Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What have I done.... (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/what-have-i-done-355574.html)

Brookster123 02-27-2017 04:41 PM

What have I done....
 
Ok, I'm here for a reason. I impulsively set up a 29 gal fowlr and I'm only 45% sure I'm confused and 87% positive about the 45%.
29 gal
250 gal hob, empty
100 watt heater
25lbs naturals coral and 10lbs pfs mixed in
11 lb live rock
I need to buy lighting, skimmer??powerhead, fish! Fish! Def pair of clowns an anemome so my gf can tell all her friends it's just like the movie;) something for the bottom? Would a pajama cardinal be pushing it? I know this is all cliche but it's my first salty money pit and I want what I want haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sniperhank 02-27-2017 05:05 PM

Step 1, stop.
You will need 1 lbs per gallon of both sand and rock. If that is crushed coral, return it and get sand. You will be better off in the long run since food and poop just collects in that stuff.
Ditch the HOB. If you want an anemone you want pure, pristine water. Just do yourself a favor and figure out if you want to have a HOB overflow or if you want to put an overflow in for a sump. This will open up the ability to have better quality skimmer as well. Though skimmer's aren't necessary for tanks under 30 gallons, it will save you time and money over having to do large water changes on top of the weekly 10% to address any issues.
Lighting...anemone need the most intense lighting on the market. The 'best bang for your buck' is usually the chinese LED panels you can get off ebay and amazon. Previous vendor was taotronics, but there are many others from other sellers now. Get a unit that you can dim so you can add new livestock without giving them light shock.
Powerheads are needed. Bubblers cause issues in saltwater and you'll need powerheads to replace them for CO2 exchange. I normally suggest two per system for a more 'randomized' flow pattern. You want to aim for a turnover between 10-50x the water column.
And finally, welcome to the salty money pit.

Brookster123 02-27-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperhank (Post 3418452)
Step 1, stop.
You will need 1 lbs per gallon of both sand and rock. If that is crushed coral, return it and get sand. You will be better off in the long run since food and poop just collects in that stuff.
Ditch the HOB. If you want an anemone you want pure, pristine water. Just do yourself a favor and figure out if you want to have a HOB overflow or if you want to put an overflow in for a sump. This will open up the ability to have better quality skimmer as well. Though skimmer's aren't necessary for tanks under 30 gallons, it will save you time and money over having to do large water changes on top of the weekly 10% to address any issues.
Lighting...anemone need the most intense lighting on the market. The 'best bang for your buck' is usually the chinese LED panels you can get off ebay and amazon. Previous vendor was taotronics, but there are many others from other sellers now. Get a unit that you can dim so you can add new livestock without giving them light shock.
Powerheads are needed. Bubblers cause issues in saltwater and you'll need powerheads to replace them for CO2 exchange. I normally suggest two per system for a more 'randomized' flow pattern. You want to aim for a turnover between 10-50x the water column.
And finally, welcome to the salty money pit.

I stopped, I stopped, so it's nature's argonite sand mixed with pool filter sand, approx 35lbs total. I was hoping I could add dead rock as live rock is quite expensive. The hob is on there for flow until I get the power heads in, 2 Hydor 450's should work?? If I keep the hob and just load it with phos gard and purigen, it will have no ability to catch/trap detritus?? The Marsaqua 165watt dimmable led panel is where I'm leaning. Good reviews and $100 is a steal right? Not sure what you mean by bubblers? Like an air stone? Using 100%Rodi off the jump. Def not doing a sump. Open to skimmer ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

54seaweed 02-27-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Ok, I'm here for a reason. I impulsively set up a 29 gal fowlr and I'm only 45% sure I'm confused and 87% positive about the 45%.
that's funny :lol:No need to be confused if you can handle the fresh side the salty side will be a breeze, it's not as hard as it sounds so don't get intimidated

now what type of clowns are you looking at as they grow to different sizes , Ocellaris Clownfish and True Percula Clownfish both grow to about 3 inch
and would most likely be your best choices.

PJ Cardinals grow to about 3 1/2 inch and do better in pairs . both in 29 would be just a bit crowded .

this is a easy way to look at it put a 12 x 12 sheet of paper up to the tank, that is how much room they take up then you have to account for rock and sand before swimming room , now a gobie would work and look at this little guy your girlfriend would fall in love with him .

https://www.liveaquaria.com/images/ca...71419-goby.jpg

If you do decide to go with something like him the sub-straight (25lbs naturals coral and 10lbs pfs mixed in) wouldn't work as the coral bits would cut him up . you would need to go with sand , you may want to consider the black sand it makes the fish stand out .

I know you know this part but don't forget to cycle the tank . just had to slip that in .

here's a thought since your good with planted tanks you should try a SW planted macro tank . I had a blast with mine when I had it . I still intend on another some day .

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attac...7be4343843.jpg

look forward to seeing your new end-ever :thumb:

yes you can use dry base rock john at reef cleaners always has a good deal on it .

bubblers meaning air stones
Save
Save

bribo12 02-27-2017 06:25 PM

Finally joined the dark side eh?!?!
A pair of clowns and a pj cardinal would be fine. I have a banggai in my 40 and while he's fairly good size it doesn't really move much lol. If you're gonna get an anemone capable light why not just make it into a reef tank??

Brookster123 02-27-2017 06:34 PM

I got everyone's attention!! I stink at remembering names of stuff sometimes. It's sand. It's from ft Lauderdale haha. The lfs I got the lr at has the smaller tank bred clowns, basic, most common. They look amazing to me so they're coming home, a purple dotty back caught my eye as well?? Tank will be in cycle for the next few weeks, I'm in no rush to stock, had to set it up as I havnt set a new tank up in months and I was start to shake. I've read/heard conflicting ideals on introducing an ammonia source with the lr, guy said the die off should sustain alone, I feel like a couple cubes of frozen brine in a mesh sack can't hurt? The whole raw shrimp even?? I havnt (had to) cycled a tank in a while. I was thinking using lr would the equivelant of using established media in a fw system. Enough of it and presto...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster123 02-27-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bribo12 (Post 3418498)
Finally joined the dark side eh?!?!
A pair of clowns and a pj cardinal would be fine. I have a banggai in my 40 and while he's fairly good size it doesn't really move much lol. If you're gonna get an anemone capable light why not just make it into a reef tank??

I've joined the dark side 5 times now!! How much darker can it get? Need night vision goggles to enjoy the tank. Having spent countless dollars and hours on leds.. If it's dimmable, why not get something with potential?? I want a few soft coral for sure. Ease on in to the pitfall right?? Mars aqua??anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
go for it I just picked up a pair love them
they will handle anything you throw at them

Brookster123 02-27-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 3418563)
go for it I just picked up a pair love them
they will handle anything you throw at them

The Mars led panels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:23 PM

I just added a pict
yes the mars leds
look at the post before this

Brookster123 02-27-2017 08:25 PM

They seem highly focused??that a 90 gallon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:26 PM

yup they work better than my old tao tronics
2 of them do the job of 3 of my old ones

Brookster123 02-27-2017 08:28 PM

So suspended 8" above a 30" tank, should look pretty nice ??


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:33 PM

mine are 10 inch above some go a little higher but I like no shadows it actually improved growth plus all the rock nems on the center rock love it

bribo12 02-27-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brookster123 (Post 3418571)
So suspended 8" above a 30" tank, should look pretty nice ??


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app



Should be fine. Idk much about the lights but I'm assuming they're like the eBay panels right?

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:36 PM

the lights in that pict are set white just turned on no upward par blues about 50% from the turn on point

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:41 PM

this is where I got them same as the galaxy model just 15 watts stronger on the site they say 165w but on the light says 170w
2PCS-MarsAqua-Dimmable
she has singles also

54seaweed 02-27-2017 08:44 PM

If I knew when I bought mine you were going to want one I would have ordered the three pack would have brought the price down to $75 a light could have saved a few bucks

Brookster123 02-27-2017 08:48 PM

This is the little guy?https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimm.../dp/B017GWDF7E

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster123 02-27-2017 08:49 PM

I'll keep them up further, start at 16". Going to make a funky little suspension setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.