Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

BBradbury 01-01-2017 09:32 AM

Well...

Finally, I switched all my tanks to a more natural means of water filtration. Took some large "Aglaonema" house plants and rinsed all the potting mixture from the roots and emersed the roots in the tank water with the leaves above. The roots have started removing most of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste and from my water test results are returning pure water to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates test between 5 and 10 ppm.

After several years of removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, I can simply top off the open tanks every couple of days and not worry about the water chemsitry. The fish are living in near pure water conditions. The plants do such a good job of filtering the water, my water changes are roughly 50 percent twice a month. The plants do a much better job of filtration than I ever did.

The "Ag' plants are large and healthy with a constant source of nutrients from the fish and return clean water to the tank for the fish. There's a nice build up of algae on the plant roots for the fish and snails to eat. Don't have to worry about overfeeding either, the uneaten food dissolves in the tank water and is taken in immediately by the plants.

Trace elements are replaced through water top offs and the dissolved shells of the snails when they die. The Ramshorn snails can get quite large in this environment. Large water changes keep the water well oxygenated. I still use a couple of dual sponge filters to keep the tank water moving to increase gas exchange.

I figured, why not let the tank do most of the maintenance work and I'll have more time to enjoy the tank and prune the plants now and then. Should have done this a dozen years ago.

B

Brookster123 01-01-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 3399207)
Well...

Finally, I switched all my tanks to a more natural means of water filtration. Took some large "Aglaonema" house plants and rinsed all the potting mixture from the roots and emersed the roots in the tank water with the leaves above. The roots have started removing most of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste and from my water test results are returning pure water to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates test between 5 and 10 ppm.

After several years of removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, I can simply top off the open tanks every couple of days and not worry about the water chemsitry. The fish are living in near pure water conditions. The plants do such a good job of filtering the water, my water changes are roughly 50 percent twice a month. The plants do a much better job of filtration than I ever did.

The "Ag' plants are large and healthy with a constant source of nutrients from the fish and return clean water to the tank for the fish. There's a nice build up of algae on the plant roots for the fish and snails to eat. Don't have to worry about overfeeding either, the uneaten food dissolves in the tank water and is taken in immediately by the plants.

Trace elements are replaced through water top offs and the dissolved shells of the snails when they die. The Ramshorn snails can get quite large in this environment. Large water changes keep the water well oxygenated. I still use a couple of dual sponge filters to keep the tank water moving to increase gas exchange.

I figured, why not let the tank do most of the maintenance work and I'll have more time to enjoy the tank and prune the plants now and then. Should have done this a dozen years ago.

B

Those plants are not returning any water to the tank B. Theyre stripping the source of what they need to survive which happens to be what the fish excrete day to day. It's defintely the way to do it. Just take issue with the terms... "returning water"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BBradbury 01-01-2017 12:59 PM

Bro...

Actually, I've been using these plants in other, smaller tanks as an experiment for several years, just to make sure the plant system works before planting my larger tanks. This may be hard to believe, but the Chinese evergreen leaves constantly drip water from the tips. I was skeptical too, at first, but the system works. The plant really returns filtered water to the tank.

B

Brookster123 01-01-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 3399271)
Bro...

Actually, I've been using these plants in other, smaller tanks as an experiment for several years, just to make sure the plant system works before planting my larger tanks. This may be hard to believe, but the Chinese evergreen leaves constantly drip water from the tips. I was skeptical too, at first, but the system works. The plant really returns filtered water to the tank.

B

Very cool!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumnsky 01-01-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 3399207)
Well...

Finally, I switched all my tanks to a more natural means of water filtration. Took some large "Aglaonema" house plants and rinsed all the potting mixture from the roots and emersed the roots in the tank water with the leaves above. The roots have started removing most of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste and from my water test results are returning pure water to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates test between 5 and 10 ppm.

After several years of removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, I can simply top off the open tanks every couple of days and not worry about the water chemsitry. The fish are living in near pure water conditions. The plants do such a good job of filtering the water, my water changes are roughly 50 percent twice a month. The plants do a much better job of filtration than I ever did.

The "Ag' plants are large and healthy with a constant source of nutrients from the fish and return clean water to the tank for the fish. There's a nice build up of algae on the plant roots for the fish and snails to eat. Don't have to worry about overfeeding either, the uneaten food dissolves in the tank water and is taken in immediately by the plants.

Trace elements are replaced through water top offs and the dissolved shells of the snails when they die. The Ramshorn snails can get quite large in this environment. Large water changes keep the water well oxygenated. I still use a couple of dual sponge filters to keep the tank water moving to increase gas exchange.

I figured, why not let the tank do most of the maintenance work and I'll have more time to enjoy the tank and prune the plants now and then. Should have done this a dozen years ago.

B

Sounds like a great step to further your easy maintenance plan.

How about a pic?

~~

Got the Spec sitting with a couple cups of water in it and a trash bag for a background for the moment. Think I have a good idea instead of the trash bag, lol. It is just there so I can see the scape better.

Maybe don't "just" want to dump in the mess of plants I have in the bucket...thinking of something more aesthetically pleasing.

Here is the teaser pic
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture70798.jpg

Happy New Year - 2017 - wow, that seems like a good year to me!

Barliman 01-01-2017 09:25 PM

Found myself cleaning a filter at 1AM this morning -- Happy New Year! :banghead:

We'd had a brief power outage just after 12:30. Only lasted about ten minutes, but the Aquaclear on my 10g platy grow out tank didn't restart, so I had to break it down, clean it, and then it was fine.

Just how I wanted to spend New Year's Eve. :rolleyes:

Autumnsky 01-02-2017 12:06 AM

Haha, the teaser pic is the way the tank still looks.

Realized that I left my bucket of plants outside last night and there was 2 inches of ice on the sides and about 1" on top - it was sunny and 50F yesterday, was too exhausted from work to remember it. Anyhow. Things look okay, even the duckweed that didn't freeze in the top of the water was still green. After sorting through all the plants, I might find I don't need or want all the stuff that is in there after all.

Changed water, couldn't catch the Swordtail fish in the 12G, didn't feel too swell so fed the fish and read stuff on the computer, and shopped for some new fish and looked at shrimp too. Stared at the empty Spec. wondering what to put in there in which configuration.

wilkieam 01-02-2017 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 292659

Picked up my new 75 gal bundled with an Aquaclear 110, heater, and a few other things for $160. Merry Christmas to me!

Barliman 01-02-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkieam (Post 3399649)
Attachment 292659

Picked up my new 75 gal bundled with an Aquaclear 110, heater, and a few other things for $160. Merry Christmas to me!

Score! :thumb:

wilkieam 01-02-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3399697)
Score! :thumb:



Thanks! That's what I thought too! Few more things to get together and then I'll start a build thread. [emoji1303]

RonColle 01-03-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBradbury (Post 3399207)
Well...

Finally, I switched all my tanks to a more natural means of water filtration. Took some large "Aglaonema" house plants and rinsed all the potting mixture from the roots and emersed the roots in the tank water with the leaves above. The roots have started removing most of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste and from my water test results are returning pure water to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates test between 5 and 10 ppm.

After several years of removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, I can simply top off the open tanks every couple of days and not worry about the water chemsitry. The fish are living in near pure water conditions. The plants do such a good job of filtering the water, my water changes are roughly 50 percent twice a month. The plants do a much better job of filtration than I ever did.

The "Ag' plants are large and healthy with a constant source of nutrients from the fish and return clean water to the tank for the fish. There's a nice build up of algae on the plant roots for the fish and snails to eat. Don't have to worry about overfeeding either, the uneaten food dissolves in the tank water and is taken in immediately by the plants.

Trace elements are replaced through water top offs and the dissolved shells of the snails when they die. The Ramshorn snails can get quite large in this environment. Large water changes keep the water well oxygenated. I still use a couple of dual sponge filters to keep the tank water moving to increase gas exchange.

I figured, why not let the tank do most of the maintenance work and I'll have more time to enjoy the tank and prune the plants now and then. Should have done this a dozen years ago.

B



Would love to see a couple pics!

TMaier 01-03-2017 12:18 AM

Cleaned the Biorb and grow out tank.
Changed the back on my office tank. And spotted a bit of algae. Going low light there for a week to nip it.
Started tearing down my MTS/Pond snail tank now that I am pufferless. Not a ramshorn left in there and few ponds? Wonder if MTS somehow crowd out all other types of snails?

Autumnsky 01-05-2017 03:56 AM

Last night watched the Angelfish pick bites of my plants. Fed extra Seaweed treat.

Tonight fed all the tanks some defrosted frozen Tubifex and Mysis, and Brine Shrimp.

Target fed the Rock Flower Anemones, they grabbed up the Mysis fast as a lightning bolt.

Also saw the Yellow Line Goby gobble up some shrimp, and of course all of the Hermits were out to find some delicious snacks. I didn't see any unhappy fish.

Still looking at different tanks.

Autumnsky 01-05-2017 08:43 PM

Surprise! Snow Day!!!

With an unexpected "extra" block of time on my hands decided I have had enough of the rotten Algae in the 12G Edge. It was emptied of the fish, which moved to the 72G.

Substrate removed, filter cleaned, light surface descaled, all rinsed and wiped down inside and out. Substrate is Eco Complete. I have been looking locally for some Fluval Shrimp (or Plant) Strattum or the up Aqua kind. Doesn't seem to be available in the stores nearer me, so maybe start checking a few really far away lfs (hahaha).

Obviously I can get it online but I would like to see them in person. There are so often complaints about substrates like these breaking down in a short amount of time.

Here is the 12G Edge in it's ready for a new life
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture70810.jpg

Spec V first thought was to use the DW which refuses to sink. I wedged it in but it may be too large for the space. I have a couple other options, but no live stock.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture70808.jpg

All the plants that came out of the Edge need to be de-algae-ified big time.

I didn't groom the sand or anything just kinda jammed it in to see first off, to see if it fit. Which it does. Hmmm.

Not sold on this DW at this point.. You can't see (because of the light glare) but the far left has a DW branch piece sticking up out of the water, which I like the idea of.

~~~
All fish seem to be getting along well in the 72G atm. The 4 baby Super Red Plecos went into the 46G for now.

Thought process there is if I need to try to capture them in the 72G it will be a near impossibility, so the 46G is bare bones right now and has lots of room for them to munch and roam and grow. That way I can still think if I care about letting them into the 72G with the slight possibility of crossing with the other Albinos. The eggs, if reaching fry would likely be eaten anyhow.

For sure they could use an extra inch of growth before getting to the big tank too.

Have a couple more ideas about moving the Tangerine Tiger shrimp but still thinking that over as well.

:)

Autumnsky 01-05-2017 09:03 PM

Here is the build thread for the Spec V - Come on over to visit.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post3400786

KingKoopa512 01-06-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkieam (Post 3399649)
Attachment 292659

Picked up my new 75 gal bundled with an Aquaclear 110, heater, and a few other things for $160. Merry Christmas to me!

Sweet deal can't wait to see what you do with the it

Betta keeper 01-06-2017 10:28 PM

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Today I replaced my broken aqua clear 30 with an aqua clear 50

Finally I once again have sufficient filtration on the goldfish winter tank!
Attachment 292884It's been running on an aqueon quiet flow 30 for over a week and you should see my parameters:(Attachment 292883

I'll be adding the new one after supper

nirbhao 01-07-2017 12:12 AM

Didn't get to the fish nerd place or Petco today. Very disappointing.

Weekly water changes led to a snail mass exodus. Redid the water change and they seem happier? I hope? I have no idea what happened or why.

And I had never seen an adult rabbit snail climb 18" straight up.

Autumnsky 01-07-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirbhao (Post 3401119)
Didn't get to the fish nerd place or Petco today. Very disappointing.

Weekly water changes led to a snail mass exodus. Redid the water change and they seem happier? I hope? I have no idea what happened or why.

And I had never seen an adult rabbit snail climb 18" straight up.

Snails are good water indicators. Forget the dechlorinator? Huge pH difference in the tap water, water company had an issue with the pipes and ran some special super germ killer through the system??

~~
Did some reading /research, and searching for stuff I'm looking for.

Found 2 kinds of substrate, one I didn't think I wanted and was at a store about 75 min plus away - one way drive. The other was Fluval and was rather expensive for the size - $40. for the 4.4 lb bag which seems to go for $25. online.

I want to support local stores but by golly is that a huge difference. Then I pay for gasoline and time too (almost hour drive), or have it delivered to my door for free shipping and for less $! Life is a struggle.

nirbhao 01-07-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3401127)
Snails are good water indicators. Forget the dechlorinator? Huge pH difference in the tap water, water company had an issue with the pipes and ran some special super germ killer through the system??

Definitely used Prime. Right now I'm just glad nobody died! Whatever it was must have made them miserable.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.