Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Kittykat364 03-20-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaKai (Post 2885256)
Came home today to find that my heater in my 5.5g died a fiery death taking with it my 7 CPDs and 10 orange shrimp:(. I really loved watching that tank too! Now I have to start over...


Sorry to hear that. Which heater was it? I want to know so I don't buy it.

Galligak 03-20-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2885264)
Sorry to hear that. Which heater was it? I want to know so I don't buy it.


Honestly I don't even remember. I don't even remember buying it. All I know is that it was one of my oldest heaters. I'm now replacing all heaters that I've had longer than 2 years, hopefully that'll curve any issues that might arise in the future.

missnathasha 03-20-2014 11:31 PM

50% water change and added more rocks ☺️

Autumnsky 03-21-2014 02:49 AM

Started spring cleaning.

Sorry to hear about your disaster AquaKai. That is awful. I hope your rebuild goes smoothly.

My filter stopped in my Chi then the next day my 12G Edge filter stopped too. The Chi seems to have just died. No humming. The Edge is making a little noise, doing a little more checking with the impeller.

So weird 2 in 2 days, and about 1.5 weeks ago my little 2.5G filter impeller fell apart, so of course that one is out of commission. Maybe they just last 2 - 3 years or something, lol!

Alan79 03-21-2014 02:52 AM

Picked up a 35g drilled tank with surface skimmer intact for $50 & 2 filters included. I have some spare tanks so i might make a sump and just keep this FW for the time being, but i am very tempted to try salt. I was not told this was a drilled tank when i spotted the ad on a facebook buy swap and sell group, but i'm pleased that i can do a SW tank now when i feel the urge.

54seaweed 03-21-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2885538)
Started spring cleaning.

Sorry to hear about your disaster AquaKai. That is awful. I hope your rebuild goes smoothly.

My filter stopped in my Chi then the next day my 12G Edge filter stopped too. The Chi seems to have just died. No humming. The Edge is making a little noise, doing a little more checking with the impeller.

So weird 2 in 2 days, and about 1.5 weeks ago my little 2.5G filter impeller fell apart, so of course that one is out of commission. Maybe they just last 2 - 3 years or something, lol!

once one thing goes the rest follows
I just ordered all new pumps and filters for that reason
they just don't make things to last anymore
think the avg life for filters and stuff today are 2 yrs if your lucky
I have one filter on my feeder tank that's got to be close to 30 yrs and still runs like new it just looks prehistoric
I miss the good ole days omg does that mean I'm old lmao

eduguy 03-21-2014 09:29 PM

I didnt do anything yet, but I made a video on youtube about fish

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Krissycakes 03-21-2014 10:00 PM

Came home today to find my mystery snails hatched!
I placed them into my 20 gallon planted tank, and sprinkled some betta food for them.
I also found out that my brine shrimp hatched, so I fed some to my baby bettas.
Started another brine shrimp batch and sold some duckweed.
Fed all my fish, and sold my java moss. Weekend, here I come! ;) Only to work tomorrow hahahaha at least I get to scrub more fish tanks. xD

Fresh2o 03-21-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2886461)
Came home today to find my mystery snails hatched!

I placed them into my 20 gallon planted tank, and sprinkled some betta food for them.

I also found out that my brine shrimp hatched, so I fed some to my baby bettas.

Started another brine shrimp batch and sold some duckweed.

Fed all my fish, and sold my java moss. Weekend, here I come! ;) Only to work tomorrow hahahaha at least I get to scrub more fish tanks. xD


You certainly have been busy! Not me. Fed the fish, ferts/glut, stared at the tanks for about 5 min each.
My excuse is: It's college basketball time. Yes!

Supergummy 03-21-2014 10:50 PM

Started cycling my 29 gallon

Autumnsky 03-22-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2885799)
once one thing goes the rest follows
I just ordered all new pumps and filters for that reason
they just don't make things to last anymore
think the avg life for filters and stuff today are 2 yrs if your lucky
I have one filter on my feeder tank that's got to be close to 30 yrs and still runs like new it just looks prehistoric
I miss the good ole days omg does that mean I'm old lmao

Yup!

Well you may be "old" but I am blind, :/ and kinda old, well the lack of humming noise in my Chi and the humming noise in the other tank was the air pump rattling the table.

Somebody disconnected one wire/extension cord which was way on the plug side and not the tank side and then I missed the unplugged cord due to the really large mass of cords powering my watery wonderland.

So the positive was that the Chi started up again. Right away. The 12G Edge didn't start up but I left for work and when I got home it was going!

I know both of the questionable filters are very iffy... sometimes having problems so I will buy a new one next week just in case.

Seaweed, are you going to the CAS auction tomorrow? Hope your new supplies /equipment give you good service!

Darylb 03-22-2014 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I added a Chalcedon coral and rescaped my tank Attachment 229505

Darylb 03-22-2014 07:10 AM

Sorry that was meant to be chalice coral

Autumnsky 03-23-2014 12:22 AM

Auction Fun!!!
 
Well I came away with toooooooo much, lol!
---
The best thing I got was 5 Orange Lazer Corys for $40. They are little guys, but they will go with my one Orange Lazer Cory I found in a tank of mixed Cories. They are hard to find locally.

Melanotaenia Parkinsoni Male Rainbow $10 too much but it was so cute.

A 4" White crayfish for $10.

4 diamond Tetras for $4

4 Cardinal Tetras to go with my little school $5.

Everybody is in QT. Looking very happy. The Rainbow went from pale to vibrant just in the bag waiting to go into the tank!!!

A GIANT anubias coffeefolia for $14 about 20 leaves and a flower and a small one for $5.

A half 5 gal bucket of misc size Bioballs for 1.60

A bag with probably 30+, long stems of guppy grass, floating around in a ball about the size of a volleybal, lol for $7. Hoping the Angel fish pair will now have enough privacy to get some wigglers.

Box of misc stuff SW porous rock and some dead corals for the someday to be SW tank. A slate with a DW for the big Anubias, and Petrified Wood Stone. $4.00

The other half of the box was donated to the tanks in schools group also a bunch of foods and other rocks and decorations.

Grab bags of green aquarium lights and ~8oz Japanese Hikari Gold Betta pellets and goldfish food, also tank starter 2 bags x $1 each!!! Great deal for the Betta food, good thing I didn't just buy some!

Opalized Fossil ammonite 2.5+" for $5.

Coralife 24" light fixture single Compact Plant bulb for $15.

80 lbs of quartz gravel for $4. Donated to the tanks in schools guys.

Cool sponge filter with 4 petals / spade looking parts on it for 3.50

:dance:

WOW was that FUN!!! :dance:

Aquariumfish123 03-23-2014 01:27 AM

I got a 5 gal bucket for water changes AND got an API test kit!

Chief910 03-23-2014 01:46 AM

Sold my 75g freshwater setup, received the master reef test kit and wave maker I ordered, added shovel nose lobster 1 in the 29g and 1 in the 46g, and a porcupine puffer to the 46g.

Alan79 03-23-2014 09:03 AM

I had some overdue tasks to complete this weekend which i'm calling "Operation extreme water change". It had a few stages i had to complete throughout the day.
Goals
- Add fresh water to two tanks.
- Remove all surviving Kuhli Loach (?/6) for transfer to a Kuhli & Red Cherry Shrimp tank. This has been postponed for a while due to illness having been present in the community tank. Illness has been gone now for three weeks so i'm doing it finally.
- Acclimatize 2 Harlequin Rasbora for entry into the community tank.
-Acclimatize ?/6 surviving Kuhli into above mentioned tank.

How i did it.
To achieve this i had planned exactly how and when i needed to get things done. I first emptied the QT tank down to 25-35% in the morning. I gradually added about 1 cup full of CT (Community tank) water about every 20-30minutes through the day until it was at 100% then emptied to 50% and refilled with CT water three times. Not sure how long it took but i'd say the amount of original water in QT was pretty low. CT tank now down by about 10%. I removed about 3 litres more into a 10 litre bucket and moved on to step 2.

Step 2 was more difficult. With a reduced water level i now had the difficult task of chasing down however many surviving Kuhli i had of the 6 i added. The good news is i have a perfect record for keeping Kuhli at this time. I own 14 now and they're all looking healthy but not all happy quite yet. I still have to drip acclimatize my original 6. Work in progress. The sad thing about this is that i had to tear out all the plants in 1/4 of my tank to catch them all. I wasquite happy when i found the last Kuhli by pulling up a plant with him hiding below. I thought i had lost one after having spent a few minutes searching for a Kuhli that may or may not have been eaten. I wanted to trim some Dwarf chain sword runners and he was under one so i won at pokemon by catching them all. I got a laugh from my large bristlenose plec during this stage. I have a stick as driftwood because i didn't want to rescape when i got a plec. The plec clung to the driftwood when i moved it like a leech to skin. If the driftwood was leaving so was the pleco :lol:. 6 Kuhli out now for completion of stage 1.

I had pretty much acclimated the Rasboras by this stage. The tank temps were well matched so it was just a scoop and transfer affair for those two lucky devils. They avoided the stress of a partial tank teardown and my hand chasing Kuhlis towards a net. They're now happily swimming with the flock (6 after illness took 2).

All i have left to do now is to acclimatize my kuhlis, do a replant and maybe throw in a larger bit of driftwood so my poor plec doesn't need to cling to a stick for protection (wimp) :nono:. I'll also add fresh water i prepared this morning to the two tanks i have worked on. Cleaning the QT can wait till tomorrow since i need to disinfect a hospital tank that lost it's patient. Assuming the 8 fish i transferred today all make it through acclimation & the settling in period this was a day well spent. I wanted to move the Kuhli to where i can monitor their food better and they will be happier with the other 8 i own in a tank designed with Kuhli in mind.

Supergummy 03-23-2014 09:13 AM

I went to petsmart and got

The Aqueon t5 dual lighting for live plants.
The alert combo test kit ( ordering API)
Bacteria in a bottle (why not)


I also

Bought a new power chord for tank
Tested my new rocks, all good
Made a cave
And seeded my tank

pollex.jaypee 03-23-2014 10:28 AM

Searched for my ghost shrimps!
They are awfully good at hiding ><

Chief910 03-23-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollex.jaypee (Post 2888119)
Searched for my ghost shrimps!

They are awfully good at hiding ><


And blending lol

eduguy 03-23-2014 02:47 PM

Nothing with my tank, but Im getting help with diagnosing sickness and potential sickness:( from the nice people here at AA. :)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fishy Smell 03-23-2014 03:10 PM

Finally figured out the difference between the real 'green terror' and the false green terror. The false green terror is the Rivalatus, and can see differnce in the colouration/markings between the two. On that basis, ive positvely identified mine as the Rivalatus, which is apparently far less agressive than the other one. Good news for when it grows!

Autumnsky 03-23-2014 03:44 PM

Well last night as I was cleaning a tank and moving a fish, my Elephant Ear Betta was a dumbo and jumped out of the cup. It was a while between what I was doing and went over to get him and he wasn't in the cup. Now I normally put another cup on top or a net, but there was so much going on I spaced it, so two dumbos can make a catastrophe. Remember folks to put a cover over the fish, and still leave air for him to breathe. :facepalm:

I found him on a towel I had on the floor to mop up with. The towel sucked out his moisture and I was panicked because he was kinda stuck to the towel and didn't look like he was even breathing. Just a dried looking Betta pellet.

After getting him into the water and added some StressCoat, and a bubbler since he was laying flat on the bottom and his fins weren't moving, they were stiff, so I figured at least maybe could get air with his gills. Then finally the tiniest movement in his gills. I added more StressCoat and got a overflow plant bucket with plants in it all cleaned out with some nice comfy warm fresh clean water. More StressCoat in there too, and the air bubbler. I added a floating Betta log I got in a box of stuff from the auction also. He has lots of moss and plants to rest in and the water is only about 7" so he doesn't have to swim too far to get to the top for air.

This morning I am happy to report he is alive and looks re-hydrated and moves around/swims a little. It is hard to see how his skin looks because it is an opaque bucket so I can't see through the side. Hoping no lasting negative effects.

Did complete water change on my 2.5G for the small Betta to move over to. Have to take out one of my spare Whisper in tank filters for it because of the impeller being broken on the stock filter.

Saw some of the heaters I was previously looking at were on sale so probably going by to pick one of those up to have a spare.

Cleaned my prefilter sponge on the 37G and connected it back onto the intake tube. Doing pwc on 12G and 5G Chi and QT tank.

Dallascowboys16 03-23-2014 03:53 PM

At the CAS auction I got a really cool piece of planted driftwood covered in several variations of anubias and java fern. Also got a super colorful pair of Gardineri Killifish. Also sold around 100$ worth of plants and old equipment.

Supergummy 03-23-2014 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hooked up my lighting.

Attachment 229710

Brookster123 03-23-2014 04:22 PM

Just went full maintainence mode on all 4 of my tanks!! So many buckets.. Brought a dead ac20 back to life.. One more small wc and I can relax.. Thank goodness for music and beer:) I don't know what I'd do.. Than again dancing around with a full 5 gal bucket.. Made it to the tank with 3 gal left! Yippie!! Mop up!! Aisle 7!!!

Supergummy 03-23-2014 04:32 PM

I still have to vacuum my 10 gal

eduguy 03-23-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2888389)
Well last night as I was cleaning a tank and moving a fish, my Elephant Ear Betta was a dumbo and jumped out of the cup. It was a while between what I was doing and went over to get him and he wasn't in the cup. Now I normally put another cup on top or a net, but there was so much going on I spaced it, so two dumbos can make a catastrophe. Remember folks to put a cover over the fish, and still leave air for him to breathe. :facepalm:

I found him on a towel I had on the floor to mop up with. The towel sucked out his moisture and I was panicked because he was kinda stuck to the towel and didn't look like he was even breathing. Just a dried looking Betta pellet.

After getting him into the water and added some StressCoat, and a bubbler since he was laying flat on the bottom and his fins weren't moving, they were stiff, so I figured at least maybe could get air with his gills. Then finally the tiniest movement in his gills. I added more StressCoat and got a overflow plant bucket with plants in it all cleaned out with some nice comfy warm fresh clean water. More StressCoat in there too, and the air bubbler. I added a floating Betta log I got in a box of stuff from the auction also. He has lots of moss and plants to rest in and the water is only about 7" so he doesn't have to swim too far to get to the top for air.

This morning I am happy to report he is alive and looks re-hydrated and moves around/swims a little. It is hard to see how his skin looks because it is an opaque bucket so I can't see through the side. Hoping no lasting negative effects.

Did complete water change on my 2.5G for the small Betta to move over to. Have to take out one of my spare Whisper in tank filters for it because of the impeller being broken on the stock filter.

Saw some of the heaters I was previously looking at were on sale so probably going by to pick one of those up to have a spare.

Cleaned my prefilter sponge on the 37G and connected it back onto the intake tube. Doing pwc on 12G and 5G Chi and QT tank.

Hope your Betta recovers!

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Supergummy 03-23-2014 04:33 PM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?
 
Me too!

Kittykat364 03-23-2014 05:29 PM

I hope he's ok Autumnsky!

Autumnsky 03-23-2014 06:38 PM

update
 
The Betta seems alive and has moved locations today a couple times. Thank you all for the good wishes for him. He is so pretty and has a friendly disposition so I would miss him. I added a little more StressCoat since it helps his slime coat.

Finished the pwc and also did a quick vac on the 72G and the new White Crayfish was running around exploring and I took a pic, then took a pic of the new Rainbow, Melanotaenia parkinsoni, too.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66039.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66040.jpg

Kittykat364 03-23-2014 06:46 PM

Looks great Autumnsky! I hope the betta's ok!

shellyx 03-23-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2888596)
The Betta seems alive and has moved locations today a couple times. Thank you all for the good wishes for him. He is so pretty and has a friendly disposition so I would miss him. I added a little more StressCoat since it helps his slime coat.

Finished the pwc and also did a quick vac on the 72G and the new White Crayfish was running around exploring and I took a pic, then took a pic of the new Rainbow, Melanotaenia parkinsoni, too.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66039.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66040.jpg

Love the Cray fish! When did you get that? I really want one of those :) glad your betta is doing ok i miss my dumbo such beautiful fish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ndefil 03-23-2014 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a 75 % water change dosed with prime cleaned all the glass including the hood and fed my friends trying to get crystal clear water again. Attachment 229762

Just Another Fish Guy 03-23-2014 07:42 PM

Added my sand substrate and filled it with water.

Supergummy 03-23-2014 09:18 PM

Cleaned my gravel scrubbed the side and did a 30 percent warpter change in my 10 gal

Mr Fisher 03-23-2014 09:21 PM

Did my weekly water changes

Fresh2o 03-23-2014 10:41 PM

Finally got around to measure the amount of water in the water change pail. It's an old Reef Crystal container. It's 5 gallons. I thought it was more (7.5-10 gallons). So I've been reporting a higher water change percentage than it actually is. IMO knowing what the nitrate level is and how much of a water change brings it back to the target range is more important than an arbitrary percentage. If I did 50% WCs that would be great but 25-35% seems to work in this tank (probably 50% stocked, med-heavily planted).
Come to think of it, the water change pail I've been using strongly resembles the 5 gallon pails they sell at hardware stores.

Alan79 03-24-2014 05:48 AM

It's safe to say that Kuhli Loach are my favorite fish at the moment and now that i have 14 in a tank together they are becoming a lot more fun to watch. The 6 i had in my community tank were very shy and always hidden. I started a Kuhli only tank (with RCS cleaning crew) and placed 8 in there which come out to swim laps when the filter goes off. The older stock i had were rarely seen in their community tank. The good news is that since adding the original 6 to the 8 recent purchases they're all having a massive Kuhli party together now. It took me about 2.5 months to get to see the first batch of them i bought playing in the open but they seem very happy to be out and about today. A couple of them that i thought had died even stopped to human watch at the front of the tank. They are FAT though. I guess 2.5 months in Al's kitchen will put some weight on you. I would say the new stock are 1/4 as thick around the middle as the original group that i have had a chance to fatten up. I thought my big pleco in the community tank was eating most of the food, but my Kuhli were evidently getting plenty too.

Must go and do more Kuhli watching.

shellyx 03-24-2014 02:31 PM

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, new shrimp arriving tomorrow still not sure which tank too put them :confused:
My colombian snail has ate my plants in my shrimp tank so looks like i need to buy more!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

eduguy 03-24-2014 09:04 PM

Going to dose second day of Paraguard for my bettas fin rot.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

venymae 03-24-2014 09:15 PM

Got a cow fish (dalmation molly) for the little guy off freecycle, (he's in love)
bought some cherry shrimp for $1 a piece off craigslist and finally completed my shrimp tank (1.5 gallon, UG filter, lightly planted, in the window!) I am so excited to finally get my little shrimps. They are so small!
Got plant lights!!!! they came with a 20 gallon long & the filter,
scrubbed the heck out of the most calcified filter ever, before plopping it in vinegar.
Took 15 various little plants out of the nasty 20 gallon (all covered in brown hair algae), put them in a dark container with tank water hoping to kill the algae and not the plants.
Took pictures of my planted bowl,
fed all the fish,
did a happy dance and I keep going to look at my shrimp! I love them! (the dishes will get washed eventually!)

eduguy 03-25-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venymae (Post 2890150)
Got a cow fish (dalmation molly) for the little guy off freecycle, (he's in love)
bought some cherry shrimp for $1 a piece off craigslist and finally completed my shrimp tank (1.5 gallon, UG filter, lightly planted, in the window!) I am so excited to finally get my little shrimps. They are so small!
Got plant lights!!!! they came with a 20 gallon long & the filter,
scrubbed the heck out of the most calcified filter ever, before plopping it in vinegar.
Took 15 various little plants out of the nasty 20 gallon (all covered in brown hair algae), put them in a dark container with tank water hoping to kill the algae and not the plants.
Took pictures of my planted bowl,
fed all the fish,
did a happy dance and I keep going to look at my shrimp! I love them! (the dishes will get washed eventually!)

Wow, lots of great deals! Would a planted 1g RCS bowl/tank need a heater?

Autumnsky 03-25-2014 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eduguy (Post 2890477)
Wow, lots of great deals! Would a planted 1g RCS bowl/tank need a heater?

I kept one which was my 2.5G bowl with plants mostly floating like a jungle and some plants growing out the top with culled RCS and then with Blue Cherry Shrimp and both did fine with no heater. I monitored the temps and it was about 72F. They were in the kitchen and not near any drafts. It was the warmest room in the house. Occasionally they got around 68F.

I put a little 1-3G ZooMed heater in a different bowl, a 3G, and I don't think it did much. It looks sort of round and flat, made for Betta bowls and can go under the sand. I did that in winter to keep them from getting too chilly. The shrimp don't breed much if they are chilly.

Shellyx That Cray came from the auction I went to Saturday. He is a cutie. I am keeping an eye on him to see how he treats the plants in the tank. Sometimes they like to trim things. Since he is white he shows up really well on the Eco Complete. I probably will regret getting him since they can cause all kinds of trouble in a tank. My friends blue Cray stayed in his cave area and rarely was seen anywhere else in the tank. So I am kinda hoping it finds a hideout and keeps to its own territory. So far though it has been hiding out in every area of the tank and hasn't found the right spot yet. Several of the other fish have spots staked out so they haven't wanted it in their nooks and crannies, lol.

Now to the sad part of the day.

My Koi Angel is sick, one of the mated pair, likely going to die. It is trying to move around but is just looking awful. And lays back down again.

And the QT tank from some of the fish from the Auction, I have just today found 3 of the 5 Laser Cories dead and one Neon out of 4. The Diamond Tetras seem alright. I just did 2 50% pwc and a 20% on the QT. So glad they are in QT.


And a almost 50% pwc on the Angel's breeding tank. The mate looks good right now, I will be getting some meds tomorrow. Hoping it is isolated issue. It is heart breaking to see. I am putting the Angel into a hospital bucket with a bubbler and heater and see how things go for the morning. Trying not to think about it.

The Betta is still doing alright. He is eating and moving around alright though there in some denting in his fins from drying out. But so far so good there.

Darylb 03-25-2014 07:39 AM

I turned off my power heads and skimmer and fed the tank some Rotifers the scooter blennys and corals loved it especially my bonsai acro

shellyx 03-25-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2890641)
I kept one which was my 2.5G bowl with plants mostly floating like a jungle and some plants growing out the top with culled RCS and then with Blue Cherry Shrimp and both did fine with no heater. I monitored the temps and it was about 72F. They were in the kitchen and not near any drafts. It was the warmest room in the house. Occasionally they got around 68F.

I put a little 1-3G ZooMed heater in a different bowl, a 3G, and I don't think it did much. It looks sort of round and flat, made for Betta bowls and can go under the sand. I did that in winter to keep them from getting too chilly. The shrimp don't breed much if they are chilly.

Shellyx That Cray came from the auction I went to Saturday. He is a cutie. I am keeping an eye on him to see how he treats the plants in the tank. Sometimes they like to trim things. Since he is white he shows up really well on the Eco Complete. I probably will regret getting him since they can cause all kinds of trouble in a tank. My friends blue Cray stayed in his cave area and rarely was seen anywhere else in the tank. So I am kinda hoping it finds a hideout and keeps to its own territory. So far though it has been hiding out in every area of the tank and hasn't found the right spot yet. Several of the other fish have spots staked out so they haven't wanted it in their nooks and crannies, lol.

Now to the sad part of the day.

My Koi Angel is sick, one of the mated pair, likely going to die. It is trying to move around but is just looking awful. And lays back down again.

And the QT tank from some of the fish from the Auction, I have just today found 3 of the 5 Laser Cories dead and one Neon out of 4. The Diamond Tetras seem alright. I just did 2 50% pwc and a 20% on the QT. So glad they are in QT.


And a almost 50% pwc on the Angel's breeding tank. The mate looks good right now, I will be getting some meds tomorrow. Hoping it is isolated issue. It is heart breaking to see. I am putting the Angel into a hospital bucket with a bubbler and heater and see how things go for the morning. Trying not to think about it.

The Betta is still doing alright. He is eating and moving around alright though there in some denting in his fins from drying out. But so far so good there.

Sorry to hear about your losses :( i hope your angel recovers for you i know how much you like them.

Waiting for my shrimp to arrive thinking they'll be safer in the Africans tank :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

pollex.jaypee 03-25-2014 10:15 AM

Water change :D

Autumnsky 03-25-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2890711)
Sorry to hear about your losses :( i hope your angel recovers for you i know how much you like them.

Waiting for my shrimp to arrive thinking they'll be safer in the Africans tank :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably so, Gonzo doesn't need expensive shrimp snacks.

What kind of shrimp did you order/get?

The Angel is alive but still looking bad it is now in a hospital bucket with heat and air and some plants and some med.

shellyx 03-25-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2891022)
Probably so, Gonzo doesn't need expensive shrimp snacks.

What kind of shrimp did you order/get?

The Angel is alive but still looking bad it is now in a hospital bucket with heat and air and some plants and some med.

They're rcs fire grade? I've put them in my African shrimp tank and they're doing fine swimming about but boy are they tiny!
Hope your angel improves let me know how things go :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kittykat364 03-25-2014 02:42 PM

Autumnsky I hope your fish are ok! Losing fish is (I find) the hardest part of this hobby.

D_Tristan22 03-26-2014 01:03 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?
 
Did WC on all the tanks. I'm so tired now. :/ ha. But I also changed a few things around in my 30 gallon.

should I arrange it a different way?
Something feels off.

D_Tristan22 03-26-2014 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230141

Forgot to add the picture. 😊

jwh0818 03-26-2014 01:12 AM

Yes, those bamboo plants need to have all leaves out of the water or they will die D_Tristan22

D_Tristan22 03-26-2014 02:03 AM

Really? I saw them at the pet store submerged, so I thought it was no big deal. I'll take them out and put them somewhere else. Can I leave them by a window so they can grow through the Suns light or bad idea?

jwh0818 03-26-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Tristan22 (Post 2892045)
Really? I saw them at the pet store submerged, so I thought it was no big deal. I'll take them out and put them somewhere else. Can I leave them by a window so they can grow through the Suns light or bad idea?

That's actually a good idea! Let them grow larger to fit in your tank and have the leaves sticking out! Don't do what a pet store does because 98% of the time, they are wrong!

Alyxx 03-26-2014 02:40 AM

Went and looked around at equipment for the pico reef I want to start soon. Looks like I will be ordering most stuff online. $30 for a 10watt heater? I don't think so!

brinahna_ 03-26-2014 02:45 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?
 
I did a 25% water change on my 46 gallon african cichlid tank and did a little redecorating! I also did a 50% water change to get the fungus medicine out of my bettas tank because I'm finally done medicating! And she is better now! But I think she has cataracts, also did a 25% water change on my other betta tank! Lol

D_Tristan22 03-26-2014 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh0818 (Post 2892047)
That's actually a good idea! Let them grow larger to fit in your tank and have the leaves sticking out! Don't do what a pet store does because 98% of the time, they are wrong!


Okay. I'll do that.
Hopefully they grow fast.
Next time I'll just ask here if I'm not sure. Thank you.

tylermakin 03-27-2014 02:00 AM

Upgraded my hob from a marine land 280 - which was absolutely garbage from the day I got it with what seemed to be an inferior and dated design to an ac70 which is absolutely shockingly quiet. I can't hear it at all what so ever over my air pump! For a 38g it's a perfect match I also got a prefilter for the intake. I also bought a few plastic plants. One to hide my exposed heater and some little ones for decoration, also I bought one glass top :) - tried to buy matrix media by seachem but my lfs was sold out.
And one pane of glass on the glass too is slightly too long so now I need to return it.

Darylb 03-27-2014 05:27 AM

Bought a kent marine nano skimmer and a aquaone aquavis 700 canister filter that I'm gonna run as a sump on my new nano tank

venymae 03-27-2014 07:51 PM

started soaking some new driftwood I picked up at the lake, started cleaning the nasty 20 gallon long I bought used, picked up a UG filter for the 20 (thanks for being a hoarder dad!), did some therapy shopping and picked up 4 ghost shrimp (two are berried!) from walmart. Surprisingly our Walmart has really healthy fish. I'd say better than petco and petsmart by a landslide. Guess that one guy working there knows his stuff....:)

54seaweed 03-27-2014 09:23 PM

Installed new sump along with a auto fill , it's so Quiet I don't even hear
it running

VioletGoby 03-28-2014 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Received and set up my awesome new Aquatop cf-500uv filter! Woooooo! Great price and perfect for my cichlid tank!

Autumnsky 03-28-2014 04:56 PM

Noticed the bubble nest in my pretty newer Dragonscale's tank got huge. He has been darting around the tank like he was looking for someone...

Added my fattest little female in there and let them meet and chase each other around. She was scared at first and then put on some tiger mating stripes and they got to meet and chase around the tank. She followed him some and after about 10 min he started really chasing her and nipping at her. She would rest and then come back near him so I think we could get a match here.

I took her back out and plopped her back in with the rest of the girls. Maybe he will make his nest even bigger. I will plop her back in in either tonight or in the morning and see if anything happens

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66142.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66140.jpg

Alan79 03-29-2014 04:36 AM

Setup process.
I bought some pipes to plumb the overflow of my new (used) 35g tank and a return pump capable of 500L/h. Filled the (filthy) tank with water to leak test and spent about 1.5 hours scraping scrubbing and making it look pretty and newish again. Time well spent though and i can happily say that it is leak free and only has minor superficial scratches. Great buy for $50 andit will probably become my first saltwater tank one day in future. I need to build a stand tomorrow and see what kind of start i can make on a sump. I have two nicely sized tanks that i will chose from and look for a DIY plan that i like tonight after cleaning out the most damaged looking sump option and get started with some partitions. I think I'll just go with a wier style overflow system leading to a long empty section that will house the return pump. I figure i can get at least 10g of extra volume running through a 15-17g sump. This tank will combine all the 5 or so months of knowledge i have gained with planting and has more floor space and low height than all my other tanks so it's going to be exciting filling it with plants. I think that i enjoy having a garden i don't have to remember to water as much as keeping fish.

Tank maintenance
Just feeding today.
Comets got flakes in the morning and a small snack of pellets at lunch because they were begging. Will feed them and every tank peas tonight.
20g Community got a flakes and bloodworm. Needs a WC tonight and meds for fungus added. I thought it was gone but it returned in two fish that had slight infections on their side. It's been a PITA since i took on 7 fish in an abandoned tank that had a broken filter. They matched my stocking so i thought, great free stock upgrade but the meds have meant i spent more than i would have needed to spend on new fish. And sadly 3/7 fish have since died. The free tank that they came in is a nice 6g rimless cube that i like though and worth $70 from my LFS (with a working HOB in the deal). Sadly the HOB from this stup was burnt out.
20g Kuhli and RCS got a small amount of pellets and a big feed of bloodworms.

I may also do a hardscape for a terrarium i want to get set up for some fiddler crabs. I had planned it a few weeks back but life and family visits put that on the back burner. I at least got some emersed plant clippings started on a windowsill that i can just plant straight away on the island i build. I'm excited about getting these little guys. I have a small cycled filter ready to go for them i just have to stop postponing the build for their tank. The LFS is keeping them underwater but i'm pretty sure the variety they have need land to have a healthy life. I hope they don't destroy plants though.

Galligak 03-29-2014 10:14 PM

Went to the CAFE convention in Columbus today (awesome!) and got 10 CRS. A little outside the plans today but I couldn't pass them up! So now I'm frantically rushing around to get the tank around for them. I have RO water from the store, extra plants and driftwood in a tank with the shrimp. I still need to find some substrate and a few more things. But awesome day!!!

uelissa 03-29-2014 11:23 PM

75% water Change in 2 out of the 4 tanks, and moved some fish around

Ayi 03-31-2014 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent to an auction yesterday day. I put up a cobalt blue zebra and yellow lab juvies. I got hap sp. tomato fry($10) african water fern($5) Christmas moss($6) and rotala Mexican var. bangledesh($7)
I think I did pretty good.Attachment 231066

tommyk 03-31-2014 04:00 PM

Added 4 female Molly's to my tank. I had bought 3 before I knew much and it turned out they were 2 male and one female. The poor female was exhausted and the males fighting all the time. Peace has been restored!!

paul87 03-31-2014 05:09 PM

Watched my new orchid dottyback that I added yesterday in the caves hiding and noticed that my electric flame scallop has FINALLY came out of his cave enough to where I can see him! Good day.
https://i.imgur.com/DDFLYko.jpg

Alan79 04-01-2014 07:59 AM

WC on 35g feeding and top up on all tanks. Measured, marked, cut, drilled and sanded the wood for the stand i'm making for my new 35g. I need to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow for some bits i still need (flat board for the tank to rest on and facing to enclose the stand) then i'll screw it all together and add some undercoat. Hopefully i can scape and fill before the weekend and get my sump filter cycling.

I have been wondering if my Kuhli lloach were eating all the baby Cherry shrimp in my tank as i have tried for days to spot one. I'm glad to say i saw two today of varying sizes. Hopefully i have another thirty or forty hiding out within the tank. It would be nice to know i can breed both Ramshorn Snails and Cherry Shrimp (such an accomplishment :p ). I wish i had trouble breeding the snails.

Autumnsky 04-01-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 2900243)
I have been wondering if my Kuhli lloach were eating all the baby Cherry shrimp in my tank as i have tried for days to spot one. I'm glad to say i saw two today of varying sizes. Hopefully i have another thirty or forty hiding out within the tank. It would be nice to know i can breed both Ramshorn Snails and Cherry Shrimp (such an accomplishment :p ). I wish i had trouble breeding the snails.

I have to say that when I got some baby Kuhlis, they were too small to go into my bigger tank because they could have been eaten so I instead put them into my 16G Mixed color Cherry Shrimp tank. At first there was no issues I could see but as they reached teenager size, boy was I short on baby Cherry Shrimp. The little buggers (Kuhlis) were getting fat and growing big off the crop of shrimp.

The Bristelnose Pleco babies like to suck up baby shrimp too judging from my numbers of babies being so low now in my Fire Red tank. I have tried many different tankmates for the shrimp and it has proved to be a negative for the shrimp, with the exception of Chilis aka Boraras Brigittae.

Others that ate the babies were newborn CPO orange crayfish, Green Neons and Sundanio Axlerodi Blue Neon. So far the Chilis are the only fish that have not caused a decline in baby numbers. I did also have White Cloud Mountain Minnows and they would for sure eat anything that was crawling around the top of the tank, but the ones in the middle and bottom were fine because the WCMM didn't go down into that area much. Even will all very densely planted and floating plants and floating stems.

********
Ok, well my sick Angel fish is still hanging in there. I am very surprised. Doing a new bucket of clean water and same kind but new dose of meds.

My Orange Laser Cories all ended up dead, and the remaining 3 little tiny Cardinals also seemed to have disappeared from the QT. The Diamond Tetras are all alive and seem to be well, though if anything would have survived, I wish it would have been the very expensive Cories, not the $1. per fish Diamonds.

Yesterday I cleaned the prefilter on my 6.6G Edge because the flow was lower than it should have been, and added some Cuttlebone scrapings into the tank. There already is a big piece in the tank, but wanted to get a little more into the water since I saw a Shrimp laying sideways, looking like it was getting ready to molt and didn't want to see any molting problems start.

Haven't had time to put the female Betta back into the male's tank because of working so much and other things which need attention keeping me busy. Probably try for Thurs and Friday.

Will be doing fill for evaporation and a little pwc on the 12G Edge Blue Velvet shrimp tank. I have been trying to do more, frequent smaller pwc since the shrimp were seeming to be berried well and I didn't want to change the tank too much water wise as this time of year our city water parameters seem to change dramatically week to week.

Mr Fisher 04-01-2014 02:24 PM

Pulled some plants I sold, did a PWC on a few of them and made a few notes on my huge plant growth in my endler tank.

venymae 04-01-2014 09:04 PM

Did the big tank shuffle today!
The 2 betta girl and the molly from the 10 gal went into the 29 gal community tank.
The 10 gallon was retrofitted into a new luxury suite for Mr.Blue fish, the Betta, who was removed from the 5.5 gallon. The 5.5 was (finally!) made into a crab-itat for my DH's fiddler crab (whom I didn't want - we made a very awkward social situation for the walmart guy as we filled the air with tension and pent up anger as we argued about getting him.) Found a berried RCS in the shrimp-o 20 gallon long (yahooo!) and learned that my excitement about getting two berried ghost shrimp will probably be for naught. My RCS are finally coming out and running around the tank which is lots of fun :) Wish I had better lights for the 20, gonna hit up the yard-sales and hope I get lucky.

missnathasha 04-03-2014 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned my 10g,moved fry into my 5gAttachment 231542 and ordered this cool decor, now to just pick what tank out of the three of them gets it,, decisions decisions! 😜

shellyx 04-03-2014 02:53 PM

50 % clean on my shrimp tank and algae scrub.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

DMunoz84 04-03-2014 03:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dirtied it Attachment 231575
& After Attachment 231576

lozo_fish 04-03-2014 08:04 PM

I cleaned my turtle tank,changed the filters out & washed off the rocks/plants

Dwarriors65 04-03-2014 08:55 PM

Added a crayfish

lozo_fish 04-04-2014 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 231660
55g turtle tank
Soft shell Florida
Mississippi
Yellow belly

shellyx 04-04-2014 08:28 AM

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank and algae scrub, rinsed the filters. Re arranged the tank again seems to have more room now :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Supergummy 04-04-2014 09:21 PM

Went to the London aquarium today..... Amazing

Fresh2o 04-05-2014 09:38 AM

A day of firsts:
I setup my first pressurized CO2 system: AquaTek Premium + Valken 24 oz Paintball tank.
https://i.imgur.com/ID2UFRZ.jpg
Going to my first fish auction: Potomac Valley Aquarium Society (PVAS)
I took everything out of the aquarium cabinet and put it into laundry basket; time to clean out the cabinet and reorganize the supplies and rework the wires, power strips, and timers.

Alan79 04-06-2014 08:55 AM

Took delivery of two fish tanks i'm fish sitting for a week. 4 fantails in one and a Siamese fighter in the other. Fed the fighter his first frozen bloodworm ever and the fantails and fighter got peas for the first time as well.

My tanks- 25% water change on 2 x 20g, 50% on 35g.
Kuhli and shrimp tank- Fed frozen bloodworm and NLS sinking pellets.
Community 20g- Frozen bloodworms, freeze dried Australian blackworms, and a pleco algae wafer (now the home to about 50 juvenile ramshorn snails) and a couple of peas.
Comets- Vegetables only today, they're looking bloated. Some fresh picked lettuce in the morning and a big feed of frozen pea at night.

Big trim and replant on my community 20g, dosed ferts and checked the DIY CO2. I removed the Cabomba which was struggling and extended the groves of Ludwigia, Pennywort and Sunset Hygro to fill the space the Cabomba was in. My Ludwigia actually went from brown at the tips to red which is exciting for me. Potassium is now included in my dosing which might have been what tipped it from brown to red under my low light.

I seeded a bubble filter i'm going to use in a shrimp tank i'm setting up.I want to see loads of young shrimp and i don't think that will happen with Kuhli tank mates.

Autumnsky 04-06-2014 07:51 PM

Did substrate clean and complete filter clean on 16G and 37G.

Angel still not better, not dead but not really any better, I can't see it recovering at this point so probably going to put it down. Might be able to talk to another fish keeper nearby and see if he has any possible hope once seen in person.

Soaking some little driftwood which are on 6" tiles and see what to do with them. They are dry as dust and wanted to float so I had to put rocks on the thin slate tiles to keep them down. Moving my Diamond tetras out of QT and into the 72G.

Waiting to see some Millenium Red Rainbows offered nearby. They are really pretty. Been trying to plan on my maybe upcoming simple shoestring budget build for SW, probably going to be the 37G tank but still thinking it over so maybe the 16G.

It has been a restless week in fish land for me, really feeling I need a change in the tanks, design and stocking. Lots of contemplation. Lots of trying to learn about SW.

Selling my 5G Marineland to a friends friend for $20. what I paid for it, so a free rental, probably...this week. Making connections can be tricky with difficult work schedules.

Fresh2o 04-06-2014 10:11 PM

Drained the tank down to 2" of water and slid it to the right a couple of inches to make room for the new regulator and tank. Big water change. Watching the plants pearl.
Added 1/4 tsp of calcium montmorillonite clay to the shrimp tank and ~3/4 tsp to the planted tank. Hoping the calcium will help the decayed tips of the MTS shells and boost Ca+ for the plants. The stuff was cloudy at first but after a few hours the water became very clear.

sjonesej0 04-07-2014 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I purchased two shrimpAttachment 232237

Dallascowboys16 04-07-2014 09:53 PM

Watched my pants pearl, dosed dry ferts. Cleaned the powerhead of some algae and admired the tank. Rescaped yesterday w/75% water change and really like it. Looks clean. Also planted some postegemon helferi I got from petsmart yesterday and I've already seen some new side shoots so everything's good right now.

ezy33 04-07-2014 10:46 PM

Today I replaced my mag 12 running my refugium and skimmer and my mag 18 for the DT. with a SpeedWave 2640. Replaced my 3/4" SCWD with a 1" SCWD and split both outputs. Before I was pulling 260 watts now 55 watts! With a lot more water moving. Looking to save some on the power bill. Next I have 2 solar panels, 2 battery's and a inverter I plan to run my LEDs on.

VioletGoby 04-08-2014 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Out with fluorescent, in with my new LED.

Current Satellite Freshwater LED+

My fish seemed to appreciate the softer 'cloud cover' setting and it was fun to watch the 'lightning storm' effect.

All the fish were looking up toward the light. Lol. Pretty fun! Gotta love new toys!

Autumnsky 04-08-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletGoby (Post 2909351)
Out with fluorescent, in with my new LED.

Current Satellite Freshwater LED+

My fish seemed to appreciate the softer 'cloud cover' setting and it was fun to watch the 'lightning storm' effect.

All the fish were looking up toward the light. Lol. Pretty fun! Gotta love new toys!

Keep us posted about this light, I am wanting one I think!

VioletGoby 04-08-2014 02:27 PM

@autumnsky Absolutely! Here is the light on Amazon, it has amazing reviews.

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 48 to 60-Inch by Current USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7OTF9E/..._cedrtb0FJESGB

Autumnsky 04-08-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletGoby (Post 2909434)
@autumnsky Absolutely! Here is the light on Amazon, it has amazing reviews.

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 48 to 60-Inch by Current USA Amazon.com: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 48 to 60-Inch: Pet Supplies

I have been waiting to get this light for about a year when I heard it was coming out. Then just couldn't coordinate the timing for buying, lol. Soon, I hope. :) It was between that and the Finnex.

54seaweed 04-08-2014 09:02 PM

did a real big one today
one of the biggest changes yet
phosphates went crazy no idea how as I don't over feed
but it don't help having a bad test kit

cgthebeast 04-09-2014 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fed the fish, moved some stuff around. Attachment 232491
Before
Attachment 232492
After

Also crapy pictures

DMunoz84 04-09-2014 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did a 50% water change then Helped my dwarf Gourami with his nest in my treeAttachment 232496Attachment 232497

Autumnsky 04-09-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMunoz84 (Post 2910854)
Did a 50% water change then Helped my dwarf Gourami with his nest in my treeAttachment 232496Attachment 232497

That is cool, love the tree. What are you using to control the floaters?

DMunoz84 04-09-2014 04:47 PM

Thanks...1/4 air line with a hose barb connecting the ends. 😀

shellyx 04-09-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgthebeast (Post 2910836)
Fed the fish, moved some stuff around. Attachment 232491
Before
Attachment 232492
After

Also crapy pictures

Very nice!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

shellyx 04-09-2014 06:32 PM

Pwc change on my African shrimp tank all nice and clean for my new shrimp arriving tomorrow :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.