Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   55 Patience is a Virtue Seawater Build (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/55-patience-is-a-virtue-seawater-build-233898.html)

San Raphael Catfish 11-16-2012 07:07 PM

55 Patience is a Virtue Seawater Build

2 Attachment(s)
I have run a 55 gallon freshwater for 7 years and I have finally decided to make the jump into saltwater. My plan is to build slow and enjoy the process.

My tank is all tempered glass, so I won't drill it to run a sump. I cleaned the outside with windex, I will clean the inside with vinegar. I painted the back emerald green today, so I don't have to look at cords through the tank. I picked green because I like it and I figured it would be a calming organic color.

Plan is to get it cleaned up and back on the stand, because the room looks funny without it there.

Next is to get crushed puka shells and crushed corals to make DIY live rock. I already have 94 pounds of White Portland Cement and water softener salt for that part. I will have DIY live rock left over that I may use to barter for other things I'll want for the tank.

I gave my freshwater fish to my son's science teacher to go into the classroom 125 gallon tank. He in turn gave me 15 pounds of Instant Ocean salt to get me started.

Gotta make my rock, and recharge my purigen before start the cycle and put in fish.

Just read this week Saltwater Aquariums for dummies. Thanks for all the advice.

I will run a Cascade 1000 canister and purigen and I haven't decided yet and will get a hang on skimmer.

Thanks for reading and joining me on this process.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-16-2012 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is the White Portland Cement. I have watched about ten YouTube videos and read an article in Reef and Coral and am very excited to make it and soak it until it is ph safe to put in the tank. I'll post photos of the rock getting made.

Beengirl 11-17-2012 08:39 AM

I like the green background. That will look nice when it's set up! Keep us posted!

San Raphael Catfish 11-17-2012 08:21 PM

Admin. . . Oops, I meant it to say Saltwater, not seawater. I am not sure what a seawater build would even mean. Can someone change the title for me.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-20-2012 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tank back in its place. I like the green glow through the green back of the tank. Can hardly wait till it is full of life.

SRC <><

Beengirl 11-21-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
Tank back in its place. I like the green glow through the green back of the tank. Can hardly wait till it is full of life.

SRC <><

Yeah, that's a nice shade of green. Good choice. :)

San Raphael Catfish 11-21-2012 10:45 AM

Thanks!

Got crushed coral yesterday. Will get crushed puka shells Friday. Saturday afternoon I will start making my DIY live rock. API test kit and Seachem prime are in transit.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-25-2012 07:19 PM

Made my first batch of live rock today. 2 cups crushed coral, 2 cups crushed puka shells, 1 cup white Portland cement, mixed with water and the added 1 cup of rock salt. Poured into mold, prepped the mold with extra rock salt to help it release. Will have photos in a couple days, when it dries.

What is funny and I am tempted to try, DIY rock needs lots of water changes to leach out the alkalinity before it can be put in with livestock. I was reading on another forum about people putting them in the toilet tank, because every flush is a water change. Ha, I have three toilets in the house.

I'm going to check how this batch goes, before I ramp up production.

SRC <><

Beengirl 11-25-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
Made my first batch of live rock today. 2 cups crushed coral, 2 cups crushed puka shells, 1 cup white Portland cement, mixed with water and the added 1 cup of rock salt. Poured into mold, prepped the mold with extra rock salt to help it release. Will have photos in a couple days, when it dries.

What is funny and I am tempted to try, DIY rock needs lots of water changes to leach out the alkalinity before it can be put in with livestock. I was reading on another forum about people putting them in the toilet tank, because every flush is a water change. Ha, I have three toilets in the house.

I'm going to check how this batch goes, before I ramp up production.

SRC <><

The toilet thing is hilarious. Can't believe someone thought of that!! Haha

San Raphael Catfish 11-26-2012 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First piece. Not really pretty. Very porous. I am going to tweak the recipe a little and make more tonight. I have a long way to go to make 55 or so pounds. I thought what might be semi-cool was to get some kid sand molds, I have seen some that are shell or starfish shape.

It is gonna make great home for beneficial bacteria and tiny invert. And some day being all purple.

SRC <><

Mr. Crabs 11-26-2012 11:08 PM

I give you a lot of credit for making your own rock. Very ambitious especially for your first time setting up a salt tank. You're gonna end up being the guy that makes a lot of progress really fast and has one of those mind numbing reef tanks in under a year.

I can appreciate flat pieces of rock, but maybe try a mold to make more rounded shapes with nooks and holes in it. I'm not sure how to do that, but maybe someone will chime in.

San Raphael Catfish 11-26-2012 11:49 PM

Thanks Mr. Crabs.

Updates,

1. Toilet tank curing of DIY live rock is a no go. The pieces of rock are too big.

2. Made 2 batches today, did them up in starfish shapes, just for fun. Will have photos tomorrow. Better and more exciting shapes. Still getting used to the DIY mix. Used 1.5 parts white Portland cement instead of 1 part.

I have seen where people make great molds out of sand, the problem is the silicate in sand that I don't want in the tank.

I am not sure if coral sand will hold shape when damp like play sand. Does anyone know?

SRC <><

Hondatek 11-27-2012 08:00 AM

Looks good src. I can't answer your question about the sand but I do know even if you use silicate sand it will eventually get used up .so you might have longer diatom stage but in the end it will be non existent.

San Raphael Catfish 11-27-2012 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday's starfish shaped DIY live rock. I dunked one this morning in the curing tote and then quickly pulled it out when I remember that it did not have 24 hours to set up yet. I like the organic shape.

One cool thing I learned is they don't stick to the cardboard that I made them on. I was worried that the cardboard would have to be soaked to come off.

I'm gonna look at some live rock photos and see of there is any shape I can emulate. I need to rule an experiment with mix and plastic wrap. To see if they don't stick. I might be able to make more cylindrical shapes and branches with wrap maybe.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-27-2012 06:58 PM

Made up two more batches. I have a couple ideas. I don't like the flat, non 3d part of the rock. My current plan, make rocks with similar detail as the starfish on day one. Day two, turn them over and add bulk to the flat side. Day three add a base and stand them on end. Photos to follow tomorrow.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-28-2012 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Oops, wasn't as patience as I should have been. Broke a new piece before the cement was fully hardened. Not a problem though. Going to cement it again when I do the backside this afternoon.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 11-29-2012 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New photos!! It lives! Well, at least it stands. Three days in the making so far. The water bottle to make the cave will be pulled out when cement dries. There will be a cave or tunnel on the taller piece as well. Changed the water in the curing tote. When I get all the pieces in there, I put a HOB filter on it just to stir up the water. I am running out of puka shells and crushed coral. May need to get more. Doesn't seem like near enough rock for a 55.

SRC <><

Thanks to all those that are following the process.

San Raphael Catfish 12-05-2012 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About 42 pounds of DIY liverock curing. Had a HOB filter moving water. Watching it and saw the cord hissing and burning. Needless to say, not using that any more. Switched to back up HOB filter.

Cure baby cure.

Got API test set so I can tell when the rock has leached out enough to be safe.

SRC <><

marsh 12-05-2012 07:48 PM

In my sculpture class I used an empty milk type carton ( I used an extra big goldfish cracker carton) and raw clay around the corners to make organic shapes for poured plaster.

San Raphael Catfish 12-06-2012 09:28 PM

Help. What sand or coral substrate do I need? I plan to have blennies, and maybe a goby. I don't want too small and have a constant sand storm, or too large that creatures and fish can't dig.

SRC <><

Sniperhank 12-06-2012 09:58 PM

Pool filter sand will work, as will agrigate based sands. You can see them easily at dr foster and smith's website. Thats where I got mine from.

crobo 12-06-2012 10:50 PM

pool sand has a lot of silicates( rincing cant get rid of everything, so youll be back to the large diatom bloom if you go that route. I just got a mix of really fine, crushed aragonite, and a bag of live sand mixed up, gives the sand a nice natural look IMO.

San Raphael Catfish 12-07-2012 01:45 PM

Thanks all. Crobo, I think that is the way that I am going to go. Live sand and crushed coral.

San Raphael Catfish 12-08-2012 07:30 PM

Bought 15 pounds of crushed coral, 40 pounds of live sand and 160 gallon /48 pounds of Instant Ocean. Petsmart had a sale and I had an additional 15% off coupon. Got it all for 80.00.

Will probably use the crushed coral to make more DIY Live rock. That will give me about 55 pounds of live rock when I am done.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 12-13-2012 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Changed out the water again, so it can all keep leaching. Put the pieces out on the lawn for you all to see. Filling my tote again. Waiting for the day to put it in my tank and start cycling. Daydreaming of shrimp, clownfish, crabs, soft corals and a blenny.

SRC

edited -- I have added filters to tote HOB to try to take out the fine particulates that could raise PH. Just want to remove them from the equation.

My plan for when I start the system on cycle is
1. add DIY live rock
2. add unrinsed live sand (I paid for them dirty bacteria)
3. Let the tank sit a day or two with saltwater
4. Start up canister with Bio floss and purigen.
5. When the water clears, add 2 mollies.
6. When cycle ends, add Clown fish and CUC. (Remove half the floss after cycle ends. Replace standard floss every three weeks)
7. Will add HOB Skimmer/UV sterilizer.
8. Lowlight soft corals at first and then other soft corals when I add LED lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFjh7WoMP0 is the example of a reef without a sump that I am trying to follow. As I have a no drill tank, and told never to trust HOB overflow boxes. I trust my canister. It has served be beautifully for 8 months from new.

Your thoughts?

Beengirl 12-14-2012 03:48 AM

I think your DIY rock is pretty cool. :) I like the spires that you made on the one and the cave in the other.
A canister filter will be fine, just clean it well every week. I use one on my reef, and it's doing well, never had any cyano or algae outbreaks. But I clean it every week. If you get time, you can check out my tank that I use the canister on and see how it looks. The thread is called "update of Beengirl's 55g reef." It's under the Members saltwater tanks section.

San Raphael Catfish 12-20-2012 03:12 PM

My first PH test from my live rock tub is 8.4-6. Obviously more waiting. Changing the water to help more to leach out.

San Raphael Catfish 01-19-2013 10:53 PM

Changed water in my DIY rock leaching tank. Ordered a 120 watt Taotronics LED system tonight.

San Raphael Catfish 01-20-2013 06:14 PM

bought TaoTronics TT-AL02 Black Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 30:25; Two-Year Warranty) from Amazon.

Running 8.4 PH in my leach out tote. Planning on adding some white vinegar to the tote to help force the PH down. Once I get it down .2 I plan to set up my display tank. Can hardly wait.

SRC <><

TommyP 01-20-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish (Post 2294097)
bought TaoTronics TT-AL02 Black Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 30:25; Two-Year Warranty) from Amazon.

Running 8.4 PH in my leach out tote. Planning on adding some white vinegar to the tote to help force the PH down. Once I get it down .2 I plan to set up my display tank. Can hardly wait.

SRC <><

Hi SRC,

Just read through your build and I love the rocks. It may not look as natural as some other tanks but it's definitely going to be unique. I love the way you made the rock in the starfish shape very good idea. I wanted to comment on the lights. I currently am running a 4 bulb T5 HO set up. It has 8 LEDS just for moonlight. I was thinking about upgrading to LEDs as well but was always recommended to buy the dimmable ones. This way you can accliamte corals and such. Also, with a 55g tank, I have one as well, you need 2 of those set ups. If I can get away with only buying 1 LED set up I would of done that already. If your tank is doing good and thriving with only 1 LED unit, im doing it lol. Just figured Id give you my input.

San Raphael Catfish 01-20-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyP (Post 2294176)
Hi SRC,

Just read through your build and I love the rocks. It may not look as natural as some other tanks but it's definitely going to be unique. I love the way you made the rock in the starfish shape very good idea. I wanted to comment on the lights. I currently am running a 4 bulb T5 HO set up. It has 8 LEDS just for moonlight. I was thinking about upgrading to LEDs as well but was always recommended to buy the dimmable ones. This way you can accliamte corals and such. Also, with a 55g tank, I have one as well, you need 2 of those set ups. If I can get away with only buying 1 LED set up I would of done that already. If your tank is doing good and thriving with only 1 LED unit, im doing it lol. Just figured Id give you my input.

My plan is to get a second LED at some point. I plan to start out with the first one dead center. Maybe bring in corals and them put them on the edges of the tanks and then move them in after a period of time to help with acclimating at first.

I am thinking on getting some coral and have it singly cover a starfish shape like all Xenia or something like that to make the organic shape look even more organic.

I will be learning as I go. Thanks for checking out my thread. People did seem happy with that LED light, even though it was not dimmable.

SRC <><

TommyP 01-20-2013 08:48 PM

Okay great. I just didnt want to hang them above the tank I was looking for something that had a bracket to mount it ontop of the tank, similar to the t5's. If yours works out with only 1, maybe I'll do the same thing... following anyway.

San Raphael Catfish 01-21-2013 07:29 PM

Recharging my purigen and getting it ready to go. It is soaking in 2 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of Prime to dechlorinate it.. I was surprised that the bleaching that the bleaching left some of the purigen still red.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 01-22-2013 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is so cold in the garage during the winter. I was wondering if the cold was slowing the leaching process. Placed the rocks in the tank with freshwater, heater and HOB filter to try help move the process along. Looking forward to seeing it all alive with color and movement.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 01-23-2013 04:07 PM

Took the plunge. Salt and live sand added.

TommyP 01-23-2013 04:09 PM

Nice plunge lol

San Raphael Catfish 01-23-2013 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depending on clarity tomorrow I might add my first fish. My canister is probably cleaning this up nice while I am at work.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 01-23-2013 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gone live. Canister filter cleaned it up beautifully while I was at work. Starting with 3 creamcicle mollies. 1 male and two female.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 01-23-2013 08:18 PM

At what point can I add a clean up crew? Do I have to be done with the cycle first?

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish 01-24-2013 10:11 PM

Added a Chromis. They didn't have any in the tanks at Petco. But they just got in a shipment, and I got it in a bag, out of the shipping box before it touched a Petco tank.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 01-25-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ph 8.4
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.022

San Raphael Catfish 01-26-2013 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Taotronics light arrived. Hope to hang it this weekend.

San Raphael Catfish 01-27-2013 01:22 PM

Ammonia -- .50 ppm
Nitrite -- 0

I didn't know that Chromis hide when not in groups. My research only said that they were peaceful and would school. Only after doing a search for chromis hiding did I find that.

My chromis is parked in the shadows above my heater.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 01-27-2013 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Install Taotronics light tonight. Will get matching light when I have more cash to spend.

SRC

TommyP 01-28-2013 11:03 AM

Looks nice. What happened to dead center lol

San Raphael Catfish 01-28-2013 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To answer your question, my wife. She all the sudden got behind the project and wants to get me a second light now.

Chromis and mollie in tunnel.

San Raphael Catfish 01-29-2013 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 6

Ammonia -- .50ppm
Nitrite -- .25 ppm
Nitrate -- 20 ppm

Just did a water change.

I don't know how you feel about yours, but I love my tank.

Scottyhorse 01-31-2013 04:22 PM

Looks good but IMO you should have done a fishless cycle ;)

San Raphael Catfish 02-01-2013 12:29 AM

The Chromis is out and about more, he is enjoying the different tunnels.

San Raphael Catfish 02-02-2013 12:29 PM

Doing 20% water changes every other day. Just did it this morning.

I have no algae to use the nitrate. I want to get some coralline from somewhere.

Everyone in the tank is looking happy.

ReefNoob0424 02-02-2013 12:59 PM

Dude the DIY live rock is friggen awesome! The tank looks great! And I love the huge DSB!

San Raphael Catfish 02-02-2013 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefNoob0424 (Post 2318945)
Dude the DIY live rock is friggen awesome! The tank looks great! And I love the huge DSB!

Thanks! Looking forward to being done with work for the day and just go home and stare at it.

Got a flat screen upstairs. But I hang out downstairs with the smaller older HDTV so I can look over at the tank. Anyone else do the same?

Waiting for the cycle to be over so I can add a couple clowns.

SRC <><

ReefNoob0424 02-02-2013 05:21 PM

That's awesome man! I'm really looking forward to that!

San Raphael Catfish 02-02-2013 05:26 PM

Anyone have experience with pistol shrimp? Once the cycle is done, a goby and pistol shrimp are high on the list with a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. Planning on adding Xenia and ricordea.

ReefNoob0424 02-02-2013 06:00 PM

That's actually what I want so badly! I really don't know either so I'm on the same boat as you!

San Raphael Catfish 02-02-2013 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haha. Patience Patience!

I keep shopping, well virtual shopping at reefs2go. I keep filling my shopping cart. I also check tidal gardens. Coral Props is a couple miles away. Might see if I can go there rather than online order and pick my corals.

Joined a local reef club in Facebook.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 02-03-2013 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sonomakid, this photo is for you, to help you understand the mounting of the light. The lower hook, cables and clips came with the Taotronics LED.

Sonomakid 02-03-2013 06:50 PM

Thank you ! How do you like the light so far ?

San Raphael Catfish 02-03-2013 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am enjoying the light. Looking forward to the time when I have something that needs it, but it makes the fish and tank look great.

Added a cinnamon clown today after extended drip acclimatizing. She is active and happy. My daughter named her "Coral".

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 02-04-2013 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chromis decided to come out and play after all.

apet66 02-04-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish (Post 2323599)
Chromis decided to come out and play after all.

I have 2, they are very active fish once they get used to their new home. I hold a pinch of flake food just under the water and they eat it right out of my fingers.

San Raphael Catfish 02-04-2013 10:45 PM

I will have to try that.

San Raphael Catfish 02-05-2013 09:35 PM

The clown is eating well today.

apet66 02-05-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish (Post 2325274)
The clown is eating well today.

Good news!

San Raphael Catfish 02-05-2013 09:46 PM

It ate squid and later some Omega One with garlic. Happy that it would eat.

SRC

ReefNoob0424 02-05-2013 10:02 PM

That's great news! Good to hear he's eating!

San Raphael Catfish 02-06-2013 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aquarium seating. You need comfy seats to watch your fish from. These are the old leather rear seats out of the BMW 633 that I used to have. I upgraded the interior to 635 seats and kept these. I like that they are down low to get a good close look at the fish. Photo from my freshwater days. We move them around as need be.

ReefNoob0424 02-06-2013 06:16 AM

That's a cool idea!!

San Raphael Catfish 02-06-2013 04:57 PM

My son is supposed to bring my a coraline encrusted rock from his science teacher today. We gave him our fresh water fish and he gave us about 50 gallons worth of salt.

He doesn't run RODI in his tank. I plan to run RODI eventually.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish 02-10-2013 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting to get diatoms. I'll get my coraline encrusted piece of live rock on Tuesday.

SRC

ReefNoob0424 02-11-2013 09:22 AM

Good! Glad everything is working out!

San Raphael Catfish 02-12-2013 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the coraline encrusted rock from my son's science teacher. He said take whatever you want and left to go to a meeting. He really likes the freshwater fish I gave him. I only took a smaller piece and when I got home I put it in a paper grocery bag and hit it about ten times with a hammer so that I would be able to spread it across the tank better. Some of the bigger pieces I scraped along my sterile white DIY live rock to help seed new growth.

Did a 10% water change today.

San Raphael Catfish 02-13-2013 12:14 PM

When does one need a skimmer? The guy at petsmart yesterday said I needed one doing the cycle. Really?

ReefNoob0424 02-13-2013 12:39 PM

I didn't use my protein skimmer during the cycle, I didn't even have my lights on during the cycle.

What's your parameter's?

San Raphael Catfish 02-13-2013 07:37 PM

Ammonia near 0

Nitrite 1

Nitrate 20

Ph 8.4

Gonna take my filter canister filter apart tomorrow.

ReefNoob0424 02-13-2013 07:46 PM

Yeah go for it. What are you planning on getting?

Before you put it on, when was the last time you did a PWC? If you didn't do it recently I would do that first IMO before you get the protein skimmer running.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had the canister on tank since day one. Give the trays a good rinse and maybe pull the charcoal and the purigen for a while.

I don't know if they could some how be holding up the cycle. Probably do a 20% water change tomorrow.

SRC

ReefNoob0424 02-14-2013 07:47 AM

Canister filters are factors of nitrate build up. You should look into overhang overflow box and have a refugium/sump underneath your tank. "The more water, the better".

Yeah I would do the 20% water change. See how your parameters are afterwards.

I used a canister filter on my old tank and I had huge problems with the nitrates.

Justintotank 02-14-2013 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had my sump up and running for about a week now, water has never been so clear! I was reluctant to go with a hang on overflow box, so I drilled my tanks and installed one proper :)

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 10:05 AM

My tank is undrillable, all tempered glass. My water is amazingly clear as well. The problems are what you can't see in the water.

ReefNoob0424 02-14-2013 11:09 AM

You can get a diamond bit drill (I found one for $10 but is only good for 4 holes) which can drill through tempered glass. That's what I did with my tank. No problem and clean cut.

I know you are concerned about the parameters. I highly recommend the overflow box and the refugium, they are seriously amazing. The biological filter is so important and will help you with your parameters.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 11:41 AM

The whole point of live rock is Biological filter right?

There are warning stickers on the tank that say DO NOT DRILL. I figure they know what they are talking about.

I just cleaned the canister filter, and removed the charcoal and the purigen for a while.

I am not so worried about long term parameters, I am right now making sure that nothing gets in the way of cycling.

I might pick up a hang on back refugium.

SRC <><

Sniperhank 02-14-2013 11:50 AM

Pick up a HOB overflow. I run a CPR one with an aqualifter on my 55 reef. Works great. Just keep a paperclip along side it incase the output for the aqualifter gets clogged.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 11:54 AM

Can You Drill a Hole in Tempered Glass

Tempered glass is glass subjected to a process that permanently changes its structure, making it tough and durable. Any cutting or drilling necessary is carried out before the tempering process. It is inadvisable to drill tempered glass.

1. Features

• Tempered glass has a very hard, durable surface. It is more resistant to heat than standard glass and breaks less easily. Pieces of glass that are to be tempered are precut and drilled before undergoing the tempering process, because they cannot be drilled afterwards.

Effects

• Tempered glass is made by heating glass to around 1300F (700C). The glass is then removed from the furnace and cooled very rapidly. This creates new stresspatterns in the glass; the core of the glass is under tension, while the surfaces of the glass are in compression. Tempered glass is 400 to 500 percent stronger than standard glass, but if the surface is damaged the whole pane shatters completely. This applies to cutting and drilling as well as accidental damage.

Considerations

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 11:56 AM

Is there some reason not to get a HOB refugium and HOB skimmer?

SRC

Sniperhank 02-14-2013 11:58 AM

I personally don't know much about them, but can speak for what I am using with success. And who can argue with more water and place to put your equipment? Maybe a future refugium? It is a great project either way.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 12:02 PM

Something about more than one way to skin a cat.

My stand has a integral center support that would only allow maybe a ten or 15 gallon sump, but then I would run the risk of flooding the carpet on that side of the basement.

Doesn't seem like a big enough pay off for me, at least at this point.

More water is better, absolutely.

Daniel Fishy 02-14-2013 12:06 PM

The pwc are slowing down your cycle. I have a hob skimmer doesn't bother me I look at my reef not the skimmer. I use the eshopp overflow love it always restarts after wc no pump needed. Hob fuge is better than nothing if you can fit a fuge under tank you won't regret it. Don't drill tank!!!

Daniel Fishy 02-14-2013 12:07 PM

15 gal is fine my lfs sells them if set up right it will never flood.

Sniperhank 02-14-2013 12:12 PM

Actually you'd be fine! With proper design you won't flood. On the overflow, water can only pass into it until it goes under the level of the baffles. Then, for the sump, I'm told drilling a small hole in the return line will help on this end, but simply designing the sump to hold a smaller amount of water will prevent overflow of the aquarium.

So, to reflect, a sump can't overflow from siphon loss. To ensure the display doesn't, don't have a sump totally full of water. Even with my ato sucking a gallon of ro/di into the mix, my display does not overflow upon rate siphon loss. This is why the aqualifter is on the overflow to prevent this.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Water change or no water change guys?

SRC <><

ReefNoob0424 02-14-2013 01:06 PM

Yes you need a PWC (20%)

Justintotank 02-14-2013 01:23 PM

Agreed pwc recommended, post back with your next set of peramiters.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 01:34 PM

Water changing now. Does it look like I am done with my ammonia spike and need the nitrite spike now?

ReefNoob0424 02-14-2013 02:13 PM

Ammonia is the one that determines your cycle. Ammonia is the one that triggers nitrite which triggers the nitrate. That's why your nitrate is high. Do the water change and see how your parameters are next week. You won't get immediate results.

How old is your tank?

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 03:11 PM

Three weeks

ReefNoob0424 02-14-2013 03:15 PM

Your cycle is probably over. Just get that nitrate down and see how it goes from there.

I would really look into the hang-on over flow box and the refugium.

San Raphael Catfish 02-14-2013 03:23 PM

That is uber good news. I'll check for a week and do water changes for adding shrimp.

San Raphael Catfish 02-16-2013 09:06 PM

Ordered a 800 gph powerhead today.

San Raphael Catfish 02-19-2013 11:54 AM

25% water change yesterday. Current parameters

0 Ammonia
1 Nitrite
20 Nitrate
8.4 ph