Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Cichlid Discussion (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   Plecos in a sand substrate tank (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/plecos-in-a-sand-substrate-tank-209685.html)

Duddits 05-30-2012 11:03 PM

Plecos in a sand substrate tank
 
I was gonna purchase a small pleco to help control the algae on my rocks and dw. However, I was told at petsmart that they don't recommend it because plecos can suck up the sand in the sand trying to clean it and die. Is this true?

Tetra1990 05-30-2012 11:10 PM

Highly doubt it, but anythings possible. I have my clown Pleco on sand and it's doing good so far.

Zagz 05-30-2012 11:16 PM

I have literally a couple hundred plecos of all sizes and all my tanks are sand. My oldest is a gold nugget pleco, he's 12 and he's been fine with sand all his life.

DragonFish71 05-30-2012 11:36 PM

They told you a bunch of fish-poo.

The plecos I have in my sand tanks love playing in the sand and are thriving.

jetajockey 05-30-2012 11:56 PM

Agreed, I have kept several plecos on sand. I guess they must think that these fish come from a sand-free water system, lol.

5x5 05-30-2012 11:56 PM

I agree with the others. Every one of my lousy plecos lives in a tank with a sand substrate and I even think its the most ideal situation. They hover above the sand and blow on it to sift for food. Similar to stingray behavior.

Duddits 05-31-2012 12:15 AM

Looks like I'm buying a pleco tomorrow :)
Thanks all, I appreciate it

TenaciousTriggerFish 05-31-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duddits
Looks like I'm buying a pleco tomorrow :)
Thanks all, I appreciate it

I have a twelve inch pleco in a tank with sand and it was horrible cuz he kept digging gown to glass so the rank looked terrible he did this for a week till two weeks ago I re arranged my rocks to a cave-like formation he dug under there once and left the rest if the tank alone and is super happy !!! :)
Lesson? Give him a hiding spot tehe lol

Duddits 07-07-2012 12:55 PM

Well I tried a Pleco and no luck :(
He lasted about a week. Found him dead on the bottom if the tank. Through the week it looked like he was getting picked on. All his find were chewed up. So my question, all my fish are happy and thriving. Did my fish kill him or the fact that I have sand in mr tank?

smomus 07-07-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duddits
Well I tried a Pleco and no luck :(
He lasted about a week. Found him dead on the bottom if the tank. Through the week it looked like he was getting picked on. All his find were chewed up. So my question, all my fish are happy and thriving. Did my fish kill him or the fact that I have sand in mr tank?

Could have been many factors, but I doubt sand was one. sorry for your loss!

haglagwr 07-07-2012 03:58 PM

Yeah probably from being picked on. I got a common bristle nose pleco a few weeks ago. He is a few inches larger than the rest of my fish so he hardly gets picked on. How big was the one you got in comparison to your fish? This may have been a factor. Also mine has plenty of hiding spots where the Africans don't notice him. Do you have places for him to hide? Sorry for your loss though.

Mcass 07-07-2012 06:29 PM

I have a sand bottom in my 76 with about an 11 inch pleco. Never had any problems. That shouldn't be the issue a highly doubt.

Jacobsal91 07-07-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcass
I have a sand bottom in my 76 with about an 11 inch pleco. Never had any problems. That shouldn't be the issue a highly doubt.

I second this statement, got sand in mine and my pleco is a few years old

biss444 07-07-2012 10:18 PM

wasn't the sand,what other fish are in the tank, and what size are they

tnmichx6 07-08-2012 01:57 AM

unfortunately i found this our too. we purchases a small pleco for our 15 gallon breeding tank. with in 2 weeks he tripled in size, we found him dead this morning. he would also push sand to bottom of the glass.

TenaciousTriggerFish 07-08-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmichx6 (Post 2016692)
unfortunately i found this our too. we purchases a small pleco for our 15 gallon breeding tank. with in 2 weeks he tripled in size, we found him dead this morning. he would also push sand to bottom of the glass.

AWE sorry


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.