a couple of ways before i decide.

WC on my running 20g. Added a fungus cure product to treat my ailing Neon Tetras. Medicine cost as much as two replacement NT's but hope i save them. I removed a portion of my snails in case they die from the product.

Fibsog 02-02-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twiddlemuffin (Post 2816736)
Wow that orange betta.

He is my favorite betta :)

Fibsog 02-02-2014 11:58 AM

Omg!!! Woke up and guppy filter is broken! Have to use the warranty, but what to do!? Can they live in my 10g for a few days?