Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Fish stokcing question for a 35hex (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fish-stokcing-question-for-a-35hex-89833.html)

locorosa 01-15-2007 02:34 PM

Fish stokcing question for a 35hex

I have an established 35 hex I am going to move goldfish out of and add some tropicals to.
What I am considering is three to five of each:

Cardinal Tetras
Emperor tetras
Marble Hatchets
German Rams
+ a couple of Panda Corys

Am I correect in assuming a 35 hex should be considered more like a 25 standard as it's such a tall tank? We also have a Penguin HOB with a bio-wheel. I will add some air bubbble as well but is this enough filtration? I can't imagine needing more after having 4 fat goldies in there. :)

What type of plants should we consider in there...nothing too fancy or troublesome?
I've also got some driftwood but was considering some slate instead.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks gang!

neilanh 01-15-2007 05:41 PM

I can't speak on bioloading, but with your tetras I'll regurgitate a suggestion someone passed on to me in my thread.

Tetras will generally be happier in a single larger school. I wanted to house 2 groups of 3 tetras each, and it was recommended to do a single school of 6 of the same type, as you're not guarunteed the different types of tetras will hang out together.

Just a thought...

JDogg 01-15-2007 05:58 PM

i think you will be ok on the bio-load, but as neilanh said i too would suggest a school or either the Cardinals OR the Emperor tetras not both. you mentioned plants that at not to "fancy or troublesome" to mean that means you want low mantainace low light, NO CO2 and NO ferts..right. if that is the case i would look into Java Fern, Java Moss and Elodea for plants. the fern and moss can be attached to the wood you say you have and the Elodea will will nice and tall.

locorosa 01-15-2007 09:16 PM

Sweet guys! Thanks...

I wonder if I could run both schools with 6 in each. Probably too many? Are the Rams and Hatchets the same way or will they be ok in 3's?

I will check into those plants. I might eventually try something higher maintenance but for now just want to get my feet wet a tiny little bit.

JDogg 01-15-2007 09:34 PM

i would gowith just a pair of the rams one male and one female. you could go one male with 2 females but the "odd girl out" might get picked on.

MyCatsDrool 01-15-2007 09:39 PM

hatchets are schoolers also, but very under appreciated, beautiful fish. especially the marbles.

locorosa 01-16-2007 01:30 AM

I agree about the hatchets. I went to a tropical fish store with my mom last week, one I haven't been to in years (not telling how old I am) and they had some marble hatchets. They are really cool fish!!! I can't recall having ever seeing them before. I tend to look at the goldfish and nothing else.
I came home with a Panda Cory, totally new to me as I have two albinos, and I am getting some more. They also had a Longfin Cory...very cool!
They also had some German Rams, orange or red, those guys were pretty neat too. I would like to see the blue Rams. They sound interesting!

ksfishguy 01-16-2007 01:30 PM

1 Koi Angel!

locorosa 01-16-2007 09:16 PM

They are pretty but aren't they aggressive? I have a guy here locally that has a breeding pair...they are HUGE! He has some babies right now...

JDogg 01-17-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locorosa
They are pretty but aren't they aggressive? I have a guy here locally that has a breeding pair...they are HUGE! He has some babies right now...

angles aggressive, depends what you are comparing them to. more aggressive then a guppy (and i have seen some aggressive guppies ;) ) but not as aggressive as a Green Terror :D

basically i would only keep one, maybe two if they are a m/f pair in that tank. and as long as you do not have other "large-ish" fish and nothing small enough they can eat you should be ok!

ksfishguy 01-24-2007 11:53 AM

I keep one angel in my 42 gallon tall hex. He looks awesome and pretty much keeps to himself. The only fish he had it out with were other angels that I tried to introduce before I realized the "footprint" wasn't big enough for more angels.