Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 04-27-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 2928968)
Rescape. Tank is a bit hazy. Go to my build thread for details "Fresh2o's 20g Rescape" https://i.imgur.com/Y1EhyWV.jpg

That looks great!!! Nice job.

leannaby 04-27-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2929468)
I like your right side substrate. :) like a fishie jungle gym. May I ask, where and what kind, does everyone get their sand?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used playsand as suggested by others.. It does take some washing first but does look great

Supergummy 04-27-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2929467)
WOW! I LOVE IT! Don't take this the wrong way, but it gives me a "Snow White and The Seven Dwarves" feel. Very homey. I really love it. Excellent work my dear!

Thanks!

Supergummy 04-27-2014 07:45 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Edit: wrong thread lol

enrgizerbunny 04-27-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieBarnett (Post 2928804)
Its not fun. My poor little kiss gouramis are sooo darn sick :/

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Word from the wise. Kissing gouramis fall into the "1 or 5" rule as I understand it.

A pair does not end well under normal circumstances. Don't know the quantity, but given their adult size most keep a lone kisser.

Edit: fed the goldfish broccoli seems to be taking off now

Fresh2o 04-27-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2929481)
That looks great!!! Nice job.

Thanks for the kind words. I did not realize how much the plants had grown until I pulled them out. I only used about 25-30% of them. I would have done an RAOK giveaway but the amount of BBA and the process of separating the good, bad, and ugly was daunting. This is a big change. I actually get to see the substrate.

Alan79 04-27-2014 10:04 AM

My Sunday is always busy with WC.
50% WC on Kuhli tank 9g out 10g in with top up.
Community 20g, took 9g out added 10g, put meds in (stem plants need a trim badly).
Comet 35g (i know too small for them) 40%
I have to dose ferts yet too.

During the day i did a smorgas board day in terms of feeding. I like to give them a day of plentiful feeding when a WC is due. I wonder why my Kuhli loaches are tapered like cigars though.
Comets- Flakes, Crushed algae pellet, watermelon chunk and enough corn to fill their mouths to finish the day. Been neglecting them in terms of variety for a week or so. This was kind of a delayed Easter treat. Greedy buggers are still begging.
Kuhli & Shrimp tank- Sinking pellets, Bloodworms, Peas and Watermelon chunks. Easter for them too but they're easier to give varied frozen food to so less neglected.
Community- Peas, Watermelon, Pellets and Flakes.
Betta- Blackworm, Bloodworm, Watermelon and Pea.

I got no work done on my sump which had been the goal for my afternoon. I had planned to at least have my broken glass bits sorted into size and cut to fit a wier style system but went out for lunch and took 4 hours. I wish i had 4 hour lunch breaks on work days.

fishlove777 04-28-2014 11:22 PM

Did 35% water change, moved my scape so my plant wouldn't be forced down constantly by the filters. Fed some yummy bloodworms too.

Edit: also, I skimmed out all the poop from the last 3-4 days. They have been less productive (or my filters are just catching up) so it hasn't needed it. I took out a "cave" a few days ago and the tank has been much cleaner.

DMunoz84 04-29-2014 07:43 AM

50% water change thinned out some plants. Can't wait for new growth!

enrgizerbunny 04-29-2014 10:58 AM

It's been raining recently, so I drained out a few gallons from the aquaponics system outside yesterday, it's finally cycled and the broccoli plants are starting to really grow. I have to feed the goldfish twice or 3 times a day.

Kittykat364 04-29-2014 03:44 PM

Yesterday: found a female guppy dead

Today: turned off the lights this morning in case someone has velvet, and checked in on them just now and my male guppy's tail is a mess!
Posted a thread asking for help. Don't want my tank to die :o

shellyx 04-30-2014 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big clean on my elephant nose tank yesterday his tail is healing up nicely.
Added some more rcs too my African shrimp tank i have around 30 now so I'm buying no more Lol
Attachment 235518

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 04-30-2014 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=shellyx;2933313]Big clean on my elephant nose tank yesterday his tail is healing up nicely.
Added some more rcs too my African shrimp tank i have around 30 now so I'm buying no more Lol
Attachment 235518

Your RCS should grace the tank with plenty of babies for you!!! Love the snails, nice looking.

Well I will be boiling my rocks today for the start of my SW low budget project. After that I will be setting up a tub and starting to get the coral rocks seeded.

Maybe if I have enough time will clean my Fluval FX-5 filter. Always need a bunch of towels for when I cause a flood. Not my favorite task. And yes it should seem so simple, but somehow I always make a mistake and make a HUGE mess at least once during the process. I keep swearing to make a laminated step by step check list... Thank goodness it is a simple filter, or I would really be in trouble!

Kittykat364 04-30-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2933313)
Attachment 235518

Whoa! That's huge!

shellyx 04-30-2014 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=Autumnsky;2933360]
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2933313)
Attachment 235518

Your RCS should grace the tank with plenty of babies for you!!! Love the snails, nice looking.

Well I will be boiling my rocks today for the start of my SW low budget project. After that I will be setting up a tub and starting to get the coral rocks seeded.

Maybe if I have enough time will clean my Fluval FX-5 filter. Always need a bunch of towels for when I cause a flood. Not my favorite task. And yes it should seem so simple, but somehow I always make a mistake and make a HUGE mess at least once during the process. I keep swearing to make a laminated step by step check list... Thank goodness it is a simple filter, or I would really be in trouble!

Thank you dear! That's what I'm hoping lots of babies!
Good luck with the SW tank one thing I've always wanted to own but I'm not brave enough.
And enjoy your filter cleaning :p

shellyx 04-30-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2933415)
Whoa! That's huge!

Yep Lol everything clears out of his path when he moves!

Autumnsky 04-30-2014 03:44 PM

Well I am very excited to say that the filter cleaning went perfectly. I didn't even flood anything or spill water. That Fluval FX-5 is a workhorse and although it was really dirty inside, it didn't even smell!!! So I am very pleased with it and also hoping my gently rinsing will preserve my BB.

Yes it is just cleaning a filter but it was surprising it went the way it was supposed to!!! Previously, both my floor and myself looked like a swamp with a drown rat.:blink:

Kittykat364 04-30-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2933474)
Well I am very excited to say that the filter cleaning went perfectly. I didn't even flood anything or spill water. That Fluval FX-5 is a workhorse and although it was really dirty inside, it didn't even smell!!! So I am very pleased with it and also hoping my gently rinsing will preserve my BB.

Yes it is just cleaning a filter but it was surprising it went the way it was supposed to!!! Previously, both my floor and myself looked like a swamp with a drown rat.:blink:

That's great! Anything to make cleaning easier makes you want to do it more I find. And/or dread it less lol

Dallascowboys16 04-30-2014 11:26 PM

Fed the fish and topped off some evaporation

fishlove777 05-02-2014 10:44 PM

Did 35% WC. Fed bloodworms. Skimmed out what little poop was in the tank. Tested pH and ammonia levels. Added a dose of pH Down to lower it just a tiny bit.

fishlove777 05-03-2014 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took 30% out and put 35% in to top the evaporation gap. Tested parameters, added more pH Down. Fed them their flakes and watched them be happy.

enrgizerbunny 05-04-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2936533)
Took 30% out and put 35% in to top the evaporation gap. Tested parameters, added more pH Down. Fed them their flakes and watched them be happy.

Your ph will be constantly bouncing like that, better to just leave it alone unless it's off the charts.

Alan79 05-04-2014 09:39 AM

Varied feeding and some big WC for every tank, then added meds to one tank. Prep work on a sump, glass cut to size for partitions then sanding some glass i cut poorly. The battle against greenwater in my kuhli tank goes poorly despite having a dedicated filter with floss only to catch it from the water column. The filter is effective but it has a tough fight. I changed the floss today and i could have painted my walls green with the floss i removed.

Through the week i think the last of my shrimp died in the tank. It's not a good week for the tank because i found a dried up Kuhli under the stand while tidying up after WC too. i saw two of the babies that had almost reached maturity after the last WC so maybe some young shrimp are left but i think they are on borrowed time too. Kuhlis seem healthy enough though.

Autumnsky 05-04-2014 02:02 PM

Pwc on the smaller tanks and clean out the Chi tank all the way to the bottom, then go to real work.

fishlove777 05-04-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny (Post 2936744)
Your ph will be constantly bouncing like that, better to just leave it alone unless it's off the charts.

I wanted to get it in the 7 point range. It was way up. Wanted to lower so I can lower ammonia. I have a pH balancer solution that helps keep it at whatever you put it at so you have less WCs. I think it is called Easy Balance by Tetra. I am just being a little scientist. Nothing that will harm the fish, though. Just experimenting. When these fish are gone one day I may get different ones. So I am just checking everything out. : )

enrgizerbunny 05-04-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2937107)
I wanted to get it in the 7 point range. It was way up. Wanted to lower so I can lower ammonia. I have a pH balancer solution that helps keep it at whatever you put it at so you have less WCs. I think it is called Easy Balance by Tetra. I am just being a little scientist. Nothing that will harm the fish, though. Just experimenting. When these fish are gone one day I may get different ones. So I am just checking everything out. : )

While you're cycling, just keep doing 50% water changes. 35% changes do a little for water chemistry. Just keep changing water to keep ammonia down. A stable water chemistry is better than an ideal water chemistry.

fishlove777 05-04-2014 09:44 PM

I typically do 35% every time and it keeps it about the same. I have a 20G tank and only 7 gallons of jugs to maintain water in. I still live at home due to mental problems, and mom says, "7 is plenty". Apparently 3 more jugs will "fill the room". But, if 50% is more necessary I guess I can sneak 3.

ezy33 05-05-2014 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Watching the submarine races in my refugieum. Attachment 236129

Kittykat364 05-05-2014 11:50 AM

Ha! Have they finished yet?

shellyx 05-06-2014 10:03 AM

Big clean on my elephant nose tank added new plants for him looks a lot better.
Got my eye on a new 63 gallon tank with stand for him not sure whether to buy it as I'm concerned the move might kill him since he needs a mature tank :confused:

Ndefil 05-06-2014 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went from gravel to sand big project but I love it already still really cloudy. Here's a before and after. Attachment 236363Attachment 236364

VioletGoby 05-06-2014 06:51 PM

Looks goooood!

Ndefil 05-06-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletGoby (Post 2939339)
Looks goooood!

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the white sand would be too bright, but I love it!

Coryluv 05-06-2014 09:39 PM

Started operation plant control today. I'm trying some pruning techniques to help encourage healthy, lush, and more compact plants. I'm taking it slow. Today I pruned some dwarf sag and my swords. Tomorrow I'll trim and replant my bacopa australis.

Ndefil 05-06-2014 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 236402and it's getting better

Kittykat364 05-06-2014 09:44 PM

That looks great!

Ndefil 05-06-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2939535)
That looks great!

Thank you. It was a lot of work but totally worth it!!

Autumnsky 05-06-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndefil (Post 2939538)
Thank you. It was a lot of work but totally worth it!!

Keep an eye on the water params for a couple weeks as you could get a mini cycle from the change from gravel. Looks good!

Autumnsky 05-06-2014 11:58 PM

Cleaned out the snail bucket and extra plants in 2 buckets. Had received some plants from a swap and they were in the top of the bucket to get the most light. 3 small Echinodorus angustifolia - Vesuvius Sword Which is REALLY fun and interesting, 3 little bitty Blyxa Japonica. Some Riccia or some sort of Crystal Wort the size of a nickle, looks barely alive right now. Not too sure.

But the real fun, was that I kinda forgot that there were 2 Assassin snails which were a bonus, at the time I got them I put them into the bucket with the most pond snails and therefore saved what few reds I had left. They had already gone to town and there were a dozen empty shells of the little guys.

So I picked out tiny snails from the buckets from the size of a pin tip, some newly hatched reds, to mostly babies, but some the size of a dot, to give the snails something to eat, and save the ones I really wanted and it was good to see a few left from one of my original Grand daddy blue grey Ramshorns!

Rinsed and cleaned the plants and moss.

Changed the water for the Betta girls and got all that back into their containers.

Last night the Elephant Ear Betta went to his new home, and the report this morning, was that he was doing fine.

So in the last 2 days, I have emptied and reduced one bucket and the 2.5G mini bowfront. The mistaken male Betta that was in the female Betta cup needs to go back to the store and get exchanged. HE wasn't in the "she" plan and I can't justify another tank for him, he originally killed the 2 lil babies I first had. Sad, but it wasn't his fault he was in the wrong cup.

Here are a couple pics I thought were fun.

The Anubias plant I got from the Colorado Aquarium Society aution had a flower, and this week I found a new bud. The 1st pic is the two together, then the bud and then the flower.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66472.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66469.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66470.jpg

When I fed the fish some sinking wafers and I came back to check on them I found this!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66475.jpg

Bowl o snails anyone?

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66476.jpg

This little guy was upset the snails had dog piled, urm, snail piled on the wafer, so I had to add a little more.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66471.jpg

Did 75% pwc on 5G and hooked up filter

Kittykat364 05-07-2014 11:35 AM

Wow! Snail overload! Mine don't seem to be as breeding-happy as yours. Either that or they morphed into pond snails :P

Autumnsky 05-07-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2939983)
Wow! Snail overload! Mine don't seem to be as breeding-happy as yours. Either that or they morphed into pond snails :P

LOL
They have been in there for 2 years and I have only given away a few last year, and then about 40 of them just a month ago or so. They DO seem pretty happy. For most of the first year they were in a baby guppy grow out, so they got tons of extra food to eat.

Kittykat364 05-07-2014 02:30 PM

Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!

Autumnsky 05-07-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2940090)
Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!

Assassin snails... I am considering putting my 2 assassin snails in this tank and see if they like these. They are super cleaners so I like them, and pond snails. :) but I am weird:rofl:

Today I am cleaning out my planted bowl and adding new old tank water to it for a little ferts.

Having to add a little substrate to the presently bare bottom Chi tank. Because I kept seeing my Betta heading straight down and then swimming sideways at the bottom of the tank. Thinking he might be sick I went and checked and the bottom is like a mirror, so he keeps thinking he is charging and flaring at another fish!!!

shellyx 05-07-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2939666)
Cleaned out the snail bucket and extra plants in 2 buckets. Had received some plants from a swap and they were in the top of the bucket to get the most light. 3 small Echinodorus angustifolia - Vesuvius Sword Which is REALLY fun and interesting, 3 little bitty Blyxa Japonica. Some Riccia or some sort of Crystal Wort the size of a nickle, looks barely alive right now. Not too sure.

But the real fun, was that I kinda forgot that there were 2 Assassin snails which were a bonus, at the time I got them I put them into the bucket with the most pond snails and therefore saved what few reds I had left. They had already gone to town and there were a dozen empty shells of the little guys.

So I picked out tiny snails from the buckets from the size of a pin tip, some newly hatched reds, to mostly babies, but some the size of a dot, to give the snails something to eat, and save the ones I really wanted and it was good to see a few left from one of my original Grand daddy blue grey Ramshorns!

Rinsed and cleaned the plants and moss.

Changed the water for the Betta girls and got all that back into their containers.

Last night the Elephant Ear Betta went to his new home, and the report this morning, was that he was doing fine.

So in the last 2 days, I have emptied and reduced one bucket and the 2.5G mini bowfront. The mistaken male Betta that was in the female Betta cup needs to go back to the store and get exchanged. HE wasn't in the "she" plan and I can't justify another tank for him, he originally killed the 2 lil babies I first had. Sad, but it wasn't his fault he was in the wrong cup.

Here are a couple pics I thought were fun.

The Anubias plant I got from the Colorado Aquarium Society aution had a flower, and this week I found a new bud. The 1st pic is the two together, then the bud and then the flower.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66472.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66469.jpg

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66470.jpg

When I fed the fish some sinking wafers and I came back to check on them I found this!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66475.jpg

Bowl o snails anyone?

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66476.jpg

This little guy was upset the snails had dog piled, urm, snail piled on the wafer, so I had to add a little more.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66471.jpg

Did 75% pwc on 5G and hooked up filter

Yikes! That's a lot of snails thought my tank had plenty :)
Added a couple of baby viv snail's to my tank going to grow them out before trying them in with Gonzo :eek: hopefully he'll leave these alone. Fresh bloodworm for him tonight.
Fed my African shrimp spirulina powder and cucumber they seem to like that.

Kittykat364 05-07-2014 04:12 PM

Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad :(

Autumnsky 05-07-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2940197)
Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad :(

I understand. Mostly they hide under the sand and you never see anything except empty snail shells. They rarely come out.

Kittykat364 05-07-2014 08:32 PM

Oh dear! Just found a zebra danio fry swimming erratically. He is swimming in a corkscrew. Anyone know what could be the problem? I think it may be that one of his fins is hurt, the danios just move so fast I can't see. The others were picking on him, so I put him in quarantine. Will he be okay by himself? Any help is appreciated.

Kittykat364 05-07-2014 09:18 PM

I figured out the problem. His right fin isn't working! I don't know why though...I'm worried about him.

venymae 05-08-2014 12:28 AM

Topped off the tanks, still trying to get my nitrates up for my poor water column plants. 2 weeks since water change and parameters still look beautiful (for the fish) Nitrates still below 10 though :(. Mystifies me. But glad to not have to do as many WC! The shrimp babies are getting big, noticed two of the original females are newly berried! Zebra Danio with rock stuck in her mouth this morning seems to be fine now, which is good. My otto cats are doing faaaaaaaaaaabulous. Probably need to give them another cucumber tomorrow. Mr.Betta is not picking on them, and apparently though he killed 3 of the ghost shrimp withing a week of putting them in, the 4th is buddy-buddy with him. Also, I think Mr.Betta needs a pea.....poor guy. Theodore (BN Pleco) still hates cucumbers, trying algae wafers, but everyone else like those too, and it's hard to remember to feed the fish at bed time. Grow out tank finally clearing up after rearranging plants (dirted). So impatient for plants to grow (again waiting for the nitrates to rise!) Root feeders are doing well, but column feeders are crying.

Darylb 05-08-2014 12:46 AM

Started to dose calcium in my nano tank as it's all SPS so was draining it a bit

fishlove777 05-08-2014 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezy33 (Post 2937621)
Watching the submarine races in my refugieum. Attachment 236129

That is just too cute. :D

Kittykat364 05-08-2014 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just saw a empty snail shell floating down in my snail tank. And there aren't any assassins. Creepy! Or maybe I'm just not feeding them enough...Attachment 236588

Alan79 05-08-2014 10:27 AM

House inspection tomorrow so i cleaned out beneath my 3 foot tank and refilled it with much of my assorted aquarium junk, but this time neatly enough to fit all of the assorted things in. I also consolidated all the things i can sell, plastic plants, sunken rowboat with skeleton that blows bubbles from his pipe, and a couple of realistic looking logs. I think it should fetch about $20

Fed all tanks, did a WC on my Betta tank, will rescape this weekend and change to black gravel. I need to do a serious trim on one 20g the lower regions are messy because the stems have been trimmed so often. I wanted to start fresh by trimming new growth and replanting while clearing out some of the bare stemmed plants so i let the plants get fairly long. The goal is to have the tank with clean new stems for 2 weeks before a trim is required. Week 3 i can trim again then leave for 2 weeks and start with new stems again. I want to add some driftwood too. I have 2 bits i'll choose from

I plan to add some electrical tape to all chords for my electrical components for each tank. Blue for filters, yellow for lights and red for heaters. I am tired of unplugging 4 plugs to find the right heater during a WC. This should make things easier. I need to buy power boards with switches for each plug.

fishlove777 05-08-2014 02:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Adding new substrate since my aponogeton is about to flower. Fish refused to be caught ahead of time, so they are in the sand cloud.

enrgizerbunny 05-09-2014 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Waiting for them to flop so that I can turn the pump on. I've neglected my WCS the past couple weeks, so they get 100% today.

KeithnHarry 05-09-2014 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tested and treated one of my tanks, fee all my fishes and frogs.Attachment 236712

Attachment 236713

Ndefil 05-09-2014 09:10 PM

I've been only using half of my glass canopy to see the difference light would make. So I unfortunately found one of our harlequin rasboras on the floor. Sad day

DMunoz84 05-09-2014 10:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
BIG trim today can't wait for new growth Attachment 236761Attachment 236762

fishlove777 05-09-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMunoz84 (Post 2942261)
BIG trim today can't wait for new growth Attachment 236761Attachment 236762

Looks beautiful! I have one aponogeton plant in my 20G that successfully grew from the bulbs I got. It is getting ready to flower. I hope to have a well planted tank. I added sand yesterday for the seeds to had something to root in. I hope mine will look as good as yours does!

Autumnsky 05-10-2014 01:58 AM

FIRST Salt Water tank, a nano 5G Chi

This morning I wasn't planning on going to the fish store and setting up my little tank.

Started off cleaning up some melted plants in one bucket and a tank.

Moved Betta girls to the 5G Marineland tank, and a male Betta to the 5G grow out bucket of plants.

Added a heater and added a air bubbler to the snail bucket, considering moving the pond snails and the 2 assassins to the 5G Betta Sorority.

Cleaned the 2.5G I didn't get around to the other day. Moved the melted plants from not getting enough light. Fussy plants, just because they didn't get extra light for a couple days. My temple plants lost all leaves and most of their stems, Ludwigia lost a bunch of leaves, a wad of Guppy Grass turned mostly to mush. Yikes what a mess. Only the Moss was happy. Moving my favorite Betta to the 2.5 for a little while.

Cleaned out the chi, just rinse out wipe down and dry, really was cleaned the other day.

Modified one of my square cat litter buckets I use for grow out buckets so I could use the Fluval Chi filter bubbler fountain in the bucket and the side bracket which holds it onto the glass is supposed to slide down smooth glass. Had to saw off a couple little ridges to make it flatter.

Put together the stones in the SW 5G Chi tank. Added sand, and then the water.

Here is the link to the SW Nano, if you want to help me out, or just follow along. I will add pics there more often of it.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post2942387

Here are a couple pics...

Empty and ready to load!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66517.jpg

This one is all finished...for the night...Sooooo cloudy, right after filling...
What will it look like? Building suspense!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66511.jpg

DMunoz84 05-10-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2942292)
Looks beautiful! I have one aponogeton plant in my 20G that successfully grew from the bulbs I got. It is getting ready to flower. I hope to have a well planted tank. I added sand yesterday for the seeds to had something to root in. I hope mine will look as good as yours does!

Thanks fishlove!

Autumnsky 05-10-2014 08:17 PM

Here is the tank this morning.

I ignored all the other tanks to stare at this one with nothing in it, lol:angel:

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66533.jpg

Researching actual lighting fixtures I will be able to afford!:blink:

Rodeo one 05-10-2014 09:51 PM

Took my Flying Foxes back to the Wet Spot, they were getting too big & disruptive . Beautiful fish tho. Also returned two Yoyo loaches that were supposed to be Golden Zebras.
Purchased a Golden Zebra, omg.... He s so cute! Started hanging with the other4 Zebras right away.
Cleaned all three tanks. Looks so good with fresh water!
Oh, also got Tangerine shrimp & two pregnant Crystal Reds for my 50g mellow community tank ( not the one with the loaches :). )

fishlove777 05-10-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2942930)
Here is the tank this morning.

I ignored all the other tanks to stare at this one with nothing in it, lol:angel:

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture66533.jpg

Researching actual lighting fixtures I will be able to afford!:blink:

Looks good!

I added sand a couple of days ago. Tonight, I did a 50% WC. Put the driftwood back in. Now I am just waiting for the hard water fogginess to go away. Should be gone by morning.

shellyx 05-11-2014 05:29 PM

Large change on my elephant nose tank added some more new plants. Fed him live bloodworm love the clicking and whistling sound he makes when I feed him how boring am I :D

Ndefil 05-11-2014 06:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just took some pictures. Attachment 236916Attachment 236917Attachment 236918Attachment 236919

Autumnsky 05-12-2014 03:30 AM

Found a dead fish, will have to do water test in the morning. Pwc and test again.

DMunoz84 05-12-2014 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Turned enough plants in I got this guy free!!! Attachment 236995
Witch is icing on the cake cuz I was on 3 mount long waiting list.

shellyx 05-12-2014 08:27 AM

Got up this morning and my thermostat in my elephant nose tank had over heated! Luckily he seemed not to stressed, added my other one and just waiting for the water to cool down. Would it harm him if I took a couple of buckets out and added cooler water just a couple of degrees lower?

Autumnsky 05-13-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2943791)
Got up this morning and my thermostat in my elephant nose tank had over heated! Luckily he seemed not to stressed, added my other one and just waiting for the water to cool down. Would it harm him if I took a couple of buckets out and added cooler water just a couple of degrees lower?

Gonzo still alright? Hope so! What brand and size of heater was it if you don't mind saying?

enrgizerbunny 05-13-2014 12:50 AM

Found 3 dead tiger barbs. 100% water change was this past Thursday, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

shellyx 05-13-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2944488)
Gonzo still alright? Hope so! What brand and size of heater was it if you don't mind saying?

He's fine thanks, it was a jewel 300 watt heater what a fright i got!

Autumnsky 05-13-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2944551)
He's fine thanks, it was a jewel 300 watt heater what a fright i got!

Glad all is well and you were on top of checking things.

I lost one fish the night before and two nights before a Bamboo shrimp. Initially I thought the shrimp had been killed after molting as I had seen a exoskeleton a couple days before that. But it seems I have had a mini cycle even after doing what I thought was a gentle cleaning on my FX-5.

This week has been a busy one and I was going to do a pwc on the tank but didn't. :nono: So lesson learned.

Used the Python for draining the water, but I don't have the right size faucet, sink and connector for filling, so it was a lot of work, did a 75% (in the 72G) pwc, added some Cuttlebone powder to help make sure I don't have a pH crash and the fish are looking perkier and I am hoping everything will smooth out. I will be checking the parameters in the morning to make sure all is well. If not will do another pwc.

Pwc in 12G, 6.6G, and snail bucket, and plant bucket and plant bucket 2, and 5G Betta Sorority.

shellyx 05-13-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 2944843)
Glad all is well and you were on top of checking things.

I lost one fish the night before and two nights before a Bamboo shrimp. Initially I thought the shrimp had been killed after molting as I had seen a exoskeleton a couple days before that. But it seems I have had a mini cycle even after doing what I thought was a gentle cleaning on my FX-5.

This week has been a busy one and I was going to do a pwc on the tank but didn't. :nono: So lesson learned.

Used the Python for draining the water, but I don't have the right size faucet, sink and connector for filling, so it was a lot of work, did a 75% (in the 72G) pwc, added some Cuttlebone powder to help make sure I don't have a pH crash and the fish are looking perkier and I am hoping everything will smooth out. I will be checking the parameters in the morning to make sure all is well. If not will do another pwc.

Pwc in 12G, 6.6G, and snail bucket, and plant bucket and plant bucket 2, and 5G Betta Sorority.

Sorry for your losses :( i hope things settle back down for you. You've been a busy lady! Lot's off pwc you've had to do.

Autumnsky 05-13-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 2944857)
Sorry for your losses :( i hope things settle back down for you. You've been a busy lady! Lot's off pwc you've had to do.

That is why I was trying to downsize, lol. Thanks!

Autumnsky 05-14-2014 03:42 AM

Well... rounded out the pwc to all the tanks, with a 50% on the 37G and 2 50% on the 16G because I found the pump in the water filter was barely working and so I took it apart and cleaned the impeller, but after taking it apart 3 times and putting it back together it is definitely broken. My little Ram was hiding in the back of the tank and didn't come out to see me when I fed, which was the first hint that something wasn't right. So 12:30am I was doing water changes. Also trimmed a few yellowed leaves in the 72G.

Taking in a SW water sample to the fish store tomorrow on my way any how to see the critters a couple more stores have, and get some RO/DI water. Hopefully no pwc for the rest of the day. Oh and going to get a new filter for the 16. Unless I can dig out something from the far reaches of the closet.:lol:

cmwalters 05-14-2014 11:37 PM

Man it's been a while. College has been crazy and I have had zero time. So I got a 8 gallon biocube today, well my mom got it but looks like I'll be taking care of it. No complaints, she's coming around to the whole fish keeping thing. It's saltwater and eventually gonna be a reef. Should be cycled by the end of the week as it was cycled at the store with the same live rock and we drained half the water and brought it home. Seeing a bunch of cool hitchhikers and a good number of pods. She wants a green clown goby and a shrimp. I'm excited, should be a good learning experience for both me and her. Oh and I rescaped her 10 gallon, pics to come tomorrow. My 20 long is doing well and I caught two of my beckfords pencilfish breeding the other day. Don't expect any eggs to make it between the parents, the cories, and me not doing anything about them. But who knows.

enrgizerbunny 05-15-2014 01:00 AM

100% change on the vacant, cycled 10 gallon. Going to get some platys one day, lol. Brought home another goldfish yesterday for the aquaponics and planted 3 tomato plants today.

Autumnsky 05-15-2014 01:52 PM

Had to do another 50% pwc on the 16G, the cute little Ram didn't recover from the poor water quality. Set up a little extra filter I had recently bought for a Betta tank, and Aqueon internal 15G and put the massive amount of filter pads back into the tank from the broken filter, to keep the bb alive.

Spilled about a gallon of water from the tank all over the place when the bottom part of the hose popped out of the bucket and ran a 3/4 inch tube of water all over the front and back of the cabinet before I could get it back into the bucket. :facepalm:

Pre ordered some great looking creatures for my little SW tank from Mindblowingcorals.com. A couple of Teal Trumpets, a Green Slimer, a Bam Bam. They are local for me and have really nice stuff compared to most of the rest of stores around here, so a great place to go

Allyson there is going to walk me through and give me a tutorial on them and the tank and care, and she is going to keep them for me until I make sure the tank is cycled and can order my new light.

She is going to make sure that I get them set in the right spots for the lighting and flow. And show me all their tanks and stuff they have growing for the near future. They are going to be a vendor at the MACNA. convention here in Denver, this summer!

Krissycakes 05-15-2014 02:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a bunch of Cryptocoryne today that a friend was going to compost. He goes through bunches like crazy. Now I need to figure out how to plant it LOL

Kittykat364 05-15-2014 06:47 PM

Wow. That's a LOT of cryptocoryne!

Krissycakes 05-15-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 2946681)
Wow. That's a LOT of cryptocoryne!

https://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/tagu3yqe.jpg
I am somewhat pleased. Might bunch it all together and get more plants/wood

Krissycakes 05-15-2014 07:36 PM

I didn't use the whole bunch, I gave half to my bf.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kittykat364 05-15-2014 07:55 PM

Good idea. That seemed like too much.

Today I fed the fish, paid attention to them, that's just about it.

fishlove777 05-15-2014 10:24 PM

Had my water tested today, my nitrites and nitrates are climbing but ammonia is at zero. My pH is also too high for them. Tonight, Rose died. The guy at the store said to NOT do water changes but to add bioboost and a heater to quote "get them out of a funk". Sir, they have nitrate poisoning. They are sitting at the bottom, not eating at all, and stay in the same spots all day long. That water needs changed or else they will ALL die. You have to get those levels down and that is how you do it. I am not going two weeks without changing water. It just isn't healthy. And their temperature is fine, it stays stable on its own from the light and my room temp. It isn't heat and "in a funk". Smarty pants.
So I changed one of my two filter pads because even when I rinse it, the water overflows in the filter. I will do a water change as soon as I can in the morning when water warms up.

Krissycakes 05-15-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2946884)
Had my water tested today, my nitrites and nitrates are climbing but ammonia is at zero. My pH is also too high for them. Tonight, Rose died. The guy at the store said to NOT do water changes but to add bioboost and a heater to quote "get them out of a funk". Sir, they have nitrate poisoning. They are sitting at the bottom, not eating at all, and stay in the same spots all day long. That water needs changed or else they will ALL die. You have to get those levels down and that is how you do it. I am not going two weeks without changing water. It just isn't healthy. And their temperature is fine, it stays stable on its own from the light and my room temp. It isn't heat and "in a funk". Smarty pants.
So I changed one of my two filter pads because even when I rinse it, the water overflows in the filter. I will do a water change as soon as I can in the morning when water warms up.

It sucks when people assume that the problem you have can be solved by buying chemicals and more equiptment. I agree with you, Do the water change:) I like to keep my nitrates <20ppm. Max. But most of my tanks are planted and I havent had any problems. I am sorry for your loss): I hope the rest of your fish pull through!

fishlove777 05-15-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissycakes (Post 2946928)
It sucks when people assume that the problem you have can be solved by buying chemicals and more equiptment. I agree with you, Do the water change:) I like to keep my nitrates <20ppm. Max. But most of my tanks are planted and I havent had any problems. I am sorry for your loss): I hope the rest of your fish pull through!

I knew something was really wrong when they all started staying at the bottom all day and won't eat. So I checked my ammonia and it was 0. I do not have the nitrite and nitrate tester yet, so I took it in. Surely enough my suspicions of nitrate poisoning was correct. I just needed to know the level. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Thank you. I hope I don't wake up or come home to my other couple fish dead, tomorrow. I will probably chew that guy out even though he seemed to not be having a good mental health day. I have been there, but if you can't perform, call off. Took him 30 mins to check my water and tell me all this. The other guy, I would have been in and out of the store with a water check, bioboost bacteria, and all info in 5 mins. I was like my fish are gonna keel over by the time you are finished.

fishlove777 05-15-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2946937)
I knew something was really wrong when they all started staying at the bottom all day and won't eat. So I checked my ammonia and it was 0. I do not have the nitrite and nitrate tester yet, so I took it in. Surely enough my suspicions of nitrate poisoning was correct. I just needed to know the level. The paper they check off even says 50% WC. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Thank you. I hope I don't wake up or come home to my other couple fish dead, tomorrow. I will probably chew that guy out even though he seemed to not be having a good mental health day. I have been there, but if you can't perform, call off. Took him 30 mins to check my water and tell me all this. The other guy, I would have been in and out of the store with a water check, bioboost bacteria, and all info in 5 mins. I was like my fish are gonna keel over by the time you are finished.

enrgizerbunny 05-16-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2946884)

You're nitrRITEs are probably too high. But you needn't worry, because you know the solution and you'll be cycled soon enough. The nitrite spike is the last phase before you're done!

fishlove777 05-16-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny (Post 2947042)
You're nitrRITEs are probably too high. But you needn't worry, because you know the solution and you'll be cycled soon enough. The nitrite spike is the last phase before you're done!

Had to go to work first thing and water was still cold. Yay almost done! I did get bioboost though for bacterial maintenance.

enrgizerbunny 05-16-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2947048)
Had to go to work first thing and water was still cold. Yay almost done! I did get bioboost though for bacterial maintenance.

Bacteria will maintain themselves naturally one they become established.

enrgizerbunny 05-16-2014 02:24 PM

50% WC on the 55 and the aquaponics system. The latter didn't really need it, but the pH was running a little high, probably because I'm overdosing the potassium carbonate. I love being able to at least get 2 uses out of my water now, though.

DMunoz84 05-16-2014 02:35 PM

I switched my co2 diffuser around & now with a powerhead pointed right at my HC. Hoping that'll help it grow.

fishlove777 05-16-2014 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny (Post 2947169)
Bacteria will maintain themselves naturally one they become established.

I am going to add some since I replaced one cartridge. I think Blanche is in her way out as well. I just did the 50% WC, but I wonder if it is enough, now, to pull her through.

Fishy Smell 05-17-2014 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishlove777 (Post 2947351)

I am going to add some since I replaced one cartridge. I think Blanche is in her way out as well. I just did the 50% WC, but I wonder if it is enough, now, to pull her through.

IME 50% water change will do more harm than good, it changes the water chemistry too much and upsets the fish. That said, livebearers can be notoriously fickle and die off at times for little or no reason.

I don't change more than 15% of the water at any one time. I overfilter, and if i feel i need to change water, i do it every 3 days or so at < 15% amounts.

shellyx 05-17-2014 08:34 AM

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank and added some more red ramshorn snails.

fishlove777 05-17-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy Smell (Post 2947800)
IME 50% water change will do more harm than good, it changes the water chemistry too much and upsets the fish. That said, livebearers can be notoriously fickle and die off at times for little or no reason.

I don't change more than 15% of the water at any one time. I overfilter, and if i feel i need to change water, i do it every 3 days or so at < 15% amounts.

I would have done my weekly 50% today. I just did it a day ahead of time.

Darylb 05-17-2014 09:34 AM

I done a 35% water change on my 55 gal reef tank

enrgizerbunny 05-17-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy Smell (Post 2947800)

Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Coryluv 05-17-2014 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weekly water change, one day late. Fed plants. Took pic of newly planted Staurogyne repens. Watched mystery snails and corys feast on zucchini slice.