Help, too many guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a fish that would eat some guppies? I have a 40 gallon long, tank and i have about 50 guppies so far. I did not know guppies produce so fast. I do not have anymore tanks for the guppies. And I do not have enough any where else for another tank.

Is there a fish that would eat some guppies? I have a 40 gallon long, tank and i have about 50 guppies so far. I did not know guppies produce so fast. I do not have anymore tanks for the guppies. And I do not have enough any where else for another tank.
I'm sorry but I have to say it, " I told you so." ;) This is the blessing/ curse of livebearers. Too many too fast and not enough room for them all. This is why you want all males to avoid this situation. (y)

For the future, you can put the newborn fry into the other 40 with the Tetras and they should eat them. For the extra adults, I suggest since you don't want to do shipping and don't have a spare tank to house another fish that will eat them, gather up some ( include most of the females) and take them to your local store and if they won't give you store credit or money for them, leave them there for them to feed to their fish. Your other option is to just euthanize the overflow of fish.

A friend decided to combine her children's small tanks into one 75g. Axolotls, a goldfish, guppies, and varieties of small fish all went in together. As she'd been warned, once the goldfish got out of the small space and into the large, it began to grow. But then she noticed that fish were disappearing, one by one. A guppy. A couple little guys. Another guppy. She thought it was the axolotls but close observation for two weeks (the whole family was in on this project) revealed that they were too lazy and well-fed, as well as staying on the bottom, to go after the fish. The goldfish was the culprit, and eventually every guppy plus anyone else too slow became Goldy fodder (her 9 yr old daughter named it. I suggested a rename of Killer).

A friend decided to combine her children's small tanks into one 75g. Axolotls, a goldfish, guppies, and varieties of small fish all went in together. As she'd been warned, once the goldfish got out of the small space and into the large, it began to grow. But then she noticed that fish were disappearing, one by one. A guppy. A couple little guys. Another guppy. She thought it was the axolotls but close observation for two weeks (the whole family was in on this project) revealed that they were too lazy and well-fed, as well as staying on the bottom, to go after the fish. The goldfish was the culprit, and eventually every guppy plus anyone else too slow became Goldy fodder (her 9 yr old daughter named it. I suggested a rename of Killer).
Do you really want to encourage housing a fish ( goldfish large enough to eat Guppies) in a 40 gallon tank? What does she do with it when all the Guppies are gone? :unsure:

The guppies are gone, and right now she has a variety of small fish in there. It's possible she got them to see if that's going to be for the goldfish, similar to us getting some 19¢ fish to be diversion and food for our crawfish. I suppose if Goldy does eat them, they'll go back to feeding fish food. Not sure what the plan is there, I believe it's still under discussion.

The only little fish I've ever had were feeders. I guess I was not thinking about saving the little guys sorry guppie lovers

The guppies are gone, and right now she has a variety of small fish in there. It's possible she got them to see if that's going to be for the goldfish, similar to us getting some 19¢ fish to be diversion and food for our crawfish. I suppose if Goldy does eat them, they'll go back to feeding fish food. Not sure what the plan is there, I believe it's still under discussion.
I was talking about encouraging Pettgil with a goldfish as an option. It's a very poor option IMO especially considering that Goldfish do not handle/ digest animal protein as well as plant protein so feeding them fish is not in their best interest let alone being in a 40 gallon tank even with it being a 40 long.
As for your friends situation, she should be feeding the goldfish a different diet than the other fish (unless they too are goldfish) if she wants a healthy goldfish. It shouldn't be a " if it eats them....." kind of thing.

I agree, and it may not have been clear enough from my reportage that the disappearing fish and observation that the goldfish was the culprit was a surprise to their family. They had no idea a goldfish would want to eat other fish, especially as they maintained its usual plant protein diet. As the subject is still under discussion there, I will show your comment to her. You've had vastly more experience, they are new at this (only a year into fish keeping) and I'm sure they'll appreciate the input while making a decision.

I agree, and it may not have been clear enough from my reportage that the disappearing fish and observation that the goldfish was the culprit was a surprise to their family. They had no idea a goldfish would want to eat other fish, especially as they maintained its usual plant protein diet. As the subject is still under discussion there, I will show your comment to her. You've had vastly more experience, they are new at this (only a year into fish keeping) and I'm sure they'll appreciate the input while making a decision.
All part of the learning curve. ;) Hope it helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom