Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

emerald76 10-08-2014 09:15 PM

Wow that's deep. Okay well I was pretty basic. Fed and looked for a Cory cat and watched my rams!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alyxx 10-09-2014 03:26 AM

Mollies are still doing well. I need to get some decor in the tank, it looks so bare! I'm thinking of picking up some sculpey and making some stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 10-09-2014 05:03 AM

Well will be away from my tanks for about 1.5 weeks and no one else in the house knows how to take care if it correctly. So I am trying to figure that out.

I need to set my light timers, and find them and reorganize my fish stuff and get rid of some things pretty soon.

Clean out all filters and do pwc in the next 5 days....:eek::eek::eek:

I tried feeding some brussel sprout leaves moderately cooked. Had mild interest in a couple of tanks but fish and shrimp not too excited about it.

Saw one of my Chocolate Cherry shrimp fry, so I think by the sizes I have at least seen 2. I cant find my magnifying glass so it is hard to see them, plus all the moss and DW, plants and rocks, there are lots of hiding places.

I think there should be at least a dozen from the looks of the momma.

I lost the big Scarlet Gem Badis. The little one seems to be eating. It could have been old age, I am not too sure how old they get but I believe it was a couple years old at least.

Wish me luck on remembering everything for the filter clean out on the FX-5.

Darylb 10-09-2014 06:42 AM

Ordered a new one! 2x2x1 as a frag tank to grow out and propergate my corals

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 10-14-2014 02:24 AM

Leaving tomorrow so moved around some corals and my wayward mushroom in the tank that moves all around the tank tried to get a spot for it, it wasn't liking where I put it a couple weeks ago.

SW - Made a huge mess, did pwc on 15G and the Macro Algae tank and the Macroalgae vase.

FW - Need to make index cards for each tank with what and when and how much.

Pwc on every of the FW tanks.

Also last night found several babies, shrimp in the Chocolate Cherry shrimp tank. There is one which I think will look like momma shrimp nice and brown, clearish tinted brown, female. A Pretty much clear one, female and also a reddish one male. I was worried about the brown momma shrimp since I hadn't seen her for days but I found her and she was out and healthy and looking good and healthy. Both the brown and reddish brown momma dropped their babies and the brown looked like I might have seen little tiny eggs underneath again, I think...

I am gonna do a complete clean out on that tank in a few weeks when I have a bit more time.

Alan79 10-15-2014 08:58 AM

Beware of the essay to come.

I had a death in the family. Sonic my Crowntail Betta had just lost his energy. He was living among some floating plants for the last month or two and only eating when i placed food over him so he didn't have to chase it. I could see nothing wrong with him externally, i just think he was old. If he fell off his island of plants he would struggle to get back onto them. I had him for the last six months. I was fish sitting for a girl who decided to move and dump him and two fantail goldfish on me permanently. Sonic was a friendly fish though and i'm always a little sad when a fish dies that has a personality.

Everyone else is doing well. I am cycling a larger tank i picked up for the fantails. It's my first bow front & has built in filters and lighting so is convenient. It's nothing exciting to look at yet, just small stones water and about 50 young ramshorn snails i am feeding up. They are helping me cycle. I have bought about $100 worth of aquarium gear selling my ramshorns. I will probably ditch the multi toned river stones i have in there for black ones soon. I just have none to put in there right now. I have enough sand to go that way but i like black stones in most of my other tanks, and already have a sand bottomed tank that i'm only half happy with.

Sold $30 worth of red ramshorns to my LFS for store credit. Bought $10 worth of frozen foods and was eyeballing a dwarf gourami. I'm short a heater in a QT tank at the moment. I left the Gourami for another day.

I will be on the lookout for a similar looking Betta to Sonic (blue body with red webbing through blue fins. I have a female (same description) that i want to breed but sonic got too old. He did the dance with venus twice but didn't know to pick up the eggs and place them in the bubble nest. I hope i can find a similar young Betta to match her coloring. They seem common enough.

Did a massive plant trim in my 2x20g tanks. I let them get a bit choked with plants. I wound up with about 1/3 of a 9 litre bucket of Ludwigia repens, slightly more than 1/3 of sunset hygro and about 150 young shoots of dwarf chain sword. My Pennywort is being choked out though. I have a healthy supply in a smaller tank so if it dies off i can regrow it. Added some crypt Parva to one tank and crypt Lutea to both 20g. I have one clump of mixed crypts i need to uproot and spread out still, my hand was waterlogged by the time i got that far. Seprated some young leaves off my Java fern and moved them into my 5g betta tank. Trimmed and replanted stems in the 6g fantail tank. I was going to break it down but i may buy a small heater and make it a RCS tank instead. I have a cycled bubble filter i can move in there. I have a 3 foot tank i was breeding the bettas in which i may break down. I made the stand functional but never added finishing touches to it which i might do before setting it back up again. It has a lot of floor space and i am keen to get it running, scaped and planted now.

I don't have a good history with Shrimp. I bought 10 RCS a while back. 5 from each of my 2 LFS for diversity in bloodlines. I moved them in with my Kuhli loaches. For a while the tank had babies galore, then the adults all began to die. I think they were having trouble moulting. Maybe the babies were eaten by the Kuhli loaches because when the adults died the babies all slowly disappeared as well. I have 1 survivor that is an offspring of the original 10. I see it about once a week in the jungle of my Kuhli tank It's full sized now but i'd like to get it some company and see if i have more luck with this batch.

I have no willpower at all when i see used tanks. My sister does some volunteer work at a local charity store and they often have fish tanks come into the shop. Last week i found a 2 foot tall x 1.5 foot wide octagonal tank that came with 3 used but working filters and a decent sized heater (retract the statement above about not having a QT heater, looks like i can grab my Gourami tomorrow) and some tank ornaments i will get rid of. All for $8. This week i found two more 6ish gallon tanks, one came with three filters, more ornaments and assorted smooth stones. The score in this lot was a nice big air pump, which i was needing to buy. I paid $10 for this little hoard. I would not have bought the last lot if not for the air pump which retail locally for about $26. I didn't need the extra tanks but I find it hard to leave them when they are massive bargains.

Alyxx 10-17-2014 06:08 AM

I did a big water change and picked up some zebra danios. I spent quite a while looking around my lfs and decided on them because they seemed to be the tightest schoolers they had that were big enough not to be eventual angelfish food. They seem to be doing well so far. My next addition will be some panda cories, then some angels. I also found and added my fake plants and some clay pots and slate pieces. It's not an empty tank anymore! Soon I plan on getting some sculpey and making some taller pieces I can maybe grow some live plants from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personage 10-21-2014 09:36 PM

I start everyday searching for those insidious parasites Malaysian snails. I had some come in on a plant some time ago but have succeeded in nearly eradicating them. Get them young and small and remove them from the tank not just crushing them because they may have eggs in the crush that you will be setting free. It's a bit tedious and tiresome but I'm dedicated to ridding them from my tank.
After all that I check water quality and adjust Ph if necessary while defrosting some brine shrimp and blood worms for the exciting feeding frenzy.
After that I step into my miracle shrinking machine and reduce my body down to about 3" tall. Then I dive in and hang out with my fish for a couple of hours. Then I go riding on my Fuji absolute 27 speed bicycle. That of course is after I step back into my miracle shrinking machine and return to normal size.

Fresh2o 10-21-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Personage (Post 3071994)
I start everyday searching for those insidious parasites Malaysian snails. I had some come in on a plant some time ago but have succeeded in nearly eradicating them. Get them young and small and remove them from the tank not just crushing them because they may have eggs in the crush that you will be setting free. It's a bit tedious and tiresome but I'm dedicated to ridding them from my tank.
After all that I check water quality and adjust Ph if necessary while defrosting some brine shrimp and blood worms for the exciting feeding frenzy.
After that I step into my miracle shrinking machine and reduce my body down to about 3" tall. Then I dive in and hang out with my fish for a couple of hours. Then I go riding on my Fuji absolute 27 speed bicycle. That of course is after I step back into my miracle shrinking machine and return to normal size.

Like these? https://i.imgur.com/ZUmgJoZ.png This is in my shrimp tank and they do breed quickly. In my planted tank I have quite a few but not an outrageous number of them. I've managed to kill some inadvertently through hydrogen peroxide treatments (for algae control). Otherwise they do a decent job sifting through the surface of the substrate.
Other than that, debating on whether to do a water change and trying to figure out what to do the the plants in my holding tank:https://i.imgur.com/fUJ8RKb.png I might replant some. I usually throw them out into a small pond out back but with the cold weather kicking in...
Speaking of which, I need to check that pond this weekend. I probably have a ton of stuff growing in there. Might try to salvage some of the frost tender ones before it gets too cold.

Alan79 10-23-2014 09:39 AM

Bought new T5 tubes for a used tank i am setting up. This is my first tank with dual t5 lighting that should give me medium light. It's a nice shallowish tank too so i hope to get red from a couple of plants. I've done well with T8 lights with my other tanks. This upgrade will be a nice experiment.

Aside from that it's been a lazy week. Plant maintenance usually fills my busy weeks but i cleared a lot up last week so it's been nice to have fish more visible and no trimming to worry about.

Autumnsky 10-23-2014 02:43 PM

After the part one of my 2 week trip, all fish were doing very well and well taken care of.

Going to do pwc on the tanks before heading out in the opposite direction for part 2 of the trip. Got to show off the tanks to family. :D All fish and tanks were appropriately ooh'ed and ahh'ed over. lol

Alan79 10-24-2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3073304)
After the part one of my 2 week trip, all fish were doing very well and well taken care of.

Going to do pwc on the tanks before heading out in the opposite direction for part 2 of the trip. Got to show off the tanks to family. :D All fish and tanks were appropriately ooh'ed and ahh'ed over. lol

It's good when you get the appropriate reactions from the tanks. I had a mate stop in recently and tell me my tanks had a lot of weeds in them :mad:

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

shellyx 10-24-2014 11:42 AM

Pwc change on my elephant nose tank and giant African shrimp. Found baby rcs in with my elephant nose this is the first time I've had babies so I was pretty excited!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alan79 10-26-2014 01:45 AM

Weekend update. The warmer weather has arrived so I feel happier about working with my arms in water. But i woke up to a slow leak in my fantail tank which was an unhappy surprise in socks. 1x0.5 metre wet patch in the carpet and asize 9 sock that got an unexpected dip. The fish were due to be moved to a bigger tank that was ready enough to throw water, filter media and fish in. I think they knew i was procrastinating about getting them in the bigger tank and sabotaged the seals. WC was due in that tank today anyway so less of a big deal than it would have been if it happened tomorrow when i had to go to work at 6am. I had no plans to move them today.

Yesterday i trimmed down 4 buckets full of mixed clippings, saved a bunch of healthy tips for refreshing some tanks and replanted lots of new shoots in a humidi chamber to see if i can get emersed growth happening. The trimmed tips came in handy for my replant this morning.

I'll be doing some more tank shuffling soon. I'll move the plants from the leaking fantail tank along with the gravel into a betta tank that was thrown together with leftovers and no plan. Should be able to make a good scape this time round. Lots of Crypts. I'll add C. Parva, C. Lutea and C. Walkeri (the smallest crypts i can find) I may add sunset hygro and Java fern too. I'll see what space permits.

Last thing i have to do is complete my WC schedule. Got my comets and kuhli tank to do then it's fish watching all afternoon. It's been a productive weekend for my tanks so far.

guppygourami 10-26-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 3074039)
Pwc change on my elephant nose tank and giant African shrimp. Found baby rcs in with my elephant nose this is the first time I've had babies so I was pretty excited!

Congrats! Post pictures please:)

Namirah🐠Canadian, Eh?🐠

shellyx 10-26-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppygourami (Post 3075511)
Congrats! Post pictures please:)

Namirah🐠Canadian, Eh?🐠

Thanks! I'll get pictures as soon as they sit still :)

shellyx 10-27-2014 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got up this morning and checked my tanks found my 4inch vampire shrimp dead:( i had him for 15 months, totally gutted. Checked my paras and all are fine. Poor Mozzie Attachment 254112

Rodeo one 10-27-2014 07:37 PM

Sorry about your shrimp.

Squeaker 10-27-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 3074039)

Isn't it exciting to unexpectedly find fry?

I did a 50% water change and then put bad endler fry as he's been dubbed in solitary confinement. Seeing as he won't stop chasing my male molly.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp and the small fries...

Alan79 10-29-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 3076147)
Got up this morning and checked my tanks found my 4inch vampire shrimp dead:( i had him for 15 months, totally gutted. Checked my paras and all are fine. Poor Mozzie Attachment 254112

Sorry about the loss Shellyx. He was a nice looking shrimp.

shellyx 10-29-2014 06:37 AM

Thanks Alan and Rodeo one, can't believe i would get attached to a shrimp!

sinibotia 10-29-2014 09:06 AM

Played God in the shelldweller tank! While the fish were still asleep in their shells, I rearranged everything so I could fit in my sponge filter and also to try and give a chance to one poor little guy who got exiled to the top corner.

All of their hard work to create their territories and shell fortresses, and in one fell swoop I undid all of it and set them back to square one! And I'll do it again and again until they learn to play nice and everyone gets a space :thumb:

mikem691 10-30-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinibotia (Post 3077885)
Played God in the shelldweller tank! While the fish were still asleep in their shells, I rearranged everything so I could fit in my sponge filter and also to try and give a chance to one poor little guy who got exiled to the top corner.

All of their hard work to create their territories and shell fortresses, and in one fell swoop I undid all of it and set them back to square one! And I'll do it again and again until they learn to play nice and everyone gets a space :thumb:

I miss my multis. It was amazing how they would move everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ayi 10-31-2014 05:26 PM

Decided to do a water change a found a terrible surprise. There were two roaches in the filter compartment. Worst day of my life.

shellyx 10-31-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayi (Post 3079502)
Decided to do a water change a found a terrible surprise. There were two roaches in the filter compartment. Worst day of my life.

That's awful :eek: nasty things! I would've had to leave my hubby to deal with that! Poor you.

Alan79 11-02-2014 04:00 AM

I mixed things up a bit this week with my WC schedule. Usually i do WC on 6 tanks on sunday and it feels like a real time killer at the tail end of my weekend when i'm dreading the thought of work on monday. So it's a three day spread now. 35g sunday, 2x20g monday or tuesday and my smaller tanks thursday. Spreading the work over a few days has made it more relaxed but it does feel like i am always changing water. I'm not sure what method i prefer. I may alter it again to doing it on friday before i relax for the weekend. Clean tanks on friday makes for better weekend viewing. I feel guilty watching a tank with waste on the bottom although the fish don't seem bothered much when the plants keep the nitrates down.

So yesterday i fed peas to most of my fish. Today i spoiled them by giving them a variety of their treats. Bloodwroms for my Goldfish, brine shrimp + bloodworms for my community, Kuhlis & Betta. Everyone seemed happy. I got a rare sighting of my two shy BN plecos at once and both look healthy.

I had to do a tank shuffle last week and it prompted a rescape on my then snail filled 5g betta tank. Added black gravel, some black stones with marble tracings 3 crypt varieties, hairgrass and some stems. It looked close to what i imagined and i was happy but she was not. The light i am using is fairly bright for a small tank and she could only hide in shade under the lamp base. She had about a 5x5cm area of good shadow on the floor of the tank. I didn't want to build a cave of rocks because i like the marbled stone in there already.

I looked through my driftwood collection and found the perfect bit for the job. It hides the bubble filter perfectly and looks great in the tank. It has an elevated hollow that will soon have an anubias trimming living in it. She swam through the DW tunnel a few times within a minute of me placing it so she seemed impressed. Hopefully the Crypts in there grow in reasonably quickly so she has shadowy areas through half the tank. The Anubias will also add to her shade when i attach it. I hope to see it grow out of the water along the protruding DW eventually.

Ayi 11-02-2014 11:16 AM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Yesterday I got a nutrafin co2 latter. Hopefully it breaks in quick.

fish wrangler 11-02-2014 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a piece of DW and moved the wisteria around it. Fist planted tank, and I love it!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kittykat364 11-02-2014 02:59 PM

In the last few weeks since I posted, my fish had ich (and three died), dropsy, and mysterious deaths. A bunch of fry died. We found blackworms in the substrate and realized they were the cause for the dirt going above the gravel, not the MTS which we 'rented' three clown loaches to help control. The driftwood also started rotting (it was stinky and mushy does anyone know why that would happen?). We decided to redo the tank.

We took everything out and threw out the substrate (which was stinky and gross not to mention the disgusting worms) and replaced it with natural gravel. We took new terra cotta pots and put dirt and capped it with gravel to put the plants back in the tank. Basically we went (mostly) fake.

Then a fish got really bloated, I think it had a swim bladder infection because it floated at the top all day and had a hard time getting to the bottom. Another fish died too of some tail disease I think it ended up looking like finrot. His tail disappeared in parts, but before that his tail got bumpy and puffy. We had some fry born but I couldn't catch them and now I don't see them anymore.

How do you guys deal with extreme losses and mess-ups? I'm honestly thinking of getting rid of the tank because it's become a lot of work and stress.

Autumnsky 11-02-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 3081036)
In the last few weeks since I posted, my fish had ich (and three died), dropsy, and mysterious deaths. A bunch of fry died. We found blackworms in the substrate and realized they were the cause for the dirt going above the gravel, not the MTS which we 'rented' three clown loaches to help control. The driftwood also started rotting (it was stinky and mushy does anyone know why that would happen?). We decided to redo the tank.

We took everything out and threw out the substrate (which was stinky and gross not to mention the disgusting worms) and replaced it with natural gravel. We took new terra cotta pots and put dirt and capped it with gravel to put the plants back in the tank. Basically we went (mostly) fake.

Then a fish got really bloated, I think it had a swim bladder infection because it floated at the top all day and had a hard time getting to the bottom. Another fish died too of some tail disease I think it ended up looking like finrot. His tail disappeared in parts, but before that his tail got bumpy and puffy. We had some fry born but I couldn't catch them and now I don't see them anymore.

How do you guys deal with extreme losses and mess-ups? I'm honestly thinking of getting rid of the tank because it's become a lot of work and stress.

Sorry to hear of so many problems for you Kitty.

I think you just have to consider all the things you are doing with the tank. How much joy it has or could bring to your life and how much time or stress it is using/creating. After you get the hang of it and get the right stride going for the tank. They can pretty much run themselves, lol (with you doing the feeding and water changes, etc.) and be a huge joy.

They are a fair amount of time and effort. Research and learning. I think worth it. Though I am still trying to downsize my projects/tanks to simplify. Then I started the SW :facepalm: Maybe I still need to learn about what the word simplify means!!!

For you, consider what had worked and what hasn't and what you should change so that it would work better. Maybe take things more slowly, build the tank around the fish you enjoy most.

My friends Dumbo Betta passed away a few days ago, I had given it to her about a year ago. It was already full grown, so I am not too sure what happened to it but that was kinda sad. She now still has the 2 dwarf frogs and a couple snails.

My daughter who was bringing over my SW and RODI water could't make it because one of her foster kittens got sick.

I am starting pwc on the smaller tanks today, shrimp tanks first then the others. Moving my fish from the QT over to the 72G. 2 Cories, 2 Albino BN Plecos and a lone Diamond Tetra. (its tank mates died in the pH crash and I haven't found them again yet)

I am hoping to be able to catch the 2 Albino BN Plecos in my 12G Edge tank at some point and get them moved to the 72G as well, then the shrimp might end up with a higher population, with them not slurping up misc. babies. Boy do I regret putting those little babies in the shrimp tanks.

The little shrimp babies have a few more babies to keep them company in the 6.6G Edge. I am hoping to get that full tank clean out done soon but the newer babies are still too darn small to sort through everything/worth the extra time it would take. I was given a nice bag of fish supplies from my mom who didn't keep her tank. A new bottle of Prime, Flourish Filter pad/bags, some Shrimp food, Hikari foods, and filter, heaters. Nice bonus.

That brings me to the topic of money saved from the above to the probable expenditure for a new light for the 72G. We will likely be going for a nice computer controlled one, LED. My present bulb, and last planted tank one is old and causing a bit too much algae, I had thought there was one more but after plugging it in, it is dead. SO... new light fixture. The money it would take to get a new bulb will go towards a new light fixture YAY!!! Only been waiting 2 years!

Going to put a dozen Neon Tetras into the QT tank when my daughter buys them, they will be for her tank.

Whewww! I think that's it! Now to get busy. ;)

Alan79 11-03-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittykat364 (Post 3081036)

I'm also sorry to hear your tank has had bad issues. It can be very discouraging but i think it is worth sticking with things. If the tank is empty of fish at the moment maybe it is time to give it a good dose of bleach to disinfect the tank before starting up again. If you feel very discouraged right now maybe give it a month, create a new plan of attack and take time to research a nice community that matches your water conditions & tank before starting out again. I think i took a month or two away from fishkeeping atfer i had a complete die off in my original tank.

The driftwood may have been a softwood which rots quickly. I read somewhere that you should try and scratch the wood with a fingernail, if it is harder than your nail it won't rot in the tank in a hurry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish wrangler (Post 3080897)
Added a piece of DW and moved the wisteria around it. Fist planted tank, and I love it!!

Looks good fish wrangler. I never developed MTS until i started with live plants. I had 1 20g for about 7 years, then i saw a picture of a nice planted tank, about a year later and i have 6 planted tanks running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3081239)
Sorry to hear of so many problems for you Kitty.

I think you just have to consider all the things you are doing with the tank. How much joy it has or could bring to your life and how much time or stress it is using/creating. After you get the hang of it and get the right stride going for the tank. They can pretty much run themselves, lol (with you doing the feeding and water changes, etc.) and be a huge joy.

They are a fair amount of time and effort. Research and learning. I think worth it. Though I am still trying to downsize my projects/tanks to simplify. Then I started the SW :facepalm: Maybe I still need to learn about what the word simplify means!!!

For you, consider what had worked and what hasn't and what you should change so that it would work better. Maybe take things more slowly, build the tank around the fish you enjoy most.

My friends Dumbo Betta passed away a few days ago, I had given it to her about a year ago. It was already full grown, so I am not too sure what happened to it but that was kinda sad. She now still has the 2 dwarf frogs and a couple snails.

My daughter who was bringing over my SW and RODI water could't make it because one of her foster kittens got sick.

I am starting pwc on the smaller tanks today, shrimp tanks first then the others. Moving my fish from the QT over to the 72G. 2 Cories, 2 Albino BN Plecos and a lone Diamond Tetra. (its tank mates died in the pH crash and I haven't found them again yet)

I am hoping to be able to catch the 2 Albino BN Plecos in my 12G Edge tank at some point and get them moved to the 72G as well, then the shrimp might end up with a higher population, with them not slurping up misc. babies. Boy do I regret putting those little babies in the shrimp tanks.

The little shrimp babies have a few more babies to keep them company in the 6.6G Edge. I am hoping to get that full tank clean out done soon but the newer babies are still too darn small to sort through everything/worth the extra time it would take. I was given a nice bag of fish supplies from my mom who didn't keep her tank. A new bottle of Prime, Flourish Filter pad/bags, some Shrimp food, Hikari foods, and filter, heaters. Nice bonus.

That brings me to the topic of money saved from the above to the probable expenditure for a new light for the 72G. We will likely be going for a nice computer controlled one, LED. My present bulb, and last planted tank one is old and causing a bit too much algae, I had thought there was one more but after plugging it in, it is dead. SO... new light fixture. The money it would take to get a new bulb will go towards a new light fixture YAY!!! Only been waiting 2 years!

Going to put a dozen Neon Tetras into the QT tank when my daughter buys them, they will be for her tank.

Whewww! I think that's it! Now to get busy. ;)

Lighting upgrades are always exciting. I have nothing better than dual T5's on one tank at this stage. I got the tank they are running on established about 2 weeks ago and the plants are enjoying the light. .

I'm sorry your old betta died at your friends. I get the feeling that they sometimes just give up when they become sick.

Anyway, just completed a WC on my 35g. Will do a change on my snail growout tank soon too. I've earned $65 from my LFS selling them. It's handy having the tank full of snails nearby as a cleanup crew if Algea rears it's head and they're a nice source of freebies from the LFS.

Got some news from my dad this week. I gave him a 20g a few months back and he was quick to get a stand built and fish in there. He tells me i am now an uncle to his scaled childrens first fry. I am not even sure what he has in there apart from platies and a BN pleco. I'm glad to hear his scaled family are thriving though. I am tempted to send him a pack of plant trimmings. I know he has Anubias in there but not sure if he's added anything else. He retired about 2 years ago so i'm sure he will enjoy tinkering with them.

Autumnsky 11-03-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 3081754)
Lighting upgrades are always exciting. I have nothing better than dual T5's on one tank at this stage. I got the tank they are running on established about 2 weeks ago and the plants are enjoying the light. .

I'm sorry your old betta died at your friends. I get the feeling that they sometimes just give up when they become sick.

Anyway, just completed a WC on my 35g. Will do a change on my snail growout tank soon too. I've earned $65 from my LFS selling them. It's handy having the tank full of snails nearby as a cleanup crew if Algea rears it's head and they're a nice source of freebies from the LFS.

Got some news from my dad this week. I gave him a 20g a few months back and he was quick to get a stand built and fish in there. He tells me i am now an uncle to his scaled childrens first fry. I am not even sure what he has in there apart from platies and a BN pleco. I'm glad to hear his scaled family are thriving though. I am tempted to send him a pack of plant trimmings. I know he has Anubias in there but not sure if he's added anything else. He retired about 2 years ago so i'm sure he will enjoy tinkering with them.

Thats pretty amazing to sell so many snails. Though there can be ALOT of them lol! After my pH crash all the adult Mystery snails (actually ALL the varieties, MTS, RH and a couple nice pond) died. I got a bunch of Blue MS from a member here and they are doing great, happy to report that I was able to share 2 with a new invert convert...boyfriend of my daughter's roommate!

Daughter brought 10 tetras and an adopted full grown Cory over to QT. And the SW and RODI water, yay pwc for SW today.

So caught all the fish and took out everything from the overflow 16G QT tank and then decided I might as well clean it out and rinse the substrate with treated clean water, so did complete clean out on the tank, did the filters a couple weeks ago so will wait a bit for that.

Moving the fish from the 16G into the the 72G, taking some time to acclimate as the pH is a bit different.

Found a good home for one of my Angels; going to new home in 2 weeks.

Think I decided to make the 16G a "plant tank" and get some higher lighting for it and just have a few snails in it. Found a seller of dwarf Cory Hastatus so considering them, they also have Chocolate /Cherry shrimp, and I will maybe pick up a handful of those as well.

I am leaning towards shrimp as my favorites now and someone I know of is selling Orange Eye Blue Tiger shrimp and I am looking at those for my 6.6 gallon tank.

There is a local hobbyist who is offering a bunch of some of the coolest fish I have seen in awhile, Killifish Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Innidere' and wow, am I in love. :smitten: google only shows one pic of it which is a steely midnight blue with red spots on the body and golden yellow edges on the rear fins, when I googled again that pic it didn't come up but it is amazing.

Yesterday was a good hunting day "fishing" for leads!!! :lol:

Always good when I feel inspired!!!

Listed a tank and stand for sale locally. $ for the new stuff fingers crossed and Birthday, and Christmas list soon.

Ayi 11-03-2014 10:33 PM

I'm thinking about tearing down my 20 planted and changing everything or just redoing it.:( I'm tired of needing to replant every few days.

Autumnsky 11-03-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayi (Post 3082468)
I'm thinking about tearing down my 20 planted and changing everything or just redoing it.:( I'm tired of needing to replant every few days.

Do it, you will be much happier if you can find plants which stay the size you want. There are many selections which might not be commonly available at stores, though hobbyists have them. A really neat little plant I found a couple months ago was Bolbitus 'Baby Leaf' and I was told it is found for sale around autumn time. Very nice plant. Happy planning. :)

Fresh2o 11-04-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayi (Post 3082468)

Who's tearing up the place?
-------------------
I made up a new bottle of PPS Pro Macro mix. Such fun. Watched the fish for about five minutes (while feeding and dosing the plants). 14 hour work day did not help.

emeraldking 11-04-2014 09:30 AM

Well, this morning I've been scraping off some algae from three tanks which are close to my window. Been looking at it for about two weeks and in some way I just didn't feel like cleaning them. But this evening I'll have some people over to buy some fish. And yes, how that can be a trigger to start cleaning...

Ayi 11-04-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3082678)
Who's tearing up the place?
-------------------
I made up a new bottle of PPS Pro Macro mix. Such fun. Watched the fish for about five minutes (while feeding and dosing the plants). 14 hour work day did not help.

A little firemouth. He's about 2.5 inches.

Alan79 11-07-2014 06:26 AM

I was given some free plants in bags today at my LFS who are great people. Bought some flake feed and almost bought a Betta. The plants are Broadleaf Lobelia (Lobelia Cardinalis) and Crypt Balansae. I already have some healthy Balansae but the Lobelia will be good if it survives. It was almost dead in the bag but i've found a home for it in my Betta tank already. I didn't have room for anything more until i was getting them free. The Balansae is just showing some new leaves in the bag so it's going to survive. I have no idea where i will find space to plant it.

Ayi 11-08-2014 12:06 PM

I emptied my 20, put the substrate back in and put in some new dw. Not sure if I want to tie some moss/anubias to it. I'll post pics once it clears up a bit.

I also threw away a huge clump of plants that were rotting in a bucket.

Autumnsky 11-08-2014 08:05 PM

Late on pwc to sw tank, but doing that today! Been really busy.

Krissycakes 11-08-2014 08:11 PM

Fed the Bettas blood worms, Baby Bettas got brine shrimp, puffer had snails, all others got flake. Still got my 6.6g bookshelf, 29g, and 10g just sitting around. Not sure if I want to increase electric bills lol.

Alan79 11-08-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayi (Post 3086344)
I emptied my 20, put the substrate back in and put in some new dw. Not sure if I want to tie some moss/anubias to it. I'll post pics once it clears up a bit.

I also threw away a huge clump of plants that were rotting in a bucket.

Thats something i need to do. My ongoing fights with Algae mean i won't try to sell many clippings but i hate to throw them away :facepalm:

I found a decent solution though. I set up a humidi chamber that i plant some trimmings in. It's a simple cracked tank with planter trays filled with potting mix and a sheet of clear plastic as a lid to trap humidity. I upgraded this from 1.25L bottles on a windowsill and it seems to be growing plants pretty well.

I hope you enjoy the rescape on the 20.

I just finished feeding all my tanks. Since i rescaped my Betta tank i enjoy feeding her the most. She used to just surface to attack the food i fed her, but when i feed bloodworms now she attacks them from some hides she has in the tank. It's fun to watch. Shes a bit of a pro at spotting the bloodworm that falls to the floor as well. when i move away from the tank she threads her way through the plants with one eye directly on the tank floor. She really altered the way she behaves when she was put into a tank with better hidey holes.

Autumnsky 11-09-2014 05:01 PM

Moved furniture around and changed the stand for the 5G Chi Nano SW and the 12G Edge tank.

Did a 2.5G pwc on the 12G since I had to lift it up to move it, 2 birds with one stone thing.

Pwc on the 5G Chi SW too.

Added my 2.5G Planted vase to the new table with the 12G Edge. Moved the Chi to its own little stand. It looks good for a interim solution. My family member needed the 6' dresser chest :/ I will be moving some of the stuff over to the opposite wall, the "Fish Wall"... when I get more time. Still wondering in the back of my mind about a 72G twin bowfront SW to go with the FW. I think I must be crazy to even think that.

Yesterday I found one of my Koi Angels dead on the bottom of the tank. Parameters are good, no bites or injuries apparent, clear eyes, perfect fins, nice gills, so I think that possibly got startled and knocked out. Don't know if something else is going on so in the morning a big pwc just to make sure we are on good footing and will be watching for anything else.

Kittykat364 11-11-2014 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your angel, Autumn.

Thanks for all the advice. I think that a break and change were necessary, I would have been really bummed if I had to give up this awesome hobby.

We haven't had any unexplained deaths in the tank since we redid it. We have two guppy fry living in a net in there now they're growing nicely, I think one is getting color.

My betta died about a week ago, I think it was fish TB. I'm definitely going to sterilize a lot because I don't want that to spread. He was hanging on for a long time but he finally lost his fight. He was so strong, every day when I went to feed him he would flare up at me even though he must have been in so much pain because he was lying at the bottom of the tank.

Now I have an empty 2.5 gallon bowfront, what do you think I should put in it? I've got a pretty extensive LFS and there are others too so I can get anything. I saw some pretty high grade RCS when I went yesterday.

Dad redid the lights on the corner tank, it's very bright now. It's so much better you could barely see the bottom before I didn't even know what color the fry developed lol.

Went to the LFS on the way back from sis's doctor appt (yay for bronchitis) and saw a Shellie. The guy didn't even know they still had shellies!! I'm hoping that I might be able to finagle something and get some when they next get stocked.

enrgizerbunny 11-13-2014 08:42 PM

50% change on the 55. Goldies are hibernating cleaned the filter and removed a ton of crap. Literally. Lots of decaying plant matter too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 11-13-2014 09:47 PM

Found that the QT has 2 missing fish now, and one with a spot in front of its dorsal fin which I fear is Columnaris.

I have added some calcium, natural (mineral) salt and baking soda and potassium to the tank in part to raise the KH, and to increase the tanks mineral balance, electrolytes available for the fish. I was reading an interesting bunch or articles discussing treatment for Columnaris. And maintaining a stable level of KH. I have a horrible problem with my KH. They also discuss how salt can help overcome the disease, also of course gram negative meds.

The tank was very clean as I had just rinsed the substrate with treated water before the new fish came, and I never had any illness in that tank. So very bummed. Will be trying to get a handle on it. They are some Black and regular Neons, and one really awesome Cory. The Cory is the one I will be watching as I know they don't tolerate high levels of salt. Though I have had fairly high levels in a previous treatment (salt and temp treatment for ich) and the Cories were fine as it was a gradual increase.

Very bummed out about it though. I have 3 little filters on that tank to stay cycled for new tanks, Bettas or what have you. Now they are all messed up. One was brand new and one was going to go into a new tank project I was working on. :facepalm: Wish I woulda moved that one filter before I added new fish...

At least they got a QT tank instead of killing off all my daughter's beautiful fish in her tank. :thumb: Trying to focus on the positive. Off to search for some meds.

enrgizerbunny 11-14-2014 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slowly thinning out th this big bundle of hydrilla and water weed and planting the surviving/strongest ones.

Alan79 11-15-2014 02:00 AM

Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.

J.Mcpeak 11-15-2014 05:37 PM

Hand feeding puffer fish black mosquito larvae. (Diddy P.)

Although it wasn't today it does happen most days.

See here for pictures,
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html
Last page at this time.

Alternatively follow the link to my flickr fishes album.

I think it's the coolest thing.
Diddy P is a Tetraodon Biocellatus (Figure 8 puffer)
He is now 13 months in my care.

J.Mcpeak 11-15-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan79 (Post 3091985)
Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.

Mostly :),
Was sonic one of your inherited fish, I remember Brutus, it's always a shame when fish die, I mean fish you've looked after! I vaguely remember you taking on some fish from a friend?

Great to hear the developments down under, last time we spoke this was pretty much a dream lying around in pieces. :thumb:

I'm glad it's all working out, apart from the loss, tip top old chum.

Autumnsky 11-16-2014 12:59 AM

The round spot on the back of the Tetras dorsal fin is gone. All I did was add the Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium and salt. Hmmmm. I am sure it was a bad spot. The fish seem more lively and I didn't do a pwc either (because I just added all the stuff).

Alan79 11-16-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak (Post 3092249)
Mostly :),
Was sonic one of your inherited fish, I remember Brutus, it's always a shame when fish die, I mean fish you've looked after! I vaguely remember you taking on some fish from a friend?

Yeah Sonic was originally borrowed for a breeding project after initially looking after him. Then his owner moved away and left me with Sonic and 2 fantails. No tanks, just fish. Lucky i keep spares :lol:. Brutus is doing well, his pond is still a work in progress after some debates over what portion of a water bill i should pay. I don't want that heat right now with my real estate. I will eventually switch over to a very 4x2x2 tank indoors and the pond so the real estate can't complain. Soon i'll assemble it. I have the materials to build it and every plan made

Quote:

Great to hear the developments down under, last time we spoke this was pretty much a dream lying around in pieces. :thumb:

I'm glad it's all working out, apart from the loss, tip top old chum.
I think Sonic was pretty old for the few months i had him so it wasn't unexpected.

I'm a procrastinator of epic proportions with my aquarium builds. Maybe it's the fact i always have 20 projects progressing all demanding of limited funds. This particular project is close to completion though.

Today i got wet hands in my first planted tank (community 20g)
I went through with part two of a big teardown and refreshing of my plants. My plants are all healthy but everything gets overgrown pretty quick. The stems i have growing get long enough to span the tank in about 1 week. I tore them all out today to take fresh algae free tips for replanting. I pulled about 70 tips of sunset hygro and ludwigia repens apart from the 12 or so of each i replanted 2 months ago. Continual trimming of tips seems to keep these hydras happy. Part 1 of the big trim in this tank was on dwarf chain sword which grows 2-3 runners from every mature established plant per week in my tanks. It was everywhere so i pulled that out and replanted 5 young plants in their original zone. I hadn't noticed crypt runners in the stem jungle but i have about 8-9 runners in various areas of the tank. So much for low maintenance. The crypts are growing like weeds now too. I took two runners out and replanted them with my Comets. They probably have a short time left in that tank but so far so good, 5 hours and no tear outs.

J.Mcpeak 11-16-2014 08:59 AM

Secretly smiling because my memory is not so bad after all!

Limited funds is always a problem! Even if you chuck everything at it, it always needs more!
You have enough tanks that this may be of use to you;
In my house the biggest saving I made in the last 12 months was de chlorinator. Ok I had the background equipment in place so it wasn't too costly to transition but I'm saving the food bill and replacement water filter costs every year! Find a cheaper way to dechlorinate and that will free up significant funds for you.
(If you have ammonia free water, a 25litre container and an air stone should be sufficient but heavy metals may still pose a problem, some type of HMA resin through a filter should work but I'm unsure of the cycle times, it would vary by volume, perhaps a small tank (or one with an appropriate volume) using a canister with resin in a bag, that will be cheaper per year)
If you don't fancy that set up or an RO, maybe you have soft water or your tap water is fine, you can get a pond style pre filter set that fits to a tap but you need to be using volumes of water to make it worthwhile, anything over 500 litres a week I'd say do it. It looks similar to an RO device, prefilter, CCB, resin bed, just with hosetails and no RO membrane.
(You could hide that from the landlord and plug it on as needed:whistle:)

Even if you need to pay out now, in six months you'll be saving.

Good growth is a good sign! It's good you make something from your effort too! That helps out a bit.
I'm still waiting for my next money project! I'm trying to settle my new Cory in, if they breed as often as my paleatus I will be very happy for a few years.
They eat, they seem happy but still a bit flighty, hopefully they will settle a bit soon, the puffer on the other hand is clearly settled!

enrgizerbunny 11-17-2014 02:26 PM

Clipped some zucchini to the back wall. My pleco has been rasping at it ever since. The gourami and the rainbow shark have been getting in on it too. I think I'll clip a piece of broccoli on the side so there's less competition+ crowding.

Autumnsky 11-17-2014 03:50 PM

Last night checked water parameters in all the tanks.

My dosing of magnesium, calcium and potassium seem to be working...my KH is looking better and the pH is a little low in the 72G (tank I have had so many problems with) but climbing with treatment and staying stable right now. Whew! Pain in the rumpus.

Looking at a beautiful 12G rimless tank with Starphire glass for sale with stand for $80 NEW! I can't seem to find out who the manufacturer is, it came from the MACNA SW conference a couple months ago. Best pricing I can find would still make that a decent price, like getting the stand for free. I think the guy used the lights that were on it because it only comes tank and stand for that price, nothing else...:rolleyes: sooooo...

Pwc on the 6.6G and fill evap last night for SW 15G. Doing a couple more pwc today, on the 72G and 15G sw. Considering a FX-5 whole filter clean out on the 72G tomorrow. (I hate doing that, always worrying I will forget something when I put it back together and have to clean up a flood!)

jetajockey 11-17-2014 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to put my water trash can inside because of the weather.

emerald76 11-17-2014 05:13 PM

Aquascape redo

fish wrangler 11-17-2014 05:20 PM

Lol nice picture jeta

Autumnsky 11-17-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetajockey (Post 3093793)
Had to put my water trash can inside because of the weather.

Interesting about the auto water change drip thing, I am in the planning stages for one myself!!!

Chilla thrilla! Its cold!

Fresh2o 11-17-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3093843)
Interesting about the auto water change drip thing, I am in the planning stages for one myself!!!

Chilla thrilla! Its cold!

I keep telling Trenna to invent and patent one of these and put those water changing discussions to bed.
Got some plants today (Blyxa and UG). https://i.imgur.com/lb5GbgA.png
They were supposed to show up Friday but went AWOL for about 4 days somewhere between AZ and VA. Thank you, USPS. It's been in the 30s (F) today so I'm going to let these gradually warm up and sit in my room temp holding tank. Plants look pretty good considering the weather. The UG has a little algae and/or dark green mush and smells like bagoˇng. For the non-Pinoy that's shrimp paste.
Here's my tank. I think I'll make some room in the back left corner for the Blyxa and the open space on the front right is for the UG. https://i.imgur.com/hHAnO2r.png

enrgizerbunny 11-17-2014 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been watching my pleco pig out on the zucchini in the left clip all day. Nobody has really touched the romaine, but I'm sure the shark will get to it tomorrow. It's been a long semester for these guys with some infrequent water changes and missed feedings, so it's nice to see them lively again.

Autumnsky 11-18-2014 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3094044)
I keep telling Trenna to invent and patent one of these and put those water changing discussions to bed.

That would be so awesome! I am not completely dumb but not that smart about all the connections and how to think it all through. I had many problems years back when I made up my trash can filter for my koi pond.
And a few o:blink: duh moments. I was proud of it in the end but there was a big learning curve...!

So unless anyone knows of a good plan some where here you can PM me if you do!!!

Still shopping for and planning my new sw tank too! Back burner for the water auto changer though.

Autumnsky 11-19-2014 12:45 PM

Angel fish paired, laid eggs AND overnight didn't eat them (yet). Very surprised!

emerald76 11-20-2014 07:58 AM

Rescape
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...672eae58f2.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...e867ecf567.jpg

Autumnsky 11-20-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald76 (Post 3095872)

Looks nice.

Well I found the Angel Eggs were there again today, but there were a few more white ones maybe 6 total. Then when I turned the light on, saw that the inflow was causing much agitation in the water, and the sticky part on the eggs must have been wearing off as the eggs were slipping off the leaf at an alarming rate. As fast as the parents could scoop them the would slip off a couple more.

So I filled up my empty, clean 35G which was up for sale, with maybe 2/5 new water and 3/5 old water and started searching through my fish supply shelf and ran across a new hob filter I bought and forgot to return when I didn't need it, but then I found a sponge filter which I bought at the Spring fish auction and put into the back once the other pair didn't breed and then lost the mate.

So added a new sponge filter to the tank the giant Anubias chunk that the eggs were on a hand full of misc. plants from the Spare tank, then had to put rocks on the sponge filter to hold it at the bottom of the tank, a heater, caught the momma and got her in first, then the dad. They haven't noticed the eggs yet even though I held the plant at an angle in the tank with the leaf with the eggs right in front of her. Added a piece of slate in front of the heater.

I noticed 2 eggs stuck to the front of the aquarium glass after cleaning and refilling from the "pwc" in the 72G. The Rainbow fish was hanging out in the back to catch any of the eggs the parents had missed scooping up. So he had a big snack this morning.

The 72G seems so empty now! And so much more peaceful! All the rest of the fish are milling around exploring and eating the dropped eggs :( .

So after all that, there was only a cluster of about 20 eggs still stuck to the leaf in the new breeder tank.

Last night did pwc on 6.6G and changed the prefilter sponge on the 12G.

Have to get the SW filter cleaned out next.

enrgizerbunny 11-21-2014 01:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched my pleco pig out on romaine.

Jonnypro 11-22-2014 06:13 AM

Relocated my reef keeper

https://i.imgur.com/f3bkHjM.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autumnsky 11-23-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnypro (Post 3097121)
Relocated my reef keeper

https://i.imgur.com/f3bkHjM.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks neat!

emerald76 11-23-2014 11:42 AM

Water change and added rocks to the bottom
Really brightens it up

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ 💫⚡️

Autumnsky 11-23-2014 04:04 PM

Picking up new to me Current Planted plus LED light for the 72G. :dance:

It is a bit too small for that tank, 4 foot tank with the light which is 36-48", but will be using it with the single fluorescent which is stock fixture and plant bulb.

It is the light which has a myriad of settings in a remote. Wow am I excited to see if the plants perk up!

It is RBG leds which I am excited to experiment with to some degree. Also still curious if the adjustable settings can accommodate low light corals in SW. Anyway it is half the price of new and has a brand new remote from a local hobbyist friend.

So today will be playing with my new light :D

jetajockey 11-23-2014 09:55 PM

Im getting a current sat plus in the mail tomorrow.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Brookster123 11-23-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetajockey (Post 3098325)
Im getting a current sat plus in the mail tomorrow.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Enjoy:) they say the sat plus pro is due out real soon! Can't wait!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 11-23-2014 10:25 PM

Maybe you can show me how to use it, lol!

Ayi 11-25-2014 06:28 PM

Got a new, smaller net. I came with a tank clip to hold it in the side. Pretty convenient.

Autumnsky 11-25-2014 11:58 PM

Got the new light and wow! It has lots of options, I just need to learn how to program it for custom programs.

Today I did a 15G pwc for the 72G tank. In doing that I tried to catch the big fish, the Purple Spotted Gudgeon for my daughter to take home. But no! Again, couldn't catch him.

Daughter brought over some Tetras to go into the QT tank.

Replanted about 20 plants that had come out because the Angels are plucking them out and eating them! Trimmed old leaves. New leaves look better now. Need to put in some more root caps. Reattached the various Anubias to the DW.

Decided to get another 10+ Cardinals, maybe 20, I have been wanting a big bunch of them in the tank and seem to always have a reason why I can't. I have decided to make the tank what I want, so some Angels may be moved or switched. One of my pre new year resolutions is to make my tanks into what I want and create new visions. There will be a couple surprises coming up.

fish wrangler 11-26-2014 01:53 PM

Removed the 2 pond snails I had. They where eating algae way to fast, and I was growing it for when I get otos, plus I found a baby snail and dont want any more!

enrgizerbunny 11-26-2014 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed deicer attachment to the pump for the goldfish in the sleet/snow mix.

Jessiicaxrosex3 11-28-2014 05:32 PM

A nice 75% wc on the 55 and 125 🐟

Autumnsky 11-29-2014 02:59 AM

Oh my goodness gracious!!!!!!! I thought that my Angelfish eggs were pretty much long gone. They must have found them. So I now have a handful of fry, still wigglers actually, I thought it was algae on the leaf, but the parents kept going over there and doing cleaning, I just figured they were getting ready to spawn again. They are incredibly tiny, I am freaking out just a little. I was just about to kick them out and get some SW sand for the tank.

My Saddleback Clownfish pair I think spawned in their cave, I posted a thread in SW about it. :facepalm: Ahhhhhhh....not really ready for this because work is a madhouse right now!!! Crazy fish. This is the stuff I used to just dream about and it is actually happening. Now if I can just get enough knowledge to do them justice! :blink: Too much!! lol I have got to get this figured out.

Here's me :eek::lol::eek::cool::eek::eek::dance::facepalm::h uh::facepalm::whistle::oops::nono: :eek::popcorn:

After a little more reading, I am trying my hand at growing some kind of tiny little bugs...insoforia or Paramecium, also tomorrow will be checking if there is any water left in my old grow out bucket and any green water left or any little bugs in there. It has been so cold, I doubt it.

Autumnsky 12-02-2014 04:59 AM

:eek: Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I saw a wiggler swimming tonight:dance::blink:

Well I am still trying to grow some bugs. I found one of the buckets in the yard with lots of leaves in it and some water. I need to get a new turkey baster because mine has a crack and won't keep suction.

Came home to find the wiggler angelfish tank with no air in it. The sponge filter wasn't working, fixed it then found it off again, then figured out that the back tray on the tank was pinching off the air causing it to lose enough power to work. I think that is fixed, did 15G pwc yesterday on the angelfish tank, almost out of Prime :/.

Today I am adding the nylon stocking over the HOB filter intake just in case there end up being new babies one of these mornings in the SW Clownfish tank. They are sensitive to light cycles, hopefully my weird schedule won't bother them. I hear they, one night get silver eyes and then start moving around the tank in a larval form.

Also will be getting the new 12G rimless tank for my SW reef garden, which may be a baby holder or a parents holder. Trying to get that figured out too!!!

Kittykat364 12-02-2014 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wrote this yesterday but didn't post till now

Just picked up some pennywort at Fauna (LFS in NYC) and stared at their 300 gal tank for so long my neck hurt. Found a newborn platy fry and a few-day-old guppy fry in the tank right before I had to go to the doctor and caught them anyways :oops: Hopefully there are more that didn't get eaten...yet. Put a powerhead on the sponge filter and got the air pump out of the hallway, it was getting kinda annoying. The LFS that we brought our MM platies into in exchange for credit for a female betta should get some in this Tuesday or Thursday, need to get a companion for Fred. Starting to work on my gold award on water quality and fish treatment!!! Also, if someone could ID this fish I would be so greatful, I love how it looks and its size. It's the cichlid-looking one in the upper right.
Attachment 257194

emerald76 12-02-2014 03:22 PM

Perhaps scarlet badis

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Kittykat364 12-02-2014 03:23 PM

Just got home from PetCo and got some materials for my gold award, trying to brainstorm and see if I should just work on water quality in general or also do fish in captivity....not sure yet.

Mom saw a Gold Inca Snail that she wanted but I'm worried it will eat the plants, any thoughts?

emerald76 12-02-2014 03:25 PM

What's this god award thing? Is there a website or something? Sounds neat!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Kittykat364 12-02-2014 03:26 PM

It's a Girl Scout award, it's for HS students. It's basically a community service project that you create. And yeah I think that fish is a scarlet badis. Thanks.

emerald76 12-02-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald76 (Post 3104136)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Oh wow, sounds cool! Also, my spelling in the last post was awful, sorry, :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Kittykat364 12-02-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald76 (Post 3104138)
Oh wow, sounds cool! Also, my spelling in the last post was awful, sorry, :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Haha no worries and yeah it's cool, hopefully I can get the message out that it's not ok to keep a betta in a small unfiltered unheated bowl lol

J.Mcpeak 12-02-2014 06:07 PM

After a whole year of taking pictures with blemishes, I finally got annoyed and cleaned the front glass on 5 systems! First time in a while!

Water changes, of course that's a different thing!

Later I'll be doing a night feed, food thawing, I'm looking forward to it!

(Emerald, use a pigeon to send messages, I'm not sure how good they spell but it must be better than an owl!)

enrgizerbunny 12-02-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald76 (Post 3104136)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

It's the equivalent of eagle scout, pretty much.

enrgizerbunny 12-02-2014 07:06 PM

I rendered my heater useless because it was 82 in the house and the tank is right next to the wood stove-bad evaporative losses tell you what.

Autumnsky 12-03-2014 03:03 AM

Also, if someone could ID this fish I would be so greatful, I love how it looks and its size. It's the cichlid-looking one in the upper right.
Attachment 257194
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

I think female Scarlet Badis, that is pretty much what mine looked like but I never saw mine hanging out at the top of the tank.

Forgot to mention my Angel fish wigglers are on the bottom of the tank and swimming every once in a while, I forgot to leave the "night light" on for the parents so they can see better to put the babies back on the leaves, they move them to a new clean leaf every day. It is in a dark area of the house and I for some reason shut it off this morning (I don't even remember doing it)

I went to the lfs and only had 5 minutes to grab a few things, including Replenish, for my low mineral water, and some Stability, figured it wouldn't hurt with an uncycled sponge filter, I need any help I can get, though I put in a chunk of bulk filter pad from an established filter originally.

Autumnsky 12-05-2014 02:39 AM

I feel like I am just talking to myself here...

But anyway, I bought a freshly delivered bottle of Rotifers for my maybe new to be Clownfish. Shared a sample of it with the parents and Corals and seemed to cause a stir. Fed to the Angelfish babies too.

Picked up my birthday santa 12G rimless tank and stand a little early. Will be doing the tank as a little SW garden. Still working on the plan. Looks nice and sleek. Still don't know what brand. It was second hand but never used before. Got a used ~$129. birdcage with dishes, perches and toys for someone else and the tank and stand for both $80. Guy said he paid over 300, probably because it came with a light originally, but not now. Since he valued the bird cage at for a super deal for 20., I figure it was $60 for the tank. Still working on getting the phone camera to load pics. Maybe pics soon.

Jim B 12-05-2014 06:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got new driftwood for my 93 gallon corner build. Boiled one letting others soak ( too large to boil). Started cycle on tank added 5 Bavarian Rams, 1 albino bristle nose, 1 regular bristle nose, 2 neons, 3 cory cats, 1 clown loach, 3 tetras ( not sure what kind wife bought the fish). Tank is going to be a Discus tank once it's aged and set-up properly
Attachment 257441Attachment 257442Attachment 257443

Autumnsky 12-05-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim B (Post 3106060)
Just got new driftwood for my 93 gallon corner build. Boiled one letting others soak ( too large to boil). Started cycle on tank added 5 Bavarian Rams, 1 albino bristle nose, 1 regular bristle nose, 2 neons, 3 cory cats, 1 clown loach, 3 tetras ( not sure what kind wife bought the fish). Tank is going to be a Discus tank once it's aged and set-up properly
Attachment 257441Attachment 257442Attachment 257443

Love the new driftwood.

Watched the new babies eat Rotifers and First Bites, can't tell which were which. I am a little concerned about them eating they are swimming every where in the 37G from one end of the tank to the other and they look like they don't have an egg sac as of last night just a super tiny baby that looks similar to a newborn Guppy fry. Will try to get my uploading issue figured out with my phone so I can post a growing up thread.

Also Birthday Santa got me the 12G rimless tank and stand, a little early before it got sold to someone else. Yipee new SW frag garden coming up and a new build thread for that as well!!! Maybe this weekend.

MacabreGoblin 12-07-2014 12:24 AM

Today I finally added some fish to my tank - 3 albino cory catfish. I also finally found a check valve so I was able to hook up my airstone.

Unfortunately, after about 20 minutes of pushing gravel around, I'm still not happy with the overall distribution of my substrate. I'll probably be tweaking it more with next week's water change.

Ayi 12-07-2014 12:56 AM

Finally got my mom to realize that my Africans need a longer tank. She said sometime between March and summer I will get a 55-60 gallon.:) that also means all my other tanks get shifted up a size.

I did some rearranging, replanting and trimming. Wc's coming in the next hour or so.

Autumnsky 12-07-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayi (Post 3107330)
Finally got my mom to realize that my Africans need a longer tank. She said sometime between March and summer I will get a 55-60 gallon.:) that also means all my other tanks get shifted up a size.

I did some rearranging, replanting and trimming. Wc's coming in the next hour or so.

Start looking for a freebie on CL :brows:

Working like crazy right now. Happy Christmas season lol. Plotting and planning and searching for special stuff for the new tank.

Yesterday had to do a pwc on the Angel tank with babies, there was building Nitrite in the water because of the uncycled sponge filter and adding extra Rotifers and Fry food. The parents seemed to start eating some of the babies, they didn't like the vacuum thing but I had to get the gunk out of the tank. There were about 40.

There seem to be about 5 or so left, water was fine after that, and I think I will hook up a hob filter with a big sponge on the end, even though everyone says no. I can't stand the thought of them in the bad water. Really sad about the babies. Learning curve :nono:

Mebbid 12-07-2014 02:51 AM

My last betta died when I went out of town so I picked up a new one today. I also added more sand to my dirted tank to help keep the tannins from leeching as much.

https://i.imgur.com/S7RVPwY.jpg

He went from a cup to a 20g tank today. Pretty big size upgrade :)

shellyx 12-07-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mebbid (Post 3107412)
My last betta died when I went out of town so I picked up a new one today. I also added more sand to my dirted tank to help keep the tannins from leeching as much.

https://i.imgur.com/S7RVPwY.jpg

He went from a cup to a 20g tank today. Pretty big size upgrade :)

He's gorgeous! Really love his color. He'll love the space. Makes me want a betta :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Mebbid 12-07-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 3107645)
He's gorgeous! Really love his color. He'll love the space. Makes me want a betta :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

He's great already. Out exploring and he also ignores my shrimp unlike my last betta.