Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Looking for Cansiter Filter Suggestion for 220g (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/looking-for-cansiter-filter-suggestion-for-220g-350332.html)

CleverBs 08-05-2016 09:40 AM

Looking for Cansiter Filter Suggestion for 220g

I have put some fish into my tank that are aggressive sand sifters and I need to add a mechanical filtration system to my tank to remove all the stuff floating around. Until now I didnt run any mechanical filtration in the tank I just used a sump with some filter flow for BB. I am not looking to break the bank on this I just want something that can clean out the water to keep it clear. Been looking around and I am just not sure what I should go with as I havent owned any mechanical filtration for any of my tanks in 5-7 years

Scottishscales 08-05-2016 09:50 AM

Look into the Eheim brand external filters. I have used them a few times ,not on such a grand scale, but I've had great results with them :] they come pre filled with the media too. I've heard fluval makes a good product line as well.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

CleverBs 08-05-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottishscales (Post 3373058)
Look into the Eheim brand external filters. I have used them a few times ,not on such a grand scale, but I've had great results with them :] they come pre filled with the media too. I've heard fluval makes a good product line as well.

I have been looking at the Fluval FX6 its a bit $$$ but is looking like the only thing on the market that will handle my tank size.

Delapool 08-05-2016 09:57 AM

If I remember correctly, one member was running 4 FX6's jam-packed with filter wool.

I don't know if it is just my tank but the aqua-ones don't really clear the water.

CleverBs 08-05-2016 09:59 AM

Anyone ever seen the Aquatop CF series? Looking at the 400, its only recommended for up to 175g tanks so I am not sure if thats enough but its only 150$ right now. and has a "UV serializer" never been much of a believer in UV so I dont care much about that.

Scottishscales 08-05-2016 10:10 AM

If I read your post correctly all you want is to clarify the water not handle the whole bio load of 220gal. So a smaller one will probably adequately filter the water enough to clarify it. I use an eheim 2217 and it's rated for 175gal I think. Cram that suckered full of sponge filters, white polishers, and some carbon for good measure and it will probably do a pretty good job at keeping the water clear.

I found mine at Bigalspets.com for $136. They have some pretty good deals on eheim products and I'm sure fluval too.

CleverBs 08-05-2016 10:13 AM

I have a fluval canister filter rated for a 75 gallon tank. Maybe ill stuff that baby full of filter floss and see if it does the job and if not Ill get something bigger. I mean its cloudy water I cant even see the back of the tank.

Scottishscales 08-05-2016 10:18 AM

Try out what you have and see if it works. I know that the acurelf liquid helps clump together particulate so it can be filtered easier. If you do still need a new one after testing out your 75gal filter the Eheim 2217 is still $139 at big als with the media, tubes, and filter pads free shipping. :] let us know how it goes

Scottishscales 08-23-2016 11:29 AM

Did you have any luck with the 75gal filter?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

peacelizard 08-23-2016 07:00 PM

Does it have to be a canister? What about one or two AC110?

Barliman 08-24-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacelizard (Post 3376000)
Does it have to be a canister? What about one or two AC110?

I was thinking the same thing, with the addition of a sponge prefilter on each intake, to prevent the solids from gumming up the impellers. Throw some Biohome in the filter chamber and you'll have plenty of biological filtration, too. :brows:

acewiza 08-24-2016 10:29 AM

You want something that moves alot of water for mechanical filtration in a tank that big.