Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Cichlid Discussion (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   If you want males... (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/if-you-want-males-307915.html)

MeCasa 04-28-2014 08:17 PM

If you want males...

In two weeks I'm adding a dozen cichlid to a 150 with lots of hiding places. I don't want to discuss what breeds I'm using because I don't want this thread to go that direction, so let's just assume that all species will be aggressive.

I will need to stock the tank within two months so that I can keep all the species at the same size. The problem is that many of the species I've chosen I want males only and there is a contradiction on availability of pre-sexed sizes.

Any ideas or suggestions. I know that different breeds can be sexed at different sizes but most cichlids can be sexed at 2" +. I hate having to dispose of accidental females but I can not allow breeding in this tank or it will be a slaughter. In some species the male and females are both beautiful but for many species.......

Buy multiple fry and cull or buy 2 inchers which can be hard to get

Thanks

Gillie 04-28-2014 08:25 PM

I would cull and keep the males I like best, you can always sell the ones you don't want to other hobbyists or trade them to your lfs for supplies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

squirrilah fish 04-28-2014 08:58 PM

I agree, I have 4 stores within an hour that take trade ins, especially females because they breed them.

MeCasa 04-28-2014 09:16 PM

Thanks

So generally try and buy three? and ask if they'll take the others back in trade? I never knew that stores did that.

How about the fish you buy online, I know the $$$ numbers are not a biggie because the shipping costs are the same for three as for one. But will the local stores take these providing they're healthy sell-able fish?

The truth is that I don't have any friends that raise cichlids and I don't have the heart to kill them

Donovan - Atlantis

peacockkeeper 04-28-2014 10:17 PM

I have been in the same boat that is why my stocking is going slowly. I have trouble finding males at lfs. I hit them often and buy them when I can. It's also the reason why I have ended up with smaller tanks holding juvies and females. I have done pretty well picking out males from unsexed fish. I usually go with the largest/most aggressive in the tank. I currently do have a few females in my grow out tank but colors are starting to come in on several of my juvies. I think I got 8 out of 10 on my last group. I also don't have the heart to cull but I checked last time I hit the store and they said they are willing to take them. Going to wait a little longer to make sure they are females though. The hardest part is waiting. I bought a bunch of juvies 3 months ago and they are just starting to show color.