Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Barliman 02-01-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3409688)
Odd. Usually I can go several weeks without messing with the prefilter. It may have to do with micron size.

Yeah, I might try a different sponge. It's a heavily planted tank, so there's lots that can clog a filter.

flchamp89 02-01-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409696)
Yeah, I might try a different sponge. It's a heavily planted tank, so there's lots that can clog a filter.

I got few plants lol. Try fluval edge pre filter.

TMaier 02-01-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409686)
I put a sponge pre-filter on one of my Aquaclears last week and, while it's been doing a great job (I no longer get the "rising basket effect" from a clogged internal sponge), it itself clogs up within around a week and has to be taken out for a cleaning (such as last night), lest it choke off the water flow. It's annoying enough that I'm considering removing it and looking for other options.



One of the reasons I hate HOB's and got a canister.

Barliman 02-01-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3409706)
One of the reasons I hate HOB's and got a canister.

You don't see the same problems with a canister getting clogged?

Barliman 02-01-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3409704)
I got few plants lol. Try fluval edge pre filter.

That's what I'm using. :/

flchamp89 02-01-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409713)
That's what I'm using. :/

Hmm idk. I got a java fern on top of mine that probably helps

TMaier 02-01-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409712)
You don't see the same problems with a canister getting clogged?



Nope. I had HOB's on my 5 and 10 gallon tanks and every week I had to take them apart and aggressively rinse them. Otherwise they would slow/stop/overflow etc. I rinse my canister and media once a month and haven't seen any issues.

Autumnsky 02-02-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409686)
I put a sponge pre-filter on one of my Aquaclears last week and, while it's been doing a great job (I no longer get the "rising basket effect" from a clogged internal sponge), it itself clogs up within around a week and has to be taken out for a cleaning (such as last night), lest it choke off the water flow. It's annoying enough that I'm considering removing it and looking for other options.

Look into a replacement sponge filter, the taller cylindrical type, there are different size fittings in the nice quality ones, they are very much larger ( could be a negative, though cleaning every few days would be a negative as well). If you aren't trying to keep fry or cherry shrimp out of the filter you can check out a more coarse foam pond prefilter sponge as a possibility too.

~~~

The Amazonia balls are drying out in the bag, now that I have it opened to the air. Firmer. The email I received said the soil is normal, mouldy smell and moist mud...is NORMAL. Amazon asked if my question had been resolved and of course NO. I added my 2 questions again.

They original email I received a useful bit of info about how the product will produce/leach ammonia for weeks. Thankfully I already know that and woudln't have killed off my little aqua critters. They went on and on about it with links. But didn't answer if a mouldy smell was normal or the mush silt balls.

I told them if that IS normal they can take it back. Or if they can't answer my questions they can take it back. And that I was disappointed and would share this experience. So we will see what they do about it. MY opinion would be that they replace the bag after smelling it and making sure it isn't mouldy smelling. Earthy and mouldy are two different smells. I wouldn't put that in my PRL Shrimp tank.

So far didn't even get it into water yet/ start leaching the ammonia out, in case they want to take it back. So now will be off schedule about a week or 2 by the time it is all over with. In the big scheme of things, shouldn't let it bother me but I am irritated. Mostly because I feel like I took a leap out to the edge to buy such an expensive substrate, when the other stuff would have been okay. This is from the U.S. sales arm of ADA. 2 more days of waiting for an email.

Fresh2o 02-02-2017 08:00 AM

Setup a new QT https://i.imgur.com/7FTpyge.jpg

flchamp89 02-02-2017 08:06 AM

Nice. 20 L?

Fresh2o 02-02-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flchamp89 (Post 3409905)
Nice. 20 L?

Actually a 6.6g! Will be picking up a fish order this weekend (Batfish Aquatics).

nirbhao 02-02-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3409686)
I put a sponge pre-filter on one of my Aquaclears last week and, while it's been doing a great job (I no longer get the "rising basket effect" from a clogged internal sponge), it itself clogs up within around a week and has to be taken out for a cleaning (such as last night), lest it choke off the water flow. It's annoying enough that I'm considering removing it and looking for other options.

I got a mesh screen tube for exactly that reason.

Obis Tanked 02-02-2017 11:48 AM

It's a bad day when you think your Platy is going to give birth to what looks like lots and overnight she dies due to a block backside. Our day goes on with a heavy head🤢[emoji225]

Barliman 02-02-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3409730)
Nope. I had HOB's on my 5 and 10 gallon tanks and every week I had to take them apart and aggressively rinse them. Otherwise they would slow/stop/overflow etc. I rinse my canister and media once a month and haven't seen any issues.

Hmm... I do have an unopened Rena XP2 in the garage... :brows:

Barliman 02-02-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirbhao (Post 3409912)
I got a mesh screen tube for exactly that reason.

That might do just the thing. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

nirbhao 02-02-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obis Tanked (Post 3409946)
It's a bad day when you think your Platy is going to give birth to what looks like lots and overnight she dies due to a block backside. Our day goes on with a heavy head🤢[emoji225]

Sorry for your loss.

Ironworker161 02-02-2017 06:43 PM

Vacuumed the gravel in my 30gal. And did 50% water change. Checked the water parameters in my 400 gal. Koi tank and in my 125 gal goldfish tank.

Betta keeper 02-02-2017 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed my background

The Betta isn't thrilled....he missed supper because he was flaring at the back of the tank lolAttachment 294330oh look, he's still there! [emoji23]

TMaier 02-02-2017 10:13 PM

PWC on the Nursery tank. No vacuum! Baby shrimp!

Hoobfoob 02-03-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymomma (Post 3410168)
Changed my background

The Betta isn't thrilled....he missed supper because he was flaring at the back of the tank lol

oh look, he's still there! [emoji23]


That made me laugh, that's too funny! Hopefully he'll get used to it!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.