Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 04-17-2015 05:19 AM

Love Discus - since I was a kid and my eyes were probably the size of a Discus when they mesmerized me.

So started to move the Green Neons over to the 72G but the little guys refused to be caught. This cause me to remove everything from the tank to catch them, then I just kicked up a bunch of muck from the substrate, then I decided I better just clean out the substrate too. Spilled a half gallon + of water all over the place.

Then I couldn't find the 2nd female Killifish. Hope it just got scooped up with all the plants I had floating. Not seemingly anywhere. Maybe hopped out the back but I saw her recently yesterday. Didn't see any fish but there is a mass of tangled wires so not sure yet.

Then the snails were still crawling all over, did an additional pwc just to be sure. Re-acclimated the fish to the new water.

Then the filter wouldn't restart, had to clean out the impeller. Added an extra filter pad to the old one. Gave away the last extra seeded one to my daughter and forgot to put in a new one.

Added a little calcium and magnesium to the 72G. Saw a Cardinal with a bump on its side. :( The Green Neons are hanging out with the Cardinals.

Wasn't planning all that. :nono:

Mebbid 04-17-2015 05:58 AM

I heard a fish splashing in my reef tank so I camped out for a bit with the lights super dim to see what was going on. Apparently my snowflake blenny was trying to jump over the overflow again. I am going to have to secure it better so he doesn't take another ride down the pipes.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3205913)

Wasn't planning all that. :nono:

Sounds like an eventful day!

shellyx 04-17-2015 10:44 AM

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, rinsed filter's and cleaned impeller. Rearranged some plant's too give him more space.
Checked parameters on my shrimp tank couldn't believe how high my nitrate was 40 ppm! Haven't a clue what's caused that. Checked filter's for plant matter but none and I definitely don't overfeed.
Anyone have any idea's? Nitrate usually sits at 5 but this new tank has been running for 3 week's, old filter was transferred. ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

fish wrangler 04-17-2015 11:00 AM

Could a plant have died, and the extra ammonia caused your extra nitrates?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

shellyx 04-17-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish wrangler (Post 3206025)
Could a plant have died, and the extra ammonia caused your extra nitrates?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what's strange as I haven't had any ammonia? All plant's are healthy. And the tank isn't over stocked so I'm kinda confused over this.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

fish wrangler 04-17-2015 11:06 AM

The BB may have converted the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates before you could see the ammonia. All shrimp accounted for?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

shellyx 04-17-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish wrangler (Post 3206032)
The BB may have converted the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates before you could see the ammonia. All shrimp accounted for?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All shrimp are doing fine. Your probably right it's maybe gone through a mini cycle when I transferred everything over.
It's only been running for 3 week's I did move my old filter over to help seed the new one but the tank is a lot bigger. Thanks for the help ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

ImACoolguy 04-17-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyx (Post 3206008)
60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, rinsed filter's and cleaned impeller. Rearranged some plant's too give him more space.
Checked parameters on my shrimp tank couldn't believe how high my nitrate was 40 ppm! Haven't a clue what's caused that. Checked filter's for plant matter but none and I definitely don't overfeed.
Anyone have any idea's? Nitrate usually sits at 5 but this new tank has been running for 3 week's, old filter was transferred. ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.


His water must be discus quality lol. I swear you clean half his tank at least every 2 days :p


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

shellyx 04-17-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImACoolguy (Post 3206082)
His water must be discus quality lol. I swear you clean half his tank at least every 2 days :p


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Nearly Lol every 4 -5 day's 😜


55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Autumnsky 04-17-2015 05:45 PM

All inhabitants from the tank clean are alive this morning.

Went to the Petco 30% off sale (all plants and fish in aquariums - I guess Bettas too) and found some plants, Micro Sword Potted and bunch stems Repens and Bacopa.

Found a beautiful little Six Line Wrasse for my new SW transfer, I had to add another rock cave because the Clowns disapproved of a cave invader and they pretty much claimed the big hollow I made for them in the middle of the tank. Gonna feed them as every one can get cranky when they are hungry! lol

Got 2 Camel Shrimp they are very cute for the little Macro Algae 5G. Will have to do pics tomorrow, today's too busy.

One Fire Shrimp for the 12G. Yipee!!!!

pwc on 15G added RO/DI water to all SW for evaporation.

Moved a few coral frags from the 5 to the 12G just in case the Camel Shrimp want to snack on the Zoas, I guess they can do that sometimes, but they are really pretty and will be good in that tank for now since it is well established.

Wiped the glass

Found out I won't be picking up the School of CPD's 13 and 6 S & P Cories this week. :/

Scooping up my plants and heading out.

shellyx 04-17-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3206250)
All inhabitants from the tank clean are alive this morning.

Went to the Petco 30% off sale (all plants and fish in aquariums - I guess Bettas too) and found some plants, Micro Sword Potted and bunch stems Repens and Bacopa.

Found a beautiful little Six Line Wrasse for my new SW transfer, I had to add another rock cave because the Clowns disapproved of a cave invader and they pretty much claimed the big hollow I made for them in the middle of the tank. Gonna feed them as every one can get cranky when they are hungry! lol

Got 2 Camel Shrimp they are very cute for the little Macro Algae 5G. Will have to do pics tomorrow, today's too busy.

One Fire Shrimp for the 12G. Yipee!!!!

pwc on 15G added RO/DI water to all SW for evaporation.

Moved a few coral frags from the 5 to the 12G just in case the Camel Shrimp want to snack on the Zoas, I guess they can do that sometimes, but they are really pretty and will be good in that tank for now since it is well established.

Wiped the glass

Found out I won't be picking up the School of CPD's 13 and 6 S & P Cories this week. :/

Scooping up my plants and heading out.

Busy as usual Autumn! :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

PassengerTN 04-17-2015 05:52 PM

I've successfully done nothing all day except browse the web, and trying to figure what I want to put in this empty 29g, while trying to convince myself that I don't have space to set it up at the same time :ugh:

shellyx 04-17-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hensleyjk (Post 3206255)
I've successfully done nothing all day except browse the web, and trying to figure what I want to put in this empty 29g, while trying to convince myself that I don't have space to set it up at the same time :ugh:

But we always make space! Lol ;)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

PassengerTN 04-17-2015 06:01 PM

Ugh I know. Debated swapping it with the 10g planted in the living room, putting it in my oldest (5yo) daughter's room. She always said it is her "job" to take care of that tank anyhow.

Funny story, the 29g I traded for yesterday didn't come with a stand. Conveniently enough, my neighbor bought a table last weekend at a yard sale for $5 that we realized was a 29g aquarium stand once he got it home and we seen the sticker on the underside. To make it even funnier, the tank I acquired, and the stand he purchased are actually meant to be together. The stand came from the guys grandmother who had been using it as a TV stand!

Now to just talk the neighbor into selling it to me :)

shellyx 04-17-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hensleyjk (Post 3206261)
Ugh I know. Debated swapping it with the 10g planted in the living room, putting it in my oldest (5yo) daughter's room. She always said it is her "job" to take care of that tank anyhow.

Funny story, the 29g I traded for yesterday didn't come with a stand. Conveniently enough, my neighbor bought a table last weekend at a yard sale for $5 that we realized was a 29g aquarium stand once he got it home and we seen the sticker on the underside. To make it even funnier, the tank I acquired, and the stand he purchased are actually meant to be together. The stand came from the guys grandmother who had been using it as a TV stand!

Now to just talk the neighbor into selling it to me :)

Lol 😃 how weird is that!
Hopefully your neighbour will sell it to you when you tell him you have the tank that goes with it 😄

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Finntastic 04-17-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3206250)
All inhabitants from the tank clean are alive this morning.

Went to the Petco 30% off sale (all plants and fish in aquariums - I guess Bettas too) and found some plants, Micro Sword Potted and bunch stems Repens and Bacopa.

Found a beautiful little Six Line Wrasse for my new SW transfer, I had to add another rock cave because the Clowns disapproved of a cave invader and they pretty much claimed the big hollow I made for them in the middle of the tank. Gonna feed them as every one can get cranky when they are hungry! lol

Got 2 Camel Shrimp they are very cute for the little Macro Algae 5G. Will have to do pics tomorrow, today's too busy.

One Fire Shrimp for the 12G. Yipee!!!!

pwc on 15G added RO/DI water to all SW for evaporation.

Moved a few coral frags from the 5 to the 12G just in case the Camel Shrimp want to snack on the Zoas, I guess they can do that sometimes, but they are really pretty and will be good in that tank for now since it is well established.

Wiped the glass

Found out I won't be picking up the School of CPD's 13 and 6 S & P Cories this week. :/

Scooping up my plants and heading out.

Careful with the six line they love to jump. I came home from school one day to find mine taking a loooooong nap on my bed.

shellyx 04-18-2015 12:34 PM

Did a big pwc on my shrimp tank since my nitrate level was high, got it down between 10 - 20 ppm so I'm happy with that 😊 going to check levels again tomorrow.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Autumnsky 04-19-2015 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finntastic (Post 3206450)
Careful with the six line they love to jump. I came home from school one day to find mine taking a loooooong nap on my bed.

Thanks. It has a top which is pretty well fitted though there is a little space for jumping out. Hope he likes his "cave" Probably moving them all Monday to the "new SW build" in the 35G.

I think I have a leak in my 16G, I can't really figure out where the water is coming from.

After work and tea with friends (aka a long day) found water pooling on the floor. It might have been going on for a week. Noticed I had water on the floor several times but with changing water and cleaning tanks and filters, etc., when don't I have water on the floor, :lol:

I had to unravel a nightmare quantity of tubes, lines and wires and start over.

Found a DEAD mystery snail fouling up my tank water in the 16G and a dead fish, likely as a result of the wretched snail. :banghead:

I decided I might as well clean out the 35G FW which was growing water critters for baby fish. Moved all the plants, rocks and moss over to the 16G.

Bailed and cleaned out the 35G (did I mention I am REALLY tired?) Added in the LR I have been bubbling away in the bucket from the old tank for the past few weeks and added my new Cobalt submersible heater and 5 more gallons of water, checking to see if my other containers are fresh or salt. Going to do add more SW if I have it and then the air bubbler.

Planning to buy more SW tomorrow to set up the 35 as the SW for the clowns and Wrasse and will be adding in the pieces I need to make sure it will be running well in the next couple weeks. For now I will be using the HOB I have.

The light hood is built in to the top of the tank, like an all in one set up. My lights rusted out so I need to install new LED or something else.

Not planning on putting in the corals all until the lights situation can be decided. So for awhile will have FOWLR. ("fish only with live rock" for any non SW speaking persons, lol)

Yippee! :dance:

If the 16G is leaking I will have to do a reseal :nono:.

PWC on the 16G and collapse.:sleeping: (I wish)

My friend just got a new Betta for her 2.5G tank, looked at her new pics.

edit - 3am finally finished for the night. Got all the wires hooked back up so heat and air for everyone including the bucket of snails.

I think the rim is leaking on the 16G...still not positive but after cleaning up everything no water leaking and the level is down an inch.

enrgizerbunny 04-19-2015 08:38 AM

Purchased 100 lbs of pool filter sand.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

shellyx 04-20-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3207206)
Thanks. It has a top which is pretty well fitted though there is a little space for jumping out. Hope he likes his "cave" Probably moving them all Monday to the "new SW build" in the 35G.

I think I have a leak in my 16G, I can't really figure out where the water is coming from.

After work and tea with friends (aka a long day) found water pooling on the floor. It might have been going on for a week. Noticed I had water on the floor several times but with changing water and cleaning tanks and filters, etc., when don't I have water on the floor, :lol:

I had to unravel a nightmare quantity of tubes, lines and wires and start over.

Found a DEAD mystery snail fouling up my tank water in the 16G and a dead fish, likely as a result of the wretched snail. :banghead:

I decided I might as well clean out the 35G FW which was growing water critters for baby fish. Moved all the plants, rocks and moss over to the 16G.

Bailed and cleaned out the 35G (did I mention I am REALLY tired?) Added in the LR I have been bubbling away in the bucket from the old tank for the past few weeks and added my new Cobalt submersible heater and 5 more gallons of water, checking to see if my other containers are fresh or salt. Going to do add more SW if I have it and then the air bubbler.

Planning to buy more SW tomorrow to set up the 35 as the SW for the clowns and Wrasse and will be adding in the pieces I need to make sure it will be running well in the next couple weeks. For now I will be using the HOB I have.

The light hood is built in to the top of the tank, like an all in one set up. My lights rusted out so I need to install new LED or something else.

Not planning on putting in the corals all until the lights situation can be decided. So for awhile will have FOWLR. ("fish only with live rock" for any non SW speaking persons, lol)

Yippee! :dance:

If the 16G is leaking I will have to do a reseal :nono:.

PWC on the 16G and collapse.:sleeping: (I wish)

My friend just got a new Betta for her 2.5G tank, looked at her new pics.

edit - 3am finally finished for the night. Got all the wires hooked back up so heat and air for everyone including the bucket of snails.

I think the rim is leaking on the 16G...still not positive but after cleaning up everything no water leaking and the level is down an inch.

How's your 16 gallon doing Autumn? When I set my new tank up I put my new filter too close to the rim and got up to water spraying everywhere! 😄 hopefully yours isn't needing resealed.

Checked parameters on my shrimp tank and nitrate is now down to 5 ppm 👍panic over.
My elephant nose decided not to eat again this morning, so I've decided to not feed him for a day and hopefully he'll be hungry tomorrow night.


55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.