Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What Did You do With Your Tank Today? (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-did-you-do-with-your-tank-today-195155.html)

Autumnsky 09-10-2017 04:58 PM

Cleaned out about a gallon of duckweed from the little pond watched the minnows who probably haven't seen much day light for a month and they went and hid pretty fast.

Autumnsky 09-10-2017 05:01 PM

Accidently hit the send button too soon. I did find my larger Clown Loach just saw him zip by.

Tested and have 80 nitrites in the 72G. Need to do another pwc, but also going to test my tap water.

Have to clean out my canster FX-5 for that tank right now!!!

TMaier 09-10-2017 08:31 PM

Did my PWC on Red's Biorb and my Big Daddy Biorb too. Pulled a few crypts out of my Khuli tank and moved them into Big Daddy. Had a little hair algae pop up in there and pulled out all I could find. With all the light that tank gets outside I'm surprised it's not sold green.

Sent 20 more snails off to good homes.

Autumnsky 09-10-2017 10:20 PM

More homes for your beautiful MS, TMaier, what a joy to think those beauties are finding new homes to brighten up peoples hearts and tanks!!!

Got the scary monster FX-5 cleaned. Can I just say it was the biggest scary monster!!! It was FULL of roots and pieces of rotting water wisteria and unrecognizable, I am sure, a pond of duckweed.

But did a rinse on everything and put it back. Made sure of tightening and gaskets but there was a wierd vibrating sound and I began to worry for a min.

Then after a bit of touching all the pieces to see where the noise was coming from realized it was an air pump which usually lives next to the other one on the top of the filter lid and it was behind the filter canister rattling against it making the worst noise!!!

After that it was so quiet I had to look into the tank and hold the out flow back and forth to be sure it was on.

The bottom basket of 3 in the canister was near clogged with plant mass/particles, the second from the bottom was half full and the top was really gunky as were the rest, but just a little hairy looking.

Before the filter clean out I retested the water int he tank and it looked more like less than md color from 40 to 80 so I was feeling better that the filter was doing its job at least some.

I may need to check back to the last time I cleaned out the FX-5 but I am surprised by the time i think went by how bad it was. Though the mess of plants was a big deal and was the biggest culprit.

At one point I may have gone nearly a year not changing it but was much more cautious on feeding and didn't have any over stocking issue or fussy fish.

I added the nice looking ~20 Neons to the 72G tank as I fed the big Angels they were unhappy about getting captured and put in a white bucket to acclimate over for a little bit. But they found their friends (now around 35) and already there is a lovely cloud of them moving around in the tank.

Will do a pic soon. Tank is a bit cloudy from restarting the filter and the moon lights are on to calm the new arrivals. YAY!!! Next plan is coming together.

Mebbid 09-11-2017 03:21 PM

Got some new fake plants for my Oscar tank, its coming along and I'm hating plastic plants a little less every day. Have some more coming in the mail so I can add some reds. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3dadb9a305.jpg

Delapool 09-11-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mebbid (Post 3466650)
Got some new fake plants for my Oscar tank, its coming along and I'm hating plastic plants a little less every day. Have some more coming in the mail so I can add some reds. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3dadb9a305.jpg

I like these! I don't mind plastic / silk plants (nice ones out there), just the algae on them.

Toad 09-11-2017 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Technically last night, but rearranged the driftwood and plants, put an old penguin 330 on it instead of the two smaller ones that weren't really doing the job. Still need to get a background on there.Attachment 303683

Autumnsky 09-12-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mebbid (Post 3466650)

What does the Oscar think - that's the important thing! lol

So these are the plants that don't die off causing clogging & high Nitrates because of all the plant parts stuck in your giant/monster canister filter? They are looking better and better all the time!

That looks good and a little reds will set off the greens! Easier to take care of with an Oscar that's for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad (Post 3466690)
Technically last night, but rearranged the driftwood and plants, put an old penguin 330 on it instead of the two smaller ones that weren't really doing the job. Still need to get a background on there.Attachment 303683

Looks really nice.

~~~~

Went to 2 lfs called 4 others around the area ~ 1.30-2 hours through traffic, road work and towns drive apart. Found a pale looking Rock Flower Anemone and a really ugly brown one, left the brown one, they were $14.99 each $16+ with tax so not exactly a low cost addition for a very average item. Bought the one because thought might not see much for awhile after the hurricanes.

Found some moderately nice colored ones which could have been 39.99 to 59.99 but were price outrageously at $75. each what a joke! They had amazing corals for the 59-79. They must just be the hot item right now. But not worth that at all, honestly I wouldn't pay 40. they were just one colors.

They did not have Nassarius snails which I have been looking for for months locally and not at an outrageous price (but lately haven't even found any).

Clown Loaches were not available at the stores visited and called.

Though I did wander past the fish section at a Wally World and It is odd that I do not think that there wasn't a top ten fish NOT to buy for an aquarium that was not being sold there. All on the list. Dragon Goby, Silver dollar, Common Pleco, all GF like Comets common and KOI though they were the saddest specimens ever seen next to the other big box stores, Fancy GF, Cichlids that get really big, Oscars, Tinfoil barbs, oh the Clown Loaches there were a few but so many dead fish and sick fish. There were other bad choices too can't think of them now. Most these fish all get around a foot or longer!!!

Purchasing anything from those tanks would have to be medicated and it would still likely die. And they were not that low of a price either.
We stopped at a this a different store - not in my usual sphere of travels- I do not usually see that sort of thing at a store like that, so sorry for the rant. Just so hard to believe... (maybe not really that hard to believe but you all know what I mean!!!

Okay what I DID get was a really awesome plant - a bulb plant - a Aponogeton capuroni 6+ inches tall and about 6 -7 leaves already for 7.99. More than I wanted to pay but it is really amazing. They had more - only got one, but I might go back next week. This ones bulb is almost 4" long!!! Just dropped it in for now.

Autumnsky 09-12-2017 12:35 AM

A pic of the Aponogeton capuroni - it's longer leaves are ~8" and 10"
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71500.jpg

Cute shrimp
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture71501.jpg

Delapool 09-12-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad (Post 3466690)

Looking nice! I like the placement and also think a background would hide that filter intake a bit but liking it!

Tacit Blues 09-12-2017 01:43 PM

Discovered that my local Petschmo has Bucephalandra tissue cultures. So I picked one up out of curiosity. I love Anubias, so I'm really excited to see how they compare.

nirbhao 09-12-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacit Blues (Post 3466803)
Discovered that my local Petschmo has Bucephalandra tissue cultures. So I picked one up out of curiosity. I love Anubias, so I'm really excited to see how they compare.

I was so excited when I saw them near me. It's such a great class of plant.

Fresh2o 09-12-2017 11:08 PM

Cool on finding buce tissue cultures. I should check my local store. I usually go there to get dog food.
Got a new GH/KH test kit. Yes, the Black Mountain Seiryu Stones increased those values (not a surprise). Also measured the pH in the evening and determined that the daily pH swing about 1.2-1.4.
What's a post without a pic? https://i.imgur.com/ZnppwZe.jpg

TMaier 09-12-2017 11:23 PM

Fresh those snails are working hard for you. Tank looks great.

Fresh2o 09-13-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMaier (Post 3466869)
Fresh those snails are working hard for you. Tank looks great.

Thanks. They hate me when I nuke the stones with H2O2. I usually use a jet of water to dislodge them first.
Interestingly, of the three types of snails present (MTS, rams horn, and pond), the RH outnumber the other two.

TMaier 09-13-2017 12:13 AM

I have found that I cannot raise Ramshorns with any other kind of snail. They out complete all of them. Some MTS will survive but not too many.

Mebbid 09-13-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3466736)
What does the Oscar think - that's the important thing! lol

So these are the plants that don't die off causing clogging & high Nitrates because of all the plant parts stuck in your giant/monster canister filter? They are looking better and better all the time!

That looks good and a little reds will set off the greens! Easier to take care of with an Oscar that's for sure.

Looks really nice.

~~~~

Went to 2 lfs called 4 others around the area ~ 1.30-2 hours through traffic, road work and towns drive apart. Found a pale looking Rock Flower Anemone and a really ugly brown one, left the brown one, they were $14.99 each $16+ with tax so not exactly a low cost addition for a very average item. Bought the one because thought might not see much for awhile after the hurricanes.

Found some moderately nice colored ones which could have been 39.99 to 59.99 but were price outrageously at $75. each what a joke! They had amazing corals for the 59-79. They must just be the hot item right now. But not worth that at all, honestly I wouldn't pay 40. they were just one colors.

They did not have Nassarius snails which I have been looking for for months locally and not at an outrageous price (but lately haven't even found any).

Clown Loaches were not available at the stores visited and called.

Though I did wander past the fish section at a Wally World and It is odd that I do not think that there wasn't a top ten fish NOT to buy for an aquarium that was not being sold there. All on the list. Dragon Goby, Silver dollar, Common Pleco, all GF like Comets common and KOI though they were the saddest specimens ever seen next to the other big box stores, Fancy GF, Cichlids that get really big, Oscars, Tinfoil barbs, oh the Clown Loaches there were a few but so many dead fish and sick fish. There were other bad choices too can't think of them now. Most these fish all get around a foot or longer!!!

Purchasing anything from those tanks would have to be medicated and it would still likely die. And they were not that low of a price either.
We stopped at a this a different store - not in my usual sphere of travels- I do not usually see that sort of thing at a store like that, so sorry for the rant. Just so hard to believe... (maybe not really that hard to believe but you all know what I mean!!!

Okay what I DID get was a really awesome plant - a bulb plant - a Aponogeton capuroni 6+ inches tall and about 6 -7 leaves already for 7.99. More than I wanted to pay but it is really amazing. They had more - only got one, but I might go back next week. This ones bulb is almost 4" long!!! Just dropped it in for now.

The Oscar seems to be happy, there's more stuff for her to hide in and around when she's playing dead so it seems to work! :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delapool (Post 3466689)
I like these! I don't mind plastic / silk plants (nice ones out there), just the algae on them.

Thanks!

Autumnsky 09-13-2017 02:17 AM

Oh, I got confirmation to buy a used FX-5 plus it happens to come with 2 sets of side basket sponges new which probaby cost 50 (didn't remember to check) for 100 and a bunch of excess plants. It's again more than I want to pay but a aquaclear 110 is 80. It's long haul east of Denver but near my fun little lfs that has all the cool nano fish.
A new fx-6 is 288 online so I still save. I need yo order some more media.

DreaminginBlue 09-13-2017 02:28 PM

My C3 stopped working for no reason. After spending hours on YouTube trying to figure out what was wrong, I gave up, pulled the impeller out, stuck it back in, and tried again.
It worked perfectly. :lol:

Barliman 09-13-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh2o (Post 3466866)
Cool on finding buce tissue cultures. I should check my local store. I usually go there to get dog food. (...)
What's a post without a pic? https://i.imgur.com/ZnppwZe.jpg

I love the color of your alternanthera. Such a deep, rich red. :thumb: