Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   Breeding Guppy for a bit if money (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/breeding-guppy-for-a-bit-if-money-340709.html)

LayzorBeams 09-02-2015 04:25 PM

Breeding Guppy for a bit if money

So ive got a 20 gallon set up, cycling, with sand and decor from other tanks.

Going to use it to breed some Guppies!

This is a project i will start as soon as i can find some decent Guppies i can afford, as its almost done cycling thanks to the big boost i gave it.

I will be selling the offspring to the LFS, obviously culling the ones i have to. I don't really intend to, and i know i wouldn't, make a fortune off of these, just to get myself a bit of extra store credit at the LFS. I will probably sell them cheap, but its money and it will get my into the owners good books, even though i kind if already am.

So, any tips? Im not sure which strain sells the best, so i would like to have that answered. How long can the offspring be bred back to the parents before i have to introduce unrelated fish?

Basically, info is great :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

TheresaM 09-02-2015 06:26 PM

Maybe talk with your lfs to see if there are any particular colors/strains they'd prefer? You might also check out AquaBid to see what's selling and for how much.

PoppaRyno 09-02-2015 06:39 PM

Aquabid is a good way to move gups. LFS (not all) usually get their guppies at a crazy cheap rate and give hobbiest/breeders almost nil for them. But, the good lfs, they are out there, will hopefully do ya right. I ran into this quite a bit with my guppies. Good luck, man. Make money money.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LayzorBeams 09-02-2015 06:54 PM

Yeah, i know i cant sell to Petco or a huge company like that, but some privately owned stores, one in particular, will let me sell stuff to them. Im a pretty regular visitor, usually at least once a week, maybe more, and i don't give him any bad fish that i have, so its on good terms.

So yeah, hopefully i can make a bit of money to put back into this.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

PoppaRyno 09-02-2015 06:58 PM

I didnt mean you wouldnt be successful. The lfs i was talkin abt were private/smaller. I was just givin you a heads up.

LayzorBeams 09-02-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3274554)
I didnt mean you wouldnt be successful. The lfs i was talkin abt were private/smaller. I was just givin you a heads up.

Yeah, i know :)

I get 1/3 credit for fish i bring in, but i would be fine with 1/5 or 1/6, thats still almost a dollar apiece. Im sure to get that it would have to be a rarer strain...

PoppaRyno 09-02-2015 07:08 PM

Thatd be awsome, man. Good luck. Love them moscows.

LayzorBeams 09-02-2015 07:21 PM

Yep, Black Moscows have been what I've been looking at the most...

Ive heard about Purple Moscows... Cool, but a bit more $$ that i cant really spare

PoppaRyno 09-02-2015 07:41 PM

Dem moscows be pricey if ya want decent stock. Ive got blacks, greens, & purples.

brennae 09-02-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3274588)
Dem moscows be pricey if ya want decent stock. Ive got blacks, greens, & purples.

Pm me please. I'm in the guppy hobby as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

brennae 09-02-2015 09:07 PM

As far as guppies go I'd do what was recommended and talk to your lfs about what they think they can move. I get half of what my lfs sells mine for. Blacks and purples are very popular now

LayzorBeams 09-03-2015 01:23 AM

Huh, ok. I will go talk to them :)

Were you asking me or PoppaRyno to PM you?

Thanks for all the stuff so far :) I've not ever done Guppies, but I've done Platies. Im pretty sure Guppies are a better investment.

So yeah, thank! Anything else i should know haha :p

brennae 09-03-2015 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3274754)
Huh, ok. I will go talk to them :)

Were you asking me or PoppaRyno to PM you?

Thanks for all the stuff so far :) I've not ever done Guppies, but I've done Platies. Im pretty sure Guppies are a better investment.

So yeah, thank! Anything else i should know haha :p

I was asking PoppaRyno to pm me if he has moscows for sale.

Here's how I work it, I take my cheap strain of reds into the independent lfs that I shop at and they give me half of what they sell for in store credit. So then I turn around and buy fish food which of course has a markup so they are really making money with that deal. When I take in fish that cost me $40 or $50 a pair or trio I am going to ask that they sell them at a higher price and ask for cash instead of store credit. They know they would need to charge more if I get a hold of show quaility-ish guppies and they said they would try it but weren't sure if there is a market for them in my area. They told me any oddball fish that I can breed they will try out because they support the hobby.

Another interesting tidbit is that their wholesaler carries all black guppies but will only sell males. That made lfs mad and they quit ordering them because they sell guppies in pairs only. So if you can get friendly with a manager or owner and find out these kinds of things it will only benefit you.

IFGA, American Livebearers Assoc, and Aquabid are all good sources for guppies. I just purchased higher quality reds for breeding with my line to try to improve it. You are going to have to invest in fish from more than one source because otherwise they get too inbred and you end up selling too many fish that are culls (I sell or give away culls for feeders).

So my advice is get a color/strain not available at the box stores. Don't get super expensive fish to start with. I don't separate my guppy fry from the parents. I have tons of plant cover for the fry and I also feed at a minimum twice a day. I've read articles by show breeders that say you should feed up to 6 times a day while the fry are growing but small amounts each time.

As far as food, I get the better foods and I also feed a variety of frozen and live foods. I buy blackworms and I keep a decent sized culture of white worms. So 3 to 4 times per week they get frozen (Hikari brand is best). I mix brine shrimp, tubiflex worms, blood worms, daphnia and baby brine shrimp and feed with a medicine dropper after I thaw it in a disposable cup. Some breeders claim blood worms aren't good for guppies so I don't feed them a lot but just a little of those. ABout twice a week I give live food and the rest of the time its flake like New Life Spectrum, Omega one etc. I don't feed live and frozen in the same day.

As far as tanks, I was away for 6 weeks for some classes and I came home and there were 5 tanks of guppies. One 10g and four 20g tanks of these red guppies because my mom didn't know what to do with them. Any new line I acquire I put in qt and they get a 10g tank for that. Depending on how many adults I have they may go in a 20g.

I also breed killifish on a very amateur level and those can go in as little as 5g tank per pair.

That's all I can think of that you need to know to start. If you have any questions let me know. If I don't know they answer I'll be honest and say that. LOL (Some people make up answers in those situations and I hate that)

:thumb:

FWFishTanks 09-03-2015 10:38 AM

Higher end round tails are easy to maintain genetics and go for a good price. I am currently selling panda round tails for $7 a pair

FWFishTanks 09-03-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3274783)
I was asking PoppaRyno to pm me if he has moscows for sale.

Here's how I work it, I take my cheap strain of reds into the independent lfs that I shop at and they give me half of what they sell for in store credit. So then I turn around and buy fish food which of course has a markup so they are really making money with that deal. When I take in fish that cost me $40 or $50 a pair or trio I am going to ask that they sell them at a higher price and ask for cash instead of store credit. They know they would need to charge more if I get a hold of show quaility-ish guppies and they said they would try it but weren't sure if there is a market for them in my area. They told me any oddball fish that I can breed they will try out because they support the hobby.

Another interesting tidbit is that their wholesaler carries all black guppies but will only sell males. That made lfs mad and they quit ordering them because they sell guppies in pairs only. So if you can get friendly with a manager or owner and find out these kinds of things it will only benefit you.

IFGA, American Livebearers Assoc, and Aquabid are all good sources for guppies. I just purchased higher quality reds for breeding with my line to try to improve it. You are going to have to invest in fish from more than one source because otherwise they get too inbred and you end up selling too many fish that are culls (I sell or give away culls for feeders).

So my advice is get a color/strain not available at the box stores. Don't get super expensive fish to start with. I don't separate my guppy fry from the parents. I have tons of plant cover for the fry and I also feed at a minimum twice a day. I've read articles by show breeders that say you should feed up to 6 times a day while the fry are growing but small amounts each time.

As far as food, I get the better foods and I also feed a variety of frozen and live foods. I buy blackworms and I keep a decent sized culture of white worms. So 3 to 4 times per week they get frozen (Hikari brand is best). I mix brine shrimp, tubiflex worms, blood worms, daphnia and baby brine shrimp and feed with a medicine dropper after I thaw it in a disposable cup. Some breeders claim blood worms aren't good for guppies so I don't feed them a lot but just a little of those. ABout twice a week I give live food and the rest of the time its flake like New Life Spectrum, Omega one etc. I don't feed live and frozen in the same day.

As far as tanks, I was away for 6 weeks for some classes and I came home and there were 5 tanks of guppies. One 10g and four 20g tanks of these red guppies because my mom didn't know what to do with them. Any new line I acquire I put in qt and they get a 10g tank for that. Depending on how many adults I have they may go in a 20g.

I also breed killifish on a very amateur level and those can go in as little as 5g tank per pair.

That's all I can think of that you need to know to start. If you have any questions let me know. If I don't know they answer I'll be honest and say that. LOL (Some people make up answers in those situations and I hate that)

:thumb:

What is your survival rate for fry in tank?

brennae 09-03-2015 11:15 AM

Well it started with 5 pairs or so in my mom's tank and 2 to 3 months later there's 5 tanks. I've sold about 100 fish and there are 100 more at least. I don't count fry but I'd say that's a pretty good rate.

FWFishTanks 09-03-2015 11:31 AM

That's amazing! I might just start raising my dwarf panda guppies in their tank.

brennae 09-03-2015 12:33 PM

I'll take a pic of how much plant cover I provide. I'm actually buying a ton of plants from a local plant And fish keeper in the next city. I'll keep you posted.

brennae 09-03-2015 12:35 PM

Cholla wood works for fry to hide in but I haven't used it yet. Plastic plants work as well if they are bushy but I believe live plants are best. Just imo.

LayzorBeams 09-03-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3274913)
Cholla wood works for fry to hide in but I haven't used it yet. Plastic plants work as well if they are bushy but I believe live plants are best. Just imo.

Ok, whew, thats a lot!

Im using sponge filters, Java Moss lining the bottom of the tank to hide in. I guess i will start out with a strain that isn't to pricey and is decently common so i can sell them better.

Thanks for all the advice :)

PoppaRyno 09-03-2015 06:01 PM

Float lots of plants. The fry are top dwellers for a while after being born.

LayzorBeams 09-03-2015 06:14 PM

Ok. Any low-light recommendation? I don't have all the fancy shenanigans that you elderly folk (thats just a joke, don't mind me) have... To complicated, too expensive!

So yeah, any specific plants i should use that an run off of just light?

And please dont ask what type it is, it was a gift... I will just say "A bright one!"

PoppaRyno 09-03-2015 08:08 PM

Hornwort works great. Me, Elderly.... No way, bruh. How old is you?

BANGAR 09-03-2015 08:19 PM

For tips on guppy breeding and strains Google IFGA beginners corner. They have a whole page dedicated to it.
Fry do well in smaller tanks by themselves, so they don't have to compete for food until they are 1-2 months. I just grind up flake and bloodworms for fry food.

Tip you can do is develop the same strain with two independent parents for a few generations, then cross them back with there distant relatives. This takes a few tanks though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

brennae 09-04-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3275066)
Ok. Any low-light recommendation? I don't have all the fancy shenanigans that you elderly folk (thats just a joke, don't mind me) have... To complicated, too expensive!

So yeah, any specific plants i should use that an run off of just light?

And please dont ask what type it is, it was a gift... I will just say "A bright one!"

I've never done CO2. My lights vary from T8, T5 from the hardware store and a few T5 HO. My plants do just fine. I don't want to mess with CO2 due to the extra work and also expense.

Fishobsessed7 09-06-2015 01:04 PM

Following...

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

brennae 09-07-2015 08:59 PM

So any updates or developements?

LayzorBeams 09-07-2015 11:54 PM

Just got back from camping, starting school again in the morning...

Busy week, so no time to go to get some Guppies...

But yeah, its all planned out... Just have to get Guppies and Java Moss.

LayzorBeams 09-07-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3275163)
Hornwort works great. Me, Elderly.... No way, bruh. How old is you?

Haha. Im 17, so preeeettty sure I'm not elderly.

Although, if i was older i wouldn't have budget problems :)

brennae 09-08-2015 12:27 AM

Dude the older you get the more budget problems you have. Trust me!

BANGAR 09-08-2015 12:46 AM

You can ball on a budget if you use ur fish tank money wisely 😜. Got quad 24inch t5s purchased and shipped for 50$!!!
Brand new!
Built a custom stand and canopy from left over maple plywood.... Pretty affordable

PoppaRyno 09-08-2015 12:50 AM

+1 BANGAR, Baller on a budget.... Its a lifestyle. 😎

LayzorBeams 09-09-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3277594)
Haha. Im 17, so preeeettty sure I'm not elderly.

Although, if i was older i wouldn't have budget problems :)

Well, yeah you have more to pay for.

But, usually, you have a job.

I just help my Uncle for like 10-15 dollars a day, once or twice a week.

So yeahhhh.... Anyone have any job openings in IGH Minnesota :)

LayzorBeams 09-09-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3277620)
+1 BANGAR, Baller on a budget.... Its a lifestyle. 😎

Haha!

Im sure i could find better deals, but I'm impatient and wary of buying cheap things due to a fear of having to replace them a lot...

brennae 09-10-2015 01:42 AM

Today I purchased fish from an older purple Moscow line. So excited because I didn't pay $100 a trio like they're priced on aquabid.

BANGAR 09-10-2015 01:53 AM

Pics tho!!!???

brennae 09-10-2015 02:30 AM

I just got done acclimation them about an hour ago and I had the light low
I will certainly take some in decent light tomorrow

FWFishTanks 09-10-2015 07:49 AM

Are those moscows from the Mosseaus? Their purples are pretty high priced

brennae 09-10-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FWFishTanks (Post 3278673)
Are those moscows from the Mosseaus? Their purples are pretty high priced

I believe these are from one of the very early lines from the Mosseaus. Obviously they have changed since then and with the ones I got the females are still throwing some different tail shapes. I'll get some pics soon.

FWFishTanks 09-10-2015 11:43 AM

Can't wait for pics! Do you planning on participating in any guppy shows?

brennae 09-10-2015 11:45 AM

Probably not right now. I did pay the $35 for a year membership to IFGA sp I could use their library. Umm yeah, not what I expected. Too dummied down for me.

FWFishTanks 09-10-2015 11:50 AM

Do you have to pay to be in the shows?

brennae 09-10-2015 01:52 PM

I'm not sure. There may be an entry fee. Ifga.org and if or doesn't tell you I will look it up later.

brennae 09-10-2015 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok pics. As I said in my build thread these are older lines so may need a little work to get them like the modern strains. Top blue/green and bottom pic are the purples.

LayzorBeams 09-10-2015 04:49 PM

Cool!

Still waiting to go to the LFS to buy some fish. But of course my schedule... Ehhhh.

The only Moscows i can find near me are Blacks. They are cool but not my favorite.

Its not racist i promise 😐😝

brennae 09-10-2015 05:09 PM

Getting fished shipped to you from someone off Aquabid isn't an option? Might be a a schedule conflict because you need to be there to receive the package
Hmmm

brennae 09-10-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3278863)
Cool!

Still waiting to go to the LFS to buy some fish. But of course my schedule... Ehhhh.

The only Moscows i can find near me are Blacks. They are cool but not my favorite.

Its not racist i promise 😐😝

If you want to make a little money you need things the lfs doesn't carry. That's why I got the black moscows. :)

TheresaM 09-10-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3278833)
Ok pics. As I said in my build thread these are older lines so may need a little work to get them like the modern strains. Top blue/green and bottom pic are the purples.

Love the colors!

brennae 09-10-2015 05:20 PM

Thanks! On the purples he gave me a ton of pregnant females. The females still throw different tail types so I'm interested to see what happens.

LayzorBeams 09-10-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3278882)
Thanks! On the purples he gave me a ton of pregnant females. The females still throw different tail types so I'm interested to see what happens.

Wellllll....

I may have to hit you up on some babies...? At some point. Maybe?

brennae 09-10-2015 11:35 PM

Sure but it will be awhile before I have enough to even think of selling.

LayzorBeams 09-10-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3279156)
Sure but it will be awhile before I have enough to even think of selling.

It would probably be a while before i could afford them. Few months at least. I know they are a bit pricing haha.

BANGAR 09-11-2015 12:32 AM

Look at the dorsal fin! Holy crap that thing is beastin... Looks like a quality purchase!

brennae 09-11-2015 12:48 AM

What I purchased yesterday isn't even his show quality strain. Lol he has these wonderful blue pastels and some red albino snake skin. Those had giant dorsals.

LayzorBeams 09-15-2015 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I've made and solidified my decision.

Just went out today, and bought me some Endlers. I got 4 females, and 2 males. The females are small, which i wanted just to ensure they we rent pregnant already. The males show a lot of purple, green, and orange.

I chose them because i know they have very similar breeding habits to a Guppy, if not the same, and i can easily sell them off to the LFSs around me. Only 1 has Endlers, so i should be able to sell to them, and I'm sure the other stores will take them, I've just never seen them there.

Right now they are in the 20 with the Betta. (The 10 Black Neons were removed due to them nipping the Betta 😡😡.) The Endlers will be moved to the 20 as soon as i seed the sponge filter, which i decided to buy instead of the HOB i have on it currently.

Attachment 278062
Large are males, the smaller ones are females. The pic is just to show the size difference, in case that will cause problems? Im aware they aren't quite yet ready to breed.

So yeah! Tips and such appreciated, if you've got any.

brennae 09-16-2015 12:35 AM

So what strain of endlers are these and what class? How old are they currently? How long before breeding age. I've never had endlers but have seen some in person and I know they are quite small as adults. My recommendation with any breeding program is to get fish from two sources to eventually breed together. You don't want to inbreed a ton because if they are like guppies you get genetic defects the more they are inbred. Did you get them from a local breeder or the lfs or mail? I'm asking so many questions because I'm very curious how other people set things up.

LayzorBeams 09-16-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3281707)
So what strain of endlers are these and what class? How old are they currently? How long before breeding age. I've never had endlers but have seen some in person and I know they are quite small as adults. My recommendation with any breeding program is to get fish from two sources to eventually breed together. You don't want to inbreed a ton because if they are like guppies you get genetic defects the more they are inbred. Did you get them from a local breeder or the lfs or mail? I'm asking so many questions because I'm very curious how other people set things up.

They arent an online order. They are just LSF Endlers. Im just getting them and hoping to get a few spawns out of them before deciding on a more expensive Guppy.

On a slight side note: both males are dead.

Cry.

So yeah, all the females are fine and dandy, males are out. Could it be the Betta not liking the bright colors? Its my only guess... Ive done a lot of tests to reassure myself the water was fine for them, so i have to think the Betta is guilty. It would still be my fault of course, but...

Any possible reasons here besides either coincidence, bad luck, or a jealous Betta?

LayzorBeams 09-16-2015 05:11 PM

And they died within 12 hours of me getting them, which leaves me a bit shocked. As i said, the females are happily playing with each other and checking out the Betta, no clamped fins or heavy breathing or anything...

brennae 09-16-2015 05:14 PM

I'm leaning towards weak stock which has nothing to do with anything you did.

TheresaM 09-16-2015 05:20 PM

That's too bad :( I've successfully kept Endlers with a betta in the past but all fish are different.

I've been breeding Endlers off and on for years, started way back when it was almost impossible to find females in stores.

LayzorBeams 09-16-2015 05:21 PM

Yeah could be i guess. I will try to find somewhere else to buy some males, as the LFS probably get all the Endlers at the same place, and i don't want to breed and sell animals that cant even live a full 24 hours after being introduced... I could understand them being constantly stressed and wilting away but 12 hours? Thats not fair... Not sure if im willing to pay the online ordering price, but maybe.

TheresaM 09-16-2015 05:27 PM

A few folks here on the site sell Endlers. Live Fins has them good quality fish and I'm pretty sure the prices listed for Endlers include shipping.

brennae 09-16-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3281974)
Yeah could be i guess. I will try to find somewhere else to buy some males, as the LFS probably get all the Endlers at the same place, and i don't want to breed and sell animals that cant even live a full 24 hours after being introduced... I could understand them being constantly stressed and wilting away but 12 hours? Thats not fair... Not sure if im willing to pay the online ordering price, but maybe.

Good plan to buy from another source. If you can't find anyone local you may have to mail order to get decent stock.

LayzorBeams 09-17-2015 04:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 278138

Thats the tank, i like the look. It has a little bit if Java Miss which i had in low light for awhile but I've put the new light in the tank, which is brighter, but probably not excellent plant-growing material.

Attachment 278139

So high tech, huh? But it works, and it was cheap too. Just growing Java Moss which I've heard is basically the plant version of a Cockroach, i.e. indestructible. So yeah!

LayzorBeams 09-17-2015 04:54 PM

Also i put the new Sponge filter on it, its going to stay there after it grows some BB, and i will take off the HOB to reduce flow for the Betta. The HOB will probably end up on a 5 or 10 with a DP.

The sponge filter is actually pretty hideable, it a duel one and not to big and bulky. I will get it filled with BB and then put one of its sponges on a different sponge filter (i ordered a few online) so that they are both able to support a little bit of fish as the BB population grows.

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 07:11 PM

I really want to punch something...

Just found the Betta with one of the females trying to escape him, two more floating with fins torn, and another one is MIA... He just killed off a solid $40 in new fish, possibly up to $55 depending on if he did kill the males or if they died of other causes.

ERRRRAAAAHHHGGGHHH!

... 😡

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

PoppaRyno 09-25-2015 07:13 PM

Doh, Your breeding these! Why keep them with other species? You got this dude. Welcome to breeding, lol.

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 07:20 PM

I was waiting to get a fish out of the 20, as well as for the sponge filter to cycle... I was NOT planning on it being anything more than a couple of weeks...

And i know its a thing that happens... But that was a helluva lot of non-refundable money that i just shoved down the crapper. Not happy with myself OR Mr. Betta.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 07:22 PM

And the fish in the 20 was a Texas i was trying to beef up a bit, i sold him yesterday because I've as going to the LfS and he wasn't really part of the breeding group... So the Endlers had a chance with the Betta but none with the Tex.

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 07:23 PM

On the flip side of the coin, ive decided to use the 20 as a sump for the 75 at some point. And am going to be using a bunch of 2.5s and 5 gallons to breed both Guppy/Endler and Killis.

Andy Sager 09-25-2015 07:26 PM

Breeding for money is different than keeping fish in a fish tank. If you want fry to sell, you want nothing in the tank that can eat the fry. Doesn't matter what kind of fry it is. There is a reason why Bettas are known as Siamese Fighting Fish and that name should not be take lightly. More Bettas will attack anything that has colors like them so mixing them with Guppies or Endlers is NEVER a good idea. You are just playing with fire if you do. :nono: If you want a Betta, keep it alone or with other fish you don't care if you lose because the potential for loss is always there with a Betta.

There's your best lesson on fish breeding. :thumb: It's a lesson I'm sure you won;t need to be taught again. ;) ( Don't feel bad tho, we all have done something like this before too. :whistle:

PoppaRyno 09-25-2015 07:27 PM

Im researching sumps ATM as well. Ive got a breeding rack. Pre drilled. Sump and 500gph pump... Let the fun begin.

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Sager (Post 3286093)
Breeding for money is different than keeping fish in a fish tank. If you want fry to sell, you want nothing in the tank that can eat the fry. Doesn't matter what kind of fry it is. There is a reason why Bettas are known as Siamese Fighting Fish and that name should not be take lightly. More Bettas will attack anything that has colors like them so mixing them with Guppies or Endlers is NEVER a good idea. You are just playing with fire if you do. :nono: If you want a Betta, keep it alone or with other fish you don't care if you lose because the potential for loss is always there with a Betta.

There's your best lesson on fish breeding. :thumb: It's a lesson I'm sure you won;t need to be taught again. ;) ( Don't feel bad tho, we all have done something like this before too. :whistle:

Again; the Endlers were in there for a MAX of 2 weeks, that was what i was planning on, and the Endler females couldn't even breed quite yet anyways. I know that when I'm actually breeding them its a different game. But unless you would've suggested i put the smallest Texas, which was pulled cause it wasn't being allowed food, in the 10 with the Betta and put the Endlers in the 20, then there was nothing else to do. I wasn't planning on breeding them in the tank with the Betta, and i definitely didn't expect, however dumb on my part, the Betta to maul them. Especially not the dull females. Plus, the tank had a lot of spaces that an Endler could hide but a Betta couldn't... But such is life i suppose, even though its a pain in the donkey.

LayzorBeams 09-25-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3286094)
Im researching sumps ATM as well. Ive got a breeding rack. Pre drilled. Sump and 500gph pump... Let the fun begin.

Lol you seem further ahead in your research than i am. I am just barely getting started... Im not even sure how I'm going to power it and whatnot,but i will find a way... I hope.

Andy Sager 09-25-2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3286185)
Again; the Endlers were in there for a MAX of 2 weeks, that was what i was planning on, and the Endler females couldn't even breed quite yet anyways. I know that when I'm actually breeding them its a different game. But unless you would've suggested i put the smallest Texas, which was pulled cause it wasn't being allowed food, in the 10 with the Betta and put the Endlers in the 20, then there was nothing else to do. I wasn't planning on breeding them in the tank with the Betta, and i definitely didn't expect, however dumb on my part, the Betta to maul them. Especially not the dull females. Plus, the tank had a lot of spaces that an Endler could hide but a Betta couldn't... But such is life i suppose, even though its a pain in the donkey.

True, it's "spilled milk" now but you should have removed the betta to another container ( even a jar :eek:) for those 2 weeks so that the endlers were not in jeopardy. The Betta would have survived as I've kept thousands of them in jars for long periods of times with no ill effects. You just do more frequent water changes. But, as I said lesson learned. Time to move on. ;) :thumb:

LayzorBeams 09-26-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Sager (Post 3286191)
True, it's "spilled milk" now but you should have removed the betta to another container ( even a jar :eek:) for those 2 weeks so that the endlers were not in jeopardy. The Betta would have survived as I've kept thousands of them in jars for long periods of times with no ill effects. You just do more frequent water changes. But, as I said lesson learned. Time to move on. ;) :thumb:

Yep. Im not trying to disagree, just explain. I should've been safe instead of just going with the general opinion that they are fine together.

brennae 09-26-2015 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LayzorBeams (Post 3286077)
I really want to punch something...

Just found the Betta with one of the females trying to escape him, two more floating with fins torn, and another one is MIA... He just killed off a solid $40 in new fish, possibly up to $55 depending on if he did kill the males or if they died of other causes.

ERRRRAAAAHHHGGGHHH!

... 😡

I totally understand why you did this. I had an ancient male betta in with guppies and currently two other males in two other guppy tanks. Some bettas are ok with other fish and some are blood thirsty killers. Lol I wouldn't put a betta with fish that I was concerned about. You made an oops and learned from it. We all make mistakes. I agree with Andy that if you are ever in a similar situation putting a fish like a betta in a jar or even some Tupperware is the way to go. Sounds like you are having a string of bad luck and I hope you don't get discouraged. Things could be way worse. I once made a non fish related $500 mistake and got myself in a real mess. If you ever want a list of oops that could fill a book pm and I can guarantee a good laugh.

:)

LayzorBeams 09-26-2015 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3286228)
I totally understand why you did this. I had an ancient male betta in with guppies and currently two other males in two other guppy tanks. Some bettas are ok with other fish and some are blood thirsty killers. Lol I wouldn't put a betta with fish that I was concerned about. You made an oops and learned from it. We all make mistakes. I agree with Andy that if you are ever in a similar situation putting a fish like a betta in a jar or even some Tupperware is the way to go. Sounds like you are having a string of bad luck and I hope you don't get discouraged. Things could be way worse. I once made a non fish related $500 mistake and got myself in a real mess. If you ever want a list of oops that could fill a book pm and I can guarantee a good laugh.

:)

Yeah, i can agree i screwed up...

More than anything I'm just upset i lost the money they were worth... I complain a lot about budget problemmos but... Yeah.

brennae 09-26-2015 02:01 PM

I was just worried about you getting discouraged and leaving the hobby. You know so much and to give up would be a travesty.

PoppaRyno 09-26-2015 02:06 PM

Ballin on a budget is an artform, bruh.

LayzorBeams 09-26-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaRyno (Post 3286364)
Ballin on a budget is an artform, bruh.

Lol that made me smile :)

LayzorBeams 09-26-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brennae (Post 3286361)
I was just worried about you getting discouraged and leaving the hobby. You know so much and to give up would be a travesty.

Nahh... I wouldn't give up on it for a few fish...

It would take something a bit more than that to make me quit. This might make me change my aims a little, as in I'm not sure if i will go Endlers again or not... But i wouldn't quit from it.

And thanks for your concern :)

BANGAR 09-26-2015 07:26 PM

Just picked up 10 fish and 2 shrimp for 44$ today from a hatchery that was closin

TMRC Exotics 09-26-2015 08:40 PM

Like others have already said if you're breeding then conditions must be perfect. I saw your explanation so I won't harp on it but like Andy said, if you plan to breed endlers (or guppys) then they should be the only species present. I know it was temporary but look at the implications now. Just make sure if this is a goal to prioritize for it. I successfully bred guppies for profit for two years and made decent money. The main factors are fry survival rate and having healthy females able to produce large batches of fry. For what its worth, even at that small size those female endlers could've already been pregnant, they can breed extremely young.

Pm me if you want some extra info.

BANGAR 10-09-2015 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have three blonde tuxedo red tails hitting maturity at the moment. I picked up some new guppies though! Check out this beaut
Attachment 279003

He almost died on the way home, picked him up from a closin fish hatchery where I'm sure he was starved... That's an older picture I've fattened him up some! Got a virgin tuxedo female in their with him too!
Can't wait for the fry!!

emeraldking 10-13-2015 03:18 PM

Is this guppy already fattened up? For he looks pretty skinny in this pic...

BANGAR 10-14-2015 02:45 AM

Yeah that was when I first got him! He was definitely super skinny there! He's much healthier now